Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#460960 - 03/25/13 04:38 PM Buying Food/Getting Food to Belize
Crash Davis Offline
Hi Everyone!

Forgive me if I missed a post addressing this; I did a search but didn't find my particular issue.

I am part of a group of about 9-10 people coming down to AC in a few months. We are staying at a house, and are going to need to buy groceries.

The owner of the house has told us about a new service where you are picked up at the Belize City airport, then taken to a grocery store in Belize City, then take a ferry over to the house.

My questions are:

Has anyone used this service before, and is it the huge cost saver I have been told (30% less than AC)? Are grocery prices in Belize City (relatively) comparable to the states?

Besides the normal prohibited foods like meats, dairy, vegetables/fruits, can I fill my luggage with items like English muffins, cereals, vegetable oil, etc. to try to save money?

Is there a shipping service that can deliver boxes of items to the island or the house? A friend has told me that UPS offers real great rates for boxes shipped to some places (i.e. no rush to Paris = $30).

And most importantly, do I buy Belikin at the distribution center in AC?

Thanks very much!

-Crash

#460963 - 03/25/13 05:30 PM Re: Buying Food/Getting Food to Belize [Re: Crash Davis]
Phil Offline
Is the saving of a couple of hundred dollars split between the ten of you in the group worth the extra time and hassle. If yes do it. If not don't.

If it's not contact Lagniappe Provisioning if staying South or around Town or Mata Grande if staying North and let them provision your house and enjoy your holiday to the max.

#460964 - 03/25/13 06:17 PM Re: Buying Food/Getting Food to Belize [Re: Crash Davis]
Crash Davis Offline
Thanks for the response Phil. Personally, I've been of that mindset for a while (just trying to convince others). Even though a can of corn is like $3.00, I think it's worthwhile to just have everything there and ready to go at the house so we don't have to worry about it. And even a provisioner's bill of $1000 is only $100 per person versus $70 per person doing it ourselves. It's a vacation after all!

#460966 - 03/25/13 07:37 PM Re: Buying Food/Getting Food to Belize [Re: Crash Davis]
t42 Offline
Sounds like you are talking about Tropic Ferry and it is a great service. They pick you up and can/will stop to shop and then the ferry takes you right to your place. Groceries are cheaper on the mainland and for beer yes buy it at the distributor on AC.

#460971 - 03/25/13 08:45 PM Re: Buying Food/Getting Food to Belize [Re: Crash Davis]
Phil Offline
I had guests use Tropic Ferry last month off their own back. They missed a connecting flight in US due to bad weather and caught the later Dallas flight to Belize. They emailed Tropic Ferry to tell them but they weren't there to meet them at Intl. They had to make their own way to the Water Taxi, which they made the last one by the skin of their teeth. Problems happens I guess, the measure is how it's dealt with. They had had no response to emails or phone messages from Tropic Ferry four days into the trip and the office had moved that week with no notice or forwarding details. Don't know how it ended or if they had prepaid as I forgot to ask about it later in the trip, but they weren't impressed and I wouldn't use it for my guests now.

Distributor will cost you about Bz$50 per case IF you take the empty bottles and case back there. Saving ~US$5. Is it worth the hour schlepping back and forth and effort for 20 cents per beer? I know when I'm on holiday that isn't happening.

#460980 - 03/25/13 10:14 PM Re: Buying Food/Getting Food to Belize [Re: Phil]
Bluebird Offline
We used Tropic Ferry in November, January and March with no problems. Perhaps calling their cell phone number would be better than email.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.