Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

vlcsnap-2013-03-28-20h11m56s84The Tuesday and Friday market is to be relocated.� The Belmopan City Council has faced an exhaustive two plus years of finding a location to place the Belmopan Farmers Market. In June of last year it was agreed on by all parties that the Market would remain at its current location but that upgrades would be done. So when residents of Piccini and Picinni Extension saw that works were taking place at Blogo Park about two weeks ago and later learned that the market would be relocated to the area, it was a cause for major concern and even prompted a petition against having the market being place there.�

vlcsnap-2013-03-28-20h10m13s108Plus news spoke with Sab Morales of the Belmopan City Council who told us that the council was considering to place the Tuesday and Friday Market at the Blogo Park Location temporarily as works on the existing market will commence in early April. That time period would have been for one year but residents of the area would have none of it. Morales told us that the council has now decided to place the Tuesday and Friday Market at the Agricultural and Trade Show grounds starting next month, which is where it will be located there for the next 12 months. The Council received a grant of 2.2 million BZE dollars from the European Union, through its Rural Development Project for the construction and upgrading of the market.

PlusTV

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Consruction Works To Start At Belmopan Market; Vendors Unhappy

The Belmopan City Council has announced that due to work that is soon to commence in the market area, vendors will have to be temporarily relocated.  The venue selected is the show grounds in Belmopan but some of the vendors are not in agreement.  Earlier today a group of the vendors staged an impromptu demonstration.  Correspondent Fem Cruz was there and filed this story.

FEM CRUZ

"A number of vendors from the Tuesday and Friday market days here in the City of Belmopan were having a peaceful demonstration this afternoon when they were stopped by the police because of not having a permit to demonstrate.  Ms. Marisa Logan, the organizer of this afternoon's demonstration will explain."

MARISSA LOGAN

"We were having a peaceful demonstration; we were coming to speak to the Mayor about our concern. The concern is that Friday will be the last day we sell out there, then we must go to the show grounds on the 16th to sell.  Out there is so dangerous to go sell and we won’t sell anything; we usually sell to the students, the police officers, the office people and I don't think we can have business out there; nothing can sell out there, we were there before; so I come to the office to speak to Mr. Lopez and they did not want to accept me to speak to him.  The secretary told us that on no grounds she will assist us if it’s about the market.  I don’t know what we will have to do because this is not correct for us.  We live, we educate our children, we live out at the market; we go out there 2:30am, we leave at 5pm. It’s hard work that we do out there; how will the people get their vegetables? what will happen who, will go buy at the show grounds? nobody; and we know that show grounds it’s not good to sell at.  They said that they had three meetings; I couldn’t go to the three meetings because I was sick; they have a location that they mentioned behind social security; they were asking that they have three: one by Social Security, Show Grounds and some other place that is far and they want to charge us $100.00 monthly for social security behind there. I am willing, all of my people are willing to take that; either or neither, we have to try it.  So, we are asking the Mayor to do something for us because we live from out there."

FEM CRUZ

Betty Pelayo  is one of those concerned vendors; she expresses her concern.

BETTY PELAYO

"Ms. Logan spoke of it too and it is not secure place and we are moving the 16th but we don't want to go to the show grounds.  People are afraid to go buy there, they are afraid to get robbed out there and it is really an unsafe place out there so we are begging the Mayor to please give us a second chance or a second opportunity to us because we educate our children just as how Ms. Logan said and we really need help, we need the assistance."

FEM CRUZ

"This is Brother Fem Cruz reporting from the nation's capital City of Belmopan for Love FM."

We are still awaiting word from the Belmopan City Council in response to the concerns raised by the vendors.  Mayor Simeon Lopez has indicated that the vendors will have to move by next Tuesday.

LOVEFM

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.