Feeling for some Caribbean flavor?
½ cups brown sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 egg, beaten
3 cups flour
5 tablespoons ginger beer syrup (optional)
½ teaspoon mixed spice (or ¼ teaspoon each nutmeg and cinnamon)
1 cup mixed fruits (mixed peel, raisins)
Diced maraschino (bottled) cherries
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 bottle Guinness or Dragon stout
Approximately 2 tablespoons food browning
1. Blend butter and sugar until smooth.
2. Sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
3. Add this along with the egg to the butter and sugar mixture, and blend smoothly.
4 To this add stout and fruits and blend. Add browning, mixing to an even colour.
5. Place in a greased baking tin about 10 x 4 ins, and sprinkle top with some fruits and cherries.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. When almost done brush top with a syrup made from sugar and water, or a little honey, to give a glaze, and return to oven for a few minutes. Bun is done when a knife or toothpick inserted, comes out clean.