Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46174 - 12/17/01 10:26 PM Coconuts Caribbean Hotel Report
Gela Offline
Some of you were interested in a report about Coconuts, so here it is. I just returned from my stay (December 8 to December 15) and in a word, it was "Fantastic"!

First, both David and Karina no longer work at Coconuts. The impression I got was that they are sorely missed by their fellow workers and repeat guests are very sad as well. The young ladies working at the front desk are not "well seasoned" but try very hard to be helpful and accommodating. I believe this is a delicate subject, so I will say no more.

There are 14 rooms - two have recently been created (a few months back?) From what used to be the office and breakfast area of the hotel. I stayed in one of the new rooms (room 5) which is small but perfect for one or perhaps two people. It has a larger shower , a small wooden table and 2 chairs. This room had remote control air conditioning and a good ceiling fan. Ice water in a thermos is put in your room every day and some how housekeeping know exactly when your out of your room to sneak in and clean. They have televisions available upon request for about $5 a day extra. The only thing really missing at Coconuts is a small refrigerator.

Breakfast consists of fresh cut up fruit (watermelon, pineapple, usually some other type of melon), 2 choices of fresh muffins and a wonderful bread that you can toast. Jam, butter are offered as well as 3 fruit juices (not fresh squeezed though) and coffee. It was wonderful to collect breakfast and sit out under the large fig tree watching the sun come up over the water. The hotel also offers you a $10 BZ lunch if you notify them around 9:00am in the morning. The lunch is what is prepared for the employees that day. I enjoyed a rice and beans and pork lunch that was wonderful. You really feel like family here.

The Bar: Margie and Ada are terrific ladies. I really enjoyed talking to them and they make very fine drinks at reasonable prices. Margie will gladly play a game of dominos with you but beware - she's really good. Ada will proudly show you pictures of her two daughters and they both play great island music at the bar.

Bicycles are available and are free. You must return them before 5:30pm and they provide you with a lock to make sure they don't get stolen. I'll warn you - if you ride for any length of time - put a towel on the seat! (My butt STILL hurts). Another warning - at this moment in time, the road is being dug up around Ramon's to install drainage pipes. It's a little tricky to maneuver around the workers with bikes, carts, cabs and trucks. This work should be completed soon. I am told that the road will be paved with bricks like it is around the Market. This will be great for drivers on the road but not so great for the ambiance of the island.

Large beach towels are available for your use - if you don't return them, there's a $20US charge. There are four wooden beach chairs with cushions and 3 strung hammocks for your lounging pleasure right in front of the bar.

The Barge: Well, I have to agree with everyone, the barge was a great source of entertainment. You really don't hear the noise after the first day. They average 1 to 2 barges a day. Workers feverishly unload with dozers and trucks and hall it away as fast as they can. Be sure to stop at the stop sign just south of Coconuts if you're headed that way - you may get run over by one of those trucks coming off the barge! Now the good news is, the last barge for the year will be here on December 27. New barges will come after the first of the year (I was told this by the workers themselves). The even better news is that the Barge unloading area will be moving to the lagoon side some time next year. They are building a new condo type hotel right next door to Coconuts and right in front of the barge area.

I hope you find this information helpful. My apologies for the epic writing - there was just too much to say about Coconuts!

#46175 - 12/18/01 12:08 AM Re: Coconuts Caribbean Hotel Report
B_b_f_b Offline
Great report Gela, sorry to hear about your butt, just rebooked my trip to AC for January, staying at Banana Beach again, couldn't resist, did you see my dog KJwanker around?

#46176 - 12/18/01 01:03 AM Re: Coconuts Caribbean Hotel Report
Gela Offline
That's great news Becky! I am so glad I returned. I'll be posting a few more things soon.

I did see KJ-wanker - he was chumming around with some of his buddies on the beach - he wanted me to be sure to wish you a
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW!

#46177 - 12/18/01 01:24 AM Re: Coconuts Caribbean Hotel Report
B_b_f_b Offline
I'm going to get you Gela, where'd you get that memory from. Geeze Louise. Anwyay, thanks for the well wishes and I'm glad you had fun in AC, can't wait to read more about your trip.

Becky.

#46178 - 12/18/01 03:57 AM Re: Coconuts Caribbean Hotel Report
Dana Offline
Go to LiveInParadise.com and click on Belize on top of the first page and there are a couple of pics of Coconuts to help you relive your trip.

#46179 - 12/18/01 04:51 AM Re: Coconuts Caribbean Hotel Report
denverdan Offline
Nice to hear more good things about the AC Gela! Thanks.

AND... Oh my gosh.... HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECKY!!!

#46180 - 12/18/01 03:05 PM Re: Coconuts Caribbean Hotel Report
Sandcrab Offline
Gela,

Thanks for the great report on Coconuts, one of my faves. I am distressed to hear about David and Karina leaving coconuts.

Would you consider contacting me by e-mail. I have some questions you may be able to answer.

Jim
sandcrab@bigfoot.com

#46181 - 12/18/01 05:26 PM Re: Coconuts Caribbean Hotel Report
CHOOCHOO Offline
Hmmmmm, ya spent three overlapping days only 100 yards away, and we didn't see ya again. Hmmmmmmmm, perhaps we weren't being on our very best behavior Sunday noon at you-know-where, doing you-know-what.

Anybody know where David and Karina went?

#46182 - 12/18/01 05:46 PM Re: Coconuts Caribbean Hotel Report
LaurieMar Offline
Thanks for the report on Coconuts, Gela. Still deciding where and when I am going. Sounds like you had a great time!!

Cheers and Happy Holidays to you.

Laurie

#46183 - 12/18/01 06:23 PM Re: Coconuts Caribbean Hotel Report
Gela Offline
Thanks to everyone for your posts.

Sandcrab, I'll email you soon.

ChooChoo - I believe your vision may have been clouded by those blue thingies :-) Were you staying at Woody's? Based on your advise at you know where, I didn't drink you know what anywhere. It is amazing that you can run into everyone everywhere or no one at all. It was a pleasure to finally meet you and your wife (oh, that's right she was out shopping ;-).)

[This message has been edited by Gela (edited 12-18-2001).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,045 Topics
462,253 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.