Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#462625 04/18/13 09:11 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I will be traveling to Belize next month. I want to try to use my iPhone on Digicel with a prepaid sim. I am working on getting it unlocked.

Does anyone know if Digicel sells prepaid nano sims that work in an iPhone 5?

Thanks!

Yes they do. I think they are $50 BZ with $10 credit. However.... you will need to register the card at the phone company before it can be used so be sure to go to the phone company armed with your passport and the device and be willing to spend about an hour registering the card.

C
OP Offline
C
ok, thanks. An hour to buy a sim card! Thats crazy. You can just pick them up off the shelf here in the US

Yes and being able to buy "disposable" phones is one of the reasons the US is vulnerable to untraceable terrorists.

Here in Belize our sim cards are registered to an owner - and I believe that the phone devices themselves will be registered to an owner too soon. This means that there is a starting point for authorities to begin a search in cases where criminal activity is suspected. This should help them to quickly track down and apprehend kidnappers, terrorists, drug dealers etc. Sure we have to give up some of our "rights to privacy," but I have nothing to hide so it doesn't bother me. And it might end up protecting me and my family.

C
OP Offline
C
I understand, and don't mind registering. I just want to save time. But remember your cell phone networks are open to devices from anywhere, they are just very expensive to use. Prepaid anonymous phones can be bought in many countries and then used in Belize.

I need to local sim because I don't want to accumulate a massive bill during my time in belize. I doubt this is a concern for drub dealers and terrorists.

S
S
It's the law in Mexico and other countries and likely it will be adopted in the US at some point in time. The days of disposable phones are numbered.

C
OP Offline
C
update: i was able to buy a nano sim at the BTL office in belize city. I believe it was only $22BD. No cutting of sim required.

drub dealers??

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.