Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: Understanding the Crocodile
It’s been three years since I was last in Belize, but part of me felt like I never left. Maybe it’s because I am just continuing what I started- investigating how human pollution and disturbances are affecting parasites and disease in the crocodiles of Belize. Many people ask, “Why do you care about what happens to crocodiles?” If you REALLY understand about how the environment works, you know that crocodiles are on top of the food chain where they live, they are like the lions of the jungle, the king. And if something bad happens to them, it will be a negative domino effect on the rest of the Marisa Tellezenvironment, even effecting humans. Anytime there has been mass populations of crocodilians dying, or being killed senselessly, it always comes back and bites people in the butt, either through food (because the fish disappear), or through economy (because many communities use crocodilians as a way of ecotourism, some African villages have become VERY successful and economically stable based on this).

Reading The San Pedro Sun at Comox Glacier, Canada
It’s really fun to receive photos from readers all over the world with their copy of The San Pedro Sun. To think that they take the time to pack a copy of the paper, and while enjoying the sights, sounds, smells and other fabulous things on their travel, they actually remember to unpack it and snap a quick picture to share with us! (darn it, sand got in our eyes…excuse us…sniffle…)

Belize’s environmental giant Lionel “Chocolate’ Heredia memorialized
On April 12, 2013, Belize lost a giant in the conservation world in the person of Lionel “Chocolate” Heredia. Chocolate passed away in Caye Caulker around 1:30PM on that Friday afternoon, with his beloved wife Annie by his side. His death is a significant loss to Belize as he impacted the country and the tourism industry in ways that are so far-reaching. Of special significance was his fight for the Swallow Caye Manatee Reserve.

Misc Belizean Sources

Tarr trying to shape Belize program into a winner
Darwin Leslie has no problem looking a person in the eye, enveloping his oversized hand when greeting someone and telling you how lucky he is as he stood in Gillen Gymnasium at John F. Kennedy High School. He is one of the coaches on the up and coming Belize basketball program chock full of high-school age players that is scheduled to play in the King James Shooting Stars Classic Friday through April 28 inside the Akron Sports Center. The Belize team had its first practice in the U.S. Saturday afternoon at JFK. "We've never had this in the existence of Belize," Leslie, 31, said. "This is a new world to these kids and to us, the coaches." This is Akeem Watters' second trip to the United States from his native land in Central America. He and a handful of Belize players made the trip the King James Classic last season.

Earth Day Tree Planting
The U.S. Embassy took some time out to celebrate Earth Day and plant some trees at Belmopan's Our Lady of Guadelupe HS. "Tree Planting/Clean-Up at Our Lady of Guadalupe High School"

Add!ction at Belize Fashion Week
Gabriela Barrera has uploaded a short video with her creations that were shown during Belize Fashion Week. Cayo was represented well. Nice job, Gabriella! "Add!ction's First Runways at Belize Fashion Week 2013.... hope you all like it . Posting the second runways soon"

Belize Zoo Night Tour
Our group was very impressed with the Belize Zoo accommodations and night tour. We rented Pond houses for 82USD for the night including breakfast and dinner, 20usd per extra person per room and the night tour was 60USD for 7.5 of us. Cindy and Marie decided the couples would each get a pond house, I told he could Forrest bunk with us when we found out there was an open style 2 bedroom one. After paying we did a house tour. The three pond houses were all had a rustic cottage feel, ours was the perfect spot to host the party. The only thing that was missing was a non screened in viewing area like the smaller houses had. The layout was super cool though and we had loads of sleeping options. 2 double beds on one side and split with a half wall made up of Bathroom and beside it kitchen on the other side was 1 double bed and a single. Both sleeping areas had their own bathroom and veranda entrance. I almost forgot rooms also came with ceiling fans and standing fans. Dinner was meatballs with rice and beans but we opted to go have a bite to eat at a restaurant before our tour and then do a potluck pig out later. We had enough food and drinks to survive a famine After we ate we all agreed a short nap time was in order then everyone would meet up at our place and head off for the 7pm tour.

“I’m Down” in Ambergris Caye, Belize
Spent a bit of time yesterday morning researching a door lock that we had been told about . It’s the Millennium Ultimate Lock. This is the lock that we will be using on all external doors on the Ground Floor and the First Floor of our build in Ambergris Caye, Belize.. Then spent a couple of hours on the PC trying out different tile combinations (the website I used allows you to see what the effect would be) for my bathroom. I have found what I want but now need to find out if they have them in stock. Fingers crossed. If not, it is back to the drawing board! With that out of the way I then arranged the wire transfer for the fifty percent deposit for the golf cart that we have ordered from Captain Sharks. Using FC Exchange (the foreign currency exchange ‘house’ we have been using to convert sterling to US dollars) this only took a few minutes. Time out for lunch and then we headed to Tres Cocos to our build in Ambergris Caye, Belize to review progress. Walking from the golf cart there didn’t appear to be a lot of guys around. Alfredo out front clearing rubbish and one guy working in the living/kitchen room area of the Ground Floor self-contained apartment. He was creating the recesses that the windows will fit in to.

International Sources

Belizo Zoo – One Woman’s Dream To Save The Endangered Jaguar!
There is no doubt about it that Sharon Matola is passionate about what she does: saving lives one at a time. The lives of animals that is. The biologist and environmentalist is the founder and director of The Belize Zoo, which is currently the only zoo in the country. Getting to the zoo’s current state was certainly no easy task, but Matola’s determination and passion towards saving the indigenous species of Belize was steadfast. No person was going to stand in her way. The Baltimore native acquired an early interest of the natural world, attracted to anything from dogs, cats, birds, and even insects. Matola even recalls training a squirrel, by teaching it to sit on her knee and eat peanuts out of her hand. Today, a squirrel is a minuscule critter for Matola to handle for she has gained much experience working with large, exotic animals including pumas and jaguars. In 1981, she joined a traveling Mexican Circus for graduate study purposes where she trained to be a lion tamer. Matola was able to learn useful skills in handling the large cats from her Romanian trainer. He gave her clear forewarning of the many scars she would receive and bear but a willing and fearless Matola endured through it for a year.