Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#462913 - 04/22/13 08:22 PM Health Insurance for Expats
daddywags Offline
Anyone have any information about health insurance in Belize? Is there private insurance available or is it better to pay cash and have disaster coverage for major stuff? Any info would be appreciated.

#462915 - 04/22/13 08:46 PM Re: Health Insurance for Expats [Re: daddywags]
SimonB Offline
Go with a non cut rate international carrier. I use IMG. If you're a multi-millionaire you can self insure.

#462916 - 04/22/13 08:50 PM Re: Health Insurance for Expats [Re: SimonB]
daddywags Offline
Is an international carrier expensive? BUPA is the only thing I've looked at so far.

#462955 - 04/23/13 11:57 AM Re: Health Insurance for Expats [Re: daddywags]
Judyann H. Offline
We also are insured under International Medical Group....We have a small deductible and exempt from US coverage....Our rates are less than $2,000USD annually for the both of us. send me a note if you would like information about contacting an agent.
My friends call me Judyann

#462958 - 04/23/13 02:19 PM Re: Health Insurance for Expats [Re: daddywags]
robvee Offline
I think a lot depends on what you nationality is .Brits and Canadians are just a plane ride away for major surgery etc and getting a broken arm set here is under $200 so ive been told

#462959 - 04/23/13 02:30 PM Re: Health Insurance for Expats [Re: daddywags]
collyk Offline
Not so true I believe robvee. Things have changed. "The NHS is a residence-based healthcare system. Therefore, once you have moved permanently away from the UK you are no longer entitled to medical treatment under normal NHS rules." UK citizens living abroad

#462960 - 04/23/13 02:37 PM Re: Health Insurance for Expats [Re: daddywags]
robvee Offline
I havent moved permanently away , get prescriptiond sent monthly , have a family home Also Mick and Lisa went back for Lisa to have a major op. Im still a British citizen and have no problems with getting anything i want from NHS, But thx for info, think theres some flexibility

#462962 - 04/23/13 02:39 PM Re: Health Insurance for Expats [Re: daddywags]
robvee Offline
Collyk Im also in receipt of a full Gov. pension Makes a difference

#462965 - 04/23/13 03:10 PM Re: Health Insurance for Expats [Re: daddywags]
collyk Offline
robvee. It has nothing to do with citizenship. If you are a legal permanent resident in another country then legally you are no longer eligible for NHS care. Things have changed considerably in recent years. Yes there are some ways round this, but they are technically not legal.

"Under the current Department of Health Regulations, anyone spending more than three months outside the UK is no longer automatically entitled to free NHS treatment," confirms Katrina Osman, broker with IHC International. "And, therefore, NHS charges may apply for any hospital treatment received. Those in receipt of UK state pensions, and who have previously lived in the UK for a continuous period of 10 years, remain entitled to some cover, although this is dependent on their current country of residence and length of time there."

NHS Rights for Expats
Belize Wedding Photography

#462966 - 04/23/13 03:25 PM Re: Health Insurance for Expats [Re: daddywags]
robvee Offline
Ive lived outside UK since 2005 , my Doc knows that , i get meds sent to US i get full check ups when i visit UK I lived in the UK since birth and receive a full pension for me and my partner. Pension people NHS , Docs know i ;live outside UK And Mick and Lisa went back 3 yrs ago for major surgery theyve lived outside UK for 10 yrs Im not saying your wrong, but all my friends and myself have never had a problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, cracked up, 1 invisible), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,725 Topics
461,274 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.