Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46312 - 12/20/01 08:10 AM question about resorts/Captain Morgan's Retreat
BIGCAT Offline
Hello

Considering a trip to Belize in April,any thoughts on Captain Morgan's Retreat would be greatly appreciated.My wife and I are looking for a semi-secluded place with a swimmming pool,restaurant/beachside bar,AC unit with most of your standard amenities.We are also interested in scuba diving for the first time and welcome any suggestions on where we should go for this.Obviously,this is our first time to Belize.

Thank you

#46313 - 12/20/01 10:34 AM Re: question about resorts/Captain Morgan's Retreat
DOROTHY Offline
capt. morgans is nice. a little out of town. there are alot of good dive shops on the island too. as for as other hotels, victoria house is my favorite. it has a beautiful pool. also a little closer to town is ramons. you will have fun where ever you decide to stay . see you soon!!

#46314 - 12/20/01 03:07 PM Re: question about resorts/Captain Morgan's Retreat
Nicki Offline
I would also recommend Victoria House. It is secluded, yet still much more accessible to town than Captain Morgan's. Plus the beach is much nicer at Victoria House.

#46315 - 12/20/01 03:10 PM Re: question about resorts/Captain Morgan's Retreat
bromista Offline
Last year when we were there we stayed at the Banana Beach Resort. We loved it! It was a ways from town but we enjoyed to walk or just rented a golf cart. Check out the lodging page. It has really great info. We are returning to Ambergris Caye in April to be married and will stay at the Blue Tang Inn. Good Luck!

#46316 - 12/20/01 06:45 PM Re: question about resorts/Captain Morgan's Retreat
bbnx Offline
Stayed at CM a few months ago. Not impressed..... Would not recommend staying there.

#46317 - 12/20/01 09:39 PM Re: question about resorts/Captain Morgan's Retreat
BIGCAT Offline
Thank you for the advice.I had seen some info. on the website @ Victoria's Inn.What about Journey's End/any thoughts there.

#46318 - 12/20/01 11:29 PM Re: question about resorts/Captain Morgan's Retreat
Polargirl Offline
If you're looking for remote, Captain Morgan's is it for sure.

My husband and I just returned from AC two days ago after spending 16 fabulous nights on the island. We stayed at Ramons, which honestly is extremely overpriced in comparison to other accomodations. The only way we could travel up to Captain Morgan's to check it out was either by water taxi or golf cart, which by the way is out of the question if it's been raining as the road is less than a trail. This was also our first trip to AC and here is my advice. If you want to stay somewhere secluded, book at Captain Morgan's for a couple of days max, then move on over to The Palms, which is next door to Ramon's. They're beautiful condo's with full amenities, check them out at http://belizepalms.com/. You'll be a short walk from San Pedro and a good variety of restaurants, dive shops and bars. The bonus is that Ramon's has one of the nicest beaches on the island and you'll be able to share it with their guests. We prepaid our entire trip and had we not have, we would have moved out of Ramon's in a very short period of time. With the cost of meals on the island, it would have been nice to have our own kitchen. Also Ramon's has no bath tubs, TV's or clock radio's as I believe is the case at Captain Morgan's. If your visit is 7 days or less, this may not be an issue, but during the course of 16 nights one or all of these would have been a nice luxury.

In the next couple of days I'll be posting a review of our entire vacation and experience on the island, check it out, there are many things I can't wait to share with all those interested in visiting AC.

#46319 - 12/20/01 11:40 PM Re: question about resorts/Captain Morgan's Retreat
Polargirl Offline
They call it Journey's End for a reason.
Once again, very remote.

Tour companies mentioned that December 21st there isn't a room to be had on the island. If they plan on getting as busy as they hope they will, either Captain Morgan's or Journey's End may be a good way to remove yourself from the overload of people on the island. However, it's quite inconvenient to head South towards San Pedro, not impossible though, I do understand that both resorts have transportation (for a charge) southwards, but you'll be at the mercy of their schedules.

Also I should note that Captain's Morgan's Cabana's were looking a little run down when we checked them out, although they do have perhaps the only hot tub that we saw on the island and the pool and beach looked great.

If you have the money, Banyan Bay is worth looking into. http://www.banyanbay.com/ We walked (about 20 minutes from Ramon's) practically every morning to Rico's which is located at the resort for breakfast. I found it was the best breakfast for a very reasonable price and we also enjoyed their Beach BBQ a couple of times. The staff at Rico's were the friendliest we found on the island, and keyed us in to many things to do, places to go and sites to see. We found the staff at Ramon's to be less than helpful and friendly.

#46320 - 12/20/01 11:52 PM Re: question about resorts/Captain Morgan's Retreat
superfooch Offline
stayed at CM twice. First time was great, that's why there was a second time.

Second time was AWFUL. Management had completely changed, and unfortunately we had brought 17 friends with us on that trip. We had terrible service and items stolen from more than one cabana. Nothing like a resort making you feel like a bother to sell you a beer. The employees were annoyed at ANY request. The parent company didn't care at all, too busy worried about expanding the property to be concerned with guest service.

GREAT location - BAD SERVICE

I'd avaoid it at all cost, but next door is the best retauraunt on the island, capricorn RULES! and they have cabanas too!

[This message has been edited by superfooch (edited 12-20-2001).]

#46321 - 12/21/01 12:43 AM Re: question about resorts/Captain Morgan's Retreat
Jonathan Offline
It would seem from some post that Journey's End is so far removed you'd need to be air-lifted to gain entry. Geez. It's only a 10 minute ride. there is complimentary boat twice daily and the island ferry ($5) picks up every hour. Being north has advantages, little to no boat traffic, no cab, cart, truck, bulldozer, pedestrian jams. It's secluded not isolated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,029 Topics
462,230 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.