Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#463277 - 04/28/13 09:28 PM DFC area, San Pablo
Mayan Seaside Offline
Hi Everyone,

Appreciate all your help in the past with my Lawyer questions, big help (JudyAnn).

My wife and I are on the way to Belize in June for an inspection trip and of course a vacation. It has been about 9 yrs since our last visit.

We are coming to look at real estate and I am wondering what people's thoughts are about the DFC village area? Is it safe, who generally lives there? It seems we can afford a place in this area but don't want to jump until we see the neighborhood etc. A good starter home while we get things moving.

Advice?

Thanks

Peter

http://www.picassospirits.com
https://www.facebook.com/PicassoSpirits

#463282 - 04/28/13 10:05 PM Re: DFC area, San Pablo [Re: Mayan Seaside]
DogLady Offline
We have been asking this question (and similar ones) for years. I think some people are reluctant to speak out against a specific neighborhood/area for fear of offending. PLEASE, let me know what you find. We are also looking to get a cheap start so we can have time to check the businesses for sale there. Good Luck. I hope you find what you are looking for in a home.

#463295 - 04/29/13 12:27 AM Re: DFC area, San Pablo [Re: Mayan Seaside]
SimonB Offline
There are some great areas in DFC to live, the only downside is the lack of zoning. You may buy a property to find out that six months later a woodshop opens up or a bar. Look for areas that have an established group of purely residential homes with long term home owners (not rentals) and you should be fine.

#463330 - 04/29/13 06:07 PM Re: DFC area, San Pablo [Re: SimonB]
Mayan Seaside Offline
Thanks Simon for your help and advice.

http://www.picassospirits.com
https://www.facebook.com/PicassoSpirits

#463710 - 05/05/13 01:32 PM Re: DFC area, San Pablo [Re: Mayan Seaside]
DogLady Offline
What if we really don't care what moves in next door? Where would we find these properties? For sale or rent; agents don't seem to want to give out information on these less expensive house. Perhaps the commissions are not up to par? What about paying a finders fee to a family that might want to rent a couple of rooms with a yard. How would that be received?

#463713 - 05/05/13 02:30 PM Re: DFC area, San Pablo [Re: Mayan Seaside]
Inplub Offline
You may not care what moves in next door, but you could find it hard to sell if you want to move. In England the commissions for selling a house is 1.5% in Belize it is up to 10% and more. Have you tried local papers that are on line?

#463724 - 05/06/13 01:52 AM Re: DFC area, San Pablo [Re: Mayan Seaside]
SimonB Offline
There are plenty of these homes listed you just have to work with a good agent. Money is money and 10% on a $50K house is still pays the rent for some. A good agent will know about these but will also know that there are many "tire kickers" out there and won't invest a lot of time and energy unless they trust that you're serious and won't waste their time showing you 10 or 15 low priced properties. Inplub is right on the selling side.

#463735 - 05/06/13 07:53 AM Re: DFC area, San Pablo [Re: Mayan Seaside]
DogLady Offline
We have gone so far as to offer several % over the regular commissions or a finders fee. We are guilty as far as a little "tire kicking" goes. But never to the point of having someone physically show us property. In the last several months we have given dates and other details, etc. and still very little info. from agents. Even offering to pay for a lease in full up front for 6 months to a year.

Don't get me wrong. We have spoken to some really great agents there. We just can't seem to find a small suitable rental. We have all but given up on a purchase until we can get there. My husband is so frustrated that he wants to move to the mainland. I think it will happen when its supposed to, but WOW is it frustrating trying to find a long term rental there.

#463737 - 05/06/13 09:22 AM Re: DFC area, San Pablo [Re: Mayan Seaside]
Wizardofaahs Offline
Doglady- Don't know what your budget is or where you have looked but I found several long term rentals offered, plus a DFC house for sale here
http://www.sanpedrosun.com/classifieds/

#463748 - 05/06/13 11:17 AM Re: DFC area, San Pablo [Re: DogLady]
SP Daily Offline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,048 Topics
462,276 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.