Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Woofer: Mexican Breakfast
So, just what is it about the Mexican breakfast that makes it so appealing?

Editorial: Becoming Belizean
Last Friday, April 26th my husband and I were proud to take the Oath of Allegiance and become Belizean citizens. It has been a long process, and one that took some perseverance and just old-fashioned patience. No strings were pulled, no bribes were paid, no deals were made…we just filled out the paperwork, complied with all the requirements, sat our interviews and took the nationality test; answering questions such as “what is the national tree”? The final paperwork was filled on April 12, 2011, and two years and a few days later, we stood in a room with 180 other people from all corners of the globe, pledging our allegiance to the country we now call home. Many have asked us why this was so important to us, that we share citizenship with our native USA. To me the answer is easy…Belize is my home, Belize is where I work, live, play…Belize is where my dear friends are…so why wouldn’t I want to belong to her?

Doctor Love: English Common Law vs Napoleonic Code of Law
Sometimes, Dr. Love is not all about love. Let's talk law: "innocent until proven guilty"? Or do we follow the "guilty until proven innocent" rule?

Misc Belizean Sources

VIDEO: We R 1 Take a (Stand) - Alvin Ledlon
This song is to inform people of their Human Rights that exist under the United Nation's Declaration on Human Rights and is in support of equality for all.

Rotary Eye Clinics in Cayo
The Rotary Club of San Ignacio is having their annual eye exams through Friday, May 9th. They'll be performing the checks at the San Ignacio Community Hospital. Call Dr. Ruth Guiterrez at 804-2510 to register. They'll be checking for cataracts, pterygium, glaucoma, and diabetes.

Why Unblocking of VOIP Is Good News For Belize Small Business
The news broke on April 29th, 2013 that Belize Telemedia will no longer block Voice Over Internet Protocol – ( VOIP ). This is great news for Belizeans at home and abroad, no more costly phone bills! The Prime Minister said “Of course this ability to now freely access VOIP will further harness the power of the internet, and allow Belizeans to enhance many facets of their lives, particularly in areas such as long distance learning with video-conferencing capabilities, computer to computer conversations with families and friends abroad, and even internet-based television.” The reason I was excited about the news wasn't just that I could do video chat with family and friends but I was thrilled that small business owners and entrepreneurs can also now tap into an even greater arena!

April 28, 2013 - May 4, 2013 Report
The big migratory tarpon have been seen down by Long Caye and Savannah. Shino landed a 50 lb tarpon, Kaz had a 30+ lb beauty and Kelly got hers with live bait! Shino landed some gorgeous permit and there were so many bonefish landed we couldn't keep track. Dale landed a beautiful snook and barracuda on fly! Fun week!

Working at Cara Blanca Pool
Working at Cara Blanca Pool #1 this week. Incredible experience - a giant sink hole in the middle of the Belizean rainforest, with a Mayan ceremonial site along its rim. Here Marty O'farrell dives along a cliff wall at about 90 feet, a location where he discovered a huge fossilized backbone (each individual vertebrate the size of a cantaloup) in the rock along with a leg bone of an unknown creature. In the lower left is a debris field from sediment and jungle detritus fallen into the pool over 100's of years. At the top of the photo is a light layer of hydrogen sulphide (smells like rotten eggs) which the light barely penetrates. Traded my camera for a collecting bag as we spent the afternoon excavating underwater in depths of 20-60 feet. Finds include stone tools, bones and pottery shards. Back at it in a few minutes.

Experiencing Minimal Hurricane Winds Before The Hurricane Season
As mentioned in the story more than $300,000 worth in damage was recorded in the community of Shipyard alone, due to last nights torrential rains. But what caused yesterdays sudden change of weather after experiencing an intense heat of 100 degrees Fahrenheit and even a hail storm in Corozal? According to the Belize Weather Bureau a high pressure ridge influenced our weather brining along minimal hurricane force winds. Frank Tench - Forecaster “Well, I receive report that there was a hail storm that occurred in the Corozal District more specifically in the Ranchito area of Corozal and it started around this afternoon and the hail stones was recorded and observed close to 3:15 this afternoon, before the hail stones there was strong winds in the north and northwest and period on intense showers and rain as the system moved across the Corozal District. Hail storm happens specially during within thunder storms, they normally occurring within any thunder storm on an average day but when they reached the ground and we experience them the conditions are very violent in the thunder storm itself and allows the hails stones to reach the earth surface, in a normal thunder storm cloud you’ll have a series of thunder storms cells or it might just be one thunder storm it might be a group of cells, we have these updrafts and down drafts and cause the process of freezing and condensation of the water vapor within the cloud but if the downdraft is sufficiently strong they allow the frozen water droplets to fall out and experience it as hail.”

New App Developed By Student Of CEMJC
Centro Escolar Mexico Junior College has been in existence for only six years but the institution has taken their motto of creating more access for higher education very seriously. At today’s open day and inauguration of two new buildings, the educational institution also took the opportunity to unveil an exciting application that can be used on android cell phones and ipads. The Maya Run apps was developed by one of the students of the Information Technology Department. Hugo Gonzales- Dean CEMJC “We are presently here in the IT lab and what we are about to unveil to our nation is that one of our CEMJC students Mr. Dair Aban wrote all the codes in programming for this new game application that we are showcasing which is called the Maya Run and he is the person responsible for coming up with the game and the graphics and so forth. It all started at the beginning and we joined into a group and begin planning on something to do on the development club so we first came up with a game and we decided to either do a fun game, a puzzle game, and we came with a fun game called the Maya Run. Everything was planned from the beginning and it was challenging but successful.” The new application will be offered to the telecommunications company SMART. According to Teacher David Alfaro, the school is proud of their latest achievement.

CEMJC Ready To Increase Student Enrollment
Centro Escolar Mexico Junior College has been in operation for less than a decade and today the institution can boast of five new classrooms. Those classrooms were inaugurated this morning during a special ceremony held at the school grounds and we formed part of the special invited guests. Elmer Cornejo reports. Elmer Cornejo – Reporting Centro Escolar Mexico Junior College has been in existence since 2007. As a tertiary educational institution, it began serving the District of Corozal with only a science laboratory, a computer laboratory and two classrooms with an enrolment of fifty students. But that changed today as the institution inaugurated two newly built upper flat structures which will house five classrooms. Hugo Gonzales-Dean CEMJC “I must agree that I am overwhelmed with joy to be a part of this momentous occasion, first of all I must thank our Almighty God for only through him all things are made possible. I clearly recall some years ago when the Mexican government provided a monetary grant with the intention to establish a vocational technical junior college in Belize, this grant paved the way for Centro Escolar Mexico Junior College to become a living reality.” Construction began in December of 2011 and according to the CEMJC’s Dean Hugo Gonzales, the two newly built buildings come at a cost of two hundred and eighty five thousand Belize dollars.

Guatemala's President Declares State Of Emergency In Four Towns
Tonight the country of Guatemala is making headlines but it has nothing to do with the Belize Guatemala Territorial Dispute or much less the simultaneous referendum. Reports coming out of Guatemala indicate that President Otto Perez Molina declared a 30 day state of emergency in four southeastern towns following deadly clashes related to a proposed silver mine. The declaration means the citizen’s constitutional rights in the towns of Jalapa, Mataquescuintla, Casillas and San Rafael Las Flores, are temporarily suspended. During a press conference held yesterday, Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina announced that the move was made in an effort to quash the violent protests against Canadian mining company Tahoe Resources. According to Guatemala’s local media, one police officer and a demonstrator were shot dead during a shootout on Monday when police went to free 23 police officers who were being held hostage by protesters and were later released. Reports also suggest that six protesters were reportedly wounded by gunfire from the company’s security guards on Saturday. For their part Escobal Silver Mine has denied any responsibility for the death of the police officer and demonstrator but has stated that they regret the injuries to protesters caused by rubber bullets. Riots began earlier this week in the town of San Rafael Las Flores, located about 40 miles east of Guatemala City where Tahoe Resources Escobal silver mine is located. Protesters claim that the Escobal silver mine, which is not yet under operation, will contaminate their land and local water supplies.

The Aftermath Of Unexpected Freak Storm
After experiencing a whopping temperature of 100 degrees yesterday, a drastic change in the weather conditions was experienced here in the north. Residents in the village of Fire Burn, Little Belize, and the Community of Shipyard were the most affected by last night’s thunderstorm. In fact, we can safely say that the Mennonite Community of Shipyard recorded a loss of more than $300,000 as some 15 houses were damaged and 4,000 chickens were killed. As you will witness in the following report, the aftermath of last nights thunderstorm proved to be disastrous, at least for some. Cameraman Jesus Melgar and reporter Irvin Aragon filed the following report. Irvin Aragon – Reporting Just before 7:00 last night villagers of Fire Burn located more than 15 miles out of Orange Walk Town, began experiencing light rain and thunder. While they were preparing to go to bed as usual, the weather changed drastically brining along a storm of hail and winds that, to many, looked like that of a tornado. Residents of the village did their best to protect their valuables, but the thunderstorm took them by surprise and by the time they took action it was too late. Gilberto Campos, Resident of Fireburn Village “Empezaron una lluvias muy suavecitas pero de repente se vino un viento yo ya estaba acostado así como a las siete de la noche cuando empezó la lluvia que hasta dicen que hasta hielo cayo y arranco todas las casitas que estaban a media, medias y pues ni modos son cosas de Dios que se va hacer.” ”

Instilling Good Values To Our Future Leaders
While residents of Fire Burn Village experienced a hail storm and strong winds capable of uprooting trees and blowing off roofs, not everything is bad news. Today 6 primary schools from the Orange Walk South constituency faced off during a football tournament hosted by the Fire Burn Government School. According to the coordinator of the sporting event, Alex Palacio and the main sponsor of the tournament, Honorable Jose Abelardo Mai, the aim is to keep the younger generation off the streets. Alexander Palacio, Teacher “Well basically what we are trying to do is we are trying to have the youths in the different small schools because small schools doesn’t have a big population to play sports competitively, so what we have here today are six schools from the different areas around the Orange Walk South area, we have here Fire burn, San Carlos, Indian Church, Santa Martha Trinidad who will play football here today, but the school doesn’t have a lot of players so basically we have to do it co-ed meaning five boys and three girls to make a team.”

CEMJC Holds Annual Open Day
Every year, educational institutions hold open days to encourage creativity among students and at the same time upgrade the schools performance. Today the students and staff of Centro Escolar Mexico Junior College held their annual open day with the aim of keeping the public informed about the schools recent projects and other activities. From what we found out, the event was both informative and educational. Elmer Cornejo – Reporting Hugo Gonzales- Dean Centro Escolar Junior College. “Basically we are commemorating our inauguration and our open day because this is the time that CEMJC takes and shows the community a taste of what CEMJC provides to it students and in turn the students showcase their talents, their skill, their knowledge in the various areas like tourism, management, natural resource management with a major in biology, information technology which is one of our biggest and one of the most productive programs that we have here at school as well as I cannot forget our business program.” Students from CEMJC’s sister institution Escuela Secundaria Tecnica Mexico as well as the faculty and staff of Cornerstone Presbyterian High School, other primary schools and community members visited each and every booth on site with interest.

Electricity Rate For Social Rate Customers Sees Minimal Reduction
Back in the Month of April 2013 the Belize Electricity Limited submitted an application to the Public Utilities Commission for a reduction in electricity rates for the period July 1st 2013 to June 30th 2014. The Government owned company asked the PUC to reduce the Mean Electricity Rate by approximately 1 cent per kilowatt hour thus bringing the residential rate down to approximately 48 cents per kilowatt hour. After a month of reviewing the application the Public Utilities Commission is recommending a reduction of even less than what BEL requested. The minor proposed reduction of approximately on quarter of one cent will benefit the Social customer class. The Minimum Charge was reduced from $5.00 to $4.00 per month and the electricity Rate/Tariff was reduced from $0.29 per kilowatt-hour to $0.26 per kilowatt-hour.

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Miss Lobster Fest Pageant 2013 is looking for candidates
The reigning Miss Lobster Fest, Miss Sylvia Joseph, is inviting talented, energetic, motivated, smart young ladies to capture the title of Miss Lobster Fest 2013. For application or information, please contact: Chantel Marin 6008417 Ilda Marin 6075466 Elizabeth Usher 6303652

Caye Caulker Village Council Elections Set for June 16th
Village Council elections are held every four years in Belize. This year (2013) is one of those years. The date for the Caye Caulker Village Council election has been set for June 16, 2013. So far, three persons have thrown their hats into the ring for the position of Chairman. These are Minelli Young, Wayne Miller, and Phillip Guizar. Numerous persons are also vying for the 7 councilor positions. Both Phillip Guizar and Wayne Miller are running with a full slate.

Two great parties
Last night we had planned to do date night at Carlo and Ernie’s Runway Bar & Grill. I am glad we ended up running into Dianne and Tracy in the parking lot which was packed with carts, they were just leaving. When we got to the bar, many of our friends were already there helping celebrate the new venue. It was a unanimous agreement that this was a great spot and that it was going to do very well. We could all see ourselves there doing airport pick ups and drop offs waiving to our friend flying in and out. We arrived a bit later than planned and missed the food so when Cowboy Doug said he was heading onto Wet Willy’s Cantina to support the Midtown Violets fundraiser for Mama Vilma’s, it was a no brainier to meet him there to support a good cause, get some baked mac and cheese and home cut fries – yum.

Mergulhando no Blue Hole e Half Moon Caye
O Blue Hole está localizado no Lighthouse Reef, um arrecife de corais dentro da área protegida pela Grande Barreira de Corais de Belize, a segunda maior do mundo, apenas atrás da Austrália. Ainda que vizinho, o Blue Hole não pertence à grande barreira de corais e está localizado a 70km da costa belizenha. A viagem de barco dura duas horas, acompanhada de um bonine para não enjoar, foi super tranquila. Tínhamos um grupo bem mesclado de italianos, israelenses, lituanos, alemães, canadenses e americanos, além dos dois brazucas aqui. O mergulho no Blue Hole foi lindíssimo, o que impressiona lá é a sua geografia, é imaginar que este gigante já esteve mais de 50m sobre o nível do mar e formou todas aquelas estalactites gigantescas! Não foi à toa que Jacques Cousteau o declarou um dos 10 melhores lugares para mergulhar no mundo!

“Good Times” in Ambergris Caye, Belize.
Up slightly later yesterday morning at 5.15 am. The ‘penalty’ for going to Pedro’s Inn last night to see and hear the Midtown Violets. We are really pleased that we did. Two very talented girls playing a mix of the ‘classics’ and their own stuff (which, by the way, was very good). After a couple of mugs of black coffee I felt that I had rejoined the land of the living and headed off to Estel’s for a much needed breakfast before the very important QPR v Arsenal game which kicked off at 10.30 am here. Whilst at Estel’s though I kept in touch with the Spurs v Southampton game (rooting, of course, for Southampton) which unfortunately Spurs won with a goal perilously close to the end of the game. Rushed back to the condo we are renting for the Arsenal game and got slightly delayed because a water main burst and lifted up the cobble stones in Coconut Drive. Got home in time though to watch Arsenal secure the three points with an early goal by Theo Walcott. Just need to win the remaining two games now and I’ve got Champions League football to look forward to next season. I watched a bit of rugby league, a snack for lunch and it was time to head to our build in Ambergris Caye, Belize taking a detour because of the burst water main.

International Sources

Teotihuacan 'Orbs,' Metallic Spheres, Found By Robot Under 'Temple Of The Feathered Serpent' In Mexico
For centuries, Mexico's ancient city of Teotihuacan has concealed a mysterious secret, only recently revealed by the help of robots equipped with lasers and infrared cameras. The small, remote-controlled devices have explored several rooms beneath the Temple of the Feathered Serpent, a structure described by Discovery as a "six-level pyramid decorated with snake-like creatures." The probes revealed hundreds of mysterious yellow orbs that range from four to 12 centimeters across. Indiana Jones would most certainly approve. According to a release from Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History, the clay spheres are believed to have originally been covered in pyrite, a yellow-colored mineral known as "Fool's Gold," which oxidized over thousands of years to become jarosite, an amber mineral crust. Jorge Zavala, an archaeologist at the excavation, called the metallic orbs an "unprecedented discovery," adding that the scientists "do not know their meaning," via Discovery. LiveScience notes that the odd spheres were found deep within the temple in three burial chambers that are believed to house some of Teotihuacan's ancient leaders.

The nation of Belize, bordered by Mexico and Guatemala, is the last country in Central America where homosexual acts are still illegal and punishable by long prison terms. But that could change for Belize and set an important precedent for the rest of the Caribbean Commonwealth. Starting Tuesday, May 7th, Belize’s Supreme Court will hear a challenge to the country’s sodomy law which not only outlaws homosexuality but treats it as if it was the same thing as bestiality. Section 53 of Belize Criminal Code Section 53 states that “every person who has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any person or animal shall be liable to imprisonment for ten years.” The battle lines are drawn between Caleb Orosco, a human rights activist, the claimant in the case and various organizations against the government of Belize, along with a consortium of Christian Churches. The United Belize Advocacy Movement (UBIBAM), along with three international human rights organizations (Commonwealth Lawyers Association, Human Dignity Trust and the International Society of Jurists), claim that the Belize sodomy law is “incompatible with the rule of law and with respect for international law and international obligations enshrined in the Belize Constitution.”

New Horizons’ surgeons give Belizean boy a helping hand
Isai Carrillo, a 4-year-old Belizean boy, underwent surgery May 2 to correct syndactyly, otherwise known as hand fusion, in his righthand. The boy’s grandmother brought him to the plastic surgery clinic to be seen with hopes the team would be able improve the limited use of his hands. With help from New Horizons’ plastic surgeons, his hand that was once fused now has three fingers. The surgery took three hours and consisted of separating the fused unit into fingers using skin grafts from his abdominal area. This operation will give the boy a little more of a pincher mechanism, said U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Matthew Talarczyk, plastic surgeon from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. “It could mean … having ease opening up a door,” said Talarczyk, “[It will help with] very little things that can mean a lot in terms of functioning.”