Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mac1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Looking at relocation visit. Have read many comments on forums regarding AC. Is it smarter to buy and live south of town or north. I know the road is paved south for a couple of miles. I understand the road north of town is dirt. Any comments would be appreciated in regards to my question as well as any comments on crime or other conditions north or south of San Pedro town. Thanks in advance.

Your likely to raise some debate with this one ;-)
If you really have read the board for a while it should be obvious that the North is more quiet with less crime.The road quality is probably the reason. Going by boat to and from town isn't a hassle, especially since the Coastal Express service has improved.
Some points that don't seem to be discussed much is the level of the sea. As slight as it is, it is important when you have a bad storm. It also makes a difference in the ground water. Think of the island as a long slow incline with sea level on the south end and a whopping 15 feet of altitude on the other.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
P
Debate for sure. I'd take a wager there're less burglaries/incidents South of Town than North of Town, with the very active South End Neighbourhood Watch patrols - I'm smack in the middle of town so in neither camp, impartial but equally short on facts for either area so take it with a pinch of salt as one opinion and worth what you paid for it!!!!

Horses for courses. Come down. Spend time in both areas before committing talk to people in each area decide which would suit you better and then decide - each has pros and cons. I'd personally get really sick of a boat in crappy weather and the pain of popping out to the shops town friends etc but I'm a City boy turned Towny.

The island is like any other local - each group likes there area best. There are real differences not only in the lay of the land but the attitude and outlook of the residence.
It is always advisable to rent for at least 6 months - even a year is better - before deciding.
You'll have to find out where you fit in. Thank goodness we don't all want to live on the same lot.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
There are real differences not only in the lay of the land but the attitude and outlook of the residence

So which area has the good attitude and outlook and which area has the bad attitude and outlook? confused

S
S
Well where do you live bywarren, we can start with that location

Last edited by Scuba do; 06/04/13 05:07 AM.

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
Warren - Very interesting that you glommed onto "good & bad." I didn't allude to that. How about, independent, community oriented, self sufficient, wants conveniences, social, private, etc. I don't see any of these traits as good or bad - just the way people are.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
J
J
My wife and I bought land in the south but then some years later bought some north of the bridge and it is here that we chose to build.
A decision taken not based on incidence of crime, proxitimity to shops and services. Or the condition of the roads (a bit stupid maybe).
We chose to build where we are building primarily because we like the view better.
We are both retired so whether it takes us 5 minutes to get to town or 20 it doesn't really matter too much.
I agree with the others that recommend 'come spend time here first'.

Last edited by Johnhenry; 06/04/13 05:17 AM.
OK, fare enough. So which area are you saying the residence show "independent, community oriented, self sufficient, wants conveniences, social, private attitudes"?
I am sure no one would want to live in the other area based on not having those attitudes.

I'm in favor of quality dirt - AKA elevation and stability of soil.
If you cruise the east coast of the island you will be able to tell by sight which parts are higher and more solid. Recommend you choose one of them.

I have a different take on the boat issue than Phil. I spent the better part of ten years commuting by boat 5 miles each way from home to town - the rides each morning and evening were the absolute highlight of my day. Starfish, dolphin, nobody yammering at me about buy this or gimme ride, clean fresh air, birds and brilliant skies..... yes, I've gotten cold and wet as well as hot and tanned. If you love the sea, you love the sea ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.