Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I did some looking into Heritage Bank in Belize and it was formerly Provident Bank & Trust of Belize Limited (international bank for clients residing outside of Belize) and it was also Alliance Bank Of Belize Limited (domestic bank to resident clients in Belize). Anyone have any complaints about Heritage Bank? How about good things to say about it based on your experience with it?

Heritage Bank (formerly Alliance Bank) is the newest of the commercial banks in Belize. It has eight offices -- in Belize City, Belmopan, Caye Caulker, San Pedro, Orange Walk, San Ignacio, Independence and Pomona (near Dangriga). It formerly was associated with Glenn D. Godfrey, a well-connected Belizean businessman and attorney. In 2009, Alliance Bank reportedly was sold to a group of mostly foreign investors from Mexico and the Caribbean. Main Office: 106 Princess Margaret Drive, Belize City; tel.: 501-223-6783, fax 223-6785. www.heritageibt.com

Alliance Bank Of Belize Limited - [Heritage Bank, Inc] - Incorporated on May 13th, 1998, Provident Bank & Trust of Belize Limited was established with Class 'A' license to provide international banking services to non-residents. It became the pioneer and leader in international banking services in Belize and has evolved into a globally competitive international bank. Three years later on January 2, 2001, the Alliance Bank of Belize Limited was incorporated to undertake domestic banking to residents of Belize. ABBL's entrance in the market was historic for Belize in that for the first time, Belizeans could save, borrow and invest in a local bank which would channel funds invested right back in the country. The bank shaped its operations around policies and goals aimed at encouraging the growth of local businesses and building Belize by offering the best savings and loan rates on the market.

OP Offline
Everyone like Heritage Bank?

I opened a Provident account before I moved here. It is recorded in US dollars. After I moved here I opened an account with Alliance. The money there is recorded in Belize dollars.
I have many many great things to say about them and a few not so good.

PROS: I get extremely personalized service. Melanie and Elmer have been there since I first signed up. I have had phone calls telling me someone is there to cash a check and I don't have enough to cover it. I tell them I will be in tomorrow morning and they honor the draft.

2. There is seldom a line. The most I have ever seen is 5 people. If there is more than one person waiting some one leaves their desk and opens a window.

3. Their ATM is very convenient.

4. They take the time to explain to me different processes and have been very good about helping me fill out paperwork.

5. I have on-line banking and have set up some of my bills to pay on-line.

6. I have 3 people in my buddy system. That is people with accounts at Heritage. I can go on-line and move money from my account to theirs. My cabinet maker in Orange walk is one of my buddies. They even increased the limit on the amount I can send him at any one time.

CONS: Everyone who works there is Belizean. LOL Sometime we don't all speak the same English

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
Just a note about local banking practices:

Heritage bank recently suspended/ froze my account due to inactivity within 6 months - so I have to re-do all the paperwork to reinstate the account and access my funds.

Last year, Belize Bank cancelled my local ATM card for inactivity (6 months) and wanted to charge $50 to get another (no go as I obviously do not use it very often).

These rules seem silly as so many people are only on the Island half the year.... but of course that could be the objective.

Jeannie - you are so right. Also, if you don't use your phone for 3 months they give your number to some one else. Like they ran out of numbers? I had over $50 on mine when the took it.

Harriette
OP Offline
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Jeannie - you are so right. Also, if you don't use your phone for 3 months they give your number to some one else. Like they ran out of numbers? I had over $50 on mine when the took it.

New people moving to Belize should definitely be warned about such idiotic procedures by the banks and the phone companies and who knows what else.....

Oh, and I forgot. Everyone wants large deposits. BEL made me pay $1,000. I asked "when do I get it back"- they said - "when you leave the island". "But . . . . I'm not leaving - I live here" - blank stare.
When they cut my power off because I was late (they give you two weeks grace) I said . . . "but I have $1,000 deposit". They said "that is not for this". I asked "what it is for then" . . . blank stare.
I do feel sorry for the front line staff as I know they are only doing what they are instructed to do and probably without any explanation.
I had to go to Belize bank today and sign some papers. I was told to bring my passport, drivers license and electric bill. When I presented these she looked at my Belize drivers license and asked if I didn't have one from the states. "Yes; but it is expired" . . ."why don't you get a new one" . . . I think at this point I gave her a blank stare . . . "Because I don't live there - I live here." This required a conference with fellow employees.
I had a hard time explaining that Washington is a state and has nothing to do with Washington DC (my passport lists that as the place where I was born) of course what do I know about England
Don't let any of this deter you - just come prepared.

Harriette
OP Offline
Any updates on these banks? Are they still all healthy?

Provident Bank does not exist any more. The others are in business.

Last edited by Diane Campbell; 11/24/15 05:05 AM.
C
C
Normally, I am relatively happy with Heritage. However lately, it seems that things have gone downhill. The ATM is down more than up. They charge me 2.00 to use a different bank even when down. The wire transfers now go through Turkey, before coming to Belize. I have a hard time getting wire transfers now and have had to use Scotia Bank. They also dont accept Canadian government checks very well, so have to use Scotia for that as well.

That being said, they are generally very helpful when I have a problem, except the ATM. Very rarely is there a line up.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.