Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
PRESS RELEASE

The United Democratic Party (UDP) this week records another set of overwhelming victories at the polls in the sixth and final week of village council elections 2013.

On Sunday, June 16, 2013, elections were held in 18 villages in Orange Walk, Cayo and the Belize districts. The UDP was victorious in 17 of the 18 villages will full slates in 15 of them and majority of five and six in the remaining three villages. The remaining village, Ontario in the Cayo South constituency, elected an independent slate.

After six weeks of village council elections in 189 villages, UDP Chairpersons were elected in 130 villages while 50 and 9 went to the opposition and independent candidates respectively. The UDP captured an impressive 937 or over 71% of the total 1,317 seats countrywide.

The UDP expresses heartfelt thank you to rural voters countrywide for the clear expression of confidence in the leadership of the United Democratic Party. We thank everyone who came out each week and labored to secure repeated victories over the past six weeks.

The UDP especially appreciates the peaceful manner in which the elections were conducted and for this we thank everyone who participated in the process.

Does this include the newly elected members of the Village Council in Caye Caulker? I understand that several members of a slate won in the election, but my understanding was that many of the candidates were independent this year, and not tied directly to either party.

I
I
Congratulations UDP for this tremendous success! In the UDP staatement I'm missing the message that on June 2 for the first time in 35 years they lost the elections in Arenal Village.

I see that since then the old UDP administration does everything to do harm on the new chairman and the new council, withheld information and try not to hand over keys and responsibilities and the latest statement of the former council is that the new chairman will be there just to be in charge of doing village clean-ups and will not have any power. Well then I wonder why the government write such a long statement about positions that are just in charge of cleaning up and do not have any power?

Instead of being mad about the change in Arenal and "punish" the village now, I would suggest to ask some serious questions like: "Why did it go wrong?" or "what happened and what did WE do wrong?" or "what could we do to fix the errors?" or "shouldn't we do the best for the village NOW as obviously this had not been done in the past) and avoid a similar disater in the next elections?" and maybe the government should reflect the circumstance that it might not be the right move anymore to through 10 loads of gravel onto the village roads 5 days before the elections, send Security Forces to raid the opposition's candidate's house 3 days before elections at 4 a.m or one day before elections promise that jobs will be coming within 3 or 4 weeks:

People are not stupid anymore and I suppose if the UDP will be the bad loser instead acccepting majorities voting next elections my be different!!!?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.