Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#466933 - 06/20/13 06:11 AM Garifuna Collective Heads Out On Tour
Marty Online   happy

In support Of New Album

Andy Palacio’s backing band was known as the Garifuna Collective – and now they’re preparing to embark on their first major world tour without him. The Collective left for Minnesota today where they lead off a 25 stop, 19-city North American tour – to be followed later in the summer by a European Tour. It is in support of their first album – which will be released in Belize a month from now. Produced by Stonetree Records, the album, called “Ayo” picks up where Palacio’s “Watina” left off.

But the tour is different that just a straight Garifuna affair. For a few dates, they will be teaming up on stage with Canadian folk singer Danny Michel – for a compelling musical fusion.

It should make for an interesting journey and we spoke to them today at the PGIA, just before liftoff:….

Lloyd Augustine - Singer, Garifuna Collective
"Everything is feeling great because we have prepared ourselves in terms of rehearsing the songs and also we are launching a new album."

Joshua Arana - Drummer, Garifuna Collective
"The name of the album is Ayo which is a final goodbye. First we think about people like Ras Chi, we think about Justo and Andy - those people that have gone before us, who started this work with us and now that they're not here it's an extra boost for us because we know now that it's more important that these guys dreams remain alive."

Deseree Diego - Singer, Garifuna Collective
"The main thing is to leave a mark and that is what we're doing. We're performing with other artists who we don't even know, I think it's a good experience."

Lloyd Augustine
"We are happy to be right in the forefront with Danny Michel and I think that this is imporant for us because we are taking our culture again because Andy Palacio has started this so we are taking it and continuing his work because he has introduced it to the world. We are proud to have Danny Michel as part of us."

Joshua Arana
"The power of the spirits of our ancestors, the power of these people that have worked along with us will always be on stage with us. As a matter of fact they are here with us right now. It is for them that we want to continue this particular legacy."

That clip is from the first video from “Ayo” – it’s called Mongulo and will premier in July.

After the Minneapolis tomorrow night, the band plays Chicago on June 21st.

Channel 7

#467060 - 06/22/13 06:15 AM Re: Garifuna Collective Heads Out On Tour [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

The Garifuna Collective Carry on Andy Palacio’s Legacy

The band is The Garifuna Collective.

Its front man was Andy Palacio, who passed away unexpectedly five years ago at the age of 47.

Before his death, Palacio and the band were spearheading a resurgence of the Garifuna culture of Belize.

Once Andy Palacio died, many wondered if The Garifuna Collective would continue.

Well, they have.

The band’s first album since Palacio’s passing is called “Ayó.”

That means goodbye in the Garifuna language.

The album’s dedicated to Andy Palacio and two other band members who’ve died in recent years.

It’s The Garifuna Collective’s way of saying that the torch has been passed — and Garifuna music will live on.

#467398 - 06/29/13 05:48 AM Re: Garifuna Collective Heads Out On Tour [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

The Garifuna Collective "Mongulu" Official Video, New Album Out July 2

"Mongulu" from The Garifuna Collective's album "Ayó"
directed by Garry Bassin / The Listen Project

Cumbancha Store: http://shop.cumbancha.com/releases/ay...

Andy Palacio & The Garifuna Collective's 2007 album Wátina is one of the most praised world music albums ever released, and was selected by amazon.com as the Greatest World Music Album of All Time (beating out Buena Vista Social Club, Bob Marley, Fela Kuti and other worthy contenders). On the cusp of tremendous fame, Andy passed away suddenly a year after Wátina was released, leaving the world to wonder just how big he could have become.

His band has continued where Andy left off, and with Wátina producer Ivan Duran of Stonetree back at the helm, have produced the album Ayó, a soul-stirring collection of songs inspired by their unique Afro-Amerindian cultural heritage. With a lineup that consists of the best musicians in the fertile Garifuna music scene of Belize, Honduras and Guatemala, The Garifuna Collective promises to carry the torch of cultural preservation and promotion passed on by Andy Palacio far into the future. The Garifuna Collective's songs of heartbreak, hope and joy will move your body and your soul.

On "Mongulu" the singer expresses the confidence that in spite of the challenges, her son Móungulu, will grow up. While the parent sacrifices to raise her child for his own sake, there is also the hope that he in turn will look out for the parent as the need arises. The Garifuna Collective's preferred setting is when everyone sings in unison or call and response and anyone can join with handclaps or a percussion instrument. Some of the most memorable songs in Garifuna culture have been created and popularized in this fashion.

Because, Móungulu, you will grow up, my dear, ayei
Where are you, younger brother? I need you
Hope it comes to pass, that you help me
Where are you, my younger brother? I need you

Lubá, Móungulu, baweiyada yaba, wanwa, ayéi
Halíañaíibu sa, namulen? Megei numutibu
Ubugua, ubugua íderabana me ei
Halíañadibu sa, namulen? Megei numutibu

#468257 - 07/16/13 06:51 AM Re: Garifuna Collective Heads Out On Tour [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Garifuna Collective's Gudemei

The Garifuna Collective have released their Gudemei video, and it is fantastic! Isn't it time for another Grammy win for the best band in Belize? It was shot at the Soul Project, and Daniel Velazquez captured all the magic that was going on. You can tell they had a great time doing it. It's worth the 4 minutes.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (wade the gringo, 1 invisible), 38 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,684 Topics
461,181 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.