Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#468261 - 07/16/13 06:58 AM Today's Belize News: July 16, 2013
Marty Online   happy

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

The New River: A trip to an ancient world
New River Lamanai Story-7Belize has many rivers and each is important to the growth and development of its region. In the northern region of Belize, snaking through the Orange Walk and Corozal Districts is the New River. The New River is essential to both districts and the entire country in a whole; it has carved its way through the Maya era and the colonial times, and shaped the north for a bountiful future. The New River was a major trading route for the ancient Maya and before, when Belize was still known as the British Honduras. At that time the country depended heavily on the logging industry and the New River was a vital piece to the thriving economy. Loggers from the north utilized the New River as a means of transporting logwood out to the Caribbean Sea where the British ships would be waiting to carry back the lumber to Europe. Massive logs were set adrift starting from the exotic forests of Orange Walk up to their destination at the Corozal Bay. This industry flourished for several years, but soon there was a new use for the New River, and the north became the land of sugar and molasses.

Saga is offering 75 FREE spay/neuter through Operation SNIP
Saga Humane Society aims to help reduce the problems associated with community and street animals on Ambergris Caye by introducing a pet population management program, Operation SNIP (Spay Neuter Initiative Project). To reduce the breeding populations and reduce the number of street animals, 75-90% of all dogs and cats on the island will need to be sterilized in a 3-5 year time frame to be effective. Saga HS has pledged to raise money or bring visiting Veterinary teams to offer low cost or free spay/neuter, with a goal of 1,000 animals per year during this project. The primary objective of comprehensive animal management program should be to keep the population of dogs and cats on Ambergris Caye down to a level where there is no need to destroy healthy and friendly animals, but without accumulating them in the Saga HS shelter. To help us reach our goal of 1,000 animals for 2013 Saga HS is pleased to make available 75 free spay/neuters for the month of July. Dr. Baptist will be performing surgeries the second week of July. Dr. Don Tummons of Duck Hollow Animal Hospital in Uniontown, PA will return to San Pedro July 15-26. Dr. Dr. Don helped Saga HS kick off Operation SNIP on his last visit in March 2013 in which he spay/neutered 50 animals. He and his assistant Mary Maykuth are superstars to Saga HS, they use their own vacation time to come and help the animals of Ambergris Caye.

Mediterranean Fruit Flies Detected in Southern Belize
The Belize Agricultural Health Authority informs the general public, especially in southern Belize, that Mediterranean fruit flies have been detected at various points in the Toledo District, Mango Creek, and along the Placencia Peninsula. As a result of these detections, BAHA will quarantine part of the Stann Creek district and the entire Toledo District with effect from Saturday July 13th, 2013. A 24-hour quarantine checkpoint has been placed on the southern highway at the village of Silk Grass. This action is necessary to maintain Belize’s Medfly free status which is essential to maintain our export markets for papayas and citrus. BAHA is therefore requesting the cooperation of the public to cease illegal importation of fresh fruits and vegetables from infested areas such as Guatemala and Honduras, and also to stop movement of fresh fruits and vegetables from the designated quarantine area. The public is advised that violations will lead to immediate confiscation and destruction of produce regardless of quantity.

Costa Maya Festival® presents Miss Nicaragua!
Ariadna Judith Orellana Melendez is the latest contestant announced for the Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant®. Ariadna proudly represents Nicaragua, and seeks to win the title currently being held by Panama’s Karen Jordan. She is a 23-year-old working in Marketing and Public Relations. Ariadna is 5’ 5”, brunette with brown eyes, and measures 34-25-38. She enjoys cooking and traveling. Ariadna will be joining Destinee Arnold (Belize), Andrea Rojas (Costa Rica), Monica Elwing Gough (Honduras), and Cleirys Velasquez (Panama) on stage, Thursday August 1st. Who will be 2013’s Reina de la Costa Maya? Be sure to get your tickets and be there in person to find out! 3-day Season Passes are available at $60 for children and $140 for adults.

San Pedro celebrates 8th Edition of the Belize International Film Festival
It was a night of stars indeed, as the 8th Edition of the Belize International Film Festival (BIFF) came to San Pedro Town on Saturday July 13th for the screening of Cuban musical, Hopelessly Together. Since its inception in 2005, the BIFF has been growing in size and popularity and is a well-attended event throughout the country. The carpet was rolled out at Paradise Theater as many islanders and visitors alike made their way to enjoy the heart felt film directed by Jorge Sánchez. It was an exquisite take on love, racism, and double standards. The crowd enjoyed the film to the end, laughing at the comedic styles and enjoying the great musical numbers. “Irremediablemente Juntos – “Hopelessly Together,” is no doubt a film you wouldn’t afford to miss,” said Horacio Guerrero, Festival Coordinator. “It was an entertaining film that bluntly sheds light to universal taboo issues that are faced by many societies today and even more so in small countries like ours.” BIFF strives to bring together filmmakers and writers from throughout the world, not only to present the Belizean audience with fresh and new films and features but also to help promote and expose Belizean films and aspiring filmmakers here in the country to a wider audience. BIFF ended on Monday, July 15th with the award and closing ceremony at the Belize House of Culture.

The search at sea continues for a missing Sarteneja fisherman
Edwardo Dominguez, a fisherman from Sarteneja is missing after the vessel he and a companion was travelling in capsized at sea. The accident happened shortly around 10AM on Sunday July 14th as the two fishermen were heading to an area near Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve located on northern Ambergris Caye. According to Lieutenant Gregory Soberanis, Belize National Coast Guard Operation Officer, after the incident was reported on Sunday they immediately launched a search and rescue operation. “We got a report from the Police at Sarteneja village of a capsized vessel east of village. One Barajona reported to police that he, along with one Edwardo Dominguez, were on a white 23-foot sail boat named Elena, heading to Bacalar Chico when they capsized,” explained Soberanis. He said that Barajona reported that he managed to swim to shore safely, but unfortunately Dominguez remains unaccounted for. “The Belize National Coast Guard, assisted by local fishermen in the area, is currently conducting search efforts in the entire area to locate Dominguez. Barajona is attributing the accident to bad weather. As you know, on Sunday there was a tropical wave that moved over the country so the weather was not suitable for small craft,” said Soberanis.

Ambergris Today

Costa Maya Festival Announces Miss Nicaragua Contestant
Lovely Ariadna Judith Orellana Melendez has been confirmed to represent her country as Miss Nicaragua Costa Maya at the Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant that will be taking place at the International Costa Maya Festival in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. Ariadna stands 5’ 5” tall, works on Marketing and Public Relations, and has brown eyes and light brown hair. She enjoys cooking and travelling. Miss Nicaragua now joins Destinee Arnold - Belize, Andrea Rojas - Costa Rica, Monica Elwing Gough – Honduras and Cleirys Velásquez - Panama. All other Mundo Maya countries and Central American region have confirmed their participation at the pageant and the three remaining contestants will be announced shortly.

San Pedro, Belize Has New Coral Reef Experts
Our children are the future of our island and teaching them about the importance of conservation of our beautiful Barrier Reef and fragile ecosystem is essential. What better way of doing that than engaging them in a hands-on experience summer camp. The Smith College Coral Reef Ed-Ventures Summer Camp was in its 14th year of fun and educational summer youth camp here in, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. The program seeks to inspire conservation and sustainable use of coastal resources by providing children an opportunity to learn how healthy reefs function, how various organisms interact with the reef, what threats to the reef ecosystem exist, and how to protect it. Smith College’s Environmental Science & Policy Program and Center for Community Collaboration sponsored this project along with the Hol Chan Marine Reserve.

Pic of the Week: Quaint Produce Shops Around San Pedro, Belize
There is one at almost every corner of downtown San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. You can find them inside large air conditioned shops, small hole in the walls, in small quaint stalls, make-shift tables on the side of the road and even along the roads outside of town. There are plenty of produce stores or fruit shops on the island providing fresh and mostly organic produce; some even supply much imported products not readily available or common to the region. But one thing is for sure, each shop has its own charm and quaintness about it, much like this one that sits on corner on Pescador Drive (middle street). Alicy Dely provides delicious homemade local dishes but also doubles as a fruit shop. A quaint and colorful piece of paradise that screams Tropical Caribbean Cool; don't you think?

Misc Belizean Sources

Minister deplores attacks on gays in Belize
A senior government minister has written a public essay expressing grave concerns about what she perceives could be the promotion of hate crimes against gay men and women in Belize. Forestry, Fisheries and Sustainable Development Minister Lisel Alamilla posted the short essay on her Facebook page, prefacing her missive by stating that "I do not oppose persons having different views or religious beliefs, but it concerns me immensely when those are being communicated by misinformation, manipulation and fear which could result in hate crime”. Alamilla used a couple of photographs taken during the pro-Constitution demonstration in Toledo, southern Belize last week, depicting what could be described as the hanging in effigy of the United Belize Advocacy Movement (UNIBAM).

Garifuna Collective's Gudemei
The Garifuna Collective have released their Gudemei video, and it is fantastic! Isn't it time for another Grammy win for the best band in Belize? It was shot at the Soul Project, and Daniel Velazquez captured all the magic that was going on. You can tell they had a great time doing it. It's worth the 4 minutes.

Young, Gifted, and Restless
Musical interlude with art. Rick Galvez, who plays at Soul project all the time, had an exhibit a the Bliss Centre. Check out this documentary from Daniel Velazquez, which has him playing, mixed with video of his exhibit. "A documentation of Bliss exhibit, YOUNG GIFTED AND RESTLESS, music by Rick Galvez"

Rotaract's Rave at the Grave
D!rty Jok3s is coming back to Meluchi's for the Rotaract Club of San Ignacio's Rave at the Grave fundraiser. Saturday, July 27th is the date. If you missed D!rty Jok3s dub step performance last year, now's your chance to be amazed. Mistah Geeh will also be mixing the night away. The proceeds from the event will go towards sending kids to school, so have a great time and make a difference too. Thanks to Will Moreno for the great shot! "Official fundraiser for our First Annual ADOPT A CHILD PROGRAM! DJ's will be MISTAH GEEH and DIRTY JOKES! We are raising funds to assist primary school students from Yalbac by paying for their school fees, and providing them with school bags and supplies for the new school year.

Basketball for Football Fundraiser
The Galen Eagles basketball team played the All Star Selection as a fundraiser for the National Football Team. Thanks, Eagles! "Basketball for Football Fundraiser: Galen Eagles Basketball Team vs. All Star Selection"

Channel 7

Can Team Belize Qualify?
Tonight, the Belize National Football team, the Jaguars is preparing for its final game of group play – when they face Cuba, which also lost its first two games. Both teams are looking at the slim possibility of advancing to the quarterfinals. That’s because the top two teams from each group advances as do the two bets third place teams. Belize is vying to be just that. Here’s how Belize can do it: If Trinidad and Salvador lose or draw tonight, then – if Belize can beat Cuba, it’s possible. But because of the goal differential, we’d have to be them handily. Like we said the possibility is slim, but it is there. And it is with that knowledge that the team had its first practice at Rentschler field in East Hartford, Connecticut about two hours ago. They are preparing to play the first game tomorrow at 3:30 Belize time. But before we go there, we first take a look back to Saturday for an in-depth breakdown of the game and an analysis by the former assistant coach Charlie Slusher. Daniel Ortiz studied the game in –depth:.. Daniel Ortiz reporting The Belize team established itself very early on the game, making better passes, and maintaining possession more than it did in the game against the US. Even the announcers on Fox News recognized that the Jaguars were playing with better focused strategies: But small cracks in the defence would start to show up under Costa Rican pressure, and at times goal keeper Woodrow West would have to get the situation under control.

Team Belize Reacts
And now we have the reaction to Saturday’s loss in Salt Lake City where the heartbreak at such a narrow defeat was palpable but so was the sense of redemption. Jules Vasquez got reaction from all sides. Ian Mork - Belize Head Coach "Glad that we were able to prove to ourselves most importantly and to everyone what type of football we can play so it was good to see the team show up today. Things didn't go our way completely but I'm proud of the players." Ian Gaynair - Defender, Belize "It's unfortunate that we had to get beat 6-1 for us to show the world that we can play football but at the end of the day I feel good about my team and my country." Everal Trapp - Defender. Belize "We played damn great - better than the first game after we took 6-1 we came out and we showed the world that we could play football." Elroy Smith - Defender, Team Captain Belize "These kinds of loss really hurt worse when it's 0ne-nil. Like I said the man didn't intentionally do that but these are things that happen."

Man Missing, Feared Drowned
Tonight the search continues for Edwardo Dominguez – a Fisherman who is missing in the Bay of Sarteneja. According to our information, Dominguez along with another fisherman left Sarteneja around 10am on Sunday morning and was heading to Bacalar Chico when their boat capsized about 2-4 miles East of Sarteneja Village. Dominguez kept afloat on an icebox while his partner managed to swim to shore for help. When he arrived at the police station in the village, it was already 3 o’clock in the evening and by the time police and coast guard arrived in the area, Dominguez was nowhere to be found and all the search team saw was the icebox and the vessel. At this time the Belize Coast Guard has a search unit active in the area along with joint efforts by police and a civilian search party. Lt. Greg Soberanis- Ops Officer, Belize Coast Guard "Sarteneja, he said that when he capsized it was approximately three to four miles east of Sarteneja in that general area, so that is the area we are currently searching." Reporter "And it happened when?" Lt. Greg Soberanis "He said, based on the time of the day, it was probably about ten yesterday morning, he estimated that they capsized. Reporter "So they had been on sea for how long?" Lt. Greg Soberanis "He said after they capsized at about ten yesterday morning, he did not reach police station until about three yesterday afternoon."

Belizeans “Represented” At Rio Tinto
At the top of the news we told you about the much applauded effort from team Belize in Utah at the Rio Tinto stadium. For that, it was rewarded with major love from its fans. You might have thought that with Utah being so remote and so far removed from the population centers where the Belizean Diaspora gather that only a few fans would show….but they were there plentifully. In fact, a lot of the folks we saw in Portland, also turned up in Salt Lake. Jules Vasquez spoke to them:… Jules Vasquez reporting In Salt Lake City, Belize was -as they say 'in the house', with flags, signs and an abundance of team spirit. "We're here supporting our Belizeans, win,loose or draw - we are all here for them to support them 100% - 'this da fu we Belize!' "We have to support our team and big them up, we have to follow them."

KHMH Wants Bucks From Buckley
3 weeks ago, 7News told you about the bill that Steven Buckley owes to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital after he spent months in the hospital after he recovered from injures that he suffered from a police inspector. Buckley wasn’t doing anything illegal or questionable, and he didn’t get a chance to identify himself before the inspector shot him in the head. He survived that ordeal, but he had to rely on the KHMH for treatment. Now that he has recovered, the KHMH wants him to pay the hospital bill, which he says is impossible because he can’t work due to his physical condition. Today, he called us back to say that the hospital is pressing him to pay now, but he was promised by the former Commissioner of Police that they would cover the expenses. Nothing has been paid, and he is asking publicly for a meeting with the new Commissioner. Steven Buckley - Seeking Police Help With Medical Bill "Well I think that I should not pay for that, I didn't get hurt, it was the police that hurt me, so I don't think that I should pay for it, the government police should pay for it"? Daniel Oritz "Have they ever promised in the past that they would assist you?" Steven Buckley "Mr. Jeffery had said that they would clear off the bill, so I don't know what happened, but I am being harassed with a letter, so I will take the letter to the commissioner and ask them to deal with it; I want the commissioner of Police to talk to me and tell me what is happening because I cannot pay for the bill that is here for me."

Man Blames KHMH For Deaths
And while the KHMH wants its money, a family from Toledo wants them to properly explain why their baby died. The Bol family from the San Antonio Village delivered their baby at the KHMH on Friday morning, and according them, even though she was premature, she was healthy. According them, the KHMH had them scheduled to be discharge yesterday, where they could take the baby home. The father, who was still grieving, came today to tell us that they showed up, and were told that the child passed away unexpectedly. He says that no explanation was given, especially because the child was doing excellently when they left. Lawrence Bol - Father of Deceased Neonate "My baby was premature and she was in the hospital; nothing was wrong with my baby. We went to breast feed her on Saturday night and all of a sudden, I went back on Sunday morning and they told me that my baby had passed away and that really hurt me because they can't find out what happened to my baby; how my baby died, they can't give me the results, and that really shocked me. She was healthy, she was supposed to be discharged yesterday, but when I arrived she had passed away. She was healthy, my wife can explain how this happened because she was with my baby last Saturday night and that really shocked both of us and we want justice for my baby. I think they are the ones, Sir, because they are supposed to take care of my baby properly, and that really shocked me when I heard my baby had passed away because nothing was wrong with my baby, nothing was wrong with her, she was healthy, very strong Sir. I want them to give me an answer as to what really happened with my baby because I am poor man, I can't support right now, really, I am poor, I don't have no money to support this that is why I am here to make this report to have someone stand and help me because I want justice. That shocked me Sir. I want justice for my baby, please, someone to stand and help me."

Body Found Floating, No Answers Yet
A decomposed body was found this evening floating in a swamp in the Jane Usher Boulevard area. So far it has not been identified by police but we were informed by our sources that it is the body of a male person. Police were called to the area around 3:30 this afternoon when they were informed by some area residents. We were told that a group of young boys came across the decomposed body while swimming in the area. Because of the state of decomposition, a post mortem was conducted on the scene. At this time the cause of death has not been determined.

Rawell’s Ongoing Woes
Last week, 7News told you about the problems that Rawell Pelayo faced while being in the US on official visit as a part of the football delegation representing Belize. Pelayo, who serves as the Vice President of the Football Federation of Belize, and as the Chairman of the National Team Committee, was arrested in Houston. His intention was to take the connecting flight to Portland, but after he was processed by Immigration in Houston, he was picked up by DEA officers. There is no official reason presented as to why he continues to be held at the Federal Detention Center in Houston, but 7News has confirmed that they intend to move him to a facility in New York. We contacted Belize’s Ambassador to the US Nestor Mendez, and he told us that the last information he has is that the DEA plans to move him very soon to that new state. Ambassador Mendez told us this evening that the US authorities haven’t shared much information with them, and they’re only authorized to share it with the family. He told us that he cannot get into any details with the press on this issue because while Pelayo is a part of the Football delegation, he is still a private citizen.

Film Festival’s Winners
The 8th Annual Belize International Film Festival closed today with a press conference by the Institute of Creative Arts to announce the winners. There weren’t many Belizeans honored this year, and the majority of the awards went to international filmmakers. 7News attended, and was spoke to 2 of the 3 of the winners from Belize who were recognized for producing content respected by the international community. Here’s how they explained their work, as well as the Festival’s explanation why Belizeans weren’t the forefront of this Festival. Daniel Ortiz "Was it difficult in trying to produce a film with budgeting and all that stuff?" Michael Flores - Most Notable Belizean Film "The thing of money, you have to sort of have a passion for what you do so that you save every little penny that you have to invest it in your work, like I am a person, I don't necessarily drink and go to parties and stuff like that and whatever money I have that would say leisure, I would take that to shoot a scene, to do a few leg work, some research. I pay people to do different things that have to be done in order to make a film complete but it's a 'knock and go' kind of a thing because here in Belize we don't necessarily have that money but we do have time, we are able to sacrifice and we have good people who support us."

Belizeans Still Bashed
And on Saturday night in Salt Lake City, Utah, the members of Belize’s national football are the ones that looked like they were acting in a movie! Despite the narrow loss, those die-hard “win, lose, or draw fans” went to their hotel in downtown Salt Lake for a well wishing and autograph signing session. 7 news was in the middle of it and we’ll have that story tomorrow….but first, tomorrow is the big game – the final one against Cuba which starts at 3:30 right here on Channel 7. Remember, if Belize can win, and with some help from tonight’s game by Trinidad and Salvador, we could squeak into the quarterfinal. It’s a slim possibility, but a mathematical possibility nonetheless.

Channel 5

Another newborn dies in K.H.M.H.
Thirteen babies died at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital in the first three weeks of May. An independent investigation by PAHO found that the babies were injected with the enterobacter [...]

How can the Jaguars advance to the next round?
Belizeans here and abroad were tuned in this past Saturday as the Belize Jaguars took on Costa Rica in their second outing in the 2013 Gold Cup. And after losing [...]

Belize loses to auto-goal
In Sports Monday, James Adderley looks at Saturday’s game against Costa Rica blow by blow. And by now you may know that Costa Rica’s only goal was scored by Co-captain [...]

Coach Mork talks about possible advancement in football
Following Saturday’s heartbreaking defeat to Costa Rica, coaches and players of the Belize National Football Selection, discussed the painful one to nothing loss.  The winning auto-goal was a mistake that [...]

Goalkeeper Woodrow West says we need to win
Cuba is the last country that Belize will on the soccer pitch. With a loss of six to one in game one against the USA, and a one-nil loss against [...]

Jaguars give condolences to Daniel Jimenez on passing of mother
A funeral service was held this afternoon in San Ignacio for Theresita Jimenez, the mother of star forward Daniel Jimenez, who had to return from the United States on Friday [...]

Cuba Team coach says they are ready for the Jaguars
The Jaguars are ready and the Cuban team is also ready for the showdown on Tuesday at the Rentschler field in Connecticut. The Cuban Coach was confident because one of [...]

Decomposing body found along Jane Usher Boulevard
Late this afternoon, Police were called to a location at the end of Jane Usher Boulevard in Belize City after children found a body lying in the creek. Unconfirmed reports [...]

Belize at the bottom of academic ladder in Latin America and Caribbean
A new and independent report commissioned by the Inter-American Development Bank indicates that there is a crisis in the education system. In fact, Belize is at the bottom of the [...]

No to Gender Policy Road Show takes on Dangriga
There have been pro-constitution, anti-gender and homosexuality marches as well as protests in Orange Walk, Toledo and Cayo. They’ve been organized by local evangelical churches in those areas with help [...]

Why box up “Faada”?
Philip “Faada” Henry is an outspoken community activist was assaulted on Friday morning as he dropped off a female friend at the bus terminal on East Collet Canal. According to [...]

Sarteneja Fisherman missing after boat capsizes
Tonight a massive search effort is underway in the waters off Ambergris Caye after a fisherman went missing when his boat capsized. At around ten a.m. Sunday morning, Sarteneja fisherman [...]

Mediterranean Fruit Fly in the south
For the first time, the presence of the Mediterranean Fruit Fly has been detected in Belize. The Belize Agricultural Health Authority is reporting multiple sightings of the fly in south [...]

Winners announced at close of Film Festival
An award ceremony this morning brought to a close the eighth Film Festival. Close to fifty films were presented. The winner of the Best Feature Length Documentary was the Abominable [...]

James Adderly with sports and Jaguars highlights
Good evening I’m James Adderley and this is Sports Monday.   We go immediately to the Rio Tinto Stadium inside Sandy Utah as Belize came out to face Costa Rica [...]

#468262 - 07/16/13 06:59 AM Re: Today's Belize News: July 16, 2013 [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

More News: Scroll up from here

Drowning in Southern Belize
A drowning incident was reported yesterday afternoon in Big Falls Village in the Toledo District. PAUL MAHUNG “Officer in Command, Toledo Police Formation, Superintendent, Simeon Alvarez spoke of the Sunday afternoon incident.” SIMEON ALVAREZ “Sunday, July 14 at a...

Police Investigates Shooting on San Pedro
Police are investigating a shooting incident in San Pedro. Police say on Saturday afternoon they visited the San Pedro Poly Clinic where they saw 31-year-old Miguel Dominguez with a wound to the left hand near his wrist and his left side. Initial investigations reveal that 24 -year-ol...

Belmopan Taxi Driver Gone Missing
45-year-old taxi driver Jose Umana and resident of Nicaragua Street extension Salvapan Belmopan has been reported missing since Saturday July 13 According to Lucia Aleman the last time she saw her common law husband was on Saturday morning sometime around 11 o’clock when he came to her stal...

Police Finds Decomposing Body in Belize City
The decomposing body of a man was discovered this afternoon in the Dyke area of Port Loyola, behind the Jane Usher Boulevard. The discovery was made by a group of youths who had gone to bathe in a small creek that runs several hundred yards behind the Belize Port Authority. But their aftern...

Fisherman Missing After Boat Capsizes
A fisherman of Sarteneja Village, Corozal, is missing and feared dead after a boating mishap sometime around ten on Sunday morning in the Bay of Sarteneja. The fisherman, Edwardo Dominguez, was traveling towards the Bacalar Chico Nature Reserve along with another fisherman identified only a...

Monday, Quarantine Issued on Fruits and Vegetables in Southern Belize
It’s the heart of the mango season and some fruit vendors import mangoes and other fruits into Belize for sale. But after the Belize Agricultural Health Authority detected the presence and rapid spread of the Mediterranean fruit fly, it has decided to quarantine the southern Districts...

Village Resident Remanded for Shotgun Possession
Thirty-three year old Richard Dominguez, a laborer of Biscayne Village, became an inmate of Belize Central prison today when he was charged with kept firearm and ammunition without a gun license. Dominguez pled not guilty to the charges. Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser explained to him that she c...

Guatemalan National Caught Using Belizean Passport
Twenty-two year old Guatemalan national Bianca Magana, charged with using a document not entitled to use, a Belizean passport, was fined $1,500.00 today by Magistrate Clive Lino after she pled guilty to the charge. Magistrate Lino ordered her to pay five hundred dollars forthwith and the balance ...

British High Commissioner to Belize Wraps Up Term In-Country
Scheduled to depart Belize in early August is British High Commissioner to Belize, Pat Ashworth, whose term of office has come to an end. High Commissioner Ashworth told Love News that the highlights of his visit came towards the end of his tour of duty. Pat Ashworth, British High Commi...

8th Belize International Film Festival: Top Films Awarded In Five Categories
The Eight Annual Belize International Film Festival officially closed this morning with an award ceremony recognizing the top films screened during a span of three days. Winner were chosen for the five categories including best feature documentary, best music video and best short documentary. The...

Summer Is Here And So Is The OWC Summer Camp
During this time of the year primary school students are out for their summer vacations and usually have a lot of free time, hopefully to invest in positive activities. By...

LICU Invests In The Future Leaders Of Belize For nine years, the La Inmaculada Credit Union Limited has been offering much needed assistance to students leaving primary school and going into high school. This year was no different...

Millions Pumped Into The Education Sector Yet Students of Low Income Families Do Not Enjoy Benefits
A release issued by the Inter-American Development Bank is giving a black eye to Belize when it comes to the education sector. The 43 page document, which outlines the challenges...

16 Year Old Minor Charged For Stabbing 60 Year Old Man
There was a serious stabbing incident in Orange Walk Town over the weekend, one, which left an entire family in shock and the victim clamoring for justice. The nearly fatal...

Team Jaguars Loses Game Against Costa Rica
After recovering from a terrible defeat of 6 goals to one against U.S.A, Belize’s Jaguars were back in the field for the second round of the Gold Cup where they...

One Man Lost At Sea, His Family Expects The Worst
Tonight there is a high possibility that a fishing trip turned deadly over the weekend as a search party and personnel of the Coast Guard continue their search for a...

Belize loses to Costa Rica at the CONCACAF Gold Cup
They were written off as over-matched after a 6-1 crushing by the United States on Tuesday, and were reeling from a series of crises that would break lesser men – the travails of a mentor locked up in jail; a teammate facing a devastating loss at home; and the...

Family seeks answers in dissapearance of Belmopan taxi driver
Tonight, the family of a local cab driver is desperately searching for answers after their loved one went missing over the weekend. 45 year old Jose Marin Umana Aguilar, a Honduran of Salvapan, Belmopan, was last seen by his wife on Saturday morning. She says he visited her vendor’s...

Father seeks answers in baby daughter’s death
Fresh from the scandal of thirteen babies dead in a span of three weeks, seven attributed to a bacterium that invaded the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) of the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH), another premature baby from Toledo District has died there and her father wants answers. We...

Police await DPP’s directive on shooting of 18 year old
Earlier this month we told you that Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Cheryl-Lynn Vidal contacted Commissioner of Police Allen Whylie concerning three cases in which she alleged there was improper conduct of police officers to the detriment of the investigations or prosecution....

BAHA quarantines portion of the south over Meditaranen Fruit Fly
A 24-hour quarantine checkpoint has been placed on the southern highway after Mediterranean fruit flies were detected at various points in the Toledo District, Mango Creek and along the Placencia Peninsula. The Mediterranean Fruit Fly, also known as Ceratitis Capitata, is considered as one of the world’s most destructive...

Costa Rica to hold referendum on same-sex marriage
The attack of the Homosexual Agenda on countries boasting a Christian majority continues. As we have reported, on Thursday, July 4th, Costa Rica’s President, Laura Chinchilla signed a bill that legalized gay civil unions. Law makers asked President Chinchilla to veto the law as it had been added “accidentally”...

GSU were not involved in arrest of Dean Bruce
On Friday we reported that the Gang Suppression Unit (GSU) had picked up Deon Bruce ahead of his appearance in court for an extradition hearing to Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. on charges of murder. Assistant Superintendent Marco Vidal, who is head of Police Special Branch which has authority over the...

Steven Buckley claims Police should pay medical bills
Police Commissioner Whylie faces a call from a citizen his men allegedly shot and injured in April of 2010 to take care of his hospital bill. We told you of the travails of Steven Buckley, who at the time of the incident was a construction worker returning home from...

San Pedro police investigate shooting
A man was shot in San Pedro on Saturday afternoon. 31 year old Miguel Dominguez, a Belizean bartender, was shot to his wrist and to the left side. According to police reports, 24 year old Daniel Maldonado, manager of San Pedrito area, San Pedro Town, was walking on Angel...

Two persons detained following stabbing of elderly man in Orange Walk
An elderly man was stabbed by a drunk woman in Orange Walk. On Saturday, 13 July 60 year old Aristeo Cowo Sr., a Belizean Laborer of Orange Walk Town, was stabbed to the upper left side of his chest. Police say that at 6:45 p.m. that day, Aristeo was...

Police investigate stabbing in Dangriga
There was another stabbing over the weekend. This time in Dangriga. On Sunday 14 July, at about 10:15pm, Dangriga Police were on mobile patrol when they visited a club located on Commerce St., Dangriga. Police say they saw 34 year old Kizzy Neal laying down on a bench inside...

Awaken Belize held in Mango Creek
Awaken Belize was held in Mango Creek last week. It is the fourth annual Awaken Belize to be held in that community and organizers pulled off a four day event the young people of that area will not soon forget. The purpose of the event...

The Reporter

Is new amendment recipee for corruption?
Public Accounts Committee members say recent changes to the law that enables the Government of Belize to engage in foreign exchange dealings without the Central Bank’s approval is a recipe for corruption, but Prime Minister Dean Barrow says that’s not the case.

Detained Pending Extradition?
The family of Dion Bruce, and his Attorney, Michael Peyrefitte, Senior Counsel, have alleged that the Gang Suppression Unit, GSU, is holding Bruce with the intention of extraditing him to the United States. They make the claim on grounds that since Bruce was picked up this afternoon, he has not [...]

Double jeopardy lands Guat xateros behind bars
Two Guatemalans caught in the Chiquibul on June 14, and charged with firearms offences and drug trafficking were freed of the charges in the San Ignacio Magistrate’s Court, but were sentenced to prison in the Belmopan Magistrate’s court.

Why Quality, starting at the Tertiary Sector, is the most important component in Education for Sustainable Development
Spending on our education system without special attention to Quality is a formula for waste and frustration, leading to diminished expectations and an exacerbation of our problems in Belize. At the heart of this matter is the need to recognize what comprises quality in education, with special focus on the [...]

Indigenous peoples take GOB to court
The Maya Leaders Association and the Toledo Alcaldes Association have filed legal action against the Government of Belize for contempt of court. The case was filed on Tuesday because the indigenous groups feel that the Government is not respecting their land rights, which were affirmed by Supreme Court judgments in [...]

Upgrade of BTL Park moves into final phase
On Monday, Belize City Mayor Darrell Bradley, along with representatives from Belize Telemedia Limited (BTL) and the Caribbean Local Economic Development Program (CARILED) broke ground for the final two phase of the BTL Park upgrade.

UB passes the torch of learning to Orange Walk
Hundreds of students in northern Belize will receive an improved quality of education, with the launch of the University of Belize’s Northern Outreach Programme. The programme, which was officially launched last Friday at the Louisiana Government School, took in its first cohort of 58 teachers pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in [...]

Valerie Woods, symposium coordinator, explains the importance of the Chiquibul
The Easter holidays are the times when Belizeans do the most traveling in and around the country. This past Easter, Valarie Woods and her family made a special journeyed to explore the natural wonders of the Chiquibul forest nestled deep inside the Mountain Pine Ridge range, in the Cayo District.

Accused rapist walks free! Victim, 61, unable to attend court.
A Freetown Sibun man, who has been accused of rape and aggravated burglary walked free from the Supreme Court on Tuesday, after the key prosecution witness failed to show up at thes tart of trial.

Former cyclist Conrad Vincent Smith, 56, remanded on firearm and ammunition charges
Conrad Vincent Smith, 56, a former cross country cyclist and maintenance worker of St Martin’s DePorres, was remanded to prison on firearm and ammunition charges on Tuesday, after being was arraigned in the Magistrate’s Court.

UN questions Vatican over child abuse cases
A major UN child rights protection body has asked the Vatican to disclose details of thousands of paedophilia cases involving Catholic clergy. The Committee on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) made the request ahead of its hearing with Holy See officials, scheduled for January.

Why fruit isn’t making you fat
Sugar has been making headlines as of late, with celebrities and trainers alike singling it out as one of the key culprit in America’s obesity crisis. Trouble is, fruit–because it contains natural sugar–sometimes gets lumped in with foods like baked goods, candy, and sugary drinks. As a result, it gets [...]

Interpol investigates attempted match fixing of Belize-USA game
Interpol is investigating a reported attempt to fix the Belize – USA game in the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Football Associations (CONCACAF) Gold Cup played at the Jeld-Wen Stadium in Portland, Oregon, on Tuesday, July 9. CONCACAF passed the investigation over to Interpol after Belize’s head coach, [...]

Excellence wins 1st SMART Harrison Parks cricket final
Defending champions, Excellence of Double Head Cabbage, upset Brilliant Cricket Club of Crooked Tree 84-79 in the first match of the 2013 SMART Harrison Parks National Cricket Finals in Crooked Tree on Saturday, July 6. The Crooked Tree eleven batted first, with Arturo Wade opening with four runs before he [...]

Ladyville Jaguars upset Gentle Touch 3-2 in Atlantic Bank football
The Ladyville Jaguars scored a surprise 3-2 upset over four-time national women’s champions, Gentle Touch of Esperanza Village, when the Atlantic Bank National Women’s Football Competition continued at the Norman Broaster Stadium in San Ignacio last Saturday, July 6.

Shooting in the dark with GoPro HD Hero2
It’s no exaggeration to say that the GoPro has changed the world of adventure video making and created a niche market in sports photography. GoPro’s cameras are designed to be strapped on to helmets, bikes, boats, and it is about capturing action from the adventurer’s perspective. For those who want a high-quality fun tech toy to capture life’s adventurous moments, the GoPro HD Hero2 is the way to go. Don’t be fooled by it’s size and toy like looks. GoPro offers durability and a sealed housing that can submerge to a depth of 60m. It has a super wide lens, which is great for action shots by allowing you to record a large field of view with the fish-eye lens. Small size, variety of mounts and waterproof case make it ideal for capturing zip-lining, windsurfing, and underwater adventures. I jumped at the opportunity to sign one out from work and give it a test drive. I decided to do so without reading the manual and see what I came up with.

It’s a mystery and 2 great #Travel Tuesday tips
Ever have computer programs suddenly change on you and the change back a while later just as mysteriously as they have changed in the first place? Lately it has been happening to me a fair bit, one day my iTunes switched to a new format after I downloaded the latest update. I got used to the new way of navigating the new look when out of the blue the other day I was adding a few songs and it some how had reverted to the original screen view. Same tech issue also happened with one of my picture viewers minus the uploading latest version which makes it even weirder. A similar tech issue also happens with facebook where sometimes it will allow me to upload a new timeline pic to my tacogirl.com page and other times it will not let me do it unless I select use facebook as tacogirl option and it keeps going back and forth.

Chaa Creek’s Rainforest Pharmacy Attracts Record Visitors
People visit the little Caribbean nation of Belize for many reasons; from the excellent scuba diving to exploring Maya temples. But a new breed of traveler is looking to find better health and therapeutic remedies in the many medicinal plants of Belize, according to a naturalist guide at Chaa Creek. Miguel Choco, one of Chaa Creek’s senior licensed naturalist guides, said that the while eco resort’s Rainforest Medicine Trail attracts more visitors each year, there had been a definite surge in guests seeking natural remedies recently. “We’ve been surprised by the number of people who are specifically asking about the medicinal plant trail,” Mr Choco said, “Usually, when people come here and learn about it they become curious and want to check it out. But this year we’re getting more people asking about the medicinal plant trail as soon as they arrive. It’s keeping our guides busy,” he added. Mr Choco said that Belizeans have been using natural remedies sourced from the forest pharmacopeia for thousands of years, and that the practice continues today.

“Don’t Worry Baby” in Ambergris Caye, Belize.
It was a very grey day on Ambergris Caye On Saturday. An overcast sky. Sounds of thunder. Occasional flashes of lightning. Then the rain. And did it rain and just as I was on my way back from town too! I had the windscreen (windshield for non UK readers) up. I was wearing a rainproof jacket. But when the rain came down just as I approached Denny’s Donuts & Truck Stop in Coconut Drive I got drenched. And I mean DRENCHED. By the time I got home I felt and looked like a drowned rat (“friends”(or anyone else for that matter) in the UK please do not see this as an invitation to comment!). After I had changed my clothes Rose and I had lunch and waited for the weather to hopefully clear so that we could go visit our build in Ambergris Caye, Belize but by 2.45 pm it had shown no sign of abating so we decided to set off anyway. Rainwear on we stopped off first at Pedro’s Hotel to collect Dave, our friend who is a serving member BATSUB) who had come to Ambergris Caye for the weekend, so that he could see what progress had been made since his last visit.

International Sources

Ecotourism in Belize, Preserve, Conserve, and Educate
With its lush tropical sites, impressive mountains and caves, and intriguing ancient Mayan ruins, Belize is a haven for ecotourism and exploration. Belize is so well suited to ecotourism, that it has become the country’s largest industry. Unfortunately, the ecotourists have also brought with them, albeit unintentionally, environmental degradation of many of Belize’s most popular ecotourism sites. Since neither the government nor local tourism managers have the funds or the capacity to repair the damage, there has been a call for ecotourists to increase their awareness and act more sustainably as they travel. The government, local tourism managers, and the private sector, however, are dedicated to preservation of their fragile environment, and there are many options for ecotourists to ensure they are treading sustainably.

Next: Danny Michel And The Garifuna Collective
Canadian Danny Michel is a veteran songwriter with a lengthy career: The folk-rock musician, whose voice recalls that of Paul Simon, already has nine albums to his name. But his latest record, Blackbirds Are Dancing Over Me, is a little bit different. In 2012, Michel relocated to Belize in order to work with The Garifuna Collective, a group of musicians who carry on soulful traditions surrounding the history of their West African ancestors. Hear two new songs from Blackbirds Are Dancing Over Me, a collaboration which brings out some of Michel's best songwriting yet.

Climate change official defends region
The Deputy Director of the Belize-based Caribbean Community Climate Change Center, Dr Ulric Trotz, has defended regional countries from criticism for seeking financial assistance. According to Caribbean Media Corporation, Trotz said the region needed the finances to deal with issues like strengthening costal defenses, making airports and seaports less vulnerable to climate risks. Trotz said that the Caribbean has always felt there is a moral argument for the developed countries to provide financing to help deal with the impacts of climate change, a phenomena that is of a result of our developmental patterns.

The Insurance Industry in Belize, Key Trends and Opportunities to 2017
The economy of Belize is small and largely dependent on agriculture and tourism, with GDP estimated at BZD3.2 billion (US$1.6 billion) in 2012. After negative growth due to the financial crisis of 2009, GDP grew along with improvement in agriculture production (such as sugar and citrus) and increase in overnight tourist arrivals, especially from the US. The insurance industry expanded at a CAGR of 6.3% during the review period (2008-2012). The industry is regulated by the Supervisor of Insurance. The insurance industry is competitive, with twelve companies serving a population of 332,700 at the end of 2011. As with elsewhere in the Central American region, the non-life segment accounts for the largest proportion of gross written premium with 44.2% of the total in 2012. Synopsis The report provides in depth market analysis, information and insights into the insurance industry in Belize, including: - The Belizean insurance industry's growth prospects by insurance segments and categories - The competitive landscape in the Belizean insurance industry - The current trends and drivers of the Belizean insurance industry - The challenges facing the Belizean insurance industry - The regulatory framework of the Belizean insurance industry Key Topics Covered: 1 Executive Summary 2 Introduction 3 Belizean Insurance Industry Overview

Danny Michel with the Garifuna Collective
With Andy Palacio's groundbreaking Wátina, the BBC 2007 world music album of the year, the singer-songwriter-guitarist-bandleader-UNESCO Artist for Peace seemed poised to put the Garifuna Collective and Central America's Caribbean coast on the world music map. His triumphant tour of the Western Hemisphere and Western Europe culminated with the Collective's knockout appearance at WOMEX 2007 in Sevilla, where they and the Cumbancha label collected their BBC awards. Palacio's tragic January 2008 death at 47 was a body blow to his native Belize and the 300,000 Garifuna people of Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and urban North America. Anyone who witnessed all that, or the massive popular outpouring at Palacio's mobbed state funeral in Belize, could be excused for thinking the best days might have passed. But they would be mistaken. Producer Ivan Duran and the Collective resolved to continue in tribute to Palacio and the music and culture he championed. This summer they are touring Canada and the U.S. before moving on to Europe in the fall, behind Ayó and their Juno-nominated collaboration with Canadian singer-songwriter Danny Michel, Black Birds Are Dancing Over Me.

The Passport Party Project
First things first: Judging the Passport to Belize contest was hard. The judges and I wanted everyone who entered to win. We're travelers, so we love the idea of giving the gift of travel to everyone. For us, it is like giving a part of ourselves. If we could put the world in a box and give it to all of the girls, we would. And yet, it wouldn't be a contest if there weren't people who won and people who lost, right? It's one of those disappointing life lessons, but definitely not the end of the world. So April, Shelley, Ana, Expedia and I would like to say a special Thank You to all of the girls that put their hearts into entering The Passport Party Project's Passport to Belize contest. We believe that your shiny new little blue travel booklet is merely the beginning of your journey to global citizenship.

Running Diary: How to Ditch a Vehicle in Belize, Part 2
To recap, my last day in Guatemala, at least on this particular tourist visa has been a disaster. While the trip itself to the Guatemala-Belize border went fine, all things considered, things had definitely taken a turn for the worse. Customs officials in Guatemala had just informed me that I’d be unable to bring the vehicle back into Guatemala for at least 90 days. Needing time to ponder my options, I headed towards Belize’s immigration building to at least check myself into the country. On with the diary: 7:05p.m.: I drive through the “fumigation” machine at the Belize border. For the honor of letting my car be sprayed with what I suspect is just water, I pay $10BZD. I park the Jeep to the side and walk towards the Customs/Immigration building, paperwork on hand. I’m always baffled as to why Belizean immigration seems so intent in keeping tourists outside the country. In my experience, they always seem to want to limit visas to the minimum requested number of days and not one more hour. I suspect it’s a way to get more money from tourists, should they want to extend their visa. At this point, I don’t want to make a scene and just want to move on to the next checkpoint.

I think I killed a chicken on a chicken bus
I loaded my pack on the back of the brightly painted bus, hopped on to the bumper, and in. I put my bag in the only spot left it would fit, on top of a few boxes and a giant tire, same as I had done all week. At this point this was our 5th or 6th bus while in Belize, it was becoming routine. We never seem to time it right to catch the express bus, so passengers are constantly loading and unloading. Mid way through the trip the bus driver helps unload another passenger that had some luggage in the back. He pulls our packs off the cardboard boxes I stacked them on.

Why the secret world of Belize business alarmed US drug agents
US documents obtained by the Guardian reveal for the first time why the drug enforcement agency and other US authorities were so concerned about millionaire Tory treasurer Michael Ashcroft’s offshore world in the 1990s. The original discovery that references to the Florida-based Tory donor existed in DEA files led to controversy two years ago. Mr Ashcroft issued a libel writ against the Times, which published a correction, and he declared there was nothing to support “allegations that I am a drug runner and money launderer.” Mr Ashcroft was correct. No evidence exists to implicate him in committing crimes. Nor was he investigated on suspicion of doing so. What worried the Americans was that the Ashcroft-inspired tax haven in Belize in central America was, as a side-effect, encouraging fraud, money laundering, drugs and bribery in a small, poverty-stricken jungle state with corruptible officials. Mr Ashcroft had arrived in the small former British colony at the beginning of the 1990s. He moved many of his interests there and bought control of the largest local bank, the Belize Bank, and encouraged local politicians to pass laws between 1990 and 1992 which set up flags of convenience, and secretive offshore “international business companies” and trusts, in return for paying annual registration fees to the government.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 58 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,241 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.