Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#468527 - 07/19/13 11:52 AM Today's Belize News: July 19, 2013
Marty Online   happy

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Caribbean sports leaders visit Canberra
Caribbean government ministers and senior officials with responsibility for sport were welcomed to Canberra, the national capital of Australia, on 5 July. The group enjoyed meeting with the Australian Capital Territory’s (ACT) minister for sport, players from the University of Canberra Brumbies Super Rugby team and visiting the Australian Institute of Sport. The 19 officials in the delegation were visiting as recipients of an Australia Awards Fellowship, funded by Australian Government agency AusAID, for a 21-day Australian study tour. They were hosted on the tour by University of Canberra sport studies staff member Chris Nunn, of Chris Nunn Consulting. Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Antigua and Barbuda, Nevis, St. Christopher and Nevis, St. Vincent and Grenadines, Suriname and St. Lucia were all represented on the group. During the trip to Canberra, the group had the chance to hear from University of Canberra Brumbies Chief Executive Officer Andrew Fagan, meet with some Brumbies players and ACT Minister for Sport the Hon. Andrew Barr MLA, who shared some insights into his role. St. Christopher and Nevis Senior Sports Officer from the Department of Sports, Vernon Springer, said the visit to Canberra was “great”.

Tanya Carter set for the International Costa Maya Festival®
The International Costa Maya Festival® is less than two weeks away and plans are in full gear. Another exciting young artist is set to bring entertainment to the stage. Belizean singer Tanya Carter will be performing on Saturday, July 3rd. Tanya has been singing since the early age of four. At 18 she recorded and released her first song “I Wanna Get to Know You Better”, which soon became a hit. The three-time Belizean Female Vocalist of the Year brings with her a Dancehall/Reggae fusion that is sure to have the crowd dancing and enjoying the vibes. With songs like “Low” and “Ex-Boyfriend”, Tanya’s performance is sure to be a crowd pleaser.

IDB Technical note paints the harsh reality of Belize’s Education system
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) has issued a Technical note on the Belize Education system after examining the years of 1999 through 2011, which were broken down into individual time periods within 10-year segments. The report is alarming and paints the reality of the country’s education in a 43-page document. Essentially the report details that over the past decade Belize is paying far too much for education but getting little from it. The report goes on to point out that despite high levels of public spending on education, glaring inequalities in access and quality persist at all levels. “Many of those enrolled in the schools will repeat or drop out before graduating. Many children are still not achieving satisfactory levels of performance on exams. There is a serious shortage of trained and qualified teachers at all levels of the system, and there is limited enforcement of accountability. Spending in the sector is inefficient.”

Ambergris Today

Tanya Carter to Perform at International Costa Maya Festival
The International Costa Maya Festival is proud to announce that Belize’s Tanya Carter will be performing at this year’s festival. The lovely talented Tanya is set to perform on Saturday, August 3, 2013. Tanya Carter will be the opening act for international super stars Los Yonics. Be sure to get your tickets and make it this year’s International Costa Maya Festival. About Tanya Carter: Coming from a musical family, where her great-grandmother, grand-mother, mother and father were involved with music in some way, Tanya’s love for music came almost naturally. At the tender age of four, Tanya joined the Grace Primary School Choir as the youngest choir member. The songstress went on to the Edward P. High School where she joined the choir and was introduced to classic and operatic singing. Despite, these influences Tanya was determined that she would become a Reggae singer.

Costa Maya Festival Announces Miss Mexico Contestant
Nuestra Belleza Zacatecas 2012, Thalia Artemisa Rivera Martiñez has been confirmed to represent her country as Miss Mexico Costa Maya at the Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant that will be taking place at the International Costa Maya Festival in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. Artemisa stands 5’ 7” tall, has brown eyes and brown hair. Miss Mexico now joins Destinee Arnold - Belize, Andrea Rojas - Costa Rica, Monica Elwing Gough – Honduras, Cleirys Velásquez – Panama and Ariadna Melendez - Nicaragua. All other Mundo Maya countries and Central American region have confirmed their participation at the pageant and the two remaining contestants will be announced shortly.

Misc Belizean Sources

Maya Flats Airstrip Reopens
Maya Flats has been paved, and Tropic Air has commenced using it again. They'll be adding all the new flights starting on November 15th. "San Ignacio Airstrip Reopens Today After Resurfacing. After a series of weather related delays, Tropic Air is pleased to announce that the upgrade to an all weather surface (pavement) of the runway at the San Ignacio (Maya Flats) airstrip is complete, and that flight operations have resumed from that location. We thank the people and resorts of the Cayo District for their support and patience while we completed this important improvement. We can now look forward to providing the people of San Ignacio and Benque Viejo improved air service and a growing list of destinations. Thank you!"

Bad Rabbit at Benque Fiesta
If you missed the Metal Haven concert at the Benque Fiesta, here's Bad Rabbit performing the Eurythmics' hit Sweet Dreams. Daniel Velazquez shot the video. Rick Galvez performs regularly at the Soul Project, and Bad Rabbit will be performing there soon. "Music video made from live performance from Metal Haven gig, artistic video, direct cinema style/Dogme, experimental film. Original song by Eurythmics"

Aguada Adventure
The Aguada just had a great web article written about it. It describes the Aguada perfectly, and explains why they continually stay there. Spoiler alert: It's because the Butcher's are doing it right. "As the sun set and the aguada (watering hole) we had been watching disappeared into darkness outside lights were turned on, illuminating the courtyard and the swimming pool adjacent to the palapa. Tall nameless trees strangely visible in the darkness of night stretched far upwards. A slight breeze riffled through the palm trees, their large leaves fanning the night air. And then came the exhilaration that travellers feel when they resume the adventure they had been forced by mundane circumstances to abandon. Then we stumbled and tumbled into bed, sleeping the sleep of the dead till song birds and crazy cackling grackles awoke us in the morning."

Strawberry Snow Cone Syrup

“Never Gonna Give You Up” in Ambergris Caye, Belize.
Wanting to make sure that we get the tiles how we want them in our bathrooms I sent an email yesterday to Daniel Camal, our building contractor, asking if it was possible to meet him at our build in Ambergris Caye, Belize. It wasn’t too long before he replied and we had the meeting set up for 11.30 am at our house (no better place to describe what we want). With the meeting organised I headed off for breakfast, yes long time readers, at Estel’s. With breakfast completed I then went to Atlantic International Bank‘s branch in Pescador Drive to withdraw some money (don’t you just hate having to do this) and then headed home to prepare for our meeting. With a stop off at Gekko Graphics to get a print out showing which tiles we had chosen for which room we got to our build in Ambergris Caye, Belize shortly after 11.30 am where Daniel was waiting for us and we proceeded to “tour” the house specifying in what room we want which tile. And the direction we want the tiles to ‘run’ in.

Kolbe Officer abuse coverup
Two prison guards have been terminated from Kolbe Institute, a prison centre in Belize because they tried to help a female co-worker after she experienced a sexual advancement and possible harassment by a superior. The female officer was approached by Kolbe’s Head of Security during an employee event in a public bathroom on Sunday. The female co-worker immediately fought off the advances and left the bathroom, she then proceeded to inform fellow guards at the event. Two (Gaspar Camara and Mr. Camara’s supervisor, Filipe Gongora) of which advised her to report the incident to her superiors and to the police which she did. When both Camara and Gongora reported to work on Monday, their personal cell phones were confiscated and searched by prison management. On Camara’s phone was a text message timed approximately 45 minutes prior to his shift start time, encouraging the his co-worker to pursue charges of her superior. Camara also noted that Kolbe also illegally taps employees phones. Both personal phones remain confiscated.

Channel 7

Slain Taxi Man May Have Been Robbed of 5k
Tonight, the family, friends and associates of 45 year-old taxi driver Jose Marin Umana Aguilar continue to grieve his loss after he was found dead in an area between the George Price Boulevard and the Western Highway yesterday. His death comes as a shock to his family because according to them, he was very hard-working and quiet family man. More than that, his wife says he strictly avoids alcohol, drugs and bad company. She explained to us today how she realized that something was wrong when he didn’t answer his phone. Lucia Aleman - Wife of Deceased "I called him and he didn't answer the phone but it was ringing then I insisted an entire hour calling him and I didn't know why he didn't answer the phone. That night he went missing I was looking for him like crazy because he's a person that never turns off his phone on me, it doesn't matter if he's mad he still answers the phone. Seven years we're married and he has never stayed out at night and that night he did and I couldn't believe it."

Police Minister Says Buckley Situation Should Be Resolved
For the past few weeks, we’ve been reporting on the plight of Stephen Buckley. He was wrongfully shot in the head by police in 2010; and after a five week investigation, Inspector Dennis Lopez was charged for his attempted murder. But now the KHMH is running Buckley down for six thousand dollars that they say he owes for his long hospitalization when they recoved 12 shotgun pellets form his head. The hospital is just trying to get paid – but the outrage is that the police department has completely lapsed in its obligation to a man who was shot for no reason – actually Buckley was returning from work when he was shot, a sad irony since he can’t even work anymore due to the after effects of the gun shot. Today, we asked police Minister John Saldivar for comment. Hon. John Saldivar - Minister of National Security "I have promised to look into the matter, the commissioner is currently out of the country but as soon as he returns - I will have a sit down with him and see how we can work something amicable. I do believe - if it is the case that he was mistakenly shot, then something needs to be done to work out a solution."

Police and DPP Back and Forth With Rasheed Eligio File While Family Waits For Justice
We also got Saldivar to comment on the case with Rasheed Eligio. Eligio is the 18 year old who was shot and killed by Punta Gorda police in mid-May of this year. Since then, none of the pursuing officers have disclosed who fired the fatal shot, and an in depth investigation has been conducted backed up by ballistics testing to see which gun the bullet came from. But charges have still not been brought – and we’ve learned this week that the case file has been sent from police to the DPP, and now its back at the police, directed to the Commissioner. The problem is that while investigators know which gun killed Eligio, they don’t know who was handling the gun; in fact, there is conflicting evidence as to which pursuing police officer was in possession of the firearm when the fatal shot was fired. The DPP has concerns over the way the investigation is being handled and concerns over the account given by the police officers so she has sent the file back to the Commissioner. While this back and forth goes on, Eligio’s family wants long delayed justice. We asked Minister Saldivar about it today. Hon. John Saldivar - Minister of National Security "I imagine that all that needs to be done now is for the police to complete the investigation - so whatever it is that the DPP has said is deficient in the files, the investigators will have to return to do that work."

Belize Brings Global Experts To Discuss Climate Change
Last week Monday, 7news showed you the international consultation that the Ministry of Energy was participating in which discussed ways to make the country more energy efficient. The country’s Energy Director explained that Belize is one of the most wasteful countries in terms of energy when compared one the per-capita basis – which basically means the country’s carbon footprint exceeds its needs. And, talk of carbon emissions leads inevitably to climate change and that’s what was discussed today at summit of climate experts held in Cayo. It was planned by the Caribbean Community Climate Change Center and we attended the first day of that meeting: Daniel Ortiz reporting Today, climate experts from all over the world were in Cayo for Belize’s hosting of the first ever Intra-African Caribbean Pacific Global Climate Change Alliance Programme. If the lengthy name seems daunting, it shouldn’t because the climate change issue has been around for years now, and the effects of it are clear as day to see with erratic weather patterns, the rise in sea level and the increase in average global temperature. It is a matter which these experts are taking very seriously, but today the EU Delegation Representative used a little humor to break the ice, and open up the discussion:

Man Accused Of Molesting Pre-Teen Girl
50 year-old Charles Bucknor, a carpenter from Vernon Street is in jail tonight after he was arraigned for inappropriately touching a 12 year-old girl. According to police, the minor, in the presence her parent reported that on Tuesday, Bucknor performed oral sex on her on Tuesday, and as a result, police arrested and charged him with aggravated assault of an indecent nature. He was arraigned today before Senior Magistrate Sharon Frazer who remanded him to prison on the strength of the objections from the prosecutor. He will be brought back to court on August 29, his next court date.

IMF Congratulates Belize, Says Large Financing May Be Needed For Compensation Settlement
On Tuesday, the IMF issued a press release on its Article IV consultation in Belize. This is after concluding its article four consultation with Belize on June 21st. The Fund’s Executive Directors congratulated the authorities on the strong economic performance last year and the successful launching of Superbond 2.0. It warns that “the government may face large financing needs over the medium term largely associated with compensation to the former shareholders of nationalized companies,” pending legal rulings. They urge government to moderate wage increases and broadening the base for the general sales tax – meaning fewer zero rated and exempt items. For context, we note that the Barrow Administration has a consistent record of paying little attention to IMF recommendations.

Expanding Awareness Of Chiquibul
The Chiquibul Forest – is the largest protected area in Belize and being along the western border, it’s under constant pressure from populations on the Guatemalan side. The residents on that side are looking for green land where they can farm, or virgin forests from which they can extract huge logs, or Xate – and that’s because their forests have been stripped and they’ve run out of arable land….Which leads them to the Chiquibul’s vast expanse of protected areas. That un-relenting pressure is the subject of a high level Symposium that’s being held tomorrow. It’s called “Alarming Threats To Peace Conservation National Stability.” That’s pretty dramatic and Valerie Woods who is a Member of the Friends For Conservation and Development which co-manages Chiquibul, explains the urgency and the need for a national reaction:

Man Alleges Police Brutality
We get complaints about police brutality on a regular basis – and while some cases are being dealt with, many go unheard. But tonight one man says enough is enough and he is speaking out for the rights of all victims. Andy Cruz had an encounter with 3 police officers on Tuesday night – after he was chased and then pulled over. According to Cruz, he was chasing down a Benque Bus for a friend to board but did not notice that he was being pursued by a police mobile. Police allegedly fired a shot police towards Cruz’s vehicle that caused him to pull over. With his head bandaged and his newborn in hand, he told us about the madness that then unfolded. Andy Cruz - Claims Police Brutality "I stopped my vehicle and when I stopped the police told me to step out of the vehicle backwards." Monica Bodden "You didn't have any idea that the police were behind your vehicle while traveling? You didn't know they were chasing you?" Andy Cruz "No because I was rushing - when I stepped out of the vehicle they actually handcuffed me backwards and when this happened the two officers just continuously kept hitting me in my head with their gun that they had in their hands. As you notice this hit on the side of my face right now - the only part of my nose that I can feel is over here - everything else is numb. My eyes are really irritating me right now, I can't even take the pain in my head and this that is happening and the way the shooting happened - if you had any problem with me then you could have handcuffed me and take me to the police precinct. But the way the shooting happened, now if you shot inside my door and my vehicle was straight and you happened to have caught my baby..."

Man Remanded After He Was Found Handling
29 year-old John Burke, a fisherman from Sarstoon Street is behind bars tonight. According to police, Reginald Welch’s house on Jones Street was robbed on May 28, 2013, and $11,590 worth of personal items was stolen. Police investigated and they arrested and charged Burke with burglary and handling stolen goods because some of the items were allegedly discovered in his possession. He was arraigned today before Senior Magistrate Frazer who remanded him because he was deemed a flight risk. He will be brought back to court on August 30, his next court date.

Inmate Sentenced For Weed Possession
20 year-old prison inmate Trevor Jones will spend 6 years in prison after he was busted with 8 ounces of weed in jail. A prison officer searched his tennis shoes this morning and found a total of 8.25 ounces of marijuana in 2 separate parcels. As a result he was charged with 2 counts of drug trafficking, which he pleaded guilty to when he was arraigned before Senior Magistrate Frazer. She sentenced him to pay fines to a total of 6 years in prison, and he must pay $20,000 by October 31, or he will serve an additional 6 years which will run concurrently.

Jamaica Enacts Smoking Ban
Jamaica has enacted a smoking ban which prohibits smoking in enclosed, public, and work places – even bars! With that Jamaica becomes the fourth country in the Caribbean community to become 100% smoke-free. It has implications for Belize where a convention has been signed and draft legislation is in the works. Our colleague at CEEN News, Kalilah Enriquez took an in depth look at the smoking ban in that country. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFlytiC5_M0 In Belize, the Frame work Convention on tobacco Control was launched in 2010 and Cabinet approved Article Eight (Protection from Exposure to tobacco smoke) with the following measures. • the prohibition of smoking within Government Buildings • the prohibition of smoking in private business where the public accesses services, for example: Lobbies of Banks, hotels. Restaurants must indicate ‘Smoking’ and ‘No Smoking’ areas

Belize Won Basketball
Last night, we told you about the Hoops Dreams Basketball club which competed in the Copa Cancun Basketball Tournament. We told how the team dominated the tournament and advanced to the finals. We reported that they were defeated, but that was an error; the team actually won the finals, and they are the champions of the Copa Cancun Tournament.

Channel 5

Mexican fighter jets given permission to fly over Belize
Earlier this month, News Five reported on the presence of Mexican military planes in Belizean airspace. At the time there were persistent reports that on June thirtieth at least three [...]

Interpol looks for Michael Silva, murder suspect
A Belizean, who has been missing following the murder of his girlfriend, is currently on INTERPOL’s wanted list. The International Criminal Police Organization, INTERPOL, is an intergovernmental organization facilitating international [...]

F.F.B. Vice President taken to New York to Face Narcotics Conspiracy
During the Jaguars time in the Gold Cup Games played in three U.S. cities, the Football Federation of Belize suffered a slight embarrassment when one of its players was denied [...]

Families of men shot by police officers want justice
Aggrieved families believe that there is a pattern of excessive use of force by the Police. There is the well-known case of Stephen Buckley, who survived two shots to the [...]

Minister of National Security says proper investigations will be done
The third case occurred on May tenth when Punta Gorda resident, Rasheed Elijio was shot and killed by Police as he allegedly attempted to escape custody. That officer-involved shooting and [...]

Cab Driver was murdered
The police department has confirmed that a cab driver who went missing on the job has been murdered. Forty Five year old Jose Maria Aguilar Umana disappeared on July seventeenth. [...]

55 year old incarcerated for sexual crime upon a girl
Fifty-year-old Charles Bucknor, a carpenter of a Belize City address, remains tonight on lockdown at the Belize Central Prison after being denied bail for committing the crime of aggravated assault [...]

What’s that smell? Marijuana in inmate’s tennis, of course
Twenty-year-old Trevor Jones, an inmate at the Belize Central Prison, will have to spend a longer prison term and pay a hefty fine. Jones has been sentenced to an additional [...]

Palmar Villager charged with carnal knowledge in dump site
A thirty-one-year-old resident of Palmar Village in the Orange Walk District is tonight in police custody following a report made by a minor that the two engaged in sexual intercourse [...]

Challenges and opportunities in education sector
This week, we have been focusing on a recent report commissioned by the Inter-American Development Bank which shows that despite the high level of spending from the public purse, the [...]

Belizean students offered Mexican scholarships
Belizean students interested in pursuing tertiary level studies in Mexico are being given an opportunity to apply for all-expense-paid scholarships in a number of graduate and post-graduate programs.  A total [...]

The Chiquibul Symposium represents a fight for nationhood
There will be an important symposium in Belize City on Friday, and it’s all about the Chiquibul National Park. Friends of Conservation and Development, the N.G.O. charged with the monitoring [...]

GCCA’s Intra- African, Caribbean and Pacific countries climate change conference
A major climate change meeting opened today in San Ignacio. Experts participating are from African, Caribbean and Pacific countries considered to be the most vulnerable to climate change. The highly [...]

Climate change is a serious issue for Belize
The Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre popularly known by insiders as the Five C’s is housed in Belmopan.  Belize has a National Climate Change Coordinating Committee that was established by [...]

Can Belize host an international 3X3 basketball event?
Sport Development Manager for FIBA Americas, Nestor Rodriguez, recently concluded a successful visit to Belize. The purpose of the visit was to assess whether Belize is a viable location to [...]

The next Superstar is here!
By all accounts Group B in Be the Next Superstar brought their A act to the Bliss stage on Wednesday night. The spotlight was on eight performers; three who battled [...]

Healthy Living drinks to prevent urinary tract infection
There is a very common infection that affects men, women and children who don’t drink enough water. Persons who use the bathroom frequently are also at risk. The infection, Urinary [...]

LOVE FM

Family in Southern Belize Mourns Drowning of Loved One
A drowning incident has been reported in the Toledo District. Correspondent Paul Mahung reports. PAUL MAHUNG “Police reports here confirm that a fisherman of Barranco Village, 24-year-old, Jose Antonio Medina left home at about 4am on Wednesday, July 17 in his dory to ha...

International Bank Assesses Education in Belize; MOE Says Their on Top of Their Game
A little over two months ago, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) released a report on the, ‘challenges and opportunities in the education sector in Belize.’ In that report, several factors were listed as an issue in Belize’s education system. Love News spoke w...

Accused Burglar Gets Remanded
Twenty-eight year old John Burke, an unemployed who allegedly broke into the house of Reginald Welch and stole household items amounting to $11,590.00 was charged with burglary and handling stolen goods when he appeared in court today. Burke pled not guilty to the charges. The prosecutor ob...

Six Years for Attempting to Smuggle Cannabis In Prison
Twenty year old Trevor Jones, an inmate at Belize Central Prison, was sentenced to 12 years today by Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser after he pled guilty to two counts of drug trafficking. Jones was sentenced to three years and was fined $10,000 for each count. He was given until October 31 to pa...

Youth Movement Calls on Government to Invest in Sports in Belize
The Nation Builders national youth arm has commended the Belize Jaguars National Football Team on their participation in the 2013 Gold Cup. In a press release, the group states that although the journey was short-lived, it proves that we are a resilient people and have the capacity to compe...

Global Climate Change Summit In Belize
Belize is hosting a Global Climate Change Summit. The event is taking place in San Ignacio. Reporter Hipolito Novelo has the story. HIPOLITO NOVELO REPORTING “The Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre, the CCCCC is hosting the first ever ACP Global Climate Change All...

Post Mortem Conducted on Taxi Driver From Belmopan
A post mortem conducted on the body of 45-year-old taxi driver Jose Maria Umana Aguilar certified the cause of death as traumatic shock due to head trauma as a consequence of a blunt instrument. As we reported Umana had been reported missing by his common law wife after she could not get in...

IMF Says Belize Economic Performance Is Strong But Advises on Further Strengthening
The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) concluded its 2013 Article 4 Consultation with Belize and released its findings on Tuesday, July 16. In the report, the IMF’s Executive Board congratulated the authorities on Belize’s strong economic performance last y...

Ground Breaks for Tilapia Hatchery in Western Belize
On Wednesday ground was broken for the building of a Tilapia Hatchery Center in Central Farm. Correspondent Elaine Berry was there and has the story. ELAINE BERRY “A ground breaking ceremony for the construction of a modern Tilapia Hatchery Centre Aquaculture Project was held ...

Man Remanded For His Own Safety After Allegedly Assaulting Minor
Fifty year old Charles Bucknor, a carpenter of Vernon Street who allegedly committed a sexual assault on a 12 year old girl, was denied bail when he was charged with aggravated assault today. Bucknor pled not guilty to the charge. The prosecutor objected to bail on the grounds that additional...

CTV3

BSI Contract Workers Vote In Favour Of Forming Part of BWU
In its peak years, the Belize Worker’s Union, formerly known as the General Workers Union, had approximately 400 members but over the years the numbers have shrunk. That is because, according to the President of the BWU, Ramiro Gongora, the Belize Sugar Industries Limited as the employer has either fired or changed the terms of employment of some workers who were part of the union. In efforts of...

Thirty One Year Old Accused of Having Sex With Minor At Dump Site
A 31 year old Orange Walk man is in trouble with the police after a teenage girl accused him of having sexual intercourse with her. The 15 year old student reported to police that on January 31 of this year, she and her boyfriend went to a dump site located on the San Lorenzo Road in Orange Walk where they engaged in sexual intercourse. A medical examination has certified that the 15 year old is carnally known. The man, who is a resident of Palmar village is in police custody pending a charge of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

Jaguars Dissatisfied With Coach Mork's Performance
While team Belize was in the U.S taking part in the Gold Cup, playing their hearts out, Belizeans here at home and abroad cheered them on. Everything seemed to be fine and dandy, but that was far from the truth because, behind the scenes there was trouble as not all of the players were satisfied with the way Coach Ian Mork led the team during the three games played in the Gold Cup. Yesterday, as we brought to you some of the player’s reactions toward Coach Mork and his style of leading the football team, it was obvious that there were mix emotions, emotions which some of the Jaguars did not care to conceal. Tonight we bring to you the sentiments of some of the team’s best players including Harrison Roches and Lennox Castillo who were benched by Coach Mork for two and three of the games respectively. Harrison Roches "I don't really feel contented with the coaching staff because I believe it was a big abstract that they did on my part. I don't know what kind of personal thing he had with me, to not even include 'Criminal' because he's my family and he took that part with me and not get a chance to play just because he was around me - I don't know what kind of personal thing that was; that's the part I feel frustrated with."

#468528 - 07/19/13 11:53 AM Re: Today's Belize News: July 19, 2013 [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

More News: Scroll up from here

PlusTV

Police report progress after missing taxi driver’s body is found
The body of taxi man Jose Marin Umana was found late yesterday evening on a dirt road just off the George Price Blvd near to the Belmopan municipal airstrip. The family had been searching for the 43 year old taxi man who had gone missing since Saturday July 13th. ...

Minister updates on Mediterranean Fruit Flies
On Monday we told you about a 24-hour quarantine checkpoint which was placed on the southern highway after Mediterranean fruit flies were detected at various points in the Toledo District, Mango Creek and along the Placencia Peninsula. The Mediterranean Fruit Fly, also known as Ceratitis Capitata, is considered as...

Inmate gets six years for drug trafficking in prison
A Prison inmate was today sentenced to six years imprisonment and slapped with two huge $10,000 fines after he pleaded guilty to two counts of drug trafficking inside the Belize Kolbe Foundation. He is 20-year-old Trevor Jones, an inmate at Kolbe Foundation. This evening, Jones appeared before the Senior...

Tilapia Hatchery Center to be built in Central Farm
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Agriculture in collaboration with the Taiwan Technical Mission hosted a ground breaking ceremony for the building of a Tilapia Hatchery Center in Central Farm yesterday. It is a part of the Aquaculture Project that is being implemented in the development of the tilapia...

Citco and BWC reach initial debt settlement agreement
The Belize City Council and Belize Waste Control have reached initial agreement of a settlement of a debt exceeding 2.3 million dollars which was the subject of a court judgment last April. Attorney for Belize Waste Control Fred Lumor gives details. Fred Lumor – Attorney for Belize Waste Control:...

Alleged gang members appear in court
26 year-old Kareem “Robbery” Lopez, a reputed member of the George Street Gang, was deported from the US for illegal entry. Once in Belize, Lopez needed to report to police as a deportee. On Tuesday, the GSU detained Lopez after he repeatedly failed to report...

Under 13 football team seek financial assistance for tour
Youth With A Mission’s Under 16 football team recently returned from games in Merida, Mexico. The team is coached by Pastor Santi Valencia who, along with his Under Fifteen National Football team returned from Santo Domingo last November with the countries first gold medal in...

The Guardian

Another Gay Challenge
The Government of Belize is once again preparing itself to defend a local law which is being challenged by a homosexual man. On Wednesday, July 17th, the Caribbean Court of Justice was empanelled to do case management following a legal action by a homosexual man and lawyer from Jamaica, Maurice Arnold Tomlinson, who is seeking Special Leave to invoke the original jurisdiction of the Caribbean Court of Justice. The case management has set November 12th as the date for the application to be heard. Tomlinson is seeking to invoke the original jurisdiction of the Caribbean Court of Justice which in essence is to interpret the Treaty of Chaguaramas*. Under the Treaty of Chaguaramas, however, only member countries can invoke the original jurisdiction, hence, Tomlinson's request for Special Leave. There must be a differentiation made between the original jurisdiction of the CCJ since a revision to the Treaty of Chaguaramas has given the court the authority to act as an appellate court replacing the Privy Council as the final appellate court for Belize, Barbados and Guayana. If Tomlinson, who is also an LGBT activist, is successful in his leave application, he will be seeking that the court rule against Section 5 of the Immigration Act of Belize. That section reads: “Subject to section 2(3) the following persons are prohibited immigrants-

IMF impressed with Belize’s Economic Performance
Belize continues to receive praises for its debt restructuring exercise and impressive economic performance in 2012. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) says the completion of the exchange of the Super Bond for new United States denominated bonds has brought “substantial cash-flow relief” to Belize, according to the Trinidad and Tobago Guardian. The IMF says that the new bond has resulted in a cash flow relief of US$130 million over the next five years. In 2011, Belize’s economy was severely injured by weather related damages in commodity exports but 2012 saw a strong rebound as the output growth for Belize was estimated at 5.3 per cent in 2012. The IMF is optimistic about the health of the economy because the “international reserve coverage is estimated at 3.4 months of imports up from three months in 2011, thanks in part to strong foreign direct investment inflows in the sugar sector”. Another reason for optimism is the public debt is expected to decline to about 75 per cent of GDP at end-2013 which is due to the net face value haircut of three per cent from the recent debt restructure exercise.

Medfly Alarm down South
The Belize Agricultural Health Authority (BAHA) has implemented a quarantine for the southern part of the country south of Silk Grass Village. According to Hernan Zetina, Medfly coordinator with BAHA, the quarantine for fruits and vegetables became necessary after an unusually high number of Medflies were detected in Mango Creek, Placencia and Punta Gorda. On a yearly basis, Zetina says that every year between 5 and 12 Medflies are detected in the country but these are quickly placed under control. The Mediterranean Fruitfly (Medfly) is and economically devastating agricultural pest that attacks over 300 tropical fruits. This year, BAHA's surveillance program detected 51 flies which is an unusual amount. The most recent detection was on Monday, July 15th on the Placencia Peninsula. Last week alone 18 flies were detected. According to Zetina, since the flies were detected, preventative measures have been put in place to ensure that the fly does not propagate. These measures include the spraying of fruit trees as well as stripping them and destroying the fruits. The Medfly is a plague that is well established in neighboring Guatemala and Honduras and Zetina says the introduction of the fly into Belize most likely came as a result of persons bringing in fresh fruits and vegetables from these neighboring countries.

Imagine
Several years ago the women of Iceland, fed up with being taken for granted and having their hopes and fears trivialised, decided to illustrate their importance to their families and communities by going on a one-day strike. On October 24, 1975, 90% of Icelandic women refused to cook, clean, look after children, go to work and have sex. (They made their point but even now, thirty years later, Icelandic women’s pay still stands at only 65% that of men, so the work is not completed.) What if the LGBT community in Belize and Worldwide, reacting against the hate speech currently filling the media and the churches, just decided to disappear? Obviously, that will not happen since many of the LGBT community do not make their identity public because of fear of stigma and discrimination and still others are so conflicted and in denial that they are amongst the most vicious of the haters. However, the effects of such an event can be imagined. But first, a true story. An elderly woman, Rose, answers the door to Julie, her friend of 60 years. Rose helps Julie, who is in tears and too distraught to speak, into the house and, after offering a glass of water anxiously asks what is wrong. Julie wails that it is her grandson, Paul. “Oh no!,” exclaims Rose, assuming that he must be ill or injured. “How bad is it?” Julie takes a sip of water and declares, “It’s terrible. I can’t believe it. Paul has admitted that he is gay.” She looks to her friend for sympathy and comfort but instead Rose is exasperated and scolds Julie for being so melodramatic. She reminds Julie that Paul is the most caring and loving of all her grandchildren and that being gay is an integral part of who he is. Whether because of these stern words from her friend or just upon more sober reflection Julie comes to terms with Paul’s announcement. Two years later Paul was at her bedside when she passed away and he delivered the eulogy at her funeral.

What's Hot What's Not - BAN ITTT?!!!!!!! NO MORE DAGGERING!!
?When the lover come down on yuh?…? get ready for the daggering?… ?bend over, bend over back way ?..?make yuh body jump jump? Yes, in my neighborhood instead of being cheered by children singing “building up the temple” or singing the famous Barney “I love you ” song, I instead hear the voices of the three to five-year-olds singing to the top of their lungs dirty, vulgar songs on a Tuesday night after the news. “Cute? Look how they look dancing! Bubbling, doing 6:30, jiggle it, kotch gyal , pum pum tun up, daggering, wuk a gyal.” Ask them to spell their names! Or ask them to say their multiplication tables. They then become shy, then and only then has the cat gotten their tongues. OPEN YOUR EYES !!!!!! MUSIC LYRICS HAVE CHANGED! I think we have forgotten what music is now and how much power it has in making or breaking us. Most people listen to music to relax, as a form recreational activity to get out of there reality. To many, music describes the emotional state they are in. Music in all is not bad. Christian music and good lyrical music does exist. Do not get me wrong.

Before a Fall
Before I say anything, let me state for the record that I hold deep respect for every individual’s constitutional right to belong to any organization they please, including any political party. I also believe that the Opposition has an inherent responsibility to be very effective in presenting the best candidates and for being the check and balance of the Government in office. I hold this view since the party I sympathize with has been the opposing party in the past and will do so again sometime in the future. I do not wish for that to happen, but it’s really not only up to me now, is it? That said, let us talk politics by introducing the latest development. The announcement by Andrews from Rise and Shine that he is going to offer himself as a PUP candidate in the upcoming PUP convention for Belmopan came as no surprise to me. Probably, there is a plus for his decision since on the said talk show, Andrews was becoming more and more emotional and disrespectful with each passing day, and he would have ended up facing many more lawsuits because of his bravado. So he will, in the end, save some money and time since he will have less court appearances.

US upgrades Belize’s Capacity to Track Migration
Belize launched its Personal Identification and Registration System during a ceremony at the Phillip Goldson International Airport on Friday, July 12th. Hon. Godwin Hulse, Minister of Immigration, immigration officials and representatives of the United States Government were present to witness Belize’s move towards 21st Century border management. Hon. Godwin Hulse said, “When I walked in to see the hardware that we have established - lovely booths, etc. - I felt like I was entering Miami.”

A Small Idea with Huge Potential
Summer is here and school is out. This is a time when schools carry out beautification exercises as kids are out of the way so to speak. Some schools can do more than others depending on their resources and this is why UDP Fort George Caretaker, Roger Espejo tries to match small employment opportunities for at risk youth in the area.

Baby Bol died from Congenital Heart Defect
Lawrence Bol and Elvira Ack were due to have their first child on August 18th of this year. Unfortunately, the couple from San Antonio, Toledo had to rush to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital where on Friday, July 12th, Ack gave birth to a baby girl. The baby was born five weeks premature but the couple was happy because she was born alive. However, on Sunday the couple received the devastating news that their baby had passed away. They were traumatized by the news and struggled to make sense of it. A very emotional Bol said, “My baby was healthy; she was good. I come home and when I gone back on Sunday I find she dead.” A post-mortem examination was conducted by Pathologist, Dr. Hugh Sanchez, on Tuesday, July 16th, which revealed that the premature infant had a “latent congenital abnormality of the heart which was incompatible with sustaining life”. The family is asking for support from the public to cover funeral and hospital expenses. Bol’s number is 626-0806.

Intra-ACP Climate Change Talks in Belize
The Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre (CCCCC) will host the first ever Intra-ACP Global Climate Change Alliance (GCCA) Programme (1) Regional Technical Meeting (RTM) and the Second Programme Steering Committee meeting this week (July 18 to 19) at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel, San Ignacio, Cayo District in Belize. The objective is to raise interest in this global programme; establish thematic working groups in order to enhance networking and communication and facilitate exchange of information and expertise within the GCCA Intra-ACP Programme. The outcomes of the RTM will benefit the discussions in the Second Programme Steering Committee meeting on 18 – 19 July 2013. The Second Programme Steering Committee meeting will focus on programme implementation in the ACP regions among other issues.

Central American Summit on Free Software held in Cayo
A Central American Summit on Free Software, the fifth of its kind in Central America, ended on July 14, 2013 at Sacred Heart Junior College in San Ignacio Town. The summit started last Friday and for three days there were discussions on a variety of computer software topics, centered mostly on how to get and use free software and yet remain competitive and productive.

Santa Elena Public Library refurbished
A Summer Camp at the Santa Elena Public Library in the Cayo District ended last Friday with a sports day for participants. The Santa Elena Library in the Cayo District opened its Summer Camp last Monday with a PowerPoint on endangered animals.

New Tilapia Hatchery Center in Central Farm
Hon. Gaspar Vega and H. E. David Wu at ground breaking ceremony On Wednesday, July 17th, His Excellency David Wu, Ambassador of Taiwan to Belize, joined Hon. Gaspar Vega, Minister of Natural Resources and Agriculture, in Central Farm to break ground on a project for the construction of a Tilapia Hatchery Center. The center is part of a US$2.5 million Aquaculture Project that is being financed by the Taiwan Technical Mission in an effort develop the tilapia industry of Belize.

WIN supports the National Gender Policy
The National Gender Policy is founded on principles outlined in the Belize Constitution and in International Conventions and Agreements signed and ratified by the Government of Belize. This National Gender Policy is a progressive development policy promoting human rights, gender equality and gender equity.

Extradition cases
On Friday, July 12th, Mark Sewell, a Belizean national of the Ladyville area appeared in the Supreme Court before Chief Justice, Kenneth Benjamin to have an extradition hearing against him commence. The matter had to be adjourned; however, as Sewell's attorney, Arthur Saldivar was a no show in court. Present in court, was attorney Magali Perdomo, representing the Attorney General's Ministry. According to Saldivar's letter to the court, he had a medical emergency that hindered him from being present. In his absence though, the Chief Justice had this to say, “If no attorney comes to court next week on behalf of Sewell, the case will be struck out.” The CJ also noted that the case is a matter of habeas corpus and should take precedence. He noted that he was not seeing urgency regarding the case coming from Sewell's attorneys, especially since Saldivar's client has been on remand for more than two years since an order for his extradition. The case was then adjourned for August 1, 2013.

Illegally trying to obtain Birth Papers
On Monday, July 15th, Guatemalan national, Bianca Yesenia Villatoro-Magana, 22, was arraigned in Magistrate’s Court in Belize City where she was read a single charge of using a document she is not entitled to. She pleaded guilty to the charge when she appeared before Magistrate Clive Lino and was imposed a $1,000 fine, of which she was to pay $500 forthwith and the balance by September 15th. In default, she is to spend one year in prison. Magana was detained after Social Security authorities became suspicious of a birth certificate she was using in an attempt to get a Social Security card. It turns out that she was never issued one by the Vital Statistics Unit since she is not a Belizean. According to Immigration personnel, on Friday, July 12, 2013 at approximately 2:00 p.m., Immigration officer, Carlos Amaya acting upon information received, visited the Social Security Board office in Belize City where he was handed over a Hispanic woman identified as Bianca Yesenia Magana-Villatoro, a Guatemala national who was detained by Social Security officials on suspicions of a false birth certificate.

Failed to report to Police
On Wednesday, July 17th, 26-year-old Kareem Lopez, appeared in Magistrate's Court to answer to charges of failure to report to police as a deportee and changing his residence without prior notification to the Commissioner of Police. Lopez, who was deported from the United States of America in early January, appeared before Magistrate Clive Lino where he was read the two charges. Allegations are that between the periods of January 7, 2013 and July 12, 2013, Lopez having been deported from California, USA on January 7, 2013, was issued with a compliance letter which requires that he shall not change residence without prior notification to the Commissioner of Police and he failed to do so when he changed his address to the West Lake area. In court, Lopez who was unrepresented pleaded not guilty to both charges. Magistrate Lino offered him bail in the sum of $3,000 plus one surety of the same amount. He is to reappear in court on August 15th.

Guilty of chopping Man’s Fingers off
On Tuesday, July 16th, a jury of six men and three women found 55-year-old Hattieville Farmer, Romonio Garcia guilty of the use of deadly means of harm with intent to cause grievous harm for chopping off another man’s fingers. Back in 2011, Garcia had been originally charged with maim upon Alfredo Herrera but was later indicted for use of deadly means of harm. The chopping incident occurred on April 1, 2011 between Miles 12 and 13 on the George Price Highway. During the trial prosecutor, Kaysha Grant told the court on April 1, 2011, Herrera had gone to visit Garcia at his home. The two began to drink and at around 3:30p.m., Herrera made a comment about Garcia’s wife. As a result of this, Garcia grabbed a machete and attacked Herrera, chopping him and severing four of his fingers on his left hand and partially severing the fifth.

Acquitted of Murder
26-year-old Gabriel Salazar, a San Pedro resident, is a free man since Monday July 15th after he was acquitted of murder by Justice Denis S. Hanomansingh in the Dangriga Supreme Court. Salazar had been accused of the September 12th, 2009 murder of Francis Johnson at Johnson’s Store in Big Falls, Toledo District. Johnson was killed after being shot multiple times during an allege robbery that turned into murder. Three men were believed to have committed the robbery/murder but they were also believed to have fled the Belize Jurisdiction and ended up in Honduras. They were later allegedly involved in an armed robbery in Honduras and two of the three men were fatally shot and killed. Surviving incident was Salazar who would later return to Belize where he was charged for murder.

Judge to decide on Attempted Murder Case
Shawn Edwards will learn his fate on August 9th when Justice Troadio Gonzalez will rule on his case of attempted murder. In October of 2010, a bar in Belize City was held up in an attempted robbery and the bar owner was shot and injured. Also shot was one of two robbers, Shawn Edwards, who was later arrested by police. Edwards’ trial, which was conducted without a jury, began last week in the Supreme Court before Justice Troadio Gonzalez. At the beginning of the trial, Edwards indicated that he wanted to plead guilty to the charge of attempted murder but after the facts of the case were read to him, he disagreed with them and opted to proceed with the full trial. That case has now concluded and Justice Troadio Gonzalez has deferred his ruling on the case until August 9th when he will give his decision.

Threatened a Bowen & Bowen Employee
On Tuesday, July 16th Bangladesh businessman, Helal Miah, appeared in Magistate’s Court before Clive Lino where he was formally charged for common assault and use of threatening words upon a Bowen & Bowen employee. Miah, the owner of a dollar store in Belize City, does not speak English very well and was provided with a translator. He pleaded not guilty to the charges and was offered bail in the sum of $1,500.00 plus one surety of the same amount but his surety needed to be a Belizean. He met bail and was ordered to reappear in court at a later date. Allegations are that on July 4, 2013, he committed a common assault upon Kevin Garbutt. He was additionally charge with one count of using threatening words when he allegedly uttered obscenties to Garbutt. According to Miah, the salesman was over charging him and that led to an altercation when he spoke up for his rights.

Dara’s Fundraisers continue
Joel Dara Robinson will once again hold his annual Ride for Hunger on Saturday August 3rd and the Tribute to Lucky Dube on Sunday, August 4th. Dara visited our offices to explain that the ride, which is in its second year, is one of his main fundraising activities, which he conducts to be able to feed underprivileged children in primary schools. The ride will take off from Mile 2 1/2 on the Phillip Goldson Highway in front of the Smart building and will make its way to the Burrell Boom Road. From there, it will head to Hattieville village and return back to Belize City and end where it took off from. Dara says the ride is aimed at fundraising as well as raising awareness to the fact that there are children in primary school, who go hungry because their parents cannot afford to feed them. He is inviting everybody to attend the ride especially business houses and emphasizes that it is a ride and not a race and anyone can participate. This year, he says he will add music to accompany the ride to motivate riders to complete the course. Registration starts at 5 on Saturday, August 3rd and the ride gets off at 6:30 a.m. registration is $5.00

Summer Camp opens in Cayo
Police Officer Jason Jones explaining the ground rules at the Cayo Youth Empowerment Summer Camp 2013 The Annual Cayo Youth Empowerment Summer Camp 2013 began on Monday of this week and is ongoing at Sacred Heart College in San Ignacio Town. This camp will continue to July 26, 2013 and comes as a result of a unity of many social partners. These partners coming to the fore in assisting with the Cayo Summer Camp are the Police Department and the Ministries of Human Development, Education and Youth. Also assisting in this year’s events are the Belize Family Life Association, National Drug Abuse & Control Council, Pro-World Belize, Cornerstone Foundation and Help International. As is traditional for the Summer Camps, speakers will be coming in from the different agencies to discuss issues of importance to children. Snacks are being provided in the morning and afternoon as well as lunch at midday.

Gulisi Community Primary School holds summer camp
On July 12th, Gulisi Community Primary School, which is located in Dangriga, concluded a four-day summer workshop which was done in collaboration with JICA - the Japan International Cooperation Agency. JICA has provided NGC, which manages the school, with a volunteer for two years to assist with the teaching of math and science. At least 75 youths from Std. 1-6 came from all over Dangriga, Belize and the Diaspora to attend in the workshop. Over the four-day period, the youths participated in various activities in the areas of music, sports, science, drumming, Japanese dance and they also tie-died the T-shirts that they are wearing in these pictures! The General Manager of Gulisi Community Primary School, Mrs. Phyllis Cayetano, says that the collaboration with JICA worked beautifully since the school's curriculum follows an Intercultural Bilingual Education model. Hence, an appreciation for Garifuna and Japanese culture was prevalent during the entire four days of the workshop. NGC and Gulisi Primary School Management, staff and students want to express their deep appreciation to JICA for their collaboration and look forward to more activities like this in the future.

Belize failed to make it to the next round of Gold Cup play
The final day of the group C play in the on-going Gold Cup 2013 tournament took place on Tuesday, July 16, out at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Connecticut, USA, where both Belize and Cuba needed a 4 goals win margin to move onto the next round of play. Unfortunately for Team Belize, at the end of the game, it was not able to muster the much needed win against Cuba to advance to the next round of play. The Cuban team was hungry for the win and in the end it scored 4 goals against Belize to move onto the next round of play. Cuba’s Ariel Martinez completed a hat trick against Team Belize when he scored three of Cuba’s four goals to give them the win and the eighth and final place into the quarter final round of Gold Cup 2013.

Athletic Association to hold General Meeting
The Interim Committee of the Belize Athletic Association informs all of its members and prospective members that the General Assembly of the Association is scheduled for Wednesday, July 31, 2013, at the Edward P. Yorke High School commencing at 5:30 pm. Registration forms can be received from any of the National Sports Council offices throughout the country. The payment for registration must be done with the Sports Council in the respective district towns and in Belize City. In order to participate in the General Meeting and to vote for officers of the association, members must be 18 years an older and must have paid their membership dues in full.

Belize District Basketball Association Firms Competition to open
The Belize District Basketball Association 2013 Firms Competition is scheduled to commence on Friday, July 19 at the Bird’s Isle in Belize City. This year’s competition will attract some 13 teams in the regular season. The teams are divided into two divisions. The teams that will participate in this year’s competition are Ready Call Centre, Belize Bank Ltd/Broadway, Port of Belize Ltd., Bowen & Bowen Ltd., Belize Water Service Ltd., Heritage Bank/Ministry of Transport, Public Utilities Commission/Central Building Authority/Belize Fisheries Dept., BTL., Belize City Council/Belize Post Office, Courts, Central Health Region and Customs & Excise Department. There are three games on the schedule for this Friday night at Bird’s Isle. In the first game at 7:00 pm, Ready Call Centre will go up against Belize Bank Ltd, followed by Port of Belize against Bowen & Bowen and in the final game of the evening, Belize Water Services will do battle with Atlantic Bank. The competition will then continue on Friday, July 26 with three more games on the schedule.

Tyson Gay admits to Positive Test
American 100-meter record holder Tyson Gay, who had promoted himself as a clean athlete, tested positive for a banned substance and said he will pull out of the world championships next month in Moscow. Gay wouldn’t reveal the substance in a phone conversation from Amsterdam on Sunday, but he said he was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency late last week that a sample came back positive from a May 16 out-of-competition test. He said he will have his “B” sample tested soon, possibly as early as this week. “I don’t have a sabotage story. I don’t have any lies. I don’t have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake or it was on USADA’s hands, someone playing games,” said Gay, who fought back sobs as he spoke. “I don’t have any of those stories. I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down.” Asked who that person was, Gay replied: “I can’t really say it. Sometimes a human being naturally, generally trusts somebody. That’s what people do.”

Asafa Powell among Jamaicans tested Positive
Reports stated that former world record holder Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson are among the five athletes, who returned the adverse findings following tests conducted at the Jamaica National Track and Field Championships. The Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO) has confirmed that five Jamaican athletes have tested positive for banned substances. JADCO’s Chairman, Dr. Herb Elliott said that he has received reports of adverse analytical findings from “A” samples for the athletes but declined to disclose further information. “The process of the result management has commenced in accordance with the JADCO Anti-doping rules” Dr. Elliott told RJR Sports. “We cannot disclose any further information until the athletes have responded to notification of the ‘A’ sample”, he added.

Vega’s Cup Tournament opens July 28
The organisers of the Vega’s Cup Tournament is pleased to inform the public that the 2013 competition is scheduled to commence on Sunday, July 28 with its marathon at the Trial Farm Football field. According to the organisers, all interested teams must register by Friday, July 26, 2013 as only teams that are registered will be allowed to play in the marathon and the tournament. The 2013 Vega’s Cup Tournament champions will receive $3,000.00 in cash, team trophy and individual awards. The tournament is sponsored by the Deputy Prime Minister of Belize Hon. Gaspar Vega.

Moen Stars lead in Belize City volleyball Competition
The Belize City Volleyball Competition continued at the Belize Elementary School Auditorium on Saturday, July 13 and on Sunday July 14 with a number of games on the schedule. On Sunday, July 14, 2013, in the first of two female games played, Moen Stars defeated Lady Jaguars by the score of 25-21, 21-25, 25-21 and 25-18. In the second game it was Lady Warriors winning over U16 Females in three sets by the score of 25-16, 25-23 and 25-13. On Saturday, July 13, in the first female game played, Lady Jaguars defeated Lady Warriors by the score of 25-15, 25-9 and 25-20. In game two, Moen Stars won handily over U16 Females by the score of 25-16, 25-2 and 25-16. In the firms competition game, Belize Bank defeated Scotia Bank in three sets by the score of 25-11, 22-25 and 15-11.

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Summer Karate Program
Kids ages 3 and up. Mon - Tues - Wed 3:00-4:00, Community Center, 6021772. Female Self Defense Class, Mon - Tues- Wed , 5:00-6:00, 6:00-7:00, Community Center

Blogs

Bittersweet BIG moving sale
Some people start off in Mexico and end up moving to Belize, I know others that have started in Belize and move to Mexico which is what the Kumar’s are doing and why they are having a Bittersweet Big moving sale. The title of Carolyn’s email was Bittersweet and I totally agree with that, Surendra, Carolyn and Nina will be missed by many on the island. On a positive note, we can now pop over to Tulum and visit the Kumars on our way to visiting all friends in Paya Del Carmen. If you have it on your mind to move to Belize and you are not a second hand shopper, you might want to reconsider. Moving and yard sales are 2 great ways to shop, we have scored some good stuff over the years that other people were letting go of for what ever reason. Since their new condo is completely furnished,they are selling off what they acquired while here, all the new condition furniture, appliances, drapes, housewares, and the Polaris. I have been to their house and not only to thet have great taste, they take very good care of their things. If you are interested in anything on the list below, contact Surendra or Carolyn by phone is 631-2272 or by email fabkumars[at]gmail.com

Tickets Sell Out in Record Time at July’s SAGA Summer Salad “Cook” Off!
There was a fantastic turnout last night for the SAGA Humane Society’s monthly fundraising cook-off. All 65 $10bzd tickets for the tastings sold out in under 15 minutes but those a bit late were more than happy to donate in others ways. Cute t-shirts were for sale (all proceeds goes to the Humane Society)… It’s HIP TO SNIP! (Ellie and her husband…a pretty handsome couple…) A raffle of donated prizes was well underway…(did you know that just one ticket will buy a cat or dog food for the day?) Here are Faith and Julie selling tickets. Hard to say no… (Thanks SO much to the generous sponsor restaurants who donated gift cards: MELT, Waraguma and El Divino.) …and the our generous host, Wet Willy’s Smokehouse, was jumping.

Why I want to be an Eco-Kid
I want to be an eco-kid because I want to save the environment and our earth. The earth is dying, people are dying and animals are dying. One day there is not going to be no gibnuts, toucans and tapirs if we don’t help. Wouldn’t you want your sons and daughters to one day see the national animal of Belize? The earth is being destroyed and you know who destroys it, man. We destroy all things, we are responsible for global warming, for poaching and for many others because man is selfish. I will quote a passage from a famous Sioux Indian poem, “how can you buy or sell the sky, every part of this land is sacred to my people every shining pine needle is sacred every sandy shore every mist in the dark woods every clearing and humming insect is holy to me…” Chief Seattle. This is trying to say God gives the earth to us; it should be treasured and protected. Just imagine a world, a barren wasteland imagine a place where a forest used to be, gone forever all you see is desolation. Man with pesticides is destroying the soil the water and the wonderful forest God gave us.

Three Thoughts on Project Belize
1. The people of PwC really are helping the people of Belize. I know that should be obvious, but it’s not always the case with opportunities like this (service trips, mission trips, NGO partnerships, etc). Irma Vernon, a Belizean teacher, and my co-facilitator during the week, was inspired with the curriculum noting “with these materials we can develop ourselves as individuals, and our country as a nation." I was skeptical heading down to Belize. Are we going to ‘save’ people with financial literacy? Will we be artificially injecting time and money into the country, messing up the established order? Keep in mind — we take over Belize City’s largest hotel for two weeks, employ private security, rent private buses to transport us all over, and order several hundred lunches each day to be delivered all over the city. One can only imagine ‘winning’ the PwC contract is like realizing you’re the only person in town with a working generator when the electricity is shut off. But I found a firm that was very aware of its surroundings. Mindful of its own presence. And perhaps most importantly — understanding of Belizean people and culture. The teachers and principals that I interacted with this week crave the lessons in budgeting, savings, and paying it forward that we offer. Implementation was always in their own lives first, then their families, then their students, and finally with friends, neighbors, and in the greater community. The community stands to benefit greatly from the financial literacy curriculum and PwC’s presence in Belize City. The private security, transportation, and food provided to us each day was all local. I would guess there is a safer, faster, and healthier way to protect, move, and feed hundreds of people every day, using US based companies and staff. I don’t know all the ins and outs of our sourcing process, but it’s clear we shopped local. And I believe we as a firm are more authentic and on mission because of it. I’m saying this not just as a proud PwC employee but also through the toxic stench of Gen Y manufactured distrust towards giant entities like PwC. Full disclosure: I’m Gen Y.

International Sources

MELISSA BOLONA WAS A BIKINI MODEL SEARCH WINNER; HERE’S WHY
Remember Melissa Bolona? The Beach Bunny Swimwear model search winner? Well, here she is, getting to work on the beaches of Sanctuary Belize. You will notice as you watch that not only is Melissa Bolona a really good selection for the Beach Bunny Swimwear model search, but also that she is Belize with a couple of other Beach Bunny models. Namely, Nina Agdal and Irina Shayk (that’s them together below). Now I knew that Xenia Deli, Valerie van der Graaf, and Chrissy Teigen were Beach Bunny models, but I was not aware that Nina Agdal was as well. See? This video is not only sexy, it’s informative!!

Nicaragua, Honduras and Belize confirm participation at ILTM Americas
New resorts, ecotourism projects and historical properties from the Latin Riviera are significant new names on the guest list for this year’s ILTM Americas in Riviera Maya, Mayakoba, Mexico, September 30 – October 3, 2013 [ www.iltm.net/americas ]. Trailblazing properties from Nicaragua, Honduras and Belize are among those who have confirmed their participation in their first ILTM event; to meet with buyers from across the Americas and be part of next year’s travel plans for their high-net worth clients. Simon Mayle, ILTM Head of Marketing added: “Never before have such incredible new products from the latest hot destination of the Latin Riviera elected to gather in one place to show the world of luxury travel their defining offering. Their very ‘sense of place’ will enthrall those invited to attend ILTM Americas: diverse cultures, captivating indigenous markets, spectacular wildlife, smoking volcanoes, serene lakes, steamy jungles, and idyllic white sand beaches. Standing alongside the many global brands also taking part, ILTM Americas is proving to be un-missable for discerning new luxury travel buyers from the Americas to be able to plan their client’s itineraries for 2014 and beyond.”

RSO CATHALAC develops forest cover map of Belize
UN-SPIDER's Regional Support Office CATHALAC (Water Center for the Humid Tropics of Latin America and the Caribbean) has just developed the first version of a 2012 forest cover map of Belize. This research was carried out in collaboration with the Ministry of Forestry, Fisheries, and Sustainable Development of the Government of Belize, Lancaster University of the UK and the Environmental Research Institute of the University of Belize. The work – now pending field validation – was developed using NASA Landsat-7 imagery, and follows on the heels of an earlier 2010 USAID- and NASA-supported study assessing changes in forest cover in Belize over the period of 1980-2010. The current study indicates that Belize's forest cover declined from 62.8% in early 2010 to approximately 61.6% in early 2012. A technical report detailing the assessment's methodology and major findings will be released shortly.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (Pokey, Marty, CaptOneIron, 2 invisible), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.