Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#46907 - 01/08/02 07:01 AM Wedding, etc. in AC - HELP!
BenzaiOhio Offline
Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the informative posts...even the ones that are a little commercial have offered some nice links. After reading through the group, we still have some questions.

We are seriously considering coming to AC for our "Weddingmoon" April 20-28. We have some things to consider that will determine if we travel there and any advice would be most welcome.

1) Accomodations: We are considering more bungalow/cabana type lodging options, such as CM, Ramons, Portofino, etc. What do you recommend? We are bringing our parents with us, so need something nice, but fun. Money isn't really an option if its worth it.

2) Diving: We are going to get our Open Water Referral Certification while we are there. Who do you recommend and why?

3) What about pica-pica? Is it for real? Should we worry about being red-faced, itching and broken out in our wedding photos?

4) I've read about a couple of different wedding planners. Is it better to try one of them or go with a resort planner? Who might you recommend?

5) The parental units don't dive, and are in their late 50's...what resort location offers them the most to do? Or does it matter? The menfolk love to fish and the womenfolk to sun/read/shop and explore.

6) Are there any downsides to AC that I'm not finding on any websites or travelbooks that you would know about?

Thanks for any and all responses. We really appreciate it!!

Ben and Corie

#46908 - 01/08/02 03:04 PM Re: Wedding, etc. in AC - HELP!
Nicki Offline
I can answer a few of your questions. I would highly recommend staying at Victoria House. They have cabanas along with regular hotel rooms, so you have a choice for your group. We got married there last May. They are wonderful there and it is really beautiful. Also, if you need a place that is accessible to a variety of activities you definitely don't want to stay north of the cut. Victoria House is secluded, yet you can hop on a golf cart and get to town in no time at all.

Pica pica: We heard lots about it before heading down but never had a problem with it. We were there in the middle of May when it is supposed to be bad. I have heard if you keep sunscreen on, it will keep them away. That seemed to work for all 14 of us.

Wedding coordinator: We used Iraida and I would highly recommend her. I did not have to worry about a single thing, she took care of it all. She is a wonderful person and terrific wedding planner. Her website is www.belizeweddings.com.

I hope this helps!

#46909 - 01/08/02 03:09 PM Re: Wedding, etc. in AC - HELP!
DOROTHY Offline
AC IS LOVELY. IF YOUR PARENTS ARE OCMING WITH YOU YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER STAYING CLOSER TO TOWN THAN POROFONO. YOU HAVE TO TAKE A BOAT BACK AND FORTH AND I AM NOT SURE HOW LATE OR HOW OFTEN IT RUNS. THEY COULD ANSWER THAT FOR YOU. RAMONS IS VERY CLOSE TO TOWN. HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT VICTORIA HOUSE? IT IS NEAR TOWN BUT NOT RIGHT IN TOWN AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL. AS FAR AS DIVE CERTIFICATION I HAVE HEARD ALOT OF GOOD THINGS ABOUT GAZ COOPER AND ALSO AMIGOS. GOOD LUCK. THE PICA PICA IS REAL BUT I AM NOT SURE WHAT TIME OF YEAR IT IS AT ITS PEAK. I HAVEN'T TURNED RED FACE IN A YEAR OF BEING HERE EXCEPT FOR ONE INSTANCE WHEN I WAS TALKING AND WRPPED MY LEGS AROUND A POST AT A DOCK. THEN I BROKE OUT ON MY LEGS BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THAT WAS PICA PICA OR NOT. ENJOY AC!!

#46910 - 01/08/02 03:23 PM Re: Wedding, etc. in AC - HELP!
bromista Offline
Congradulations on your upcoming wedding! I too am going to be married on Ambergris Caye in April. We were down there the end of 2000 and fell in love with the island. As far as a wedding planner, I would recommend deciding what hotel you want to stay at and contacting them. We first started working with Iradia and then found out if we worked directly with the hotel it was a lot cheaper. We will be staying at the Blue Tang Inn and being married on the beach in front of it at sunset. Then there will be a beach BBQ to follow. Rocio is organinzing it for us and has been wonderful!

As far as which resort location offers the most to do, I think that is does not matter where you stay. It is very easy to arrange day trips, diving or fishing either from the hotel desk, or walking along the beach and popping into the dive shop or travel operator huts.

Have you looked at the lodgings page of the website? We found this very helpful. I would think that you would not want to be north of the cut expecially if you plan on going into town a lot. Something to consider, not all places have pools or TV. I know that for my fiance a TV is a must. He likes to relax for an hour or so after diving by lying on the bed and watching TV.

Good Luck!

#46911 - 01/08/02 06:31 PM Re: Wedding, etc. in AC - HELP!
CHOOCHOO Offline
Ben,

Victoria House for all and a golf cart rental for the parents would be pretty much a total package. I'd print out Marty's post, a few up or back, under "fishing" and use that as a guide for the "older menfolk" (with whom I identify). It is about as good a guide to good fishing connections in SP as I have seen. In ten years we've never had a pica pica attack, but there could be something charming about a "blotchy-red faced" bride.

Several of the energetic lassies on the board will be able to give great guidance (from recent experience) as far as that wedding in San Pedro thing goes.

#46912 - 01/08/02 11:31 PM Re: Wedding, etc. in AC - HELP!
BelizeWed Offline
Just a warning about Portofino... When I was there in Nov. I met a couple who were supposed to be staying at Portofino but when they got there, it wasn't even open and didn't have the accomodations that they were advertising. You might want to ask others if they've stayed there. The couple I met ended up staying at Journey's End and enjoyed it but they warned us about Portofino. I guess there was some dispute with the owners or something. This is second hand knowledge but worth thinking about.

#46913 - 01/09/02 01:14 AM Re: Wedding, etc. in AC - HELP!
Turnbun Offline
Hi! I was married on AC in Sept. It was a wonderful experience, and I highly recommend it!! We stayed at SunDiver Beach Resort and really liked it. However, the parentals didn't like having to take a boat into town. We also had 16 other guests with us. Victoria House does sound like a good place for you to stay. Captain Morgans is near SunDiver and would require a boat trip into town.
Iraida was GREAT! She took care of everything. It was so stress free. And when I lost our marriage license, she was great about obtaining a certified copy of it for me very quickly! Good customer service. Several hotels have wedding packages as well.
As for diving, we used Hustler Tours, and my husband really thought they were great (I didn't dive with them, just snorkeled and went on the catamaran - SO FUN!).
We had no problem with pica pica while we were there, but I got stung a bunch by jelly fish/pica pica while in Honduras a couple of Decembers ago, and it was quite painful! Cortizone cream helped a bunch.
I highly recommend AC for your wedding. I have not one thing I would change EXCEPT I would have stressed less about it before I got there.
Best wishes!
Jennifer
p.s. if money is no issue, you may want to check out Cayo Espanto for your honeymoon.

#46914 - 01/09/02 01:38 AM Re: Wedding, etc. in AC - HELP!
GRAFFICE Offline
HI THERE BENZ-I SEE YOUR FROM ELYRIA-WE LIVE IN NORWALK AND HEADING BACK FOR OUR SECOND TRIP IN FEB. FEEL FREE TO EMAIL WITH QUESTIONS DUANE AND BARB GRAFLINK@FROGNET.NET

#46915 - 01/09/02 02:24 AM Re: Wedding, etc. in AC - HELP!
BenzaiOhio Offline
Thank you everyone for all the wonderful replies so far! We really appreciate you taking the time.

If we could add another question or two

1) Has anyone stayed in the casitas at Victoria House? How did you find them? Were they nice, comfortable? What about their special honeymoon cabana on the beach?
Any word on their restaurants?

2) What restaurants would you recommend in town?

3) What the hell is a Bots Fly and are they on the island or just the mainland?

Thanks again for all your input!

p.s. for those of you who have posted about Dawn at Barefoot - thank you! She is a treat!

#46916 - 01/09/02 04:37 PM Re: Wedding, etc. in AC - HELP!
Nicki Offline
We stayed in the casita at Victoria House on our wedding night. I loved it! It was a little warm, but otherwise very comfortable. I didn't ever see the honeymoon cabana, so I can't comment on that. The casitas all look out at the ocean. They have really big showers and nice comfy beds. You won't be disappointed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Jameela01, Marty, 2 invisible), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,083 Topics
462,384 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.