Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46935 01/08/02 01:31 PM
C
cubfan Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Anyone know anything about Captain Morgans? We are arriving in Feb and were curious about reviews or upcoming "North End" activities!

#46936 01/08/02 03:11 PM
I've never stayed at Capt Morgan's but being in the business gave me access to much info. I've always found Capt Morgan's to be always appreciated. I stopped in a few times and always found the staff to be quite nice, and the property nice and clean. I really do think you will enjoy yourself. But remember above all else...you are in a 3rd world country and things should be viewed as such. You are not staying at a first rate US type resort. That goes for no matter where you would go in Belize. Go with an open mind and you will have a great vacation!

#46937 01/08/02 03:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
couldn't agree more. i stayed at the next resort north from there in '00.

at any place in a 3rd world country, keep an open mind. expect little and you will be pleasantly surprised. if you go expecting 5 star US standards, you will find yourself disappointed. make a point to talk to the people, it is their greatest asset.

#46938 01/08/02 04:05 PM
Well activities are what you make them in Belize. A lot of people go there expecting the resort to entertain them. It doesn't happen. No matter what any resort tells you. You are first of all going for a relaxing time, to gather your thoughts so to speak... to simply enjoy your surroundings. Don't stay at the resort all the time, go into town, take trips to the mayan ruins... go everywhere you can afford... just don't lay around waiting for something to happen... it won't... CM has a good tour shop, take advantage of their services.

#46939 01/08/02 04:23 PM
C
cubfan Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks! We are looking forward to "decompressing" for a day or two and then maybe a little fishing, little wandering. Was hoping CM's was a good place to plant for quiet and then "hopping off".......
Have done the 5star stuff, but looking for a hammock and a cool breeze.

#46940 01/08/02 08:29 PM
Denny knows much more about North Ambergris than I do, but I have to jump in and say that based on my experience editing or writing several guidesbooks on Belize and with Belize First Magazine, that Captain Morgan's -- like Denny's former employer Journey's End -- is one of those places that gets mixed reviews. Some like it; some don't.

There are some hotels in Belize, in all price ranges, that get almost universally good (or in a few cases bad) feedback, but Captain Morgan's is one that gets a mix of reports. Just use the search facility here on this board, and I think you'll get a sampling.

I think one reason is that this property has gone through a number of management changes over the years. It was run by a wholesaler and his son for awhile, then another group, then a couple from Belize City, who didn't last long, then there was another change or two. At one point the property was put up for sale, then it went into its condo development phase. It just doesn't have the consistency of management and mission of some of the best places on the island.

Personally, I've stayed there and enjoyed it, but on subsequent visits I haven't always gotten the impression the on-site management really was on top of things.

--Lan Sluder

Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst.com/
Fodor's Belize and Guatemala Guide
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
Adapter Kit: Belize
Fodor's UpClose Central America
Belize Book of Lists 2000
San Pedro Cool (coming soon)

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#46941 01/09/02 03:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
lan - you could have written the exact same thing on journey's end!

c - if ya are only looking for that hammock & peace & quiet, you should be just fine.

see my north end pics from 8/00 (pre-hurricane keith) at:
http://ambergriscaye,com/jane

#46942 01/09/02 04:49 PM
I agree 100% with Lan.... both places do get mixed reviews constantly. However, if you have made your reservations at CM, then go with the flow... these resorts are all what you make of them. There are people that absolutely love CM, while others expected quite different... I have seen some complete idiots in Belize that think they are going to Cancun or Cozumel. Belize is truly one of the last really beautiful, natural and unspoiled places left in the Caribbean. Go with the right attitude and you're gonna have a blast. Go with exceptionally high expectations and you will have a terrible time.

#46943 01/09/02 05:03 PM
I just re-read your posting Lan... While there have been management problems at the property... do you think the problem lies with the managers or the in-fighting, etc that has been going on here in the States with the owners, co-owners, etc?

[This message has been edited by Denny Shane (edited 01-09-2002).]

#46944 01/10/02 12:33 AM
HEY CUB FAN GIVE ME AN EMAIL AT [email protected] AND I'LL GIVE YOU THE REVIEW THAT I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO COPY FOR THE BOARD. IT IS MOSTLY WHAT YOU HAVE READ= SOME GREAT SOME BAD DUANE

YA CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.