Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Topic Options
#469482 - 08/03/13 12:07 PM Stockpiled seagrass
Marty Offline
CCVC is clearing all the stockpiled seagrass off the beach, anyone who needs some please visit the village council office. Note that we are not selling seagrass only giving it away!!!

#469493 - 08/03/13 01:14 PM Re: Stockpiled seagrass [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
GOOD - I found instructions on how to turn sea grass into fertilizer. Instructions called for filling a 50 gallon drum with sea grass; covering it with water and letting it sit for 2 months. Then you can take off 1 cup of liquid and add to 1 gallon of water and feed your plants.
I'm going to try it in a 5 gallon bucket.

#469561 - 08/04/13 06:01 PM Re: Stockpiled seagrass [Re: Marty]
Dane Offline
Salt in seagrass can kill your plants uness you wash it out first. We did this many times at the Nature Reserve.
This is hard to do so sometimes we got good results and sometimes we killed everything.
We stopped using it.

Edited by Dane (08/04/13 06:03 PM)

#469584 - 08/05/13 12:20 PM Re: Stockpiled seagrass [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
I understand that. Does the salt 'settle out' if it sits long enough?

I know that fresh water sits on top of salt water - does this happen to stored water?

#469587 - 08/05/13 12:32 PM Re: Stockpiled seagrass [Re: ScubaLdy]
Bear Offline
Salt water will not "settle out"; fresh and salt water will always seek to "homogenize" if you will.

#469605 - 08/05/13 06:47 PM Re: Stockpiled seagrass [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
ok - thanks

#469611 - 08/05/13 07:28 PM Re: Stockpiled seagrass [Re: Bear]
ragman Offline
Bear, your answer is both right and wrong. Salt water being denser will always settle out at the bottom and fresh water will float on it like many wells in San Pedro.

Now if you contain this water the salt water will eventually "homogenize". Stirring and heating the water will make this happen quicker.

Harriette, I'm not sure just how what I just said applies to your application so don't be mad at me if your plants die from using the sea grass. wink I don't want to get the finger when I drive by. laugh

ps It seems to me if the sea grass was arranged is such a way that the rain rinsed it or your container was emptied on occasion the fresh water would eventually rinse the salt out of the sea grass. The soaking in fresh water would help. A way to drain the water off the bottom would also help, so as not to reintroduce the salt to the sea grass. I'm kind of winging it here.

ps ps I'll be down soon, wouldn't it be easier if I brought you down some "Miracle Grow" for you? smile

Edited by ragman (08/05/13 10:32 PM)
Edit Reason: ps ps

#469658 - 08/06/13 12:33 PM Re: Stockpiled seagrass [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
Thanks Jim. Please do bring your lovely wife and Zeek and don't just wave but stop in.

I am trying to live as GREEN as possible and making use of all that Mother Nature is providing and fewer chemicals. Just wait until you see what all I am doing to incorporate this into my building.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 43 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day