Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#467779 07/07/13 04:03 PM
A
OP Offline
A
There is a group of 4 of us arriving on the island next weekend. We are renting a golf cart for the week and wanted to know how the rules there are for alcoholic beverages? For instance:

Can the passengers have a beer or alcoholic drink in hand while riding?

Can the driver have a drink as long as they are responsible?

Do the officers ever give breathalyzers to drivers?

I'm not talking about driving drunk or being dangerous by any means but just trying to get a feel for the local customs and be respectful. Thank you in advance for the help.

ajeagles6921. My advice to you is to remember that drink driving laws were made for good reason. To protect drivers, passengers and pedestrians. The laws in Belize make it an offence to drink drive and to drive while drinking. While you may be able to get away with it as a tourist in a foreign country, is that the sort of tourist you want to be?

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

K
K
ajeagle6921 ...starting next weekend the famous golf cart pub crawls and poker Derbies will now be by bicycle. wink

AJ - do you consider a golf cart full of drinkers driving along residential streets in the middle of the night yelling "YAHOO" responsible?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
A
OP Offline
A
Scubalady,
No I do not. Please explain how you get from my posting to your question. Again, I am not talking about getting drunk and driving, in the state I live in you can not have any type of open container in the vehicle, I was trying to figure out if that was the case in Belize.

Thank you to the person who replied via PM and gave some helpful information. Appreciate the advice.

Last edited by ajeagle6921; 07/12/13 08:11 PM.
S
S
A fair and interesting question. How is it treated on the island?

I'm sorry for my sarcasm - but if you spent a few nights here in our quiet little residential area only to beawakened way too often you may understand my lack of tolerance. I still do not understand why people do things on vacation that they would never do at home. OK - I do get it but don't understand it.

Thanks for thinking to ask questions. The answer is that the traffic police are cracking down. You are not to have your beer in a bottle on a golf cart. Paper or Styrofoam cups are to be used.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
That's good to hear, I would feel safer walking knowing that there's less drunk cart drivers out there.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.