Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#469883 - 08/09/13 11:22 AM Boat travelers to Chetumal question $25 fee
Marty Offline
Belize and Mexico has for so long maintained an exceptional relationship whereby Belizeans and Mexicans can easily travel from one country to the other for business, shopping, medical or recreational purposes. Chetumal, Quintana Roo, Mexico is the closest city to Belize and has long been a preferred destination for Belizeans. To facilitate that connection between Ambergris Caye/Caye Caulker and Chetumal City, two water taxis provide daily runs to Chetumal via boat. The service allows for easier access to Chetumal,eliminating the usual longer route. However, of recent residents of Ambergris Caye as well as visitors are claiming that a US$25 fee is being charged upon disembarkation at the Martine port of entry in Chetumal City. They also claim that a US$5 fee is being charged per bag upon exiting Chetumal.

The charge has taken many residents and frequent visitors by surprise, since in the past, there were no such fees. To shed light on the matter, The San Pedro Sun contacted Marcelino Miranda, Public Relations Officer at the Belize Mexican Embassy. Miranda sated that US$25 departure fee is in compliance with federal law which has been in place for years. He noted that in many instances it was not being implemented however, they are within the law to legal collect the US$25fee. The fee is known as the DNI (Derecho de No Inmigrante). “This fee is usually charged in the purchase of your airplane ticket, so many people don’t know about it. It is a fee that is charged in all points of entry and departure in Mexico,” said Miranda. When asked why the fee was not implemented before Miranda said, “I do not know why it was not implemented before, but it is a legal fee that is charged to every single person departing from Mexico via air or water.

Once the US$25 is charged, a receipt should be issued by Immigrations and Customs Department. The only travelers exempted from paying this fee are those travelling through land and not staying in the country more than seven days.”

The DNI is charged to tourists staying in Mexico more than seven consecutive day or transit travelers destined to a third country regardless of the time need for their transit. This includes those who enter Subteniente Lopez, Chetumal, by road and whose purpose is to board a flight in Cancun to travel to another country, as well as those arriving at Cancun and going to Belize, and holders of the border card FMVL (Forma Migratoria de Visitante Local) that remain more than three consecutive days in Mexico. Visitors who are exempt from paying the fee include visitors who enter Mexico, stay for seven days or less, and return to the country of origin, FMVL border card holders who stay less than 3 days, and FM3 and FM2 holders. The DNI fee can be paid to any bank in Mexico, airports in Mexico and at the point of entry between Belize and Mexico such as the Subteniente López Border. Proof of payment should be issued.

According to Miranda he is not aware of any baggage fee being charged on goods leaving the country, and he asks individuals with complaints to report the incident to the Mexican Embassy.He advises those required to pay the fee to visit a bank in advance of their departure and make the payment. For more information can contact the Mexican Embassy’s Consular Section at 223-0193 or 223-0194, Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm or write to consular@embamex.bz.

San Pedro Sun

#471075 - 08/26/13 08:49 PM Re: Boat travelers to Chetumal question $25 fee [Re: Marty]
beck Offline
Thanks for this post. However, I am now further confused! We were charged this fee a month ago when traveling to Bacalar for three days from the Cayes. I advised the man that I was told we did not have to pay it for a three day visit (we were returning to Belize on day three)but he still charged us the fee because "we came by boat." As such, I tried to use the email proivded, but it bounced, as I'd like to follow up on this further and I will try to call and report back in. Maybe I am mis-reading this, but it looks like those on quick trips to Chetumal should not be obligated to pay this fee.

#471076 - 08/26/13 09:37 PM Re: Boat travelers to Chetumal question $25 fee [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
As explained to me by Mexican authorities in Chetumal - those holding Belize passports are exempt from the less-than-3-day-stay fees, but those with other passports are not.
Can't vouch for the accuracy of any officials, but this is what they took great pains to explain to our mixed-passport visiting group.

#471096 - 08/27/13 11:09 AM Re: Boat travelers to Chetumal question $25 fee [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline
Mexico Federal Tax on travellers

Belizeans and others who travel to Mexico for business, shopping, medical or recreational purposes, by sea or air, must now pay a federal tax of US$25. For those traveling by air, the tax is to be added to the cost of their plane ticket. Those traveling into that country by land and who stay for 7 days or more must also pay this mandatory tax, which is known as the DNI (Derecho de No Immigrantes).

Marcelino Miranda, Public Relations Officer for the Mexican Embassy in Belize, told Belize media the federal law is not new, and has been in existence for some time but is only now being enforced.

The charge has caught many people and frequent travelers to Chetumal by surprise. Miranda told the Belize media that the USD $25 is a fee that is charged at all points of entry and departure in Mexico. In-transit travellers travelling to a third country, regardless of the time needed for their transit through Mexico, will also pay the fee. This includes those who enter Subteniente Lopez, Chetumal, by road and are travelling to Cancun to board a flight to travel to another country, as well as those arriving at Cancun and travelling to Belize. Miranda said that Belizeans and others who go into Chetumal for short periods are not charged.

The DNI fee can be paid to any bank or airport in Mexico and at the points of entry between Belize and Mexico such as the Subteniente Lopez Border. Proof of payment should be issued by the receiving office.

Editor’s Note: For those travelling from San Pedro Ambergris Caye to Chetumal by water taxi or boat brace yourselves to pay US$25 on entry and exit.

Courtesy: Corozal Daily (…Sometimes)

#471104 - 08/27/13 11:40 AM Re: Boat travelers to Chetumal question $25 fee [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
Please note the 7 days part - this confirms what the Mexican immigration official told me.
Most Belizeans are going up for a day or two of shopping enter by land and therefore would not be subject to this fee.
:-)

#471120 - 08/27/13 01:40 PM Re: Boat travelers to Chetumal question $25 fee [Re: Diane Campbell]
TravelBug1 Offline
HI Diane: I am contacting you from Colorado. A friend of yours in Montana told me how to reach you as my fiance' and I are coming to Belize in November to visit and would love to meet you. I am unable to send you a private message on the message board.
Sincerely,
TravelBug1

#471218 - 08/28/13 12:50 PM Re: Boat travelers to Chetumal question $25 fee [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
travelbug - click on my name above the icon - you will see a drop-down menu - hit the PM button - send me a message ..... I'll get it.
see you in Belize!

#472115 - 09/08/13 07:28 PM Re: Boat travelers to Chetumal question $25 fee [Re: Marty]
artisan Offline
Nevermind.

Edited by artisan (09/10/13 11:04 PM)

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,055 Topics
462,292 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.