Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Two injured in accident on board a GOB Polaris
The Polaris with yellow license plate SP E-0265 is issued to the Belize Agriculture Health Authority and is the property of the Agriculture Department through GOB. At the time of the accident, the Polaris was driven at the time by 30 year old Matias Cunil, an employee of BAHA attached to the San Pedro Branch and a resident of Succotz Village in the Cayo District. Also in Polaris cart was Mejia, Guerra and another unknown female. As a result of the incident, Mejia was rushed in her unconscious state to the Dr Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Poly Clinic II and was later airlifted to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. She received injuries to her face, mouth, teeth, left leg, and her left ear was severed. "According to the doctor, she is in a stable condition but will need reconstructive facial surgery," said Police. Guerra suffered a broken left hand and complained of chest pain. "We strongly believe alcohol consumption was a factor and urine samples were taken from the driver and sent to a forensic laboratory," said the Officer Commanding San Pedro Police Department, Superintendent Luis Castella�os. Late on Friday evening, Cunil was formally arrested and charged for driving a vehicle without due care and attention, driving motor vehicle with alcohol above the prescribed limit and two counts of negligent grievous harm caused on Mejia and Guerra.

Kimberly Kamish to replace Destinee Arnold at Miss United Continents Pageant
As of Tuesday, August 27th, queen of the Jewel Miss Belize, Destinee Arnold has withdrawn from representing Belize in the upcoming Miss United Continents Pageant scheduled for September 14th in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Her reason being that she wishes to further her education abroad. Destinee Arnold is no stranger to the world of pageantry, having won the title of Queen of the Jewel Miss Belize and represented Belize in the Miss International Pageant in Okinawa, Japan in 2012. She has also participated in the Miss Ethnic World pageant in Long Beach, California, where she won the title of Miss Ethnic World 2013. Her stunning beauty and personality won the hearts of many and when she represented Belize at the 2013 Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant she won over the judges as well. After seven long years of wait the Reina de la Costa Maya crown went to yet another proud Belizean. Her beauty and bubbly personality has ensured Destinee a bright future in whatever she challenges.

Twist me up! Thai Massage in San Pedro
Thai massage - my only recollection of a Thai massage was in 2006. It has certainly been a while since, so I absolutely had to march myself down to the Thai Spa at the Fairdale Plaza. I needed to get some twisting, turning, stretching and adjusting happening.I met the friendly and gentle Chanthra Yaemwaenkaew who instructed me to put on a traditional Thai outfit. It was full white, loose and cool. Hmmm, this was definitely different; I was intrigued. Outfit on, I indicated that I was ready. Already, I had visions of lying face-down and feeling a few stretches and tugs, all designed to make my body pliant and relaxed. It did start off with some soothing massage in various pressure points, Chanthra kindly asking what level of pressure I felt most comfortable with. Even though my computer shoulders were screaming for deep and intense, I wimped out and asked for medium pressure. After I had decided, it was time to lay back and await snore-inducing bliss.

Ambergris Today

San Pedro Police Department Praised for Keeping Crime Down in San Pedro
This comes as very good news to residents of Ambergris Caye, as reports during the month of June had indicated an increase in crime, in particular burglary. Only five burglaries were reported in July as compared to 14 in June. The most problematic areas on the island where more crime is reports remain in Sector 2 being town core, Coconut Drive, San Pedrito, San Juan and Boca del Rio areas. The North Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch group is very happy with the performance of the San Pedro Police Department, reporting much less crime in the area. ASP Castallano noted that his main challenge at the moment is with drug activity at the northern-most point of the island. He is working on increasing patrols and anti-drug operations in the area.

Belize Jaguars Football Players Honored with Award
Two of Belize's Football Players, Mr. Woodrow West and Mr.Ian Gaynair were awarded by the Belize Olympic Committee for their outstanding honesty and patriotism during their participation in the Gold Cup Tournament in the U.S.A. According to the committee their character exemplifies the aims and objectives of the International Olympic Committee. Mr. Charles Bartley Hyde, President of the Belize Olympic Committee's Fair Play Commission, and other members; Mr. Raymond Lashley, Ms. Hadie Gomez, Mrs. Yolanda Fonseca and Mr. Edward Pitts, and with the consent of Mr. Hilly Martinez, President of the Belize Olympic & Commonwealth Games Association, in concurrence with His Excellency, Sir Colville Young, Patron of the Belize Olympic Committee announced that the Gilmore Henkson Fair Play Trophy was to be awarded to Mr. Woodrow West and Mr. Ian Gaynair.

Misc Belizean Sources

MPR Off Road Race
The race through Mountain Pine Ridge is this weekend, Saturday, August 31st, at Hidden Valley Inn. Hope they get a lot of great pictures, of the scenery, and the vehicles. It'll be muddy this time around.

National Bartending Competition
Traveller's Liquor is having its 60th anniversary this year, and they are looking for Belize's best bartender. They'll be choosing the 2 best from Cayo at Midas Resort tomorrow, August 31st. For more info, email [email protected] If you're up to the challenge, enter their National Bartender Competition. "Bartenders are being given the chance to showcase their skills at the 60th anniversary for Traveller's Liquor Ltd. Competition, with talent from 6 districts competing for the title of Belize Best Bartender."

Back to School Dance
Everyone's heading back to school, and that's a reason to party. Hands for Life is having their Back to School party at JJ's(formerly Cappello's), tonight. There will be great music, give-aways, and free jello shots. Have fun and support a great cause.

Valerie Joyce Penner Exhibit at Soul Project
The Soul Project had a special exhibit Saturday night of the works of Valerie Joyce Penner. Quite a bit of her art was on display, and she even did a few songs. Rick Galvez played some new material also. Another great night at the Soul Project. VIDEO

Channel 7

FECTAB Made Peace With PM
Last week, FECTAB held a memorable press conference, lathering Norwegian Cruise Line and its proposed project for Harvest Caye in Southern Belize. The raised so much hell that, the Prime Minister, who famously does not watch the news or read the papers, did get wind of their fulminations. So, he did the unexpected thing; he called FECTAB President Tom Greenwood and invited them to a meeting. That was held on Wednesday and today we caught up with the trio in Belize City to talk about what came out of the meeting. They were surprisingly upbeat about the undertakings given to them by the Prime Minister:� Tom Greenwood - President, FECTAB "It was a brilliant move on the part of the Prime Minister to at last give us a little respect, that is what we asked for - he gave us maximum respect because he asked our opinion, he argued with us, he talked with us - he tried to convince us on some things, we convinced him on a lot of things - it went extremely well." David Almendarez - FECTAB "The first thing he promised us is that if the project is done down south, it will go through a full EIA assessment, he also assured us it's not a done deal, it has to meet environmental compliance."

Former FFB Pres Agrees To Pay Income Tax 500/monthly To Settle Arrears
Last night we told about former FFB President, 55 year-old vet, Bertie Chimilio, who allegedly owes the Income Tax Department, $33,255 in arrears for taxes he didn't pay when he was the president of the FFB. Well, as this picture, shows Chimilio left the court today wearing a big grin. And that might be because the judge ordered that he has to pay his income tax arrears of $33,000 dollars at a rate of $500 dollars per month for five years. Today, the income tax prosecutor Anne Castillo appeared to show the court cancelled checks and a salary registry. She noted that many of his records had been destroyed and she could only unearth emolument checks for between 2010-2011. She added that Chimilio had not filed tax returns for several years when he was FFB President.

Gov't Golf Cart Caught In Drunk Driving Accident On San Pedro
We report on accidents all the time - usually between fast moving vehicles on the highway - but an accident in San Pedro last night proved that even a golf cart can be deadly. The San Pedro Sun reports that 2 people were injured in a traffic accident when a Government of Belize owned Polaris golf car slammed into a fence. The victims are 19 year-old Julia Mejia a waitress at an island bar, and Geovanni Guerra, tour guide, both of San Pedro Town. The accident occurred at the corner of Caribe�a Street and Barrier Reef Drive in San Pedro Town early this morning. Police came upon this accident during a patrol at 2:30 am, when they saw the golf cart crash into parked golf cart. The driver then reversed, hit the fence surrounding Heritage Bank and fled the scene.

US Capital Says Choc Needs to Stop Misinforming
Right now, just about every major media house in Belize is in Punta Gorda on a tour of the Sarstoon Temash National Park and adjoining communities. Now, this is a kind of rogue move because SATIIM no longer co-manages the Park, and today's tour included a trip to the US Capital Energy Drill Site called Temash Number 2. SATIIM took community leaders there last week where it led to a showdown with police who were protecting the site. And this morning before the media departed, King who we mat at the Belize city Municiapl Airport warned that there was a right way and a wrong way to do things - and at a meeting yesterday, he urged Choc to do things the right way:.. Alistair King - Country Representative, US Capital Energy "Well the meeting we had yesterday wasn't really about that but it came up. Anybody has to get permission from the Forest Department first to go into the park because they are the management of the park." Reporter "Has that permission been given as far as you know?" Alistair King "No, not to my knowledge"

Transnational Trafficking Of 12 Year Old Girl
There is a troubling case of human trafficking and transnational crime to report tonight - and it involves a 12 year old Mexican girl. Tonight, reports say the 12 year old minor is being deported from Belize back to Mexico after she was found by Belizean authorities in Belizean territory. Reports say that she was found near the border with Guatemala in the company of 2 undocumented Honduran nationals who have both recently been deported from the United Stated and one of them is a known member of the MS-13 gang. Belizean authorities, with the support of the Embassy of Mexico in Belize, are investigating a possible case of human trafficking, because the child is 12 years old, while the two Hondurans are older than 30 years and convinced her to leave her house and come with them from the state of Tabasco, Mexico, through Guatemala to Belize.

Hold Up! On Hawkesworth
Tonight, Cayo residents are advised that The Hawkesworth Bridge is under repair. The Ministry of Works issued a release today saying that the bridge will be closed for maintenance and repairs for the next week. But, it won't be closed all day - the bridge will shut down from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm daily.

Still No Bail For Bucknor
In July of this year, accused molester Charles Bucknor was charged with one count of indecent assault upon a 12 year old girl and was denied bail. And today, bail was again denied when he appeared in the Magistrate's Court. Bucknor has been unrepresented from his first arraignment, and today after 43 days on remand, he asked the lower court to please grant him bail. Bucknor told Magistrate Leslie Hamilton that he's innocent, and has no prior charges or convictions. But Magistrate Hamilton refused him bail and further remanded him to the Belize Central Prison until September 17, 2013, when bail will be considered on his behalf. In July, the prosecutor had objected to bail when he submitted that, there is a possibility that Bucknor could be slapped with additional charges. So far, no additional charges have materialized. The minor told police that on Tuesday, July 16, 2013, Bucknor performed oral sex on her. At the time the minor was a Standard 6 student.

Finnegan Calls House Committees Dysfunctional
Over the last few weeks, we've heard plenty about the public accounts committee. The social partners agree that they have to get it working, and while all that is good and well, is the House Committee System working any at all. Well, Senior member for the UDP Michael Finnegan has publicly confirmed what any regular visitor to the house can clearly see: The House Committee System is completely dysfunctional. Yesterday evening, he told us that often times the meetings last for just five minutes, because members show up un-prepared, and unable to analyse the hefty pieces of legislation. According to Finnegan, typically at committee meetings, quote, "nobody has studied the bill - no one has anything to say about the bill." He says members, on both sides of the house don't have the capacity to properly analyse the legislation put before them. He noted also that meetings often start late, or are postponed after committee members fail to show up. In that case however, members still collect their allowance to travel to and from Belmopan. Finnegan said, quote, "NONE OF THE COMMITEES ARE FUNCTIONAL."

Mass In Blues, Re-loaded, Re-visited
In 1971 pianist Frankie Reneau wrote, composed and arranged a heartfelt elegy to his piano instructor Laura Staine who had died in a tragic accident. Reneau was only 16 at the time, and the highly precocious, complex and vivid reflection on life and death was very well received. Reneau was rightly hailed as a prodigy - and he along with band and choir performed to eager audiences in Belize city and the Districts. That was 1971, and since then, Reneau has migrated to the UK, where he trained extensively as a concert pianist in Moscow, and London. And now, 42 years after Mass in Blues, he is returning to his boyhood masterpiece. Reneau is performing Mass In Blues for two nights on September 6th and 8th at the Bliss Center. The event is seen as one of the highlights of the September Celebrations for music lovers, especially those who fell in love with Mass in Blues. The good news for them is that Mass In Blues has been digitally re-mastered by Ludwig Studios and is being re-launched on Compact Disc with new packaging and liner notes. And the good news for Reneau is that he has re-visited his work and found it fit for a modest re=working:�.

Lova Boy Gets Ready To Launch New Album, Reflects On Tough Year
And while Frankie Reneau is going back into the past to re-work a classic, punta rocker Lova Boy is zooming into the future with his new album "Victorious." Yesterday, we sat down with Lova Boy to discuss the new album, his new outlook on life and the bogus sexual battery allegations that hounded him last year:� Lova Boy - Release New Album, "Victorious" "The album is a very triumphant and celebratory album, so I felt like there was no better time release an album like that. Victorious in itself right, the meaning of the album and the concept behind the name and what the album represents is basically saying that Lova Boy is in a place in his life whereby I am ready to acknowledge and own the fact that I won't make it to be gazillionair yet but however I have been victorious and successful in life. Once I am able to own that place, in term I will be in a better position and bestow blessing from within and help other people be victorious in their own life. I want to be very clear that why Lova Boy does make party music - I invite anybody and to listen to the content of the music - I don't make music that really degrades women. The rhythm is a party rhythm, that doesn't mean it's not spiritual - it moves people."

Little Miss�.
The 5th annual - Independence Day Junior Miss- Pageant will be held this weekend at the Bliss. The pageant is organized by a group of ladies - who call themselves "Concerned Belizean Women" and through this event they have been able to fundraise and donate to numerous organizations and charities in Belize. 7news caught up with the 7 contestants today - while during practice. Witney Swift - Pageant Organizer "This is the fifth annual Miss Independence day Junior - this idea came about because of the concern of Belizean women. A group of ladies who came together to join forces to help fund raise and donate to various females and child centers, organizations and charities. People can expect a night full of entertainment - these young ladies have worked hard during the past six weeks and we have 4 different section - the introduction, dance, costume, the statement and along with the evening gown section." The pageant is on Saturday night at the Bliss. Tickets are 10 dollars and the show starts at 7pm sharp.

Confirmed: Greg Is Gone!
And in our last story tonight - news from Midway Village in the Toledo District is that AT A 6:00 PM PRESS CONFERENCE, Greg Choc has confirmed what had become all but evident: he has been accepted to attend law school and is leaving his post. He added that when he decides to go it will be in consultation with his people and someone else will lead the movement.

Channel 5

Black Widow Thrillers: San Ignacio woman puts hit on her husband, but gets caught
On the first of August we broke the story of a woman in San Ignacio who had allegedly put a hit on her husband, a wealthy British national, Glen Wilson. [...]

Mother charged for abandoning her kids who were rescued from a burning apartment
A fire at an apartment complex on Canondale Street in Lake Independence on Thursday nearly claimed the lives of two children, three year old Shanika Reneau and four year old [...]

U.S. Capital Energy says SATIIM needs permission from forestry to access Temash
Media teams from across the country are currently in the deep-south on a SATIIM-hosted tour of the Sarstoon Temash National Park. That's the intention, anyway. In recent days things have [...]

Yumi Limited looks to buy Caye Chapel Resort
A press release on the BCB Holdings website says that Yumi Limited, a British Virgin Islands Company, has entered into an agreement to purchase the exclusive Caye Chapel Resort. The [...]

San Pedro woman is disfigured in a horrific accident
There was a traffic accident in San Pedro Town early this morning. Two persons were injured when the Polaris they were travelling in slammed into a fence. The injured victims [...]

Former F.F.B. president will have to pay income tax fines for the next five years
The case of former Belize Football Federation President, Bertie Chimilio, for unpaid income taxes amounting to thirty-three thousand dollars continued today in the court of Magistrate Leslie Hamilton. Testifying was [...]

Belize Jaguars will play despite not being paid
There are serious rumblings in the Football Federation of Belize right now. The players who represented Belize at the Gold Cup have not received the payment they were promised. The [...]

Athletes to represent Belize at 2013 FIBA Americas U-18 Championship
Belizean athletes continue to compete on the international stage. The most recent contingent to leave is the National Under-eighteen three-by-three basketball team. The team departed en route to Washington DC [...]

Hands of Mercy Charity Foundation gives school supplies to needy children
Some four hundred and fifty less fortunate primary school students from across the Belize District received some much needed school supplies courtesy of the Hands of Mercy Charity Foundation. Designed [...]

President Obama weighing possible responses to military action against Syria
Going into the weekend, military action appears imminent against Syria by the United States. On Tuesday, the U.S. president Obama said that he was weighing possible responses to what the [...]

Concerned Belizean Women present fifth annual Independence Day Junior Miss
The September celebrations kick off this weekend. It's a calendar filled with activities leading up to national day. This Saturday, the pageant called Independence Day Junior Miss will be staged [...]

Second Annual Village Arts and Craft Expo
Another activity being held this Saturday takes place at the newly renovated Memorial Park. It is the second annual Village Arts and Crafts Expo which will showcase the talents of [...]

Memorable moments of the summer's hottest family entertainment show, Superstar!
At the Bliss auditorium, the crowd went wild on Tuesday night on the announcement that the duo of Shannelly and Chad had emerged as this season's Superstars. The competition among [...]

LOVE FM

San Ignacio/Santa Elena Towns Countdown to September Celebrations
This weekend marks the beginning of September, the time of the year when our patriotic ego is at its largest since we celebrate the two hundred and fifteenth anniversary of the Battle of St. Georges Caye on the tenth and thirty two years of Independence on the twenty first of September. As you've been aware, Raise your flag and Win with love, an initiative that started in 2006 to give a kick to the patriotic spirit by offering prizes for decorating homes, businesses, or individual items, will start its tour next week all over the nation. Over the past couple of weeks, we have been travelling to several towns to hoist banners, which indicate that it's time to get patriotic and win with love. Today, we travelled to San Ignacio Town in the Cayo District where, according to Mayor John August, they're one step closer to full fledge patriotic display JOHN AUGUST, Mayor, San Ignacio/Santa Elena "We are preparing and getting the town decorated and getting prepared for the upcoming celebrations; we have a lot activities planned." And he says that raise your flag definitely adds spice to the patriotic spirits, and that sentiment was also echoed by the Counselor in charge of Special Events, Shari Medina

Traffic Accident Proves Fatal for a Belize Defense Force Soldier
A fatal traffic accident yesterday evening in the Toledo District has claimed the life of a BDF Soldier. Correspondent Paul Mahung has the details. PAUL MAHUNG "The accident happened on the Southern Highway at a location between the Tambran and Medina Bank Village. Officer in charge of Toledo Police Formation Superintendent Simeon Alvarez went to the scene of the accident." SUPERINTENDENT SIMEON ALVAREZ "At around 5:15pm, the police responded to a traffic accident which occurred between miles 63 and 64 on the Southern Highway. The accident was between a motorcycle, which at the time was being driven by one, Mike Cho, 22 years old, originally from San Jose Village; he was heading from Punta Gorda from Santa Rosa when he got into a mishap with a red vehicle being driven by Natasha Gomez, 20 years old, a secretary of Punta Gorda Town, who at the time was heading from Bella Vista to Punta Gorda Town when the head on collision occurred. The cyclist, who was later recognized to be a BDF solider, lost his life as a result of the accident."

All Terrain Vehicle Handed Over to Institute of Archaeology
Earlier this year, the making Tourism Benefit Communities Adjacent to Archaeological Sites was launched. The project is being executed under the Belize Rural Development Program Two, with counterpart funding from the European Union with co-financing from the Government of Belize through the Ministry of Tourism and Culture, represented by the Belize Tourism Board and the National Institute for Culture and History. As part of this initiative an all-terrain vehicle was handed over to the Institute of Archaeology today. According to the project coordinator, Ian Morrison, the ATV will assist with monitoring upcoming infrastructure improvements at indicated sites. IAN MORRISON, Project Coordinator, MTBCAAS "We are here today to hand over an ATV that will be a major contribution to the health and safety especially at the cave sites we have at the moment. It will be based at the Caves Branch where we have the highest visitations and it will be used for the monitoring of the infrastructure works throughout the cave sites and wherever we think is necessary but mainly at Caves Branch but also it will assist in the rescue efforts at these sites should the need arise. This ATV is a 2013 500CC vehicle; it's very big and we must warn that the riders and drivers of this vehicle must exercise caution.

Mexican Minor Found on Belizean Soil Near Guatemala With Two Men; Possible Human Trafficking
Belizean authorities have handed over a twelve year old Mexican girl to their Mexican counterparts. The girl was found in Belizean territory near the Guatemalan border. She was in the company of two Honduran nationals, both with criminal records. Love News understands that the repatriation was a joint effort between the Mexican Embassy in Belize and the Government of Belize. Reports are that Belizean authorities, with the support of the Embassy of Mexico in Belize, believe to be a case of human trafficking. The girl who lives in Tabasco, Mexico was convinced to leave her home and travel with the two men to Belize. The men have been identified as Raul Villanueva Cardenas, (aka) "Hugo Ramirez Pardons " also known as " Rolando Hern�ndez Jim�nez " or " Justin Daniel Jordano Palace " , who is an alleged member of the gang MS-13, and Jose Antonio Paredes. Both men were recently deported from the U.S. and have criminal records. They were remanded to the Belize Central Prison. Love News understands that the minor was transported in the company of members of the Department of Human Services today to the border with Mexico and delivered to Mexican authorities, including the Mexican Child Protection Agency, along with her mother. Love News also understands that the Embassy of Mexico in Belize made contact with the relatives of the child in Mexico in order to report that the child was in the custody of Belizean authorities.

Three Belize City Secondary Schools Awarded for Doing The Right Thing
Since 2010 Philip "Fawda" Henry has been conducting a personal initiative to try to keep Belize's children safe on the street. The Do the Right Thing Pedestrian campaign has taken flight and today, Henry issued awards and medals to students from the top three qualifying schools. He told Love News that his sessions with the students proved helpful. PHILIP 'FAWDA' HENRY "Today was a blast giving out the medals and the awards to the three schools that qualified. Edward P. Yorke today was the champion for the entire country, 'Do The Right Thing' pedestrian safety school program; second place went to Pallotti High School and Maud Williams High School placed third. The children were overwhelmed to know that they have achieved medals and gifts from BTB and other business places across the country; knowing that people are out there caring about them doing the right thing. This program is for the children to know what safety is; utilizing the sidewalks and the pedestrian crossing. Over the past years we had a lot of children missing in the remote villages and districts and in Belize City we had the same thing, cars driving over the pedestrian bump and not wanting to stop and now we want everyone to know that all schools have united and try to bring down predators who are trying to knock down these children and kidnap them in cars. The children are aware to look out for vehicles, their license plates, vehicles with stolen license plates and with different colors. I want everyone to know that Pallotti, the second place champion and they are going to work together in order to have this program in their Social Studies class and I am proud of the principal who told me they will forward this program in their Social Studies class."

Mother of Toddlers Rescued from House Fire Arraigned For Child Abandonment
The mother of two young children who almost perished in a fire but were rescued by a neighbor is tonight on remand at the Belize Central prison when she was unable to meet bail that was granted to her late this evening when she appeared in Court today. 25-year-old Shanel Robinson was unrepresented when she appeared before Magistrate Leslie Hamilton. Two charges of child abandonment were read to her. No plea was taken from Robinson. As was reported yesterday, Robinson reportedly left her two children both under seven years old age alone in an apartment on Canon Dale Drive in the Lake Independence area of Belize City. A fire started in the apartment and the children had to be rescued by neighbours. Magistrate Hamilton offered Robinson bail in the sum of one thousand dollars since the court prosecutor had no objection but Robinson was unable to meet mail. Robinson is due back in court on October 8. The children remain in the care of child services.

Past Football Federation President Guilty of Owing Government Taxes
In a judgment given today, Dr. Bertie Chimilio was ordered by Magistrate Leslie Hamilton to pay five hundred dollars per month for income tax amounting to thirty three thousand three hundred and ten dollars until the total amount is paid. The payment takes effect from September 15. If Dr. Chimilio defaults on payment, Magistrate Hamilton may sign a warrant for him to be committed to Belize Central Prison for a period of six weeks until payment is made. Dr. Chimilio said that he is not currently employed and he had suggested that he could pay two hundred dollars per month but that was not acceptable. The non- payment of income tax is for a period of two years, 2010 and 2011. Dr. Chimilio was not represented by any attorney.

International Press Says Caye Chapel In Belize Sold For Millions
Caye Chapel Island Resort is now, reportedly, off the market. That's according to an online article posted on StockMarketWire.com. According to the article, BCB Holdings has agreed to sell Caye Chapel for thirty million dollars. The multi-million dollar sale was done with Yumi Limited, a British Virgin Islands company funded by private equity, according to the article. In the conditional agreement to sell Caye Chapel, the terms of the transaction provide for an initial non-refundable payment prior a due diligence period from September 1, 2013 to November 14, 2013 and a final closing on December 20, 2013. Reports, however, are that several other offers exceeding the selling price was offered by other interested parties. Of note is when we did an online search for further information on Yumi Limited there was no results.

CTV3

OWTC To Bestow Awards To Exemplary Orange Walkenos
The countdown for the September celebrations has begun and by now, many patriotic Belizeans are already displaying their love and honor for our country. The good news is that their patriotism will not go un-noticed as the Orange Walk Town Council has organized an award for ten outstanding Orange Walkenos who are vivid examples of true patriots. A plaque will be awarded to these individuals who have given of their time and efforts to assist others and those who have held the Belizean banner with pride. Kevin Bernard, Mayor, OWTC "Individuals that they believe have serviced the community and serviced this country well for whatever amount of years they have been here whether it is a teacher, it is a policeman, whether it is a fireman, public servant or it is an educator for whatever capacity they believe that person have given up to themselves to the community being patriotic to this country and for being Belizeans we want to encourage them to send in those names, want to honor ten of these people on the 20th night celebrations and we don't want it come from a decision come from us we want to pool at the names that would come up and then we do the best ten then the committee would then select the best ten that they feel really deserves that recognition this time around."

NTUCB Strikes Back At GOB
Tonight it seems that the issue of the restructuring of the Public's Account Committee won't go away until the Prime Minister of Belize receives the idea with open arms and actually looks into the improvement of the committee. Knowing the P.M though, that's easier said than done. A few days ago the Office of the Prime Minister issued a release taking a no stance on the issue. The release clearly stated that the proposed restructuring of the committee would be too expensive, since the costs to hold committee meetings would increase. The statement went on to say that the Government side of the Committee will insist that the Chairman calls an urgent meeting of the PAC to agree to a schedule for consideration of all the outstanding Auditor General reports. The schedule would be divided into two: examination of pre-2008 reports; and examination of post-2008 reports. And if Hon. Espat, as Chairman of PAC, refuses to get things moving the way Government plans, then the provision of the Standing Orders to have its members convene and conduct the meetings so that the work of the Committee can get done will be used. The meetings will be held with or without Espat's support. The People's United Party did not take Government's statement lightly and signed a declaration demanding and confirming their commitment to the restructuring of PAC. The Belize Chamber of Commerce and the National Trade Union Congress of Belize are also backing up Espat's proposal. And yesterday the NTUCB reiterated their strong support for the restructuring of the PAC.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

More News: Scroll up from here

PlusTV

Income Tax Department takes former FFB President Bertie Chimillo to court
Former Football Association President, Bertie Chimillo was before the Belize City Magistrate's Court after being summoned by the Income tax Department regarding the recovery of arrears. The record is showing that Mr Chimillo owes income tax some $13,900 plus $19,355.00. Today was for a judgment summons but Magistrate Leslie...

GOB annoyed by SATIIM accusations
Earlier this week the Sarstoon Temash Institute of Indigenous Management (SATIIM) fired off a press release offering further condemnation of the actions of police and representatives of U.S. Capital Energy in denying SATIIM representatives access into the Sarstoon Temash National Park last Friday. It maintains that the Government's and...

University of Belize launches Institutional Curriculum Review
On Thursday the University of Belize lifted the veil on an important internal evaluation of the national university's present programs, policies and plans for the future. The Institutional Curriculum Review, according to the University, is designed to create an ongoing program of academic reviews that will help to monitor...

Belize City woman reports sexual assault
A woman in the St. Martin's Area of Belize City says she woke up to a man sexually assaulting her. Sometime around two Wednesday afternoon, the victim says she was sleeping in her house, when she was awakened to a man on top of her. The woman reported that...

16 years old accuses man of rape
In Belize City, authorities are investigating a rape report filed by a 16 year old girl. The minor, accompanied by her grandmother, reported that since she was 11 years old, a man identified as Felcito Sho, has been fondling her. She further stated that he had threatened to kill...

Grassroots Training seeks to propel Belize football to higher heights
Belize, small as it may be, has proven to the world that it has the potential to compete against the big countries in football at both the senior and junior levels. One would only think that the next step is to continue by investing in more...

VP of FFB promises to pay A Team players soon
Plus News got a chance to speak with FFB Senior VP Sergio Chuc, regarding the stalling of payment to the A team, for their participation in this year's Gold Cup. As agreed to by the players and management, just moments prior to their departure to Oregon, the monies would...

Western Regional Hospital investigating death of unborn baby
On Monday, a report came in that a man lost his unborn child at the Western Regional Hospital. Although this man's suffering is understandable, hospitals in general are known to lose lives daily- a natural course of life. However, what makes this man's case peculiar is that he claims...

Coalition and COLA donate school supplies to Belize City children
On Thursday, The Belize Coalition To Save Our Natural Heritage, along with COLA, gave away school bags filled with school supplies. The recipients were 20 primary school students from both north and southside Belize city. Rochelle Reneau communications and research officer shares more. Rochelle Reneau...

BTB presents second Village Arts and Craft Expo
The Belize Tourism Board is preparing again to showcase the best of Belizean arts and culture at its annual arts and craft expo in Belize City on Saturday. With more here is the Destination Planning and Development Coordinator for the BTB, Clive Myers. Clive Myers - Coordinator: This Saturday,...

Queen of the Bay to be selected on Saturday
The true harbinger of the September Celebrations in Belize City is the annual selection of a Queen of the Bay. It has been described as living history - 67 unbroken years of an "emblem of freedom," as the classic theme song written by Eloise Humes describes her. Current queen...

Young and old musicians join together for memorable event
Belizean musicians are making major strides in the industry, both locally and on the international scene. But it's only right that homage be paid to those performers who paved the way and created a platform for the up and coming. And this past Sunday, Belizean...

Mikal launches new album "Redefined" and Music Video "Moving On"
Gospel musician Mikal Evans will be launching his new album "Redefined" next month. It's expected to be a grand affair, with guest performances from Caribbean artists Emrand Henry and Stephen Murphy. Mikal Evans who stopped by Rise and Shine on Thursday, gave details...

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Garbage Issue on the island
I need to be earlier with this update because we are faced with a real dilemma that will affect our little Jewel if we as a community do not act ASAP. Apparently, a case or few cases of Dengue has been reported in San Pedro. Now before you start blaming your village council for not spraying in the rain, let me explain a little about Dengue. The major causes of this disease is more garbage related than water related. This is FACT. Over the last month, we have many reports of the garbage collectors, getting paid by the establishments to take garbage to the dump that never reaches our dump. Now, we know that someone or many people on this island have seen people dumping garbage on the back streets, yet as we ask around for information, everyone is numb. This is our community and if Dengue shows up on Caye Caulker, none of us will be immune. Why are we allowing this to happen to us. As a villager, we owe our community and our neighbors the chance to live in a healthy environment. We will prosecute anyone found dumping garbage on our streets, in our neighborhoods or anywhere else except at the dump site. I would encourage all businesses to not allow garbage to be picked up after hours. Don't give these individuals any excuse to infest our little jewel. By the end of the year this entire garbage system will fail to exist as it does now. Until then, we don't need Dengue or any other diseases to upset our livelihood and way of living. Garbage disposal is our major problem Caye Caulker. Each resident have a responsibility to bag and ensure our garbage reaches it's final destination. Maybe we should start paying the various collectors after they return from the dump with a receipt. HOW ABOUT THAT CONCEPT.

HIV Awareness
The National AIDS Commission along with the Caye Caulker health Committee will be offering free HIV testing with pre and post test counseling at the Cay eCaulker Health Center Friday, Sept. 6th, from 10am until 3pm.

Amandala

HERO ON CANNONDALE LANE
Two children who were trapped in a burning room in an apartment complex are lucky to be alive after they were saved by a courageous neighbor who braved the fire and smoke to rescue them. The two children are now at the hospital receiving treatment for injuries they suffered as a result of the fire. The girl, 6, suffered burns to her face and hands, while her brother, 5, suffered burns to his ear. The incident occurred about 11:30 this morning in Apartment 4 of a housing complex on Cannondale Avenue in the Lake-I area of the Belize City. Kenrick Middleton, 38, who resides in Apartment 2 in the said housing complex, told Amandala that about 11:30 this morning, he was in his room resting when he heard someone yell "fire!" He immediately jumped up to see what was happening and he saw a neighbor run to Room 4, from which smoke was coming. The neighbor was trying to rescue the children, but that neighbor was unsuccessful. Middleton then went into Room 4, and it was dark and smoky, but he followed the sound coming from the children, who were crying in the back end of the room. He grabbed them and was taking them outside when he fell, hitting his knee in the darkness. Middleton said that although he fell, and suffered burns to his hair, he did not let go of the children, and at the same time, a woman who was also a resident of the apartment complex ran into the house and he handed them over to her.

HON. FINNEGAN INDICTS "DYSFUNCTIONAL" HOUSE COMMITTEES
Mesopotamia Area Representative Michael Finnegan, a United Democratic Party member of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC), told Amandala today it is not just the PAC which has been moribund - the whole system is dysfunctional, because very often, he said, House committee meetings last a few minutes-even when there is a quorum-and have to be closed early because those members who do bother to attend go there ill-prepared, or, in his view, do not have the intellectual capacity to engage in proper dialogue on the matters put before them. Finnegan would not say whether he would attend next Wednesday's PAC meeting, scheduled for 2:00 p.m. "I don't know if I am going� Nobody can force me to go to a meeting. The people who can force me to attend are the people who I represent in Mesop division," Finnegan said. Finnegan said that the only reason some parliamentarians attend those committee meetings is to get the cash allowance, so that they can pocket the $100 or so they are left with after paying their transportation expenses.

PHYLLIS WATSON-WILLIAMS, MD, GIVES BACK TO HER HOMELAND
The laudable contributions that Belizeans in the diaspora make to improve the lives of those here in Belize are always welcomed. Some of these Belizeans often play an inspirational role in the society by giving back to their communities. At this newspaper, such Belizeans are considered as exemplary, as they not only strive to be successful in their personal lives, but also play a significant part in seeking to improve the livelihoods of their fellow Belizeans. They sacrifice their time, resources and energy to make positive contributions in the development of their country. Today, Amandala had the privilege to speak with a much-accomplished and distinguished Belizean-American doctor who currently resides in Georgia in the United States, but is committed to making a positive impact on the lives of Belizeans. Dr. Phyllis Watson, 56, is a scholar in the medical field who specializes in internal medicine and is a true Belizean success story. She has spent over 40 years abroad after migrating to the US as a teenager. After studying medicine, she embarked on a multi-faceted career as a physician for over 20 years.

ASHCROFT SELLS CAYE CHAPEL FOR US$30 MIL
The Caye Chapel Island Resort, described by sales agents as "the ultimate private retreat" and "a true trophy property," is reportedly off the market after reports that BCB Holdings has struck a US$30 million deal with Yumi Limited of the British Virgin Islands for the purchase of the 265-acre property. The ownership of Yumi Limited has not been disclosed, and a report published on StockMarketWire.com (SMW) merely says that the company is "funded by private equity." No company details were found in an online search conducted by Amandala. A real estate agent who has had interest in the asset, questions whether Yumi is a shell company affiliated with the Ashcroft group. He furthermore indicates that there had been multiple offers for more than the sale price. In fact, the Caye Chapel Resort property, located just 12 miles from Belize City, had been listed at a price of US$42 million to US$45 million. If you are wondering how the property ended up in the hands of the Ashcroft Alliance, we have found, from court papers we've seen, that British Caribbean Bank International Limited, based at Market Square, Belize City, had acquired the property in lieu of a US$30 million liability Caribbean Holdings Inc. (CHI) held with the bank.

FELICITO SHO, 40, REMANDED FOR RAPE
This morning, Felicito Sho, 40, a resident of #4296 Jane Usher Boulevard, was taken before Magistrate Leslie Hamilton and read a single charge of rape. According to a report, on Monday, a businesswoman went to the Racoon Street Police Station along with her 16-year-old granddaughter, who told police that Sho had been fondling her since she was 11 years old. She told police that she had not reported the matter because Sho had threatened to kill her and her family if she had said anything to anyone about it. But according to the minor, Sho took it a step further when, in the month of May, she awoke to find him on top of her having sexual intercourse with her against her will.

TEENAGE BROTHERS ATTACK THEIR FATHER OVER TENNIS SHOES
As the upcoming school year approaches, there is pressure on many parents to provide school supplies, books and footwear for their children in time for the reopening of school. A Belize City father who apparently wasn't providing all the necessary supplies was almost mauled by his two sons as a result. Police report that they detained the two teenage boys, ages 13 and 17, of a Belize City address. The father, 61-year-old taxi driver Elihue Bailey, told police that he had parked his vehicle in front of his house on Racoon Street Extension on Monday afternoon around 1:00. He then went upstairs of his house where he was accosted by his 13-year old son who questioned him about a pair of tennis shoes that he was supposed to get for school, which is scheduled to reopen shortly.

PROBLEMS FOR MAN, 21, WHO HAD SEX WITH GIRL, 15
A 21-year-old man of Xaibe, Village Corozal, has been arrested and charged with carnal knowledge after he had sex with a 15-year-old girl on Friday, August 23, at the girl's home. After being taken to the Corozal Magistrate's Court today, Victor Castaneda was remanded to the Belize Central Prison until Tuesday, September 30. Police say that the girl and her mother, both of Xaibe Village, made a report to them of the incident, which they said occurred at her home. Police took the girl to the Corozal Hospital, where she was examined by a doctor who certified that she had been carnally known.

TOUR GUIDE, KARIM BOOD, 33, CHARGED WITH DRUG TRAFFICKING OF 1.6 KILOS OF SUSPECTED CANNABIS
Karim Bood, 33, a tour guide of #151 Antelope Street Extension, was charged with drug trafficking after police saw him throwing some bags through his bathroom window. According to police, at 12:30 yesterday afternoon, when they arrived near a residence in the area, which is next-door to Bood's residence, a member of the GSU saw Bood throwing some bags through the louvers of his bathroom window, which appeared suspicious. Bood was taken to the back of the apartment, where the bags were retrieved and when police opened the bags, they saw that they contained suspected drugs. Bood and the suspected drugs were taken to the police station, where the drugs were weighed and amounted to 1.3 kilograms, or 3.52 pounds of marijuana.

MAN, 19, ATTACKED BY GHOST TOWN GANG
A 19-year-old man told police that he was punched in the face by a member of the Ghost Town Gang, who was with other gang members, and a shot was fired at him at about 9:00 Sunday evening at a Chinese store at the corner of Lakeview Street and Cemetery Road in Belize City. The man said that while he was outside the store, he saw six men dressed in blue-and-white clothing walking towards him, and he recognized them. The man said that the gang members walked up to him, and without provocation, one of them punched him in the face. One of his assailant's friends then pulled a handgun out of his pants and pointed it at him. The teen said that when he saw the gun, he ran into Curassow Street, and as he ran, he heard shots being fired at him, but he was not hit.

POLICE NOTEBOOK
A man, 19, of Belize City reported that about 8:50 Sunday evening, August, 25, he was at a Chinese shop located at the corner of Curassow Street and Cemetery Road buying some items when he saw six male persons dressed in blue and white clothing walking toward him, from the direction of Lakeview Street. As they came closer to him, he recognized them to be from the Ghost Town Gang. The six persons walked up to him, and without provocation, one of them punched him on his left cheek. One of them, who is 5 feet 5 inches tall, and of fair complexion and medium build, with puffy hair, and who was dressed in a baby-blue 3/4 pants and a blue-and-yellow striped shirt, put his hand in the front of his pants and pulled out what appeared to be a black handgun and pointed it at him. Fearing for his life, he started to run, and as he turned on to Curassow Street, he heard a single shot fired in his direction. Police are seeking the shooter.

CHINESE BUSINESSMAN REMANDED TO THE BELIZE CENTRAL PRISON
A Chinese businessman, Zhi Lian Zhang, 56, of San Jose Village in Orange Walk, was remanded until October 25 to the Belize Central Prison by the Orange Walk Magistrate's Court on Friday, August 23, on charges of grievous harm, use of deadly means of harm and discharging a firearm in public. Police reports are that at about 6:30 Wednesday evening, August 21, three men were drinking at Zhang's store in San Jose, when Zhang and one of the men became involved in an altercation. Zhang, police say, took his licensed 12-gauge shotgun and fired at Erwin Hernandez, 26, hitting him on his left hand. The businessman said that the men had bought beer from him, and paid with a $100 note, and after he gave them change, they left, but they later returned to rob him and tried to forcefully open the door to the counter area. According to Zhang, they beat and kicked the door to break it down to gain entry into the area, and so he fired at them.

DOG BITES TODDLER IN THE FACE
A baby boy, 3, was attacked and bitten by a dog in his yard in Armenia Village. He is now recovering at the Western Regional Hospital in Belmopan after suffering bites to his face. The incident occurred in the boy's family's yard about 3:30 p.m., Monday, August 26. The mother of the toddler, Elsa Lemus, told reporters that her son came out of the house and went under a craboo tree in their yard when she suddenly heard him scream. She quickly ran out to see what was happening, and she saw her son bleeding from the face, and a black dog sitting about three feet away from him. The children in the yard told her that the dog attacked her son. She immediately rushed the boy to the Western Regional Hospital, where he was admitted in a stable condition. Lemus told police that this was not the first time that the dog had attacked people in the area.

THERESE ELIJIO, 31, REMANDED TO THE BELIZE CENTRAL PRISON AFTER SHE WAS DENIED BAIL
Therese Elijio, 31, also known as Tanisha Young, a resident of #152 Antelope Street Extension/Daisy Hornsby Street, was taken before Magistrate Leslie Hamilton and read two charges of drug trafficking. According to police, members of the Gang Suppression Unit were on their way to Elijio's house to conduct a search for illegal drugs when she was seen riding toward her house. She was searched on the spot, but nothing incriminating was found on her person, and she was escorted to her house, where the search commenced. Under a single bed inside the apartment, GSU found a red crocus bag and a large black plastic bag with a similar crocus bag inside it. When the bags were opened, inside the red one, 89 parcels of suspected cannabis were found, which amounted to 9.8 kilograms or 21.6 pounds.

BCVI ORANGE WALK BURGLARIZED - FOR THE 4TH TIME!
Even as those who believe in the cause of supporting the visually impaired - like the outstanding Rowan Garel and the BCVI team who dived in the Blue Hole last month - try to raise money to support the Belize Council for the Visually Impaired's activities to assist those with vision problems, the BCVI continues to be subject to those willing to plunder the facility. The BCVI Headquarters, located on Jabiru Street in Orange Walk, was burglarized, for the fourth time, on Friday, August 23, and two important computers of the center were stolen. One of the computers belongs to the in-house doctor of the facility, and the other was used by the rehab field officer for the northern districts of Orange Walk and Corozal. . Shamira Carrillo, the BCVI's rehab field officer, told reporters that the thieves gained entry into the building by prying out the burglar bars and forcing out the louvers of the concrete building.

NATIONAL WOMEN'S SOFTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP THIS FRIDAY - SUNDAY AT ROGERS STADIUM
The best of Belize's female softballers will be in action this weekend at Rogers Stadium in Belize City where eight teams from across the country will compete in the Belize Softball Federation's XXIII National Women's Softball Championship from Friday, August 30, through Sunday, September 1. The 8 participating teams are: from Belize City - BTL and Fresca Lady Rebels; from Cayo - Camalote Blazers and Roaring Creek Grace Kennedy; (from Belize Rural) Flowers Bank Easy Does It and Double Head Cabbage Mel's United; and (from Corozal) San Narciso Golden Strikers and Xaibe Killer Bees. BTL is the defending National Champion. Fans might be curious to note the pink Baden Softballs (with a symbolic pink ribbon imprinted on them) being used in the tournament. That is to promote cancer awareness, as this year's National Championship is being dedicated to survivors of breast cancer.

BABY JAGUARS RETURN HOME AFTER OUTSTANDING INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE
If we are to judge what would be the level of Belize's performance in football competition on the international scene in the years to come based on the recent achievement of the "Baby Jaguars," then we can say that Belize's football future looks very bright at this point in time. The Belize Male U-15 National Football Team, affectionately known as the "Baby Jaguars," returned home today after an impressive showing in the CONCACAF U-15 Championship that was recently held in the Cayman Islands. The team finished second in their group after losing only once to the only undefeated team in their group, Guatemala. However, the Baby Jaguars made an unprecedented achievement in U-15 CONCACAF competition, and ended with a remarkable record of 3 wins and 1 loss. Belize finished the tournament in commendable fashion with a total of 9 points, scoring 10 goals and allowing 3. The goal scorers were Randy Augustine, who netted 4 goals; Alvin Sifontes, who scored 3; and Mark Samuels and Rene Leslie, who scored 2 and 1, respectively. Their astounding participation and strong sportsmanship in the CONCACAF tournament earned them a chance to watch the championship game that was played on Sunday, August 25, between Honduras and Guatemala. They arrived back home after 1:00 p.m. on Monday, and were greeted at the Philip S.W. Goldson International Airport by their loved ones and members of the media.

GAYNAIR AND WEST RECEIVE OLYMPIC COMMITTEE'S GILMORE HINKSON FAIR PLAY TROPHY
At an award ceremony today in Belmopan, national football team members Ian "Yellow" Gaynair and Woodrow West, who had been previously honored by CONCACAF at its Gold Cup 2013 in the USA for rejecting and reporting attempts by match-fixers, were today honored for their "outstanding honesty and patriotism" by the Belize Olympic Committee's Fair Play Commission. Accompanied by fellow players and staff of the Belize National Team, Gaynair and West were each presented with the Gilmore Hinkson Fair Play Trophy at Government House in Belmopan by H.E. Sir Colville Young. According to an Olympic Association release, "The Gilmore Hinkson Trophy was established some years ago by the Belize Olympic Committee in memory of Mr. Gilmore Hinkson, who was a diligent and excellent secretary of the Belize Olympic Committee for many years. He was an outstanding football, softball & cricket player."

ANOTHER GIANT PASSES, REMEMBERING BUCK PALACIO
We received the message from Garrincha Adderley last night during the Press Cadogan Sports Show that Buck Palacio had passed on Tuesday in Dangriga. Another great Belizean footballer has left us, so soon after the Mugger and Big Mole. Buck was such a powerhouse in defence. I recall seeing him clear a ball with attackers closing in, and his kick was so awesome it seemed the ball would explode. The man was a "Rock of Gibraltar," indeed, the perfect complement to the elegant and wily Turo Roches who sometimes played behind him as sweeper for the great Stann Creek Selections of the 1970s'. My mind is fuzzy, I'm not sure which team I was playing for (Islanders, Charger, Belprint, Milpros), or which Buck Palacio was defending with, when I clashed against him in front of the Seaview (southern) goal at the MCC. I mostly played center midfield, but I sometimes ventured into the attack. I was driving towards goal just inside the eighteen on the left side, when from nowhere Buck caught up with me, and I made the mistake of challenging, as if to block, his intent to clear with his volcanic right foot. Buck's style was not only to stop, but to intimidate attackers with his power.

PAWPA BROWN RACE RESULTS
The Weekend Warriors (W/W) went from Leslie's Imports to Garbutt's Farm at Mile 25 on the Northern (Philip Goldson) Highway via Boom Road for the C Class, 38 miles; and from Leslie's Imports to Crooked Tree Junction to Garbutt's Farm at Mile 25, Northern (Philip Goldson) Highway via Boom Road for the A/B Class, 50 miles. Top finishers were: A/B Class: 1st place - Isaiah Willacey (Digicell-4G, 2:13:11); 2nd Beat Brunschwelier (Cayo Rentals, 2:13:24); 3rd Barney Brown (Scotiabank, 2:15:05); 4th Ernest Thurton (Santino's, st); 5th Philip Burns (Cayo Rentals, st); 6th Kent Bob Gabourel (Invitee) and 7th Colin Maheia (BCB/FT Williams, st). Other finishers in no particular order were Ray Hyde (Santino's), Jack Sutherland (Digicell-4G), George Abraham (Scotiabank), Warren Coye (Santino's), Preston Martinez (M&M Engineering), Wilbert Jones (Digicell-4G), Palas Joseph (Santino's), Andrew Ordonez (Digicell-4G), Maurice Kelly (BCB/FT Williams), Nehru Gilharry (Truckers), Stephen Bissett (BNE), Eustace Ireland (Scotiabank), Gilroy Robinson (Santino's), Vallan Symms (Cayo Rentals), Douglas Lamb (Digicell-4G), James Frampton (Santino's), Mike Phillips (Santino's) and Mark Reid (Zitro).

MANY VOICES: HOW MANY PEOPLE? Editorial
When this newspaper began 44 years ago, there was only one electronic voice, that of Radio Belize, and it was a PUP government monopoly. Today in 2013, there are so many, so many electronic voices. On Monday evening in Belize City, for example, we heard a Spanish religious radio station coming from somewhere out of the Cayo District. The reason there was only that one voice in Belize 44 years ago was that the Premier of Belize, Hon. George C. Price, was embarked on a process of nation building, and he needed to be sure all of the Belizean people were listening to him. Out of many, he wanted to make one. World War II, which ended in 1945, was like World War I before it, in that the chief antagonists were the British and the Germans, Saxon first cousins actually, and they were fighting for world hegemony through control of colonial territories. England and Germany were relatively small European states which had overachieved where world power was concerned, and they ruled large numbers of subject peoples in colonies from whence they derived raw materials for their factories at very low prices. (In both wars, the French were allies of the British. In World War II, the Italians and the Japanese were allied with the Germans.)

FROM THE PUBLISHER
With the ruins of UBAD sadly surrounding me in 1974, I decided to make a symbolic farewell by running as the only UBAD Party candidate in the October general elections that year. There were precious true believers close to me, and I needed for them to see for themselves that the ride was over. I man would be the sacrifice. You had to deposit $200 in order to be a candidate back then. If you got 10 percent of the vote, you got back your money. If not, you lost your deposit. I remember that the two friends who helped me come up with the deposit money were the businessman Arturo Matus and Dr. Leroy Taegar. At the time, Mr. Matus had his store at the southern foot of the Swing Bridge, in a building owned by Alfred Melhado between Central Drug Store and the old La Mariposa. I'm not sure if Mr. Arturo and his younger brother, Orlando, had already started brewing Charger beer, but Mr. Arturo and I had become friends from back in 1969 when he was a contributor to the UBAD breakfast program on Hyde's Lane. As a result of those contributions, Mr. Matus told me, Mr. Price had considered him a UBAD sympathizer.

AS A LAYMAN �
�Rambling thoughts� �If you owned a bank, significant number of shares in the major industries of a country; if you controlled a propaganda organ, and had influential clout in the communications industry, not to mention interests In hotels, and if you have been given all this tax free for 40 years, then the next logical thing to do with all this "boondoggle and pork" is to establish a stock exchange� �the U.S. Congress is now in the process of amending its constitution to have a balanced budget. Heretofore and since its inception (thanks to Alexander Hamilton) the U.S. was constitutionally mandated to have a budget deficit. Now if the richest country in the world, the only one that is simultaneously a creditor and debtor nation, has lived like this for 200 years, why should Belize worry about a $42.7 million shortfall and be panicked by the I.M.F., unless it is part of their agenda to pay off the debts of the "North" with our natural resources� what is the price, I.M.F., of the largest living reef in the world?

BUCK PALACIO, REST IN PEACE
Kremandala honors Dangriga's Buck Palacio on his passing. He played the central defender position, we used to call it "stopper" in the old days. He was one of the very best in my lifetime. Buck, Orin Orio, and Garrincha Adderley were the closest of friends, and these three made any team they played on as strong down the middle as Belize has seen. Coco was in goal, Buck in front of him, and then Garrincha in midfield in front of Buck. Buck Palacio was a perfect physical specimen, not an ounce of fat on him. As big as he was, he was cat quick. When I think of him, I think of Hitler Gentle, who mostly played for BEC. But I believe Buck may have been bigger than Hitler. Buck was quiet, reserved, and dignified. I got to know Coco and Garrincha on a trip to Coatzacoalcos in 1978 much better than I did Buck Palacio. I told Garrincha and Mario Gonzales this morning that all our Kremandala facilities are available for Buck to be honored. The Garifuna people of the southern districts have a legitimate complaint over the years: no matter how great a star was born down south, the impression would be that an equivalent star in Belize City would be greater. This was not always the case. It was the fact that the media were in Belize City that made it appear so.

MY OPINION OF THE NCL-GOB MOU - by Joe Coye
At the center of any enlightened development philosophy for Belize should be sustainable human development and good governance - two mutually inclusive concepts. Belize, like other African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries, is no longer a beneficiary of protected markets of the likes provided by our former European colonizers under the Lome Convention schemes. This period of protection was to allow our infant industries to grow, to develop, and be competitive in a highly globalized world. Unfortunately, too many of our infants never shed their diapers. What I find quite interesting in the diagnosis of the tourist industry and its ultimate product, as laid out in the Master Plan, is the emphasis on sustainability and competitive advantage. The plan speaks of six tourist products for marketing, but made it abundantly clear that the two primary motivators will be nature-based tourism and culture-based tourism. The economic wisdom was evidenced very much from the fact that we do have four unique (not uncommon, but unique) tourist assets, namely, the Barrier Reef Reserve System, the Blue Hole Marine Reserve, the Caracol Maya Site, and the Chikibul Cave System. These, of course, are complemented by the splendor of our other marine resources, our wild life, our landscapes and other Mayan sites. I need not mention the wonders of our culture and, most of all, our people.

INDIGENOUS MAYA HAVE TRUE HUMAN RIGHTS CLAIM
"Whereas every person in Belize is entitled to the fundamental rights and freedoms of the individual, that is to say, the right, whatever his race, place of origin, political opinions, colour, creed or sex,�" - Section 3, Constitution of Belize Clearly one of the bases upon which you should not be discriminated against is your race and even place of origin, political opinion or colour, yet from my little perch on the national scene and through my legal lens I have not seen a more discriminated-against class of people in this country than the Maya people, who, despite all the struggle, remain pushing forward to defend their rights. Kudos to them! Sadly, unlike the gay agenda that is now being defined to appear to be a human right and which has behind it [no pun intended] millions being pumped in it, as well as powerful faces on the world stage aligned with that lifestyle, even the best paid lawyers appearing as their advocate, the Maya struggle has not gotten even 10% of said profile. How ironic. At home, like abroad, the media feast on giving the gay agenda headline status and in the 2013 Gender Policy the government has even committed to pay the legal assistance to advance said case against the schools not compliant with said agenda, calling it discrimination. [See page 26 of the Gender Policy]. Will write more on this another time.

RAMPANT RUMORS OF GREG CH'OC RESIGNATION "FALSE"
SATIIM official says Ch'oc is under vicious attack due to his activism. A ranking employee of the Sarstoon Temash Institute for Indigenous Management (SATIIM) told Amandala today that rampant rumors that SATIIM Executive Director, Greg Ch'oc, has abandoned the Maya of Toledo for a big plum - an opportunity to study law in the Caribbean - are being spread as part of "a vendetta against Mr. Choc." The SATIIM official told us that as far as they are aware, Ch'oc has no plans to resign and he is still employed with SATIIM. They have no information to indicate that he is planning any immediate departure from the organization, the staff member added. Amandala has been trying to reach Ch'oc since last Friday, when SATIIM was blocked from entering the drill site of US Capital inside the Sarstoon-Temash National Park; however, we have been unable to speak with him. We, therefore, wondered whether, indeed, the report of his resignation is true; however, staff indicated today that Ch'oc has not resigned.

IDEAS AND OPINIONS - WHY REFERENDUM?
Last Friday, a panelist on one of our morning television talk shows said, "We can't have government by referendum." He was commenting on a suggestion by a caller that a certain issue should be decided by a referendum. People who favor referendum know that there are issues of public importance, such as the death penalty for first degree murder, which will never reach the floor of the House for debate, even though the majority of Belizeans might think that that measure would reduce the incidence of murder and save lives. I am advised that the European Union, which buys most of our citrus products, is against the death penalty and would be offended if the death penalty was imposed on a offender, even though it is part of our penal system. It is feared that the EU would take reprisals in the form of boycotting the sale of our citrus products, even though our products are renowned for their high quality. It would not matter whether the government was Red or Blue: this is how our governments react to the "unexpressed" threat of our European Union patrons. So. In this case, it is not the will of the people that forms the basis in this aspect of our penal system. But, for that matter, we don't know, for certain, what the will of the people is. No effort has been made to find out. That is why, we need to have a referendum. Tell the people the truth. Tell them about the risk, real or perceived, then let them decide with their eyes open and their hearts strong.

NATURAL RESOURCES OFFICIAL DEATH THREAT "JUST A RUMOR?"
In last week Tuesday's issue of the Amandala, we mentioned a peculiar incident that reportedly occurred at the Ministry of Natural Resources in Belmopan earlier this month. The incident involved a suspicious package that, according to media reports on Plus TV News on Friday, August 23, was allegedly sent to the Ministry's Belmopan office and addressed to one of the three top-ranking public officers in the Ministry. The package reportedly consisted of an envelope that contained a threatening note and a bullet. However, further details regarding the circumstances of the alleged incident were not forthcoming until now. Upon opening the envelope, which was addressed to the official, we were told, the official allegedly discovered a matchbox, and inside the matchbox, there was a 9-millimeter bullet. But there's more. Allegedly written on the underside flap of the envelope was a death threat in Spanish. It reportedly read "Compensa bien or muere", which, when translated, means "pay up well or die."

BODY OF GIRL, 7, FOUND IN THE BELIZE RIVER
The unrelenting search of the National Coast Guard search team ended with the discovery of the body of Chelsie Smith, 7, of Sandhill Village, at about 10:10 this morning, the third day of a search mission to recover the missing girl's remains. Smith's body was found in the Isabella Bank Village river, less than 2 miles from where she disappeared under the water at about 11:00 Sunday morning while swimming with her family. A post-mortem was conducted on site to certify the cause of her death, and afterwards, Smith was taken to her hometown village of Sandhill, where she was buried today. Carol Leslie, a family member who was in the boat along with the Coast Guard divers, said that at about 10:10 this morning, the boat was moving slowly along the river and they were looking both ways when the Coast Guard diver saw something on the edge of the river, near the bushes.

FIRE DESTROYS HOUSE IN THE CITY - 7 HOMELESS
A family of seven is now homeless after a fire completely destroyed their house and household furnishings at about 10:30 Tuesday night, August 27. The two-flat timber house was located in Bootsville in the Fabers Road Extension area in Port Loyola. The family is now seeking public assistance. Rose Williams, the owner of the house, told Amandala that about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, she was in the upper flat of her house watching television, when she smelled smoke and felt heat coming from the lower flat, which contained three rooms that were occupied by her children. When she looked outside, she saw fire coming from the lower flat and realized that her house was burning. She and her daughter quickly rushed outside and went down to try to put out the fire, but it quickly spread out of control and the house became engulfed in flames.

FORMER FFB PRESIDENT, BERTIE CHIMILIO, TAKEN TO COURT FOR TAX ARREARS
The former president of the Football Federation of Belize (FFB), Bertie Chimilio, 55, was summoned to court today for proceedings initiated by the Income Tax Department, which has gone after him for taxes, over $30,000, that he allegedly owes from his tenure as FFB president. Chimilio appeared before Magistrate Leslie Hamilton, where he was informed that the Income Tax Department is seeking its share of revenue from him for income he earned while he was the president of FFB. Chimilio, who was unrepresented in court, told the magistrate that he received a letter from the department in May of last year, asking him to come in to their offices to discuss his "tax situation". He said he went in and spoke with a woman named Ann Castillo, who scribbled notes on a piece of paper as he explained his situation to her. According to Chimilio, after that very lengthy conversation, Castillo explained to him that they would be seeking their share of the revenues and that they filled out some forms, which Castillo told him she would forward to her superiors, then she would get in contact with him to let him know how they would proceed.

FOOTBALL SUPERSTAR IAN "YELLOW" GAYNAIR RECEIVES NEW PARCEL OF LAND
Two weeks ago, on August 14, news surfaced that Belizean football superstar Ian "Yellow" Gaynair, had been stripped of a piece of land in the Lake Independence area that had been given to him in 2006. Gaynair's lease approval for his house lot on Holy Emmanuel Street had been cancelled by the Lands Department and issued to someone from Corozal, who was in the process of getting a title for the land. Gaynair was of course disappointed, because he had made costly efforts to fill and develop the parcel, since it was originally swampland. When the issue of the cancellation of the lease first aired on KREM Radio, Lake-I area representative, Hon. Mark King, took offense and threatened to sue KREM. This was because King felt that the reports were insinuating that he had something to do with the land being taken away. It turns out that the land lease was revoked by the Lands Department because the celebrated football star had fallen behind in paying his taxes.

NTUCB CHALLENGES GOB ON PAC REFORM
The National Trade Union Congress of Belize (NTUCB) is digging in its heels, as it continues to press the Barrow administration for what it maintains is much needed reform of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC). "The NTUCB concedes that while the Standing Orders do not presently [contain] a provision for the restructuring of the Public Accounts Committee; in the past, provisions were made for constitutional changes to accommodate nationalization of companies, as well as making changes to the composition of the Senate. Oh yes! Real precedence does exist to advance such a matter, as is being proposed for PAC!" said the Congress, in a statement released after its meeting this week. It also indicated that contrary to assertions by Prime Minister Dean Barrow that the PAC's present composition reflects the balance of power in the House, this is not the case. The PUP has two seats (33%) and the UDP four seats (or 67%) on PAC, while the UDP has only 55% of the seats in the House and the PUP 45%.

WILL PAC RISE FROM THE DEAD?
National Assembly will be cordoned off for next Wednesday's meeting, National Assembly advises Eddie Webster, the Clerk of the National Assembly, has confirmed to Amandala that the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) is set to meet inside the Committee Room of the National Assembly on Wednesday, September 4, 2013, following a request made by PAC Chairman, Julius Espat, Opposition member for Cayo South, to convene a meeting. However, Espat's proposed agenda - the review of the 2010-2011 report of the Auditor General - is expected to be a source of contention between the two rival political factions which comprise the Committee. "I have gotten information that they will do everything possible to block it," said Espat, referring to his call to look at the most recently tabled Audit Report. The Office of the Prime Minister has recently issued a statement, indicating that while it agrees with the resumption of PAC meetings, the audit reviews should not only include the reports under this United Democratic Party administration - but reach back in time to excavate those old reports that had never been touched by the Public Accounts Committee.

RESPECT, RUSSELL CZARNECKI Letters
- by Russell Czarnecki Dear Editor, In Belize, the political misconduct (now there's an understatement!) of the previous (PUP) administration and the total lack of transparency inherent in the current gang of thieves (UDP), would seem to support the notion that voting for the lesser of two evils is really no choice at all. When it comes to feeding at the public trough and using the National Treasury as their personal piggy bank, both of these oligarchies exhibit contempt for the people they govern and indifference to the fact that due to their shameless corruption Belize will never be part of the international community. Whenever I rail against corruption in Belize, the first thing Belizians are apt to point out - probably because I'm an American - is how this is also true in the U.S. Fair enough, there's certainly no shortage of political improprieties, ranging from the incomprehensibly baroque criminality found on Wall Street to the long and tawdry list with which we're all familiar, comprised of bribery, racketeering, fraud, tax evasion and every form of malfeasance imaginable.

EDISON STAINE WRITES FROM NEW YORK Letters
By the time this letter reaches readers, the day and the time for the September Celebrations would have been set by the September Celebrations Commission (when did this become a Commission?) and taken to St. George's Caye. (First Capital?) It was the late Philip Goldson, one of our National Heroes, who said, standing on the steps of the Supreme Court, "September should be Celebrations Month, because we commemorate two historic events and should be done in grand style." 1994 was the year and Derek Aikman, as City Manager, was the Chairman of the September Celebrations Committee and it was he who initiated the first grand entertainment. I recall how about 100 schoolchildren, all dressed in white, moved up and down while singing, "I believe I can fly," in the presence of the Queen of the Bay, and hundreds of spectators in front of the Supreme Court. The grand finale came when the Guest Speaker declared the opening, with the release of pigeons, balloons and confetti.

CRUMBS ARE INSULTING � Letters
- by Patricia Celenza Dear Editor, Wouldn't it be nice if we could wave a magic wand over Belize, and will all its people full and lucrative employment? It is what Belizeans ask for, and it is what Belizeans deserve - the dignity of steady work for which they are justly compensated. But there is nothing magical in the 1,000 jobs allegedly being promised by Norwegian Cruise Lines in southern Belize. Norwegian Cruise Lines-with its U.S. $50,000,000 budget to develop Harvest Caye as a Disney-like environment for its 4,000 passengers-will permanently destroy a pristine caye environment and adversely impact neighboring communities-for what? For 1,000 jobs that NCL only hints at providing but does not guarantee? Norwegian Cruise Lines-with its annual budget of U.S. $56,000,000 for marketing alone-a Goliath in a giant megabuck industry that holds all the cards and benefits only itself- can suggest perhaps 1,000 jobs for Belizeans? And who knows if it is even as many as 1,000 jobs?

FROM JACK AND VALERIE Letters
- by Jack McReynolds & Valerie Connaughton Dear Sir or Madam, I am writing to express my great concern about the creation of the large scale cruise ship facility proposed for the Southern part of your lovely nation. My wife and I have been visiting Placencia, Belize, for our Christmas holidays for the past five years. We have found it a marvelous place to which to escape, and we look forward to continuing this tradition. I should also mention that prior to our discovering this part of Belize we had spent this time in Europe - but found Belize to be a quieter and more relaxing place to spend the holidays. As we have grown more familiar with Belize and its people we have contemplated purchasing property for our eventual retirement. The news that the Belizean government is now considering this facility has had a severely negative impact upon our plans.

FOR COLIN BH, FROM RODGER Letters
- by Rodger Williams To: Colin bh There is a simple answer to your query made in the article entitled "Fish is the Golden Goose", that appeared in the August 25, 2013 edition of Amandala. You stated that "it is extremely difficult to understand how a country that is investing so much in tourism can't run with the sound advice of Dr. Gale about management of the fishing industry," the advice being to ban gill-net fishing. It is easy to understand why the Government won't run with the advice if one looks at the whole picture. Operations such as those contemplated for Norwegian Cruise Line at Harvest Caye; potentially have something in them for politicians. Banning gill nets, even though it may be more beneficial for the country, has nothing in it for the politicians. So why should they care?

Blogs

Good Eats: Four Meals a Day in Placencia, Belize is Not Enough, Part One
For a tiny village of only about 1000 people, Placencia in Southern Belize has more than its fair allotment of delicious food. Placencia has charm and food to spare. In fact I got so many suggestions about where to eat and where to drink that I'm going to return to continue eating�very soon. Here are some of the good eats you can find in Placencia. Though only there for two days, I found some of my favorites more than once. I've always been a dessert lover but I'm finding that if you eat a few of them, they are a great substitute for a meal. Who knew? My very first morning after a TORRENTIAL rainstorm all night long, I walked outside at 6:30am to a fresh brewed cup of coffee and some very friendly folks. I couldn't be happier to see Brewed Awakenings. It's good to know that I can get my go-to breakfast food anywhere in Belize. But Placencia, I'm sorry to say that based on my one sampling, San Pedro has got you beat in the dolla taco category. Good but not in my top 10!

Belizean Jerk Chicken
Now with the September celebrations coming up when a young (and mature) Belizean's fancy turns to barbeque, it's time for that that Belize outdoor favourite, and probably by far the oldest star in the Belize Recipe Book, jerk chicken. Now, many people think jerk seasoning is a Jamaican thing, but actually, it Caribbean wide, coming from early Amerindian staple ingredients. Over the years, as other cultures added their bits and pieces, jerk evolved from coast to coast and especially island to island, each country's just a little different to keep things interesting. In the case of Belize, the Maya influence is very apparent with the emphasis on allspice and chili, two things you see growing all over Belize. The romantic in us sees the Buccaneers adding the rum, and there's probably a specific cultural reference to each of the other spices listed below.

"I'm Coming Out" in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.
Please do not make any assumptions from the headline. Have patience. All will be revealed later! Up ridiculously early yesterday morning at 03.40 hours. Don't know why I woke so early because I didn't go to bed the previous night too early. One of life's mysteries? OK maybe not a mystery but it could rank as a puzzle couldn't it? With such an early 'up', and armed with the mandatory (well mandatory for me) mug of black coffee and my iPad I headed for the veranda and set about producing the edition I should have published on Wednesday and yesterday's edition. It wasn't too difficult to 'knock' the two editions out one after the over but it is not on my list of 'things to do again'! I tell a slight mistruth though because I did take a break or two. The first one was to catch up on the news via The Times online ( only to find out that Arsenal has re-signed Mathieu Flamini - blast).

International Sources

Mayan Ruins As Seen In Instagram Photos
The Mayan ruins that are peppered through Mexico (and throughout Belize, Guatemala, and present-day El Salvador) are heavily-touristed by people eager to learn the history of the people behind the ancient empire. Tulum, for better or worse, bears a brunt of the traffic thanks to its luscious, beach-side setting. Ruin-seekers will also likely make the trek to Chichen Itza, about two hours away. So leave it to Instagram to highlight some of the more breathtaking photos of these spots, among others. Check out some of the highlights below.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.