Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47154 01/14/02 06:20 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Does anyone have any feedback on the Blue Hole Dive Center?

#47155 01/15/02 01:19 AM
A
A
We used them while we were on AC over New Years. They are rumored to have a great set of scuba classes but we did not use them for that. The other function they serve is as a tour coordinator. They can sign you up for any activity on the island. However it was kind of a crap shoot as to who you got. We used them to book a couple of trips-- a Lamanai trip with (it turned out) Seaducded (great trip), a Hol Chan/ Shark Ray dive/snorkel, a Blue Hole Dive/snorkel with Amigo Del Mar ( I wrote about the Blue Hole experience in a thread called: "Trips to Atolls: one diver, one non-diver",
look it up if you want. An we also used them for a Mexico Rocks/Tres Cocos snorkel which had a great guide but a lousy boat--one of his outboards kept conking out and he rammed Ramon's dock when he picked us up.

Long story short, Blue Hole Dive Center is a convenience. You can arrange all the trips on your own, elsewhere, or directly with some of the companies (Amigo Del Mar or Seaducded for example). It was great to have everything planned and taken care of all at once, however, as I said above, it was a crap shoot. I would not go with the guy who took us to Mexico Rocks again nor would I go with the two guys who took us on the Hol Chan trip again (the Hol Chan trip had a great divemaster but a lousy snorkel guide).

To do over again, simply to have an idea of whom we were going to end up with on the water, I would not use Blue Hole again. I would book directly with whomever has the trip I want to go on.

Just my 2 cents. If you were looking for a critique of the scuba classes I sure didn't help you much!

#47156 01/15/02 03:26 AM
I met some people that had used Blue Hole Dive Center and they said they would not use them again. They said that there was nothing intrinsically wrong with them but all of their diving was done with Amigos so why should they be paying a middleman. They said that in the future they would just book directly with whomsoever they chose to work with instead of using Blue Hole Dive Centre.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#47157 01/15/02 12:02 PM
J
J
Check out Barefoot watersports/diving. They have all of their own boats, which are kept in good condition. They also can arrange any tour that you want! Great experience!

#47158 02/05/02 12:25 AM
N
N
Unfortunately, I just found this thread about Blue Hole Dive Center. We've already booked a hotel/dive pkg with them cause they offered a great deal staying at Coconuts and including an overnight dive at the Blue Hole and an atoll or two. I want to make sure we are diving with safe, experienced people. Both my husband and I are new to diving with just a few dives under our belt since certification. I thought Blue Hole Dive Center was a dive operator, not just a tour booker. Now I'm kinda worried, after what I've read here. Any suggestions for us? Like does anyone know if we can request specific dive operators, and if so, which ones we should ask for? Yeah yeah I know, I should've done this research before. But at least we're not under water yet.

#47159 02/05/02 12:45 AM
Well... I personally would ask them!
Did you already do the cash thing? If it's credit you may be able to cancel as we speak?!
Can't hurt to ask, request, or even cancel.
Ya best find someone your comfortable with. Take a bit of time and go door to door if ya have time to. OR... do a "search" on the board and request from there.
Anywho.... HAVE A GREAT TRIP!
Hope

#47160 02/05/02 01:03 AM
the folks that run Blue Hole are long time divers, they will take care of you well. they are friends with the folks at coconuts, and they probably do biz with them a lot.

have no fear.

#47161 02/05/02 10:01 AM
B
B
Marty is right they are long time divers, however they do not own any boats and contract all of their diving out to other operators. You may or may not dive with the same boat twice depending on how busy they are or who they are using at the time. Would suggest in the future you ask questions of the package provider if they actually provide the services or contract them out. You can also ask specifically who you will be diving with if they do contract it out.

Dawn www.barefootwatersports.net

#47162 02/05/02 02:49 PM
K
K
Well I think that's about all the misinformation I can handle for now. I have refrained from posting to this board because, as a business owner, my "opinions" may be interpreted as advertising.

This board is intended as a free exchange of ideas and opinions. Unfortunately many users have a personal agenda, or, even worse, have completely uninformed opinions to offer. If someone has a legitimate complaint against us then by all means voice your opinion.

Alcmaeon has a legitimate beef in that the boat was not running properly. Boats break down. This isn't an excuse, it's simply a fact. I'm sure Dawn will agree with that after what she's been through with her boat. What isn't mentioned is that the trip was during the busiest week of the year when people were clamoring for trips, and we were able to provide one. If alcmaeon was less than satisfied then we apologize, but I don't recall it ever being mentioned to me personally.

Seashell offers an "opinion" based on second hand information. Would you buy stock based on information like this? If you would, please send me $20 right away.

Denverdan, have we met? Have you ever dived with us? To suggest that someone cancel based on the posts to this thread is irresponsible to the extreme! Yes, everyone has the right to dive with whomever they choose, and to request any information they require, but you do the readers of this board a great disservice to suggest that your "opinion" is based any kind of factual basis or experience.

And while I'm at it, jkdiver, enough with the Barefoot commercials already. If you want to advertise buy a sign! If we're such poor company then why did Barefoot drop off a new price list last week? Could it be they want us to contract to them?

NewBelgeezer, I'm a little taken aback by the tone of your post. When we corresponded, were your emails answered promptly and honestly? Was the package offered at a reasonable price? Have you looked elsewhere for opinions about us? I would refer you to current independent reviews in Lonely Planet, Rough Guide or Footprints. All give us high marks for quality service and honest advice. If you have specific questions about safety, boats, dive masters, or emergency equipment onboard I'd be happy to answer you personally.

The fact is this; Blue Hole Dive Center has been in operation for over 10 years and my wife and I have been the owners for the past 2 years. We provide diving and tour services to thousands of divers yearly. Anyone who thinks I'm exaggerating can come and see my customer record sheets. If we serve thousands yearly, and if the posts on this thread are the worst people have to say about us, well, quite frankly, that ain't bad! We work hard to satisfy our customers by offering a good, safe service, reasonable prices and MAXIMUM flexibility.

Yes we contract diving and charter boats for our guests. We use only reliable, licensed guides who we personally know and dive with. This means you can get the trip when you want it, not when the operator wants you to go.

Do we satisfy 100% of the people who visit us? No. If your business does then please share your secret. However, 99% of our guests shake my hand when they leave. Not bad when you consider the vast number of different expectations that walk through our door every year. Throw in weather and you can begin to appreciate how we offer our guests a flexibility that other operators can't.

NewBelgeezer, since you ask, I've been diving for nearly 20 years. I'm military trained, I'm a NAUI instructor( trained by military and RCMP instructors), I'm trained as a Public Safety Diver, I've taught diving and run a charter operation in Canada, I was a commercial diver (hardhat surface supplied stuff, under the ice), and I've produced underwater documentaries for TV and been involved with a number of underwater archaeology projects around the world. The reason I didn't respond to this thread yesterday was because I was actually out diving with a large group of guests from Mexico. Repeat visitors who plan to return in two weeks. They're not coming back because I'm witty and charming. They're coming back because we are a safe, experienced operation that offers a great experience at fair market value. Tomorrow I'm diving again to teach a photo course. How many owners actually go diving regularly?

Well, that's it. Have at me then. I've stated our position for the record and I don't plan to post again. As I stated at the beginning of my little rant, this board is for opinions and I don't want my opinions confused with thinly veiled advertisements or mudslinging. We don't have to fish for compliments or trash our competition to feel good about ourselves. We're too busy taking care of our many customers.

If anyone has specific questions my name is Kent Gardner and my email is [email protected], or you can reach my through our web site at www.bluedive.com.

Here endith the lesson.

#47163 02/05/02 03:21 PM
J
J
Kent,

I only want to say that I believe in promoting businesses that I have dealt with if I am happy with the service. I am sure if I had dove with Blue Hole, then everyone would have been tired of me mentioning them. I have never said you were a poor company!

I also say good things about The Palms because I stayed there and had good service.

[This message has been edited by jkdiver (edited 02-05-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.