BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
HI, I am Canadian artist Paul Sandilands... I have decided to close my gallery business and art academy and relocate to Belize, everything I have read sounds like paradise [to me].

I'll be renting accommodation for the for the 6 months till I decide where in the country I want to live.

I am a prolific painter in all mediums.. I also teach art in all mediums.
I am also a photographer and have traveled the world , should you wish to take a look just check my name in the FINEARTAMERICA website, PLEASE don't buy smile I am in the midst of changing my online representation... it's just to see , [ thanks ]
My wife Martha and I are from just outside of Toronto in a city called Oakville, we are wrapping up our lives here and I must say the entanglement is unbelievable.
sell, house, cars, business etc etc etc WOW!
We are both in our early sixties and have decided the pace must slow
if you know what I mean.
Just FYI, I am a professional artist and I have an archaeology degree in meso american studies, I was trained to be an archaeological artist originally so Belize makes great sense for me

I ma looking forward to coming ASAP and have decided to try my first 6 months in the north end of Belize close to the Mexican Border.
BTW I also LOVE to fish, shore fishing being my favourite.. I am really looking forward to that so any advice or comment is welcome [on anything ]
PS. I was told of another artist on this forum named Last name Cooper? I would like to contact her about art related things.. supplies etc. does anyone know her?

see you soon

D
D
I started out in an isolated spot in Belize and had a hard time adjusting.
It held me back in my first days.
I met many others who made the same mistake, but unlike them I came back and settled in a village and abandoned my homestead.
In the checklist of moves that make it harder to make it in Belize you will also find.
"Get rid of everything in Canada and ship a big load to Belize"
Might I suggest that you come here with a light bag and travel the country staying in places for several months at a time and then go back to regroup, if you haven't done that already.
In my experience about one person in a hundred makes it in Belize over time.
You guys seem different because you are asking local advice on this board. Consulting other expats who made it is the surest way to success.
We have seen over a thousand in 35 years who came to live and are now gone.

Last edited by Dane; 09/02/13 11:22 AM.
C
OP Offline
C
thank you I hope it will be fabulous, but I have no expectations and do not want to move my Canadian life to Belize, I expect to ask and live a different lifestyle. Hopefully this will be the spot I stick to, BUT I realise it may be another place in Belize or even another country eventually.

cheers

Paul

D
D
Debbie can tell you more but there is shortage of artists in many of the galleries. Creating work for sale is a new thing in Belize in most media.
Zericote Carved ships and dolphins are cool. I have some but that is not enough.
I much prefer Coopers work, though she is quite modest about it. I display two pieces by her in my house in Maui.
And Nelson Youngs work of course.
If you hope to make a living as a gallery artist I think there are some prospects in Belize.
Bonne Chance in your new adventure.

C
OP Offline
C
thank you , but no, I wont be doing the gallery walk smile as I am fully represented in brick and mortar and online galleries.
as I said I am retiring, and do not need a cash flow from my work.. but thanks for the Info. MUCH appreciated, but after 47 years full time painting.. time to just paint for me LOL smile

I will painting a lot but most will be to pre-commitments.
so Now, I paint for me and fun.... which is why I am coming to Belize smile

D
D
Cool. Your talents will enrich us.
I am part of the Ocean Academy high school on Caye Caulker. Our kids would welcome a visit anytime.
They are starved for culture unless texting the answers to the Art final counts.

Last edited by Dane; 09/02/13 08:16 PM.
C
C
I am an artist and have lived on Caye Caulker for 13 years. I bring in all of my supplies from the U.S. But then again, I do specialty painting, which is hand painted silk. Angelus Press has a limited selection of art supplies, I have seen more in acrylics there than oil. You are better off bringing down what you will need, either in your suitcase, shipping it, or mailing it to yourself. Pack light in every other way, except make sure you bring good quality sandals.

C
C
Debbie Cooper here, from Danes post. Thank God you just want to retire and enjoy life. The market here for fine art is almost non existent. The opportunity to teach and mentor may exist.Most art sold here is bought as souvenirs. We started selling art here 12 yrs ago in 2001, through Galleries on the mainland and did very well so 3 yrs later we moved here full time. The first 5 yrs or so we did really well, the last few yrs we still do well, better than most but we now work 12 hrs a day 7 days a week to make it work, we have found some very talented artist in small villages and sell their art as well. We are in our 60b and we think we are going to faze out in the next few yrs. So may be I can do what you are planning to do. I know the schools here, The High School on Caye Caulker would love to add an art class to their curriculum. I was scheduled to do that yrs ago but could not work in the time to do so. At this time in my life I would love to do just that. So if you can bring that to this country, to teach and mentor and not need to make a living here, yes, please, please, come.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
C
OP Offline
C
count me in, for teaching the kids.. I'll email you as soon as I get settled..

C
OP Offline
C
absolutely.. kids always are taught free, soon as I settle, count me in...I don't know the distances and such yet but I will be in the north end of the country initially for awhile. but I figure the children will be happy to be taught regardless..:) and NO.. I am not planning to "work" except for myself smile as in retired. Fishing and painting are what I do and after 40 years of painting and teaching I would like to do it in Belize time.. and what I have heard that is just how I will like it.. s..l..o..w..
and I already have gallery representation up here.. as long as they aren't demanding.. I can still fed ex smile LOL and I am looking forward to see new vista's NO MORE SNOW!!
www.artgalaxy.com

Last edited by canuckartist; 09/03/13 09:17 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day