Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#471896 - 09/05/13 06:27 AM Mas Camp Madness Is On
Marty Offline
The Belize City Carnival Road March will be held in ten days, and right now, feverish last minute preparations are underway at all the city’s Mass Camps. As we found out, it is a process to get costumes and carnival spirit just right. Monica Bodden visited last night….

"Monica Bodden reporting
With carnival only days away - the carnival fever is warming up as these bands finish up the last minute touches on their costumes and perfect their dance moves. Last night our yearly carnival mass camp coverage began with the first 3 stops being 2 junior bands and one senior.

Ian Young - Member, Sunshine Masquerades
"For this year we are going under the theme, as you can see protecting our natural resources. This year we have two queens and one king, however we have the group into order. First we have the forest group, which will be led by Queen Shateya, this is the one I designed, this is my group. The designers are myself, and my two sisters. We did the designing and my Mom did the designing and the gluing and the sticking, so that is pretty much it for the forest group. Queen Shateya is the protector of the forest and is named after the Shate, there types of Chate that we have but Queen Shateya is doing the fish tail shate and in between we also have some little BDFs who are just walking around to show which depicts our theme as protecting. Then behind the Queen, we have Queenities, which is a representation of the forest fire that destroys the forest and also a representation of the Guatemalans that come in and take the Chatte so pretty much Queen is destruction, so we are depicting two things this year for King. Behind King which is a little non fictional is Queen Tatiana, who is the Queen of all Fairies. The fairies are responsible for their purity, for rejuvenating and replenishing the forest after King has passed through. The fairies are not seen so where there’s little human activity, you will find these fairies. Only when destruction takes place in the forest, because when these Guatemalans come in they kill our scarlet macaw, our toucan, our tapir and they eat these things; they take our Chate and they sell it for floral arrangements and these different things so the fairies now, they are responsible to come back into the forest and start re-growth."

And these revelers who will be wearing the costumes seemed well energized and ready for the road march.

Our next stop was at the Soca Warriors carnival mass camp – where these adults were not one bit camera shy one bit as they gyrated to a playlist of soca music while the camera rolled.

Jason Belisle - Soca Warriors Band Leader
"We went patriotic, we're basing on independence of the flag and also on the country of Belize."

Monica Bodden
"How many Revelers?"

Jason Belisle
"We have 90 right now, still counting. Our theme is 'Belize fu me, Independence fu you, wave you flag with 32."

"What has been the support in terms of sponsorship for your group?"

Jason Belisle
"Very bad, I'll be honest, everything that we do right now, what we did is from our own pocket."

And our last stop was at the Trench Town Masquerades carnival mas camp. It’s their first year in carnival and they plan on bring their A-game while doing what they love.

Patricia Flores -Trench Town Masquerades
"Trenchtown Masqueraders, you know how we got our name right? "Everybody knows that. Before here had even tried to name the street, Trenchtown was the one big area back here."

"Now, one of the surprising things we saw was that we don't see all the masqueraders, tell us how much are they and how comes we are not seeing them all reveling for the judges.?'

Patricia Flores
"Okay, we are a new band and most of my people are working. I have some people coming from too far in buses so I didn't force them to be here. I think carnival is about fun, the judges coming over to see the costume, I think carnival day is mostly where the revelers are important. "My carnival band this year, I am bringing back the old Belize celebration because trust me, Belize has too much crime, too much negativity, violence, blood shed everyday, every night I mean. They almost ruin the celebration for this year; we didn't even know if we were having carnival. From five until now carnival wasn't like this, I mean, you were able to put on anything, get out there, enjoy yourself, nobody fighting, nobody wanting to burst your head. Around these times carnival is killing, I mean if everybody loves carnival as much as I do, you should know, carnival is about fun, there shouldn't be any kind of violence, no kind of fighting, nothing like that. If you love carnival, you will feel the way I do, whether they come or whether they don't, seventy five, seventy five not, I am out there."

And, tonight, Monica is visiting another four camps – we’ll have that story for you tomorrow.

Channel 7

#471962 - 09/06/13 04:40 AM Re: Mas Camp Madness Is On [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Mas Camp Mayhem In The Streets

And the mas camp madness continued last night. Here’s what Monica Bodden found when she went to the camps:…

Monica Bodden reporting
Day 2 of carnival mas camps and our first stop was right in our neighbourhood at the Black Pearl carnival band.

Dorla Vaughan - Band Leader
"I'm preparing the St. George's Caye day, Independence Day and Carnival Day. The St. George's Caye day with be the white and silver - the Independece day colors, Red, White and Blue and most of all we have the Carnival section which is all color."

Monica Bodden
"So you have how many sections?"

Dorla Vaughan
"I have three sections."

Monica Bodden
"Tell me, how did you come up with this idea?"

Dorla Vaughan
"Well we just sat down and talked about it - we know this year is the 32nd year for the Independence so I said I will give it a try because this is my 25th year in Carnival also. It seems that the sponsors are capturing the senior bands and leaving the kids behind and they are the future of tomorrow. On carnival day - they will see the kids and they will be properly attired, they will not be wearing any skimp clothing."

And for Pickstock carnival band, they are doing it even bigger this year. With over a hundred revellers and 5 costume sections – they plan on highlighting colors beyond the imagination.

Gary Gill - Band Leader
"This is the first we have ever had five sections. Pickstock consists of 102 members strong and for this year our team is - the elements of Nature. We try to do things a little bit different - we decided to go colorful -all the different colors in different sections. Thanks to Mr. Elrington, Belize Waste Control, Belize City Coucil, KHMH, Fantasy 5, Loans to Go, Simon Quan, Joseph and Taylor and Cuello's Distillery Ltd - we wouldn't have made it possible but these people came out for us and we want to big them up to the end, especially Loan to Go. We have a lot of volunteers who come out to help us, to come and stick something - that is what I like about my neighbors because they always consistently give our band and they never ever take their children out of our bands to go to other bands. They are with Pickstock and they say that they will die with Pickstock - so Pickstock all the way."

"The elements of nature - tell us about the different segments."

Gary Gill
"Elements of nature consist of nature, things that we see everyday in our life - we have the Sun, the Clouds, the Water, Hurricane then after the Hurricane we have the beautiful rainbow that sprouts out in different colors."

Next stop was at Jump Street Posse Mas Camp where these revellers ranging from age 5 to 17 gave us a taste of the carnival spirit. With almost 30 years of experience in carnival, Marina Welcome who is the band owner continues to keep her carnival passion alive, despite the financial challenges.

Marina Welcome - Band Leader
"It's hard to tell the kids NO - when they catch the bus and they come behind here 'Ms. Marina is Jump Street coming out this year' and it's so much of them and it's hard for me to say no. We are facing a little problem with the schools, they have to realize it's only once a year - the kids need to have fun and I don't think we're doing anything wrong with Carnival - the dances are perfect for the kids, the clothing - everything is perfect, so please release the kids so that they can have fun; it's only once a year and it's only one day."

"I know Ms Marina when it comes to Carnival, you're always portraying an event that is affecting our society or icons of our society - what are you doing this year?"

Marina Welcome
"Our theme this year is Belizean Legacy and it's in the memory of my main man - Andy Palacio. It's all about Belize, we have the Belizean jewel, that's Belize itself - our second section is all about the Garifuna - you can't go wrong because they are recognized in Belize. We know about November 19th, so we are doing the re-enactment for November 19th because they came back to Belize in 1802 and that is when all that started. It's going to be so different this year because I know for November 19th, Christmas and New Years - everybody enjoyed the two foot cowboy so we're doing the two foot cow - carnival style."

"This weekend is the King and Queen Competition at the Roger's stadium - how ready is jump street posse without giving out secrets about your king and queen participating."

Marina Welcome
"Hey, Jump Street Posse is an open camp - we don't care who see and who knows because trust me, they won't take the time and do these. We have an open camp and everybody is welcome as long as they don't come and cause any problem. We are ready for Saturday except for one costume, but trust me by tomorrow night something is going to happen and we'll be there. We're doing two queens and two kings for Saturday."

And last but not least on our list of visits for the night was Eternity Mas Band. It’s the senior band 7th year in carnival – and they plan on being no different in brining the hype come carnival day.

Misty Williams - Band Leader
"This year we're portraying a fantasy - we wanted to expand and explore the mind - we wanted spot colors and that's what we came up with. We have a passion section - we have to have that passion and that feeling to compete or to at least try to reach the fantasy - we have the fantasia section which is really summarizing the fantasy."

Monica Bodden
"Tell us how many revelers you guys have?"

Misty Williams
"We have 85 revelers."

Monica Bodden
"You have space for more?"

Misty Williams
"We are trying not to but if it comes to that then we'll just take them."

Monica Bodden
"Are these revelers ready for the road march?"

Misty Williams
"We are definitely ready as always."

Monica Bodden
"Tell us a little bit about sponsorship - how has that been?"

Misty Williams
"It was not as good as last year - we got a late sponsor 'Carib' but nonetheless it is something and we just came together and put our stuff and we did a little fund raising and here we are."

Tonight is the last night for the carnival Mas camp visits. The 4 senior bands that our team will be visiting are Belizean Jewel, Evolution Mas Band, Mother Nature’s Creation and Erotic Mas Band.

Channel 7

#472196 - 09/10/13 06:00 AM Re: Mas Camp Madness Is On [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Choreographed Craziness Of Carnival King & Queen Competition

All last week we showed you the Carnival Mas Camps - a crazy mash-up of the most delicate and detailed costume preparation alongside dance moves that are simultaneously raw and rehearsed. Indeed, carnival is a study in contrasts: elaborate, painstakingly put together costumes that are meant to be appreciated not in a show-window, but on the streets, in the kinetic craziness of carnival day.

That craziness though is not a one day thing; it’s like a tsunami that slowly swells, cresting only on carnival day. We get a chance to ride the wave at a few dates before it crashes unto the streets. The carnival King and Queen is one of them where all the big costumes are rolled out for a real time dress rehearsal. Here’s how this year’s event went:

Daniel Ortiz reporting
The 2013 Carnival King and Queen Competition was all about grandeur. The costume entries were elaborate with razor sharp attention to details, and elaborate, carefully chosen colors.

Leroy Green - Sr. King, Mother Nature's Creation
"This costume took about a month to finish because if you notice, all these stones were put on one at a time. The decorations at the back, you had to get under the costume and pin them on - it took quite a bit of time."

But most of all, the costumes dwarfed the contestants wearing them.

Leroy Green
"You do not dance a costume, you play a costume so since this is a 'wedding' - there is no need for me to be jumping and doing all of that - that would be defeat the whole purpose. All I have to do is just rock it to show it's flexibility."

Shanena Merritt - Sr. Queen, Mother Nature's Creation
"While I'm on the stage, it's all about the costume - the mobility, the flexibility and everything else - just keep a smile on your face and just move around."

Vanessa Williams - Sr. Queen, Mother Nature's Creation
\ "All I need to do is strap it on me as much as possible and just rock it to my belief and just give the viewers what they came here for." Even with the elaborate design, each contestant knew exactly what their creations were portraying:

Leroy Green
"The four of Mother Natures costumes are here tonight, combined they are representing a wedding ceremony. I am actually the groom and I am king Golo - I am the son of Aaron, who is the Arawak Mayan spirit god of love."

Sebastian Nunez Jr. - Sr. King, Mother Nature's Creation
"I am king Aaron, it's a combination spirit of god and love and the prosperity."

Shanena Merritt
"My name is queen Labela - I am the goddess of the wedding bells, I'm a spiritual goddess

The next big event is Carnival day and we’ll have that live here on channel 7…

Channel 7

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.