Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#471983 - 09/06/13 06:16 AM Today's Belize News: September 6, 2013
Marty Online   happy

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Kent ‘Bob’ Gabourel wins annual Lionman triathlon in Belize City
Kent Gabourel, local triathlete, dominated in the 14th annual Lionman Triathlon held on Sunday, September 1st. 33-year-old Gabourel placed first in the individual male category, and first in the top 10 finishers. But Gabourel was not the only San Pedro athlete to make his mark at the Lionman Triathlon; Jordan Santos also took first place in the junior category. The Lionman Triathlon started at the Sandlighters Promenade in Belize City. Over 46 athletes came prepared to go the distance and complete a 1500 meter swim, a 24 mile cycle ride and a 16 mile run to win the grand championship. The race was divided into five categories: individual male, individual female, junior, masters and relay team. The Lionman Triathlon is a test to the endurance and stamina of the athletes, and since its inception in 2000, has been a highly anticipated September Celebration Calendar event.

An Open Letter to the Prime Minister from Past BTIA Presidents
As six past presidents of the Belize Tourism Industry Association, we have participated in our industry’s growth from its struggling infancy to its present status as the nation’s largest employer and earner of foreign exchange. While there have been a few setbacks along the way, there has always been an understanding between the industry, the government of the day and indeed, the growing number of visitors to Belize, that Belize’s tourism product was “something special”, that its appeal was based not only on its world class natural attractions, but on the uniqueness and authenticity of our people and way of life. This is what marketers refer to as a unique selling proposition, the thing that makes a product stand out above the competition and get noticed, and this has undeniably played a large part in Belize’s success. Along with the thousands of people who make up Belize’s vibrant tourism industry, we are concerned that Government’s recent decision to authorize a cruise port on Harvest Caye in southern Belize runs counter to this long established understanding and diminishes Belize’s unique status as a true eco-tourism destination.

Letter to the Editor from Mr. Ramon Nuñez
I have been silent all this time, but now I am feeling better and I want to share my feelings with the world. I have been at Ramon’s Village for the past 32 years of my life; Ramon’s is my home, and my baby. Ramon’s means the world to me. [The fire] was like taking away a toy from a little kid. I built Ramon’s in 1981 with some investors from the Meridian, and we decided to name it Ramon’s Reef Resort. We opened on the 21st of September 1981; by the way the 21st will be our 32nd anniversary! Lots of work and lots of effort, but it’s worth it. When we opened Ramon’s, we only had 10 cabanas, a restaurant and a bar; the hotel was very rustic. The rate at Ramon’s was at $35.00US with 3 meals. In 1987 I was having trouble with the bank and the investor had lost interest in the hotel and I decided to sell. God gave me the strength to keep going, and it was there where I met the nicest person in the world. I was sitting in front of the bar at Ramon’s and I saw this person walking with his backpack right at me and I told him, “Welcome to the world of make Belize.”

$6 million Fort Point Pedestrian Walk inaugurated
The Ministry of Tourism and Culture held the official inauguration ceremony for the recent renovation of the Memorial Park and its access streets in Belize City. The event took place this past Saturday, August 31st and saw the presence of various tourism stakeholders. The historic park is dedicated to the veterans and victims of World War I and was renamed the Fort Point Pedestrian Walk. The rehabilitation of the park was done through the Ministry of Tourism and Culture’s Sustainable Development Project (STP) financed through a loan from the Inter-American Development Bank. The brand new facility cost Belize $6 million dollars, an investment made with the intention to change the downtown tourism image of the old capital. “Belize City has always served as the commercial capital of our country and as a result has played a central role in our development. Historically, the mouth of Haulover Creek, the Old Belize Port and the water front has served at the center for trade and a place for social gathering… this six million Belize dollar investment we see today is just a start in realizing the vision we all have for Belize City. It is not only clean streets, renovated buildings, revitalized parks and infrastructure that make a destination – it is more importantly about the local people,” said Minister of Tourism and Culture Manuel Heredia Jr. in delivering the key address. According to Minister Heredia, the Fort Point Pedestrian Walk will benefit the over 3,000 Belizeans employed in the tourism industry and the more than 500 residents in the Fort George area.

Belize in You, Belize in Me, Land of the Free!
September is the one month of the year that Belizeans at home and abroad eagerly await; it is the month of celebration, of patriotism and fun. Trust Belizeans to take one day – September 21st – and make it a month-long bacchanal! Belize September Celebrations-4At a mere 32 years, Belize is a relatively young country, but its history is rich and glorious. From the glory of our Baymen ancestors to the political struggle towards independence, it all culminates with the ultimate of celebrations that bring that joy alive, no matter the culture, creed or religion. For almost a full month, there are parties, pomp and circumstance, and that sense of pride in being Belizean. No-one does it quite like us!

Ambergris Today

Belize Goes To London on Marketing Campaign
While the Belize Tourism Belize (BTB) continues to grow its primary markets, North America and Canada, it is also streaming ahead with the ground work needed to tap into the UK market, and by extension, Europe. Less than a month ago, the BTB collaborated with GlobActive Travel Marketing to carry our multiple road shows in London. To stimulate travel from these markets to Belize, the BTB hopes to foster relationships existing travel trade partners, as well as to increase awareness about Belize’s tourism offerings. The road shows were conducted with each agency in the format of sales calls in personalized settings. The appointments featured a comprehensive presentation on Belize, coupled with collateral distribution, and tailored training sessions, in an effort to share and learn more about Belize’s product offerings. The delegation met with over 20 of the UK’s top travel agencies, including Black Tomato, Naturally Belize, Kuoni, Thomas Cook and Chimu Adventures.

Misc Belizean Sources

COROZAL STREET & ROAD CONDITIONS
At the Corozal Daily, we don’t usually like to engage in reports that seem political or deemed as a criticism. We think it is counter-productive but there must be a time when we need to address burning issues. So, as a daily commuter on our streets and roads, I have to join the thousands of crossed sentiments from the rest of the Corozal community in the most critical issue affecting our community today. The fast degradation of our streets and roads are taking a toll on our vehicles, motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians, etc. In the tourism business, we say that our first impression is our lasting impression. Corozal is considered the most important trading point between Belize and Mexico. The number of tourist arrivals who rent vehicles coming all the way from Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum and other parts of Mexico to visit the Free Zone and the rest of the country is in the thousands.

Papaya volume to be adequate
Fall supplies of Belize papayas should be consistent, said Peter Leifermann, director of sales and fruit procurement for Brooks Tropicals LLC, Homestead, Fla. Liefermann and other shippers say the fruit represents a growth item in retail stores. He said Brooks is enjoying a record year with its Caribbean Red-labeled variety and is seeing high demand from retailers promoting the fruit through aggressive merchandising. “Production is increasing every month of the year,” Leifermann said. “We expect it to continue well through the fall and into the winter. There will be multiple opportunities for retailers to promote papaya throughout the fall.” While Brooks’ growers send fruit throughout the year, supplies are heaviest July through March. Because of drier weather, the natural variations in production during lower-producing summer months typically don’t exceed volume declines of 10%, Leifermann said. - See more at: http://www.thepacker.com/fruit-vegetable-news/marketing-profiles/Papaya-volume-to-be-adequate-222574311.html#sthash.Qwht451a.dpuf

Senior Steps Patriotic Video
Senior Steps, based in Belmopan, took second place in NICH's Patriotic Video contest with their entry, 'We Believe in Belize.' That means Cayo won all 3 spots in the competition. Well done, Senior Steps! "The senagers of Belmopan Senior Steps showed that they are really young at heart and created a fun atmosphere for the students in attendance. Belmopan Senior Steps RAP 2013"

Contributors to Benque Exhibit
The Benque House of Culture will be launching their next exhibit tday, September 6th, at 7:00pm. The exhibit will focus on six people that contributed to the development of Benque over the years. Benque is the new tourism spot in Belize since it's known for its unique culture and history. The Benque HoC is also celebrating it's 12th anniversary. Congratulations! "Join us as we unveil the Exhibition 'Contributors to the development of Benque,' come and learn how, and what has molded this community in the early years of our beloved Benque Viejo. 6 Distinguished personalities will be highlighted in this 1st edition"

Channel 7

Acting PM Saldivar Says Cabinet Supports Stake Bank
Last night on the news we told you all about the Stake Bank Cruise Tourism Project, and its sister development, the Ocean View Grand On North Drowned Caye. Developer Mike Feinstein says it will cost 100 million dollars, while creating thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars in economic activity. But from what we’ve heard, Government is not quite convinced – and some at the policy level worry that Stake Bank might just be moving a lot of jobs and economic activity from the Fort Point area of the City to an offshore island that has non taxable EPZ status. That’s the feedback we have gotten, but today acting Prime Minister John Saldivar told us that the project has Cabinet’s support:… Jules Vasquez "Does government agree with the State Bank project?" Hon. John Saldivar - Acting Prime Minister "We certainly welcome the concept, we welcome the investors that are trying to put this project off the ground but as with everything else - they need to go by the rules and they have to do their EIA's and once they pass through the various processes - then it's a go."

BTIA Presidents Write
And while Stake Bank is the hot button issue, the Belize Tourism Industry Association wants to keep reminding the public about Harvest Caye and the Norwegian Cruise Line’s proposal which already has the green light from the Government of Belize. In an open letter sent to the Prime Minister, 6 of BTIA’s past presidents write lamenting that they’ve participated from the infancy of the country’s tourism industry to its present status as the largest employer and earner of foreign exchange. It that first-hand experience, the past presidents note their concern that the Government authorized the cruise port on Harvest Caye. The 6 reiterate the main point that this decision is the complete opposite to long-standing idea that Southern Belize is principally looked at as a true eco-tourism destination. They also mention that the decision, quote “violates the Ministry of Tourism’s own explicit policy which was based upon extensive research, detailed independent studies and volumes of advice from local and international experts.” End quote.

Alleged Broad Daylight Brodies Robber To Court
On Monday, we told you about the brazen daylight robbery of security guard who was depositing the day’s proceeds for Brodies. Well tonight, police have charged the man who they believe stole that 46 thousand dollars on Saturday evening and he is currently on remand. As we reported, the security guard was making a deposit right across the street to First Caribbean Bank when a man, who was wearing just a cap and a pair of sunglasses, ambushed him with a firearm and demanded that he hand over the money. Brodies’ policy is that it is best not to risk its employees’ lives, so the security guard handed over a plastic bag with four money bags containing $46,064 dollars.

Controversial Corporal Cleared
In May of this year, we told you about Corporal Darrel “Tutsi” Usher, who was charged with wounding after he allegedly punched and kicked a woman who was attending a wake in Hattieville. That woman was Christine Neal, who told police that on April 25, she was at a wake for Mark McKoy when she was blindsided by a punch to her left temple and a kick to her stomach by Usher. Two weeks after the report was made, Usher was arrested by police and charged with wounding. He had pleaded not guilty to the charge and was granted bail of one thousand dollars which he met. This morning when he appeared before the Chief Magistrate, his charge was dismissed after the prosecutor informed the court that Neal had asked that no further action be taken in her case.

Placencia Gets A Pier And Plaza
At the top of our first segment, 7News showed you the comments from Minister of Tourism, Manuel Heredia Jr. on the ongoing Stake Bank discussion. We got that chance to speak with him at the ceremonial opening of the Placencia Municipal Pier & Plaza. It has been in the works for a few months, and this afternoon, the pier and plaza was inaugurated as part of the Sustainable Tourism Project. The media was flown down to Placencia to witness the opening in person, We asked Heredia Jr about the pier and its importance: Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. - Minister of Tourism "It actually started last year and it is something designed to blend what used to be in the past and as you know Placencia has been traditionally, a fishing village, and the fishing co-op has been one of the pillars of economy of Placencia. So we tried to capitalize between the Fishing Co-op and the Tourism sector and hence, a model as you see today was created and which I believe that the Tourism Industry will benefit a lot."

Butane (LPG) Price Trending Up
The price of Liquid Petroleum Gas, commonly known as butane had been trending down recently, and, according to our records had been holding steady since April. But tonight, the Supplies Control Unit reports that it is going up to 117 dollars per hundred pound cylinder in Belize City, up from 113 dollars per one hundred pound cylinder. Similar changes will be reflected in the districts. The new price takes effect tomorrow.

Was Small City Fire Caused By Baby-Mama-Drama?
There was a fire at the end of Neal’s Pen Road Extension today. One small wooden house burned, and another beside it was scorched. The resident says he suspects arson:.. Corlen Gomez - Fire Victim "Well I was called and the fire was burning around 10:45 because I had just left like an hour ago and when I came back I just found the whole house down. I don't really know much because I wasn't here." Daniel Ortiz "You said from the distance from where you were, not only could you smell it - you also heard the explosion?" Corlen Gomez "Yes, I heard a loud noise go 'boom' " Daniel Ortiz "And you suspect that to be?" Corlen Gomez "One of the little gas tank stove - that is what I think made the noise."

Mas Camp Mayhem In The Streets
And the mas camp madness continued last night. Here’s what Monica Bodden found when she went to the camps:… Monica Bodden reporting Day 2 of carnival mas camps and our first stop was right in our neighbourhood at the Black Pearl carnival band. Dorla Vaughan - Band Leader "I'm preparing the St. George's Caye day, Independence Day and Carnival Day. The St. George's Caye day with be the white and silver - the Independece day colors, Red, White and Blue and most of all we have the Carnival section which is all color." Monica Bodden "So you have how many sections?" Dorla Vaughan "I have three sections." Monica Bodden "Tell me, how did you come up with this idea?" Dorla Vaughan "Well we just sat down and talked about it - we know this year is the 32nd year for the Independence so I said I will give it a try because this is my 25th year in Carnival also. It seems that the sponsors are capturing the senior bands and leaving the kids behind and they are the future of tomorrow. On carnival day - they will see the kids and they will be properly attired, they will not be wearing any skimp clothing."

Southcom Commander Visits
The Commander of US Southcom, General John Kelly concluded a two day visit to Belize today. Since taking over Southcom in November of last year, it is his first visit to Belize, but during that period the US military has been cooperating in multiple training activities in Belize. Kelly told the media today he wants to extend that. Here’s the story from his press conference:… Jules Vasquez reporting In what might be the definition of making a grand entrance, four Star US Marine General John F. Kelly and his contingent arrived in Belmopan at 1:00 this afternoon in three Blackhawk helicopters - which were brought in from Honduras to move him and his 16 officers around Belize for their 36 hour visit. General John F. Kelly (Marines) - Commander, US Southcom "I just arrived yesterday, the last two days have been an education for me about this country. Most of the day yesterday we spent on the water and I received an appreciation of how much of the maritime domain that your Coast Guard and government is responsible for. It is considerable because of the distance between the islands off the coast - it's very considerable and abnormally large."

Bangladeshi Belizean Wanted By US
We’ve told you all about the extradition cases for the men wanted by the US Government, Mark Seawell, Deon Bruce, Gary Seawell, Rhett Fuller, and Khaled El Turk – which was the only one to be discharged by the Belizean Courts. Well tonight, we tell you about one more, Bangladeshi Belizean Fakhrul Alam Salim – and he’s wanted for manufacturing the drug called Crystal Meth. Salim, seen here in the blue shirt, wearing glasses, is currently on remand at prison awaiting his extradition hearings on grand jury charges from the state of Virginia of methamphetamine importation and money laundering. According to the documents tendered before the court, around January of 2011, Salim and others unlawfully, knowingly and intentionally combined and conspired to manufacture 500 grams or more of a mixture containing a detectable amount of methamphetamine, knowing that it was to be imported into the United States.

APAMO Gets New Chair
Today, the Association of Protected Areas Management Organizations (APAMO) held it’s annual general meeting. In current climate dominated by the controversial developments of Stake Bank, Harvest Caye, and US Capital Energy inside the Sarstoon Temash National Park, the organization’s members had much to discuss, since those items continue to appear steadily on the evening news. One of the agenda items was to elect new members of APAMO’s executive council, and today 7News dropped by after the election portion of the AGM, and we found out that there is a new chairman. According to best reports, the former chairman Edilberto Romero had threatened to step down shortly after he clashed publicly with forestry Minister Lisel Alamilla in late July; in the end he waited for the election which was imminent. And so, today the Executive Director of APAMO made the announcement, and he also told us that the new chair comes at a timely moment: Jose Perez - Exeecutive Director, APAMO "Up to this point - the highlights of this year's meeting, has been the election of the new executive council. We had four vacant positions within the executive council and we've elected a new chairperson, a treasurer, and two councilors.

Saldivar Clears Up PAC Schedule
The Public Accounts Committee, it’s the story that just won’t go away, and even now as the Government side has mapped out an agenda to move things forward – without the opposition – there’s still a lack of clarity, not to mention a compounding controversy. The controversy is political and may never abate, but the clarity issue stems form the fact that Saldivar told the media yesterday they would follow a certain schedule, but then the National Assembly sent out a schedule saying something completely different. We asked him about the significant discrepancy today:.. Jules Vasquez "On that agenda, it clearly shows that you will not start dealing with current or recent events until May of next year - you said you would deal with them contemporaneously." Hon. John Saldivar - - Pro-tem Chairman, PAC "The schedule that we have put forward is to start dealing with the pre-2008 reports on Monday's and on Wednesday's we start dealing with the 2008 moving forward. So I don't know that there's a discrepancy there." Reporter "Sir, that's not what the schedule has -it has 2003, 2004 on Monday, 2004, 2005 on Wednesday and all down the line including some audits from the Venenzuela situation - we don't even touch 2008 until next year at the end of May."

Saldivar Says Major Mira No Threat With “State Secrets”
And while we had Saldivar with us, we also asked him about newcomer to Belmopan Politics, Oscar Mira. The retired BDF Major quite suddenly quit his job as deputy coordinator of the National Security Council and jumped into politics as an aspirant in the PUP Belmopan Convention. The winner of that race will face Saldivar. Now, he was one of the most senior officials in the intelligence apparatus and now he’s gone into opposition politics. So, does that worry his former boss and the man who he might face in an election? Saldivar commented:.. Jules Vasquez "Are you concerned that the most senior intelligence officer in the country - the secretariat for the National Security Council is now your political opponent and the UDP's political opponent, simply put, he knows all the secrets." Hon. John Saldivar - Area Rep., Belmopan "I don't know that there are any secrets that we need to worry about Jules." Jules Vasquez "So it's not something that concerns you?" Hon. John Saldivar "Not very much."

Channel 5

No MOU For Stake Bank Project, Ministry of Tourism Says Formal Agreement In The Works
The Stake Bank and Ocean View Grand two hundred million Belize dollar project with the Feinstein group of companies was unveiled on Wednesday. The development involves both Stake Bank and [...]

Cabinet Green Lights Stake Bank Project
And if there was still any doubt that Cabinet has given the green light to the proposed two hundred million dollar Stake Bank Project, senior Minister John Saldivar today dispelled [...]

APAMO Says GOB Isn’t Considering Ecological Impact of Stake Bank Project
While there is support from government and stakeholders, the Association of Protected Areas Management Organization is not as accommodating. APAMO held its sixth annual general meeting today at the headquarters [...]

APAMO Addresses SATIIM-U.S. Capital Fight During AGM
Another issue that is bubbling is SATIIM’s fight against U.S. Capital Energy and the government. APAMO’s general membership is consistent with the position that oil drilling in national parks is [...]

B.T.I.A. not in support of NCL project
The issue of the Norwegian Cruise Line project on Harvest Caye is a done deal with the blessing of the government. A Memorandum of Understanding for the undertaking of the [...]

Pro-tem PAC Chairman John Saldivar Approves Schedule for Future PAC Meetings
The House of Representatives Public Accounts Committee held a meeting on Wednesday in Belmopan. Realistically, we should say that the government members of the PAC held a meeting, because Chairman [...]

US Southern Command’s General John F. Kelly Visits Belize
The US Southern Command has been a very friendly partner in Belizean development – in areas ranging from medical care and infrastructure assistance to training and the donation of military [...]

Sheldon Sosa Arrested and Charged for Daring Brodies Robbery
A lone gunman managed to deprive James Brodies and Company of over forty thousand dollars in cash over the weekend, but police now believe they have the man who carried [...]

Tutsi Usher Acquitted of Wounding Hattieville Teacher
Thirty-one year old Darrell “Tutsi” Usher, the son of well-known P.U.P. Port Loyola Candidate, Gilroy Usher, was today set free when Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith struck out a charge [...]

Multimillion Dollar Placencia Waterfront Project Inaugurated
While residents in the south have objections to the Norwegian Cruise Line project at Harvest Caye, they welcome the construction of a pier, plaza and promenade in Placencia. The facilities [...]

Police Department Launches Gang Resistance Education and Training Program
Today the Belize Police Department proudly launched a historic documentary chronicling the success story of one of its greatest initiative. The Gang Resistance Education and Training program was first born [...]

And the Mas Camps continue…
Mas Camps leading up to the spectacular Carnival Road March on September fourteenth, are now underway. The first stop on Wednesday night by our News Five team was at Dean [...]

12-year-old Motivational Speaker Anthony Gill Kicks Off Inspirational Tour in the Jewel
He is only twelve years old, but Anthony Gill is thrilling audiences with his powerful messages as a motivational speaker. The young man, who is born of Belizean parents, began [...]

R&B Singer Keonna Evans Visits Belize
Accompanying Gill is teen R and B Pop Singer and songwriter and a former American Idol Contestant, Keonna Evans. The inspirational duo begins their tour with an appearance at Maud [...]

Healthy Living takes a look at sepsis
Sepsis is a most common, but least recognized disease. Worldwide, every few seconds someone dies from sepsis. September thirteenth, will be celebrated as world sepsis day and Belize is the [...]

LOVE FM

Works of Cultural Thinkers of Caribbean and Central America Displayed
Landings, New Art Ideas From the Caribbean and Central America 2000 to 2010” is the name of a book that will be officially launched tomorrow in Belize City under the “The Container Collection, First Debark zero zero one”.. The book which encompasses different art types from over one hundred young visual artists, writers and cultural thinkers in the Caribbean and Central America is being published by Five-o-one productions in Benque Viejo Del Carmen and the Image Factory in Belize City. Today Love News caught up with some of the Mexican Artists who were responsible of putting the work together. Odethe Bravo, who hails from Merida, Yucatan told us more about the book and what it was like putting it together. ODETHE BRAVO, “For all the pictures that the artists took, we put in the program and we put it to be viewed. We put the images and the text of the book; this took us a few months, we started in September 2012 and we finished January 2013. It was tiring but fun and I am relieved but I loved the project because I learned a lot of things. Tomorrow, you will see the pictures and will be able to talk with us as well as the head of the project. We are going to see the hard work put into this project.”

GREAT is for Gang Resistance Education and Training – Its Documentary Debuted
This morning the Gang Resistance Education And Training, GREAT, Program debuted a short documentary at the Biltmore Hotel. The documentary looks back at the initial stages of the GREAT Program since its inception years ago. The program looks to deter primary school students from having any connections to gangs and gang related activities. Several schools across the country have adopted the GREAT Program and according to Senior Superintendent of police in charge of community police Louise Willis, the documentary was created to accomplish four targets. SENIOR SUPERINTENDENT LOUISE WILLIS “There were four objectives for developing this GREAT documentary; (1) to create a visual documentation of the work by the Police Department in Community Policing, the US Embassy, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, the primary school students and principals; (2) to enhance, educate and create public awareness about the GREAT program and the Community Policing in Belize; to utilize the documentary as a training and capacity building tool for our police department and to create the first educational document in the history of the Police Department showing off our community policing success program. In 2013/2014, the program will be rolled out to more rural areas in the Cayo, Stann Creek and Orange Walk districts. In addition thirty officers will be trained and over four thousand students will graduate from this program.”

Price Hike for Liquid Petroleum Anticipated
The price of liquid petroleum is set to increase. According to the Supplies Control Unit in the Ministry of Trade, Private Sector Development and Consumer Protection effective tomorrow the price of liquid petroleum will increase in all districts. The price for a one hundred pound cylinder will be one hundred and seventeen dollars in Belize City and Corozal; one hundred and eighteen dollars in orange Walk; one hundred and nineteen dollars in Belmopan and San Ignacio, one hundred and twenty dollars in Benque Viejo del Carmen; one hundred and twenty one dollars in Dangriga and one hundred and twenty two dollars in Punta Gorda.

Police Scores Firearm and Ammunition Hidden in Vehicle
Two men, 27 year old Kenroy Gillett and 24 year old Sheldon Sosa, were charged with firearm and ammunition offences when they appeared in court today. They pled not guilty to the charges. They were remanded into custody until October 4. The incident occurred yesterday. The police reported that they were on mobile patrol on Raccoon Street when they saw an SUV parked on the street. They said when they stopped by the vehicle they saw two persons inside. Gillett was behind the steering wheel and Sosa was in the front passenger seat. The police said they approached the men and informed them that a search will be conducted on their person and ordered them to exit the vehicle. The men complied and nothing incriminating was found on their person. But when the police searched the vehicle they reported that they found one black nine millimetre pistol with nine rounds of Sand B brand ammunition in its magazine. The firearm was under a mat, said the police. As a result, Gillett and Sosa were taken into custody and charged. The firearm and ammunition were labelled as exhibits.

Football President Planned to Suspend Exec. Members; President Ends Up Walking Chalk-line
The Football Federation of Belize has been besieged with problems over the years. It was the hope of football fans that with a new executive would come development in the sport and less bickering. That has not been the case as over the last few months quite a number of controversies have arisen; from the revelation that the Federation was broke to the suspension of its assistant coach and nonpayment of players. Today the Federation is back in the news for all the wrong reasons. Love News understands that an urgent President’s meeting was called yesterday in Belize City by the President of the FFB, Ruperto Vicente and General Secretary Michael Blease. It is alleged that their intention was to suspend three members, namely: Sergio Chuc, Marlon Kuylen and Cruz Gamez.

Health Authorities Shut Down Popular Shopping Plaza in Chetumal
A Health issue at a mall in Chetumal has caused authorities to close it down. Reporter Dalila Ical investigated further on the motive. DALILA ICAL “Earlier this week health officials in Chetumal, Quintana Roo, Mexico closed the mall “Plaza Las Americas”, after the drainage system and the sewage waters overflowed in the back part of the restaurant and dining area of the building. The move was done by officials at the Protección Contra Riesgos Sanitarios or the Protection Against Health Risks department. The situation is apparently serious as officials indicate that they observed feces on the parking lot area that was naturally accompanied by a foul odor. The situation posed serious health risks, officials said since rodents, insects and other pests became visible. The recent rains have also caused flooding in the area compounding the health risks. As a result the mall was shut down. Media outlets in Chetumal City indicate that health officials had warned the mall’s administration that the drainage system was not secure and recommended the situation be addressed but nothing was done. How is this relevant to Belizeans, well let’s go back to figures received from the Honorary Council’s office earlier this year on the entries recorded for the year 2012. One million three hundred thousand entries from Belize were registered.

Police Corporal Cleared of Charge After Allegedly Slapping Woman
Twenty-seven year old police corporal Darrell ”Tutsie” Usher, charged with causing harm to a woman, was freed of the charge when it was struck out today by Chief magistrate Anne Marie Smith because of want of prosecution. The prosecutor told the court that the virtual complainant gave a statement in which she requested no further court action. Usher was charged when the woman reported to police that that on April 25, Usher slapped her while she was in a yard in Hattieville. Shel was issued with a medico-legal form and the doctor who examined her classified her injury as harm.

Placencia Peninsula Boasts New Pier
Placencia Village is arguably the most scenic coastal tourism destination and today, the aesthetics in one part of the peninsula will be all the more pleasing when a new pier will be opened. The Ministry of Tourism and Culture along with the Belize Tourism Board and the Sustainable Tourism Program will open the Placencia Municipal Pier and Plaza. Chairman of Placencia Village, Ilsa Villanueva, told Love News that there a bit of history to the structure. ILSA VILLANUEVA “Back in 2008, the then Chairperson, Brian Yearwood along with a representative from IDB came down and said they were looking for a project to do. There were only a few of us at the meeting and that was how we came up with the idea of the pier. So, it started back from 2008 and now we are enjoying the new pier of Placencia at what is still known as the point of Placencia, it used to be the old fishing wharf; the fishermen use it, the tour guides and boat owners; there is a wide cross section of people that use it.”

Inspirational Speaker and Former American Idol Contestant Meets With Belizean Youths
Eleven year old Anthony Gill a renowned Inspirational speaker in California U.S.A is visiting Belize to hold a nationwide school tour. During his tour he is expected to speak to students and teachers about the importance of education, focusing on the issues of bullying in schools. Gill’s international tour to Belize begins today and ends on the twenty fourth of September. During his time here he is expected to reach out to sixteen schools, youth organizations and various other events including the annual children’s rally. Accompanying Gill on his International Tour is Singer, Songwriter and former American Idol contestant, Keonna Evans. Evans will be performing her hit songs during the tour and is expected to encourage students to follow their dreams and aspirations. Both Gill and Evans were scheduled to arrive in Belize this morning.

Local Security Forces Receive Navy Seals Training; US Southern Command in Belize
General John F. Kelly, Commander of the US Southern Command touched down in Belize this evening. General Kelly is a very important individual when it comes to military operations carried out in Central and South America by United States of America. General Kelly met with Belize top security officials including Minister of National Security, John Saldivar, in Belmopan where a press conference was held at the Police Training Academy. Love News was there and here are the comments of both Kelly and Saldivar. GENERAL JOHN F. KELLY “I am here as a partner; I am not here as a senior partner, I am here as a partner. The United States extends a hand of partnership all over this part of the world and the good news is, at least from my country’s perspective, is most of this part of the world, Caribbean, Central America, Latin America all generally, want to be a partner with the United States.

#471984 - 09/06/13 06:17 AM Re: Today's Belize News: September 6, 2013 [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

More News: Scroll up from here

PlusTV

The PAC meets at the National Assembly in Belmopan
It’s been a long time coming – a meeting of the Public Accounts Committee and we were hoping to bring you inside coverage of that gathering; however the media was not allowed past the chamber’s door… but we’ll get back to that point in a few. Just before the...

Media not allowed in PAC meeting
Our cameras we not allowed inside the National Assembly during Wednesday’s PAC meeting. This comes after Prime Minister the Hon. Dean Barrow, and the Chairman of the PAC, Hon. Julius Espat, gave the green light for the gathering to be open to the public. So why wasn’t it? That’s...

PUP adviser Vaughan Gill arrested
An incident occurred shortly before Honorable Julius Espat, Cayo South Representative, arrived for Wednesday’s Public Accounts Committee Meeting. His senior adviser Vaughn Gill was detained by Belmopan Police at the foot of the National Assembly. According to information to PlusNews, there was a warrant out on Mr Gill relating...

Three persons charged with Drug Trafficking
Three persons are facing drug charges after a house search in Ranchito Village turned up a sizable amount of weed. The drugs were found by Corozal Police at the residence of Mexican national Marcial Villegas Geron, taped to back of a washing machine inside a small house in the...

4 year old escapes house fire unhurt
A 4 year old escaped a house fire unhurt this past Sunday in Maskall Village. According to his mother, around 9 that morning, she left the child inside her home, to go over to her mother-in-law’s house located next door in a family lot. It was while she was...

Developer addresses concerns about Stake Bank Cruise Tourism Project
The project to build the cruise port and tourism destination at Stake Bank and North Drowned Caye, 2 miles east of Belize City, has been hanging around for some time, but on Wednesday it went before the National Environmental Assessment Committee (NEAC) for review of the Environmental Impact Assessment...

FECTAB supports both Cruise Ship Projects
The Federation of Cruise Tourism Associations of Belize (FECTAB) has been a major player in the debate over cruise tourism, raising alarms over the Harvest Caye/Norwegian project in recent weeks. They were recently on the media echoing assurances from Prime Minister Dean Barrow that that the NCL Project would...

Man charged following alleged mugging of a woman in Belize City
A Belize City resident has been arrested after allegedly mugging a woman in broad daylight. It reportedly happened as the woman waiting for a bus on Regent Street, Belize City. She says she felt someone grab at her hand purse and when she turned around noticed a man pulling...

18 year old charged for displaying membership of a criminal gang
Charged for displaying membership of a criminal gang – 18 year old Angel Ku might be second guessing his choice in tattoos. On Wednesday morning, the teen was picked up by cops who were in the area of Kiskidee Street in Corozal Town. Their attention was drawn to a...

Trinidadian Priest discusses Trinidad’s Gender Policy while in Belize
Fr. Ian Taylor is a member of the Parish of San Rafael in Trinidad and is considered one of the most outspoken charismatic evangelists in the Parish. He spends most of his time travelling the world as part of his missionary and has been in Belize on several occasions....

Book takes reader on “A Walk through Old Belize”
A lot of history has been made in Belize City. On almost every street corner there is a reminder of the City as it was in the days of a bustling colony, and a thriving marketplace. From the old Government House, now the...

Hon. John Saldivar is Acting Prime Minister
Hon. John Saldivar, Minister of National Security,will be sitting on the high chair for two days, seeing that the Acting Prime Minister Gaspar Vega, Minister of Agriculture, boarded a flight to Guatemala this evening at 4:00 p.m. He will be representing Belize at the first ever Petén Livestock Congress...

The Guardian

Feinstein to Invest Over $300 Million on Stake Bank Project
The Feinstein Group of Companies (FCG) is prepared to move forward on a US$150 million project off the coast of Belize City that involves the development of Stake Bank Island and North Drowned Caye into first class destinations for foreign and domestic tourists. Michael Feinstein, Chairman of the Feinstein Group of Companies, hosted a press conference on Wednesday, September 4th, to give an overview of the project. State Bank Island is located four nautical miles south east of Belize City. Feinstein will invest US$67.5 million to develop the island into an entertainment centre with a port for the berthing of cruise ships. The port will be capable of hosting four voyager class cruise ships at any given time. Stake Bank will also provide a marina for transiting yachts and facilities for shops restaurants and bars, nightclubs and other entertainment venues. There will also be an “independent entertainment and shopping area for cruise crew members” as well as a Mayan themed water park. The need for a berthing facility near Belize City cannot be overstated as the cruise lines have expressed dissatisfaction with the tendering arrangement on multiple occasions. The majority of passengers choose not to leave the massive ships with luxury service to board the boats that look like dories from the deck. According to FCG, those that do board tenders have complained because it is “unsafe and accidents have occurred”. Only a little over 40% of passengers that get off the ships actually organize tours because of the poor experience while boarding the tenders and aggressive greeting by tour operators near the Fort Street Tourism Village. In 2010, Seleni Matus, then BTB Director, said, “We are losing on an annual basis close to $50 million because of the poor presentation that we have as our destination.” The Ministry of Tourism has spent millions of dollars to improve the infrastructure and train the individuals operating in the area but FCG is promoting the Stake Bank project as the permanent solution to the Belize City cruise tourism woes.

PAC begins its work without Julius
Julius Espat stormed out of the Public Accounts Committee meeting which was held in Belmopan on Wednesday, September 4th. As he huffed out of the committee meeting room, he violently slammed the door shut behind him. Espat had gone to the meeting with an agenda which was voted on and rejected by the majority of the committee members. He was seeking to review only one Auditor General's report that is the one for 2010 to 2011. After the rejection of that agenda, Hon. John Saldivar proposed a new agenda which will see the committee review Auditor General reports from as far back as 2003(see Table to the right). The first meeting will take place on September 23rd and will publicly review the Report of the Auditor General's Report for the years 2003/2004 and the 2004/2005 report on September 25th. The schedule will see all Auditor General's Reports that are available from 2003 reviewed. It is noteworthy that there are no reports before 2003.

Vaughn Gill is a Dead beat Dad
It is perhaps one of the most shameful things when fathers have children and refuse to take care of them, forcing the children’s mothers to take the father to Family Court, in effect forcing them to pay. And that is where Vaughn Gill found himself on Wednesday when he was picked up by police for refusing to take care of his child! Police picked up Gill in Belmopan on the strength of a commitment warrant for refusing to pay a mere $50 a week to support his child. Gill has not been paying for years and the amount had racked up to 15 thousand dollars. He however had brought down that amount to 5 thousand dollars which he could not pay.

National Bank of Belize Open for Business - Now lending at 5.5% interest
The National Bank of Belize Limited is now accepting applications for mortgage loans from public officers and middle income Belizeans. The Prime Minister of Belize, Hon. Dean Barrow, established the bank in April of this year and commissioned the Board of Directors to begin operations as soon as possible. The Board is chaired by Senator Joy Grant and Deputy Financial Secretary Marion Palacio is the Vice Chair. President of the National Trade Union Congress of Belize, Dylan Reneau, John Mencias and Hector Sabido are the other members of the Board. Senator Grant says she was honoured when Prime Minister Barrow told her he wanted her to chair the Board. Grant is also Minister of Public Utilities, Energy, Science and Technology. Senator Grant says she knew it would require great effort to lead such an important venture while executing her duties as Minister but it was a task she was determined to take on. The Board and its supporting cast worked tirelessly to establish an operation plan, recruit staff and renovate the old Small Farmers Bank building at the corner of Forest Drive and the Hummingbird Highway. As a result, the National Bank of Belize Limited opened its doors to the public on the first Monday of September.

Medical Teleconferencing now available at KHMH
Dr. Gary Longsworth and Rafael Marin at the launch of KHMH’s teleconferencing service The Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital now has teleconferencing capacity. On Tuesday, September 3rd the KHMH officially launched the service which comes as a result of donated equipment by the Carolinas Healthcare Systems, Heineman Foundation and BTL who provided a 4 Meg dedicated connection to the hospital.

September Celebrations Kicks Off on St. George’s Caye
Official launch of the National September Celebrations On Sunday, September 1st, the Governor General of Belize, Sir Colville Young, led a large group of government officials, diplomats and patriotic citizens to St. George’s Caye to officially open the September Celebrations. The people on the island commemorating the brave stance of a group of Baymen, African slaves and free blacks 215 years ago included descendants of those Baymen and slaves as well as Mestizos, Mayas, Garinagus, Taiwanese and East Indians who call Belize home today.

Nine Archaeological Sites assisted
A project to assist nine archaeological sites and their surrounding communities across Belize is moving forward with the delivery of an All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) last Friday at the Museum Building on Culvert Road, Belmopan. Present to witness the delivery of the ATV were principal movers from the Belize Tourist Board, the National Institute of Culture and History as well as from the Department of Archaeology. Conceived two years ago and signed into action in December of 2012, the Project entitled “Making Tourism Benefit Communities Adjacent to Archaeological Sites” hopes to bring positive changes within a 24 month period. The project will improve the infrastructure and services at nine archaeological sites with a main focus in reducing poverty in rural areas. These targeted sites that will stand to benefit include Altun Ha in the Belize District, Lamanai in the Orange Walk District and Nim Li Punit, Blue Creek and Lubaantun in the Toledo District. Also to benefit from this Project will be Actun Tunichil Muknal, Barton Creek, the Nohoch Che’en (Cave’s Branch) and Xunantunich from the Cayo District.

New Cayo DAVCO
On Saturday, August 31st, the newly elected Village Councils of the Cayo District, met at Unitedville village for the annual general meeting of DAVCO for that district.

Bertie owes Income Tax
Former president of the Football Federation of Belize, Bertie Chimilio, appeared in court to answer to charges of failing to pay income tax. He appeared in Belize City before Magistrate Leslie Hamilton.

One week training on Climate Change held in Cayo
Since a meeting of Global minds at the Second Program Steering Committee of the Global Climate Change Alliance (GCCA) Intra African Caribbean and Pacific Countries meeting which was held on both the 18th and 19th of July 2013 at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel, much continues to happen on the Climate Change agenda. As recent as last week, a team from the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) was brought in for five consecutive days to sensitize some 100 persons from the public, private and Non Government Organizations on Climate Change. Previously, the National Climate Change Committee had met and approved a National Plan for climate change actions in Belize.

Councilor Castillo helps children in Rural Central
PUMA Representative hands over donation to Councillor Emroy Castillo On Tuesday 27th August, 2013 PUMA ENERGY BELIZE donated school supplies to a group of deserving primary school students of Ladyville Village.

GRAVE TYPES AND BURIAL THEMES AT THE EARLY ENGLISH CEMETERY ON ST. GEORGE’S CAYE, BELIZE
Figure 1. Map showing location of St. George’s Caye. St. George’s Caye is a small island 8 miles off the coast of Belize. Due to its strategic location, controlling access to the mouth of the Belize River, it played a key role in the early history of Belize serving as its capital into the late 1700s. The Caye also served as the transshipment point for the export of logwood and mahogany. The owners of the mahogany works had their homes and headquarters on the Caye. Archival research has shown that the St. George’s Caye cemetery is the country’s oldest English Baymen cemetery. Ground penetrating radar revealed a series of anomalies that possibly indicated a substantial number of unmarked graves. Excavations conducted in the 2011 field season confirmed this and revealed the presence of several graves at a level beneath the graves located in previous field seasons. This lower level of graves consisted of mahogany or Santa Maria wood coffins which differ from the stone and brick box graves of the later period. This paper presents the grave types and examines the cultural influences on the mortuary practices of the Baymen.

Memorial Park Opens for Village Expo
The new and improved Memorial Park was officially opened on Saturday, August 31st. The renovation of the park was part of the Fort Point Pedestrian Project. The Fort Point Pedestrian Walk Project falls under the IDB financed Sustainable Tourism Project. The Memorial Park has been transformed into a multi-functional public space for special events, recreation and leisure activities. The war memorial has been renovated and it includes commemorative plaques and improved ceremonial features. The bandstand has been renovated to create a theatre like atmosphere. There are several vending machines for daily use and an additional amount for permanent use and storage. The facility also has space for tour operators and residential and visitor parking. The Memorial Park is also expected to house the largest Belize flag in the country.

Remanded for burglary
On Tuesday, September 3rd, a Belize City construction worker was remanded to the Belize Central Prison after being charged with burglary. Daun Anthony Myers, 41, is accused of burglarizing the home of Father Norman Leroy Flowers who resides at #192 North Front Street in Belize. Allegations are that he entered Flowers’ home and stole jewelry amounting to $1,700. In court, Myers who was unrepresented, appeared before Magistrate Leslie Hamilton where he pleaded not guilty the single charge of burglary. The court prosecutor, objected to bail on the grounds that the crime was prevalent. Magistrate Hamilton agreed and denied Myers bail and remanded him to the Belize Central Prison until October 3, 2013.

$46,000 jacked from James Brodies
Police are investigating a robbery in which $46,064.42 was stolen from a security guard who was making a deposit for James Brodies & Company. The 52 year old security guard told police that at about4:30p.m. on Saturday, August 31st he was walking on Albert Street on his way to First Caribbean Bank to do a cash deposit when he was held up at gunpoint. The guard said a man of brown complexion about 5’ 9” in height, slim built, approached him from behind and demanded that he be given a black plastic bag which he was carrying. He handed over the bag which contained four cash bags amounting to $46,064.42. The thief then ran on Church Street, got a bicycle from a male person at the corner of Church Street and Duck Lane and rode away towards the direction of East Canal making good his escape.

Gunplay on Central American Boulevard
On Tuesday, September 3rd, 35-year-old Jose Ricardo Hernandez, a driver and resident of Belize City was remanded to the Belize Central Prison after he charged with a single count of aggravated assault with a firearm upon Aris Serrano, a bus driver. Hernandez appeared before Magistrate Leslie Hamilton where he pleaded not guilty to the charge but due to the nature of the offense, bail was denied and he was remanded to the Belize Central Prison until October 3, 2013 Allegations are that on Tuesday, September 3, on Central American Boulevard, he committed an aggravated assault with a firearm upon Aris Serrano. Police reports are that at about 7:15 a.m. Hernandez who was driving a dump truck was involved in a collision with Serrano who was driving a bus.

Mother charged for abandoning her children
On Friday, August 30th, 25-year-old Shanel Robinson, a domestic of a Cannon Dale Drive apartment address in Belize City appeared in Magistrate’s Court before Magistrate Leslie Hamilton to answer to two charges of child abandonment. No plea was taken from her as the court prosecutor was not certain if the matter will be dealt with on indictment or summarily. She was then offered bail in the sum of 1 thousand dollars plus one surety of the same amount. Allegations are that on Thursday, August 29, she left two of her two children, both under the age of 7 at apartment #7, at Canon Dale Drive to the extent that she allowed that they be injured.

Charged for Drug Trafficking
On Tuesday, September 3rd, taxi-driver, 49-year-old Alton White and his common-law wife, 34-year-old Idolly Frazer, an employee of Belize Health Care Partners appeared in Magistrate’s court where they were charged with one count of drug trafficking and one count of possession of a controlled drug. Allegations are that early on that same morning, they were found in possession of 106 grams of cannabis and 11 grams of cannabis, respectively. In court, White asked the magistrate to please allow him time to explain his situation. He said that he wants to plead guilty to possession because, his common-law wife had no idea what he was doing and that she was not supposed to be home. She was to be at work on that day. Magistrate Leslie Hamilton informed him that the prosecutor would have to check with the DPP’s office to see if they will accept his guilty plea for possession. After a 5 minutes adjournment, White’s guilty plea for possession was rejected by the DPP’s office and the court prosecutor informed the magistrate that the prosecution will proceed against the couple for drug trafficking.

Charged for trying to kill her husband
On Monday, September 2nd Frances Eve Ayala Wilson, 38, appeared in Magistrate’s court where she was charged with abetment to commit murder. Wilson, a resident of San Ignacio, was arraigned before Magistrate Leslie Hamilton where she was represented by Attorney Simeon Sampson. In court no plea was taken and the prosecutor objected to bail. The objections were firstly that there was the strong likelihood of Ayala Wilson not showing up in court to answer the charge. He pointed out that although the report against Wilson was made in May of this year, it was not until three months later that she was apprehended by police in San Ignacio. The second objection was based on the seriousness of the crime, and the prosecutor asked the court to consider that the crime of conspiracy to commit murder was a serious one.

Kent Gabourel is 14th Lionman Champion
The Belize Triathlon Association sponsored its 14th Annual Lionman Triathlon on Sunday, September 1, 2013. The Triathlon Discipline includes three events swimming, riding and running of which the triathlete must complete. In the male category, Kent Gabourel was the first tri-athlete to cross the finish line to capture the 14th Annual Lionman Competition. Kenroy “Smokes” Gladden captured 2nd place while Luigi Urbina captured 3rd place. In the female category, Shalini Zabaneh was the first tri-athlete to cross the finish line and then she was followed by Austrailian Dimity Gannon and Kerah Eiley in that order. In the junior category, Brandon Santos was the first tri-athlete to cross the finish line. In the Masters Category, Dr. Ramon Figueroa was the first tri-athlete to cross the finish line.

Belize places fourth in the FIBA Americas 3x3 Championship
The Belize National U18 3x3 basketball team returned to Belize on Monday, September 2nd after placing 4th in the U18 3x3 FIBA Americas Championship held in Washington DC. Belize beat Puerto Rico and Guatemala to advance to the semifinal round where Belize lost to USA by a score of 21-16 and then lost to Canada in the bronze medal game. The National U 18 3x3 basketball team qualifies to participate in the U 18 3x3 World Championship to be held in Jakarta from September 26-29th. The Belize Basketball Federation would like to thank the following sponsors who made financial contributions as well as other organizations that supported the team and made Belize’s participation possible. Belize is also scheduled to participate in the U 14 COCABA Championship to be held in Honduras later this year.

Central Health Region and Port of Belize wins in Frims Basketball Competition
The Belize District Basketball Association Firms’ Competition continued on Saturday, August 31, at the Bird’s Isle in Belize City with three games on the schedule. In the first game played, Central health defeated Courts by the score of 71-64. The top scorers for Central Health were Steve Wade with 19 points and Lonnie Trapp also with 19 points. Meanwhile, the top scorers for Courts were Tyronne Anthony with 26 points and Delroy Calez with 15 points. In the second game on the schedule, Port of Belize defeated Customs & Excise Department by the score of 64-60. The top scorers for Port of Belize were Vince Estrada with 23 points and Earl Johnson with 20 points. For the Customs & Excise Department, their top scorers were Oliver Solis with 24 points and Elsworth Felix with 11 points. In the final game of the evening, BTL won via the forfeit route 20-0 over Bowen & Bowen. The competition will continue on Thursday, September 5 with two more games on the schedule. In the first game at 7:00 pm PUC/CBA will go up against Atlantic Bank followed by Hertiage Bank against Belize Bank. On Friday, September 6, there will be three games on the schedule. In game one at 7:00 pm Central Health will go up against BTL, followed by Belize Bank against Atlantic Bank and in the final game of the evening it will be Belize City Council against Port of Belize.

Vega’s Cup tournament continues in Orange Walk North
The 2013 Vega’s Cup Tournament continued on Sunday, September 1st where four games were played at the Trial Farm Football Field. In the first game played, Jaguars defeated Barrio Boys by the score of 5-1. The goals for Jaguars were scored by Clifton West in the 15th, 41st and 42nd minutes of the game, Andy Basto in the 62nd minute of play and Leonel Gongora in the 90th minute of play. Meanwhile, the goal for Barrio Boys was scored by Jeovany Coyock in the 72nd minute of play. In game two, Old School and Awe’s V United played to a 1-1 draw. The only goal of the game for Old School was scored by Dean Flowers in the 85th minute of play, while Dathon Rivas scored for Awe’s V United in the 67th minute of play. In the third game of the day, San Luis FC blasted AC Aliari by the score of 5-1. The only goal of the game was scored by Gadiel Samos in the 32nd minute of play. Meanwhile, the goal scorers for San Luis FC were scored by Alfonso Chi in the 6th minute of play, Alberto Coh in the 10th and 84th minutes of play and Victor Chi in the 68th and 85th minutes of play. In the fourth and final game of the day, Douglas Galaxy and Untouchables played to a 2-2 draw. The goals for Douglas Galaxy were scored by Cesar Ortiz in the 53rd minute of play and Elton Triminos in the 60th minute of play, while the goals for Untouchables were scored by Ismael Larios in the 52nd minute of play and Kadir Galindo in the 78th minute of play.

Belize Youth Girls Volleyball team in Guatemala
The National Youth Girls Volleyball team is currently in Guatemala City, Guatemala, where it is participating in the Central American Youth (U-16) Volleyball Competition. The team has played 2 games in the competition so far and is playing 500 ball with a 1-1 win-loss record. On Tuesday, September 3, Belize defeated El Salvador three sets to one by the score of 25-23, 25-20, 21-25and 25-19. Kevanna Sebastian led Team Belize with 20 points. She also had 12 kills and 8 blocks. Meanwhile, Maya Musa also contributed to the team’s win with 10 points, and 8 kills and 2 aces. On Monday, Honduras defeated Belize by the score of 25-21, 25-17, 18-25, 15-25 and 9-15. Team Belize was led by Kevanna Sebastian who scored 16 points and she also had 7 blockd, 6 kills and 3 aces. The other scorers for Team Belize were Kori Diego with 8 points and Maya Musa with 7 points. Belize will be playing its third game at 7:00 pm on Wednesday September 4 against the host country Guatemala.

Youth talks - I Love Coke
Ever wondered how it is that some days your body is just begging you for a coke? Or are you ever having your Sunday rice and beans, your Lee Chee or your Garnaches and you just know that your meal is not complete because you do not have a coke? I am sure it has happened to the regular soda drinkers. But have you ever wondered what it contains that makes it so addictive? Have you considered how much sugar the soda has? How much effects it has on the body? Youths as well as adults are addicted to soft drinks and have little knowledge of the enormous effects that a little bottle of refreshment can have on the body. The following article will discuss a few effects drinking too much soda can have on health. 1. Weight Gain Soft drinks are filled with sugar. According to the Mayo Clinic, a twelve ounce soda contains approximately nine teaspoons of sugar. Some people, we could think about a few people that come to mind, drink more than one coke a day. Actually there are some people that feel like water is only good for washing hands, dishes and cloths and drink sodas all day to “quench” their thirst. Organic Consumers, however warn that each can of soda consumed increases the risk of obesity 1.6 times.

Toledo’s Jahrine Avila is the Next Queen of the Bay
Jahrine Avila will be crowned Queen of the Bay at the Battle of St. George’s Caye Day ceremony on Tuesday, September 10th. Avila represented the district of Toledo at the 68th Queen of the Bay pageant at the Bliss Center for Performing Arts this past Friday, August 30th. Seven of Belize’s most beautiful young ladies participated in this year’s Queen of the Bay pageant. The organizers listened to the critiques of the pageant’s supporters and made a change in the format this year. Many complained that the pageant was getting a bit too long and boring over recent years. Therefore, the Queen of the Bay Committee made special emphasis on the talent segment and promoted it as an event of its own. The Queen of the Bay talent competition was held on Saturday, August 17th. Queen of the Bay Belmopan, Mikayla Banner, won the talent competition doing a monologue in which she addressed some of the positive and negative features of Belize.

National Animal Health Workshop held in Cayo
A National Animal Health Workshop for the accreditation of veterinarians started on Tuesday of this week in the Cayo District and will continue until this Friday. Some fifteen veterinarians from around the country are currently participating at the Faculty of Agriculture (University of Belize) in Central Farm. Funding for the four day event is coming from the Inter American Development Bank IDB. Belizean Veterinarians are being taught how to do testing and sampling of Bovine Tuberculosis and Bovine Brucellosis as well as conducting cattle traceability. (In cattle traceability each animal is traced from the time of birth to expiration.) The Epidemiology of both Brucellosis and Tuberculosis was reviewed by experts in Central Farm on Wednesday. Both conditions are of particular interest because they have carried along with it both health and economic burdens in other countries in the past. Bovine Bucellosis by itself is a contagious disease of ruminant animals that also affects humans. Animals affected by Bovine Brucellosis have decreased milk production, weight loss, infertility and lameness and is considered one of the most serious diseases of livestock. The disease is caused by a group of bacteria under the genus Brucella; with the B. abortus bacilli affecting cattle.

Poetry Night held in Cayo
Both the San Ignacio and Santa Elena Public Libraries teamed up for a poetry night on August 28, 2013. Several poets from the Twin Towns came out to share their insights on life itself. Librarian for the San Ignacio Library, Teresita Ulloa, said that the poetry night was designed to showcase authors and their talents in an effort to conserve our ‘intangible heritage.’ Several poets then made their presentations of vivid poetry to local residents. One of those poets was Jim Arnold, who said he fled Coastal Stann Creek and moved inland to Cayo for fear of hurricanes. His poem ‘Live in Heaven and Live in Hell’ juxtaposes the many ‘treasures’ in Belize that can be spoken about loudly. Avid reader Mrs. Ruth Guttierez then took to the stage sharing with her audience that she now shares time between her local Community Pharmacy and Cubola Productions in Benque Viejo Del Carmen. Mrs. Guttierez referred to the works of James Martinez in “What is success of Life you say?”

The Reporter

Energy Ministry says rising oil prices more curse than blessing
Belize stands to collect more via the Windfall Tax from the rising global price of oil. However, the Ministry of Energy, Science & Technology, and Public Utilities says that the cost will out-weigh the benefits. Dr. Colin Young, Ministry of Energy’s CEO, explained Tuesday that the influx of revenue Belize will receive will be significantly less than the country’s expenditure in buying fuel. Young said that the rise in fuel will always negatively impact Belize and is a clear indicator that the country needs to wean itself off dependency on diesel fuels and start looking into more renewable energy endeavours. Following the bio-chemical weapon attack in Syria in late August, the price of oil on the world market rose to over US$111 per barrel. After the United States announced that it may make a military strike against Syria, Brent crude oil peaked at US$117 a barrel.

Choices – there are options
A nation deserves the leaders they elect, so why complain? That is more and more the approach I am tempted to take when it comes to Belizean politics. The patterns of behaviour of the two major political parties have been virtual mirror images of each other and like in George Orwell’s Animal Farm, after a while it becomes impossible to differentiate the humans from the pigs. There is not a single person among us who would have believed that the current administration would have morphed into what it is today. When this government fist took office the hopes and aspiration of the people were extremely high. After one term and almost two years into a second term, we are now starting to see the same behavioural patterns as the last PUP administration’s. More and more people are becoming frustrated and I challenge anyone to show me that their life is any better now than it was when this government first came into power. And by anyone, I mean ordinary people, not the politically connected or the social elite, because their bank accounts have gotten exponentially bigger.

Russia’s President Putin warns US over Syria action
Russian President Vladimir Putin has warned the US and its allies against taking one-sided action in Syria. US President Barack Obama has called for punitive action in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack. Mr Putin said Russia did not rule out supporting a UN Security Council resolution authorising force, if it was proved “beyond doubt” that the Syrian government had used chemical weapons. On Tuesday evening, members of the US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations agreed on a draft resolution backing the use of military force. President Vladimir Putin’s position on any military action against Syria was in the most part very robust.

Brazil’s Lower House bans secret voting after protests
Brazil’s Chamber of Deputies has approved a ban on secret voting in both Houses of Congress. The measure, which will now have to be approved by the Senate, had been a key demand by protesters who took to the streets of major cities in June. They said they wanted more transparency to know where their parliamentary representatives stood on key decisions. The constitutional amendment was first proposed seven years ago but had been stalled in the Lower House since then. But in a unanimous late-night vote on Tuesday, the 452 deputies present voted to abolish secret voting in both the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate. The decision came just days after legislators voted – in a secret ballot – to allow Congressman Natan Donadon to continue in his post.

Miss Toledo wins 2013 Queen of Bay
Queen of the Bay Toledo Jahrine Avila won the 68th Queen of the Bay pageant organized by the Queen of the Bay committee of the Loyal and Patriotic Order of the Baymen at the Bliss Institute for the Performing Arts in Belize City on Friday night, August 30. Jahrine was voted Miss Eloquence for her succinct answers in the question and answer section of the pageant. She also won points from the judges from her exquisite, pale lemon green gown, her performance during the on stage march to patriotic September tunes, and her graceful execution of the curtsy to the reigning Queen Yadira Yvette Argueta and her curtsy to the judges and the audience. Miss Stann Creek Verinicia Vernon was voted first runner-up, while Queen of the Bay Belmopan Mikalya Venise Banner was voted second runner-up and also won the talent segment of the pageant.

Broccoli slows arthritis, researchers think
Eating lots of broccoli may slow down and even prevent osteoarthritis, UK researchers believe. The University of East Anglia team is starting human trials following on from successful lab studies. Tests on cells and mice showed that a broccoli compound – which humans can also get from Brussels sprouts and cabbage – blocked a key destructive enzyme that damages cartilage. They are asking 20 patients to eat a daily dose of “super-charged” broccoli. This special cruciferous vegetable has been bred to be extra rich in nutrients – it is a cross between standard broccoli and a wild relative from Sicily. Our body takes this glucoraphanin compound and turns it into another, called sulforaphane, which appears to protect the joints.

Migraine sufferers’ brains show structural differences
There are structural differences in parts of the brain between people who have migraines and those who do not, according to a review by Danish researchers. The analysis of 20 separate studies, in the journal Neurology, showed changes in the brain’s white matter and tiny lesions could be detected. However, the reason for the differences and their impact are unclear. Experts said more research needed to be conducted to explain the findings. Dr Messoud Ashina, from the University of Copenhagen, said: “As a neurologist I see many patients with migraines who ask – does it damage my brain?”

Kent Gabourel, Shalini Zabaneh & Ramon Figueroa win 14th annual Lionman Triathlon
Football star Kent Gabourel Jr., of San Pedro Seahawk fame, won in the men’s Lionman category, Shalini Zabaneh repeated as female champion for the seventh time, and Dr. Ramon Figueroa won in the Masters’ Lionman category. Jordan Santos won as Junior Champion in 14th annual Lionman Triathlon organized by the Belize Triathlon Association. The competition was held in the coastal waters along Sandlighters’ Promenade and along Marine Parade in Belize City on Sunday, September 1. More than 40 swimmers jumped into the sea for the two-mile swim. Kent Gabourel was fifth out the water, completing the 1,500m swim in 32 minutes 27 seconds. But he soon took the lead on the 25 mile bike ride, a three-lap course from Celebrity Restaurant on Marine Parade to Duke’s Marine, a designated turning point on the Philip Goldson Highway and back, completing the ride in one hour 41 minutes, 20 seconds.

Belize wins 3 in mixed martial arts, Mexico-5
Mexican Karate competitors from the Eagle Park Tae-kwon-do dojo of Chetumal, Quintana Roo won five of eight bouts, while Belizean fighters won three of the eight-bouts on the fight card. The Belize Shotokan Karate Academy hosted the evening of mixed martial arts fighting in the cage at the Belize Elementary School auditorium last Saturday, August 31. Belizean Ashton Tasher got a guillotine chokehold on Mexican Jonathan Calalo to win the first bout decisively. Mexican Emmanuel Ku won over Belizean Ralph Hulse by a technical knock-out in the second fight of the evening; but Belizean fighter Alex Salam got Mexican fighter Ury Gambino to throw in the towel in the third fight of the night.

Blogs

What do you do when you have lost your zsa zsa zsu?
In case you are wondering what the heck it means, zsa zsa zsu is a term coined by Carrie Bradshaw on Sex and the City. She describes it as it as the butterflies feeling you get when you meet someone you really really like, can’t stop thinking about them and want to spend time with them. I liked the concept and decided to apply zsa zsa zsu to that happy loving life feeling which can also give you butterflies. The feeling you get when you are having a really good day, or you start vacation planning and daydreaming of the day you will be landing on Ambergris Caye once again. Lately there has been way too much heavy stuff happening at one time and yesterday it occurred to me that I have lost my zsa zsa zsu. Aside from the fire and 3 wakes there are 5 personal things affecting my mood that I cannot relay as it would involve giving tmi on other peoples issues. After having spent the past two days sleeping and watching tv, I decided it was time to get my @ss up out of bed and do something to get my zsa zsa zsu feeling back.

Artist & Jeweller Mr. Dimas Guerrero: Someone You Want to Meet
Conch shells have always been plentiful on the island. These days tourists bring them home (or try to…you’ll find that they get confiscated from hand luggage), they are used in all sorts of decoration and artisans carve the pretty pink shells into jewelry. But that wasn’t always the case. 40 years ago, the shells were so abundant in the tiny fishing village of San Pedro that they were often laid down as a base before cement was poured and they could be seem in huge piles on the beach. They were pretty much garbage. Dimas Guerrero, born and raised in San Pedro, had an idea. To carve the shells into beads and jewelry to sell to the just beginning tourist industry. Dimas was the first in Belize to do it. And almost 40 years later, he is still crafting jewelry, making art and practising his craft. Look at this gorgeous shell necklace and bracelet. And the very cool display coral.

Do you want to Glamp like a Champ?
As we noted earlier, glamping is no longer the next big thing – it’s now simply big. And now, according to the Daily Beast (a Newsweek affiliate that reaches some three million readers a month, according to the NY Times), Chaa Creek’s Macal River Camp is one of the top best five places in the world to glamp. Yes, in the entire world, and with one country, Botswana taking two of the five coveted spots. There’s no longer any doubt that glamping is big worldwide. And why not? You have all the woodsy fun of camping with none of the dreary bits such as setting up and taking down tents, trying to impress with fire making skills you may not possess, burning fingers (and food) on unfamiliar cooking gear, making difficult bathroom decisions… the list goes on. Now, we’re not for one moment suggesting that true back-to-nature camping experiences aren’t a lot of fun. It’s just that more and more people are opting for the easier route by combining glamour with camping. Voila! Glamping!

Standards are Important!
It does not matter whether you are a small/medium-sized business or a large company, standards are important! To paraphrase ISO, standards are basically rules that ensure quality in the development of a product or deliverance of a service. As a company seeks to internationalize or gain international markets, adapting and complying with quality standards become a MUST! Standards are divided into Technical Standards and Mandatory Standards. In Belize, some of our Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) may not even be aware that there are minimum accepted practices for the production of goods or services. These are known as Technical Standards, but they are NOT mandatory. These cover aspects such as terminology, symbols, and packaging marking of a product. On the other hand, Technical Regulations or “mandatory standards” are specifically designed to protect consumers. Therefore, they carry legal implications for non-compliance. Examples of Technical Regulations for Belize includes Packaging and & Labeling, Liquid & Petroleum Gas, and Labeling for tobacco products and for beverages. Technical regulations cover two tasks:

“Gonna Make You a Star” in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.
Most mornings I try to remember to drag myself from the veranda at around 07.20 hours and move inside the condo we are renting during our build in Ambergris Caye, Belize to watch The Morning Show , the programme broadcast by Reef TV (channel 20). OK the production quality may not come close to the quality of the much larger stations but it is a mine of information relating to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye and pertinent information about Belize in general. The reason for mentioning the programme is that when I was watching on Tuesday a segment of it featured Matthiew Klinck, a Canadian living in Belize who founded and runs the cinema arts and training production programme Make- Belize Films.

Half Moon Caye Wall, The Best Dive Site In Belize
The typical Blue Hole trip in Belize is most often followed up by a lesser advertised, yet more spectacular dive site known as Half Moon Caye Wall. Most dive boats take about 25 minutes to get to this site, the short trip is part of your surface interval after the Blue Hole dive. What makes this site the best in Belize? It is the sheer consistency of diverse wildlife encounters, beautiful corals and gentle conditions; I haven’t seen all that there is to see in the Caribbean but I’ve been told by many who have that this is pretty much as good as it gets. At the surface it’s the sort of scene you’d only expect to find in a photoshopped magazine ad. The pristine crescent shaped tropical island of Half Moon Caye is the backdrop in the distance. It tops off an area where turquoise waters and unbelievable visibility are the norm. Below the surface, there is a gentle sandy slope that starts on the beach of the island in the distance and gradually leads up to a drop off at around 45 Ft/ 13 M. The drop off is bordered by a crust of reef that forms an awe inspiring wall scattered with hidden tunnels; yellow and neon blue sponges, black and lilac sea fans and giant barrel sponges with abstract shaped openings. It goes down to depths of 100 Ft/30 M or more. You start off by dropping over about 30Ft/10M of water and descending on to bright white sand with patches of sea grass and, often, garden eels wave about in the current looking remarkably similar to the patches they imitate.

Wow, 50 Lionfish on one dive this morning!!!
It’s our Lionfish special focus month! Week one, so far, 194 lion fish!!! That’s thousands and thousands of juvenile species saved, imagine how many we are going to save during the whole of September! Please spread the word!!!!

International Sources

Renton gran's Belize mission
A Renton grandmother returned from a mission helping youngsters in Belize— and immediately started work on her next project in the place she calls her “second home”. Shona Hodgson spent three weeks in the country during the school summer holidays with her 17-year-old daughter Siera whom she adopted from Belize in 2010. Thanks to the generosity of people from across Dumbarton, Alexandria and Balloch, Shona went on the trip armed with suitcases full of clothes, shoes, essentials and sportswear which she donated to young people involved with Belize charity the Youth Support Network. She said: “I had a great response from people and also received donations from Renton Craigandro and Dalvait football teams. “The young people in Belize were absolutely delighted with everything we brought. They were so grateful.

Ministry adjusts trade numbers with Belize
In October 2012 Ukraine suddenly kick-started a booming oil products export to Belize. In the first month, Ukraine exported nearly $60 million worth of gasoline to the small Caribbean country. By the end of the last quarter, gasoline exports reached $209 million, according to the State Statistics Service.

Travelogue program set for club
The Paskamansett Bird Club's monthly meeting will take place at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Community Hall of Friends Meeting in South Dartmouth. Jim Spears and Alita Marks will share their travels in Belize, with a focus on wildlife (especially birds), ancient Maya sites, and the challenges of mechanical issues on their cruise ship. Spears will show a selection of his photographs with a primary focus on birds and other wildlife and a secondary focus on the Maya civilization and Belize in general. The photographs were taken with one of the latest digital cameras with a long zoom range; Jim will discuss pros and cons of this type of camera as opposed to the traditional single lens reflex camera with telephoto lenses.

The country of Belize, reimagined.
Belize needed a refresh. After twenty-six years, the country's logo had finally run its course, appearing stale and outdated. The Belizean Tourism Board approached our friends at Olson Advertising in Minneapolis for a complete rebranding. Olson commissioned us to help lead the initiative. The final result of this collaboration was nothing short of exhilarating.

VIDEO: Reason #58 why we like Ambergris Caye, Belize
If you've never passed to Belize or maybe you're not even quite certain specifically where it is, we're going to offer you a Flavor of Belize. Example food, songs and beverage from the Jewel of the Caribbean. See why it is La Isla Bonita! We've been going for years and are really establishing Property there. We want you ahead visit. So we're having this event to celebrate and share what we have actually discovered.

St. George Caye Aquarium Is Top Attraction in Belize
We had just arrived at St. George’s Caye Resort in Belize and thought we would wander around a bit, get a feel for the tiny little island about 8 miles from Belize City. The whole thing is just about two miles long and a stone’s throw wide, so there wasn’t really much to explore. Our hosts suggested we visit the St. George’s Caye Aquarium. They told us to walk south on the beach and we would see the sign. Although it was not at all what we expected, the aquarium quickly became our favorite part of Belize.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
More News...
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Facebook
SanPedroScoop

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Belize Hub
Tacogirl
Belize Adventure
Romantic Travel
Building a New Life
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Snorkel from the beach at Tranquility Bay Resort - Belize Snorkeling - Belize Dive Resort
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Black Orchid Restaurant & Lounge, Our mission is To Provide each and every Guest with a Pleasant Dining Experienceg
Mini Chat

Low Air Fares
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, 2 invisible), 80 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
17425 Members
44 Forums
57404 Topics
443348 Posts

Max Online: 1262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.