16 Underwater Photos – Diving the Belize Barrier Reef

Scuba Diving – Southern Belize

Ever since learning how to scuba dive it has been natural to combine with my interest in photography and record what I experience underwater. This is a collection of my favorite underwater photos from my diving trips in Belize this year.

Belize is home to the second largest reef in the world, a designated world heritage site. Every time I’m in the water in Belize I find something I haven’t previously seen before; and that’s part of what makes scuba so exciting. Come with me as dive below the surface into an alien world packed with sea-life!

Brain Coral

#1 – Colorful Reef’s

Diving near the atolls and reefs in the Southern area of Belize are some of the most colorful I’ve seen yet.

Pipefish

†#2 – Sneaky Pipefish

Attempting to blend in but I found him anyway :)

Green Moray

#3 Mean Green

Moray eels look meaner than they actually are.

Grouper

#4 Hovering Grouper

A Nassau grouper hanging out above a large sponge.

Hawksbill Sea Turtle

#5 The Grumpy Hawksbill

… he must be having a bad day?

Spotted Moray Eel

#6 Fangs

Spotted morays are smaller than their green cousins but have just as much attitude!

Batfish head

#7 Pinocchio

The first batfish I’ve ever seen! Sure are pretty aren’t they?

Batfish

#8 Batfish

Had to add in a profile photo.. hard to beat how weird these guys look!

Spotted Moray Eel

#9 I’d Bite

But I’m stuck in this rock.

Blue Striped Lizardfish

#10 Lizard or Fish?

It’s a blue striped lizardfish! He looks pleasant :)

Green Moray Eel

#11 Mugshot

That’s one only a mother could love!

Porcupine Puffer Fish

#12 Deadly Cuteness

The porcupine puffer fish (Porcupinefish) has an extremely toxic poison called tetrodotoxin that can kill you when eaten, if not prepared properly. But they’re so darn cute!

Sharpnose Puffer Fish

#13 Hide and Seek

This small sharpnose puffer fish tried to hide in a brightly colored sponge to no avail!

Belize Barrier Reef

#14 The Little Guys

It’s always fun to watch the little fish hiding close to the coral for protection.

Glovers Reef

#15 Vibrant Reef

It’s no secret that I dive to sea the wild creatures..† but the reefs here are also easy on the eyes.

Belize Coral Reef

#16 Brainiac

Mesmerizing brain coral!

Dive locations included:

• Glover’s Reef Atoll
  • South Water Caye
  • Silk Cayes
  • Laughing Bird Caye

Diving in Belize’s Southern reefs are nothing short of amazing – If these photos don’t make you want to hop in the water right now I don’t know what would! Diving encounters also included enormous rays, small reef sharks, nurse sharks, a variety of sea turtles, a seahorse, toadfish, and lots of other critters! Not to mention swimming with whale sharks.

Source