Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#47240 - 01/17/02 02:48 AM Paradise, but wear shoes...
Plunk Offline
We were in SP for Xmas week, and had a fantastic time at Sunbreeze.

About 10 days after our return, my son Chip's feet started to itch like crazy...at which point I remembered and reviewed the previous discussion thread about cutaneous larva migrans.

Chip did not have the "tracks" usually associated with this li'l pest --just a distinct little bump on the sole of each foot. Our pediatrician dismissed my suggestion that it was probably "ancylostoma duodenale" or "nector americanus" (better known to his friends as "hookworm"), but guess what? I took two $100 consults to get to a third $150 consult to learn --yes, you guessed it: the Ambergris Caye Message Board had provided the final answer FIRST.

It's pretty easy to treat, so don't worry. Just wear shoes and sandals when you can down there. And if you do get that sever itch: tell you doc what it is and if he/she disagrees, bet 'em their fee!! You might save the $350 I had to spend.

To see the whole earlier thread, search for "migrans".

#47241 - 01/17/02 06:37 AM Re: Paradise, but wear shoes...
makedesigns Offline
Wow -- thanks for the advice.... hadn't heard anything about that yet. Sure will wear my flip-flops everywhere!!!

Glad you had a great vacation... looking forward to the same in May.

#47242 - 01/20/02 05:12 PM Re: Paradise, but wear shoes...
Bad Dog Offline
Greetings Plunk,

We were also in San Pedro the same time and I was amazed at the number of people walking barefooted. A couple of times we suggested that this practice was not smart at all. Received a couple of weird responces and then stopped.

We did have a chance later in our stay to walk barefooted in the sand at Jaguar Reef Lodge, south of Hopkins Village. Great little place with a very clean beach that is swimable.

#47243 - 01/20/02 05:52 PM Re: Paradise, but wear shoes...
Marty Offline
i go barefoot the whole time i'm in town and i never have any problems.

#47244 - 01/20/02 07:32 PM Re: Paradise, but wear shoes...
alcmaeon Offline
Anywhere you have dogs running free doing their biz you run the chance of worms. Sandals will not help either as they let sand and dust get in between your soles and the sandal. But honestly, don't worry about it, its not that comman. You run the same risk of eating or drinking something with a lil bug in it and even that doesn't happen as much as comman wisdom would suggest. Remember, you could get West Nile Virus in New York City or Detroit, but odds are its not going to happen.

#47245 - 01/21/02 02:50 AM Re: Paradise, but wear shoes...
rickcheri Offline
Yea Marty!! Rick and I kick off our shoes at "Tropic" and don't put them back on for atleast 10 days...never a problem like this!!?? Then AA makes us put our shoes back on to fly home!!!

#47246 - 01/21/02 04:35 AM Re: Paradise, but wear shoes...
Rhon Offline
Well Rickcheri these days AA will want you to take your shoes off so don't worry. Seriously when we were there last we all had our shoes off for most of the time there with no problems. 25 days and counting......Rhonda

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (dabunk), 32 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,056 Topics
462,294 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.