The flatness of the Belizean savannah seems to go on absurdly far inland. Traveling west, towards the border with Guatemala, I only saw the first upward wrinkles of topography once I neared Belmopan, Belize's new capital, established in the 1960s for the very fact that the place was above sea level, thus offering protection against the western Caribbean's relentless stream of hurricanes. While I found the rolling hills refreshing, I noticed something even more refreshing once I reached the town of San Ignacio: a growing culture of street art.

Why did the artists choose San Ignacio? Perhaps it is the town's compact walkability, offering a decent daily audience; perhaps it's the town's relative safeness; perhaps the artists are inspired by the novelty of hilly streets in Belize. Below are some specimens I found between the great-smelling tortilla shops and restaurants.

with the approval of Belize's National Institute of Culture and History

depicts colonialism in Belize (British Honduras), hurricane damage, mayan civilization, death by machete
The above mural depicts Belize’s history, colonial warts and all. Click to enlarge.

Jimmy Hendrix stencil

Cassette tape stencil

Atom stencil

Street art by Tourist in San Ignacio, Belize

Source