Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#473242 - 09/24/13 06:26 AM Condo Mania
3 beer story Offline
Newbie here, but I am visiting Ambergris Caye next year, and cannot help seeing all of the new beachfront condos/condotels under construction. Are these being bought by ex pats around the world, or just as an investment? Can they buy all of them, or will a handful of the projects atrophy and die a natural if painful death? Is there a bubble forming about to burst?

#473250 - 09/24/13 07:56 AM Re: Condo Mania [Re: 3 beer story]
ragman Offline
First of all, I don't think there is that much new construction going on. Some of the construction maybe projects that where not completed do to poor financing; planning and other problems. Most of these are not actively under construction but maybe completed someday.

Real estate did not take the beating that it took in the USA down here. Some units are bought by people who will rent them out and hope to retire here in the future. I haven't heard of too many buying to flip units but I suppose it happens.

There are many good condos here that are reasonably priced that will fulfill their obligations to the owners and be pleasant places to live. If you are worried about preconstruction projects or half constructed projects why don't you purchase a completed or nearly completed project?

Please note that I have nothing to do with the real estate market here and I'm not an expert. I do own a condo here and have for over 5 years. I think I have a good understanding of the finances and workings of that particular place in paradise and I'm happy with my purchase.

Do what I did, come down on vacation look around and talk to people. After several visits find a real estate agent who has been around awhile and has a good reputation. Then and only then make your decision. To come down here, spend a few days and make a decision like that does not make sense to me. Good luck.
Somewhere on a beach in Belize

#473251 - 09/24/13 08:00 AM Re: Condo Mania [Re: 3 beer story]
Judyann H. Offline
Hello 3 beer story....I would be out of my professional League to comment on the future of any specific Condo Projects...However, I can say that there have been lots of projects going on for many years....Nothing new....We purchased our first condo while living in the US back in 2004 and used it as a home away from home and vacation rental. We sold it for a profit and never regretted the investment. Now we live here full time in another Condo that we enjoy (both units are on the beach) There are many projects on the island that do quite well and a couple that are in legal battles while others sit on the bank auctions month after month.....No simple answer and lots of research is needed to answer these questions. You will find several qualified Realtors on this message board who can offer more information.
My friends call me Judyann

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Safecracker, 1 invisible), 51 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,742 Topics
461,319 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.