Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47405 01/19/02 03:08 PM
O
OP Offline
O
My wife and I plan to be down in April... the reef sounds fantastic... but it has always been important for us to be able to snorkel at the property we're staying at. Does anyone know which (if any) places have snorkeling on-site? Thanks!

#47406 01/19/02 04:58 PM
A
A
If you are looking to snorkel coral right off the property on AC, the answer is none (to my knowledge ). You can snorkel off any of the beachfront properties but they all have sand and turtle grass off the beach. You can see a ton of life in that grass but its not coral reef snorkeling. Ramons has tons of structure built to bring in fish around there dock and its worth a snorkel.

If you want to snorkel coral you will have to go by boat. However several of the properties have kayaks available which you could paddle out to the reef very easily.

Unless you have a dive flag float don't try to swim to the reef--way to much fast boat traffic all day long. Even with a dive flag I'd think twice before doing it if you are in a propert in or close to San Padro.

I wanted a property where I could snorkel off the beach just like you too, so we scouted out lilky prospects. I came to the conclusion that heading to the north side of the island, at a resort that has kayaks, would be the best choice. The barrier reef is closer to AC as you go north so shorter kayak time. Boat traffic is less, and so should be safer.

I forget the resort's name (somebody else on the board will know) but there is a resort directly on the shore from Mexico Rocks. Our guide at Mexico Rocks told us it had changed hands and had a new name. It would be an easy kayak out to a good snorkel sight.

Enjoy!

#47407 01/19/02 05:20 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for the advice... I'll try to find the new name of the place. I assume you had a good time after all...?

#47408 01/19/02 05:50 PM
I think the resort by Mexico Rocks is Avalon.

Dare To Deviate
#47409 01/20/02 01:34 AM
KC Offline
There is some coral not far off the end of our pier, which our guests have paddled the kayak out to. They said it was some pretty good snorkeling there, though I have not tried it yet. Perhaps when I'm down in March. This is North, about 4.5 miles North of San Pedro. Also hope to find out exactly where Mexico Rocks is this time, and see if we can paddle there.

kATHY

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#47410 01/20/02 09:34 AM
KC.....I'm sure I just haven't been paying attention....but what and where is your place? Is it a house?...or something larger.
Trying to locate where you are. Somewhere in the area of Journey's End?

Thanks,
Tammy

#47411 01/20/02 10:06 AM
B
B
Greetings Ottomaya,

We have just returned from 5 weeks in Belize and found no snorkeling from the beachs in San Pedro. If you are willing to stay at South Water Caye, there is truely awesome sites there. In one morning, right off the beach we saw the following; spotteed eagke ray, yellow sting ray, southern stringray, three green morays, trunkfish, hogfishes, all of the parrotfishes, trumpetfish, and a pair of sand divers, crabs and lobster just to name a very few!! This is the spot we will return to if we ever get a chance. There are two places to stay. We would recommend the Pelican Resort on South Water Caye, although there is no hot water.
email if you have further questions, [email protected]

The Original Bad Dog
#47412 01/20/02 10:07 AM
B
B
and I forgot the awesome scrawled cowfish. Ain't it amazing what mother nature has done!?!

The Original Bad Dog
#47413 01/20/02 01:21 PM
A
A
Yeah, Avalon is the place by Mexico Rocks. You could also head out to Glover's Reef for a great snorkel stay.

#47414 01/20/02 01:23 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Good info... thanks... I'm tyring to pick a dive destination for my 50th... my wife does not dive and it's always been best for us when we/she can snorkel right at the hotel... we've stayed in a couple of such places on Cozumel and St. Lucia... do you know of any?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.