FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

FIFA World Cup Trophy to make historic visit to Belize on November 7th
Bowen and Bowen Limited, the official owners of the Coca-Cola franchise in Belize, are gearing up to host a historic visit of the FIFA World Cup Trophy. The much anticipated visit will take place on November 7th, but ahead of the arrival of one the most prized sport trophies in world, Bowen and Bowen is launching a month long promotional campaign. The campaign was launched on Monday October 7th and Bowen and Bowen are hoping that the tour will be a once- in- a- lifetime experience for Belize.

Loggerhead Turtle rescued and treated after shark attack
The turtle was placed on an antibiotic treatment in order to prevent infection, and regular cleaning of her wounds is necessary for a full recovery. “Assisting sea turtles in distress is an important part of what the Ambergris Caye Marine Turtle Program is all about. It is exciting when we can do something for one of these awesome prehistoric animals who have, for centuries, managed to survive as a population,” said Kirah Forman, biologist at Hol Chan Marine Reserve. “We are hopeful this turtle will be another success story, and will be able to swim off into the sea to continue making her contributions to the ecosystems.” The turtle is being housed at the Hol Chan Office and is expected to do a full recovery. The San Pedro Sun congratulates all those who put in a little of their time to continue rescuing Belize’s wildlife, and we certainly hope this turtle recovers and can continue gracing the Caribbe

Counting the ways to spend your days on Ambergris Caye: Sailing on the Rum Punch II (#3)
Ahh, the Rum Punch II. Where do we begin? Probably not with the drink, because we’d never leave the dock if that were the case (yes, George’s rum punch is deliciously lethal). The Rum Punch II harkens to the days of yore, when the best way to enjoy Caribbean sailing did not include big motors or modern day amenities. George’s knowledge of the sea makes you itch to take a turn steering the boat that has sailed the Caribbean since 1985 (and he happily obliges, giving everyone a taste of real sailing). The Rum Punch II offers full day trips, sailing, snorkeling and beach bar-b-q, with a stop at our sister island, Caye Caulker; manatee watching trips, sunset cruises or customize your sailing experience. Add to the experience, some sips of George’s special cocktail: a blend of coconut rum, Caribbean dark rum, pineapple juice and tropical punch. Wowza! A trip to Ambergris Caye can’t be complete if you don’t have a cold rum punch aboard the delightfully quirky, old-timey Rum Punch II!

Misc Belizean Sources

Kontiki Neighborhood Watch Installs Street Signs
The Kontiki Neighborhood Watch has achieved one of their big goals this week with the installation of street signs. It's great to see a community come together and achieve sucesses like this. The pictures really say it all. Thanks, and well done, KNW!

Paul Nabor Coming to Cayo
Paul Nabor, the great Belizean singer and songwriter, will be coming to Cayo for 2 shows the weekend before Garifuna Settlement day. He'll be playing at the Soul Project on November 16th, and the Cayo Welcome Center on November 17th. A big thanks to Running W Meats for sponsoring the concerts.

Rotaract's See Clean See Green
The Rotaract Club of San Ignacio has pictures from their See Clean See Green art competition they had at the Cayo Welcome Center, which was the night before they had their Macal River clean up campaign. "Judging of our Final Posters took Place on Friday, October 11th, 2013, with Finalists coming from Mount Carmel High School and Sacred Heart College. The club was making early preprations of the location since around 4:30p.m. There were young local artists presentations, Rotaract Trivia Questions and Prizes, and announcement and distribution of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Consolation Prizes. We take this moment to thank our Sponsors for the Paint/poster Prizes who were: Fuego Bar & Grill Belize, Cahal Pech Village Resort, San Ignacio Belize, Atlantic Bank San Ignacio Branch, Hun ch'ik Tours, and Belize Telemedia Limited"

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Hicaquena Luna Novelo wins body building competition in Colorado
You all might remember Luna Novelo? Luna is one half of the set of twin girls born to local Hicaqueno Jim Novelo and his former wife Cindy. Well, Luna has grown up … and boy is she fit! She used to be a cheerleader at her high school in Kansas. These days she is married to Matt Ellis. And she is a weight lifter. On Saturday, October 12th she competed in the NPC Natural Colorado Open Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure, Bikini & Physique Championships in the Bikini division and won first place!!!! Luna trained with Team Heugly for the show. In one of the pics you can see her standing with one of her trainers, Tiffany Heugly. Another photo is of her with her biggest cheerleader, he husband Matt.

NEMO Awareness meeting scheduled
Thursday Oct. 17th at 7pm.

Blogs

TripAdvisor Charitable Foundation
One day I received the private message below from the TripAdvisor Support Team about how they wanted to do charitable donations on behalf of their destination experts. I thought it was a great thing they were doing and wrote back and asked if I could blog it when the results were in. I got a yes and they would let me know when they were ready to let the cat out of the bag. In appreciation of your dedication to our travel community, TripAdvisor has allocated a large fund to be donated on your behalf to some internationally recognized and respected organizations that do great work for the benefit of people and destinations worldwide. You’ve volunteered so much of your time helping other travelers plan memorable and enjoyable trips to the destinations that you know and love, and we’re excited to be able to make a contribution to the betterment of those destinations through this effort. We’re pleased to announce that we’ll be making a donation of $250 (USD) on behalf of each and every Destination Expert. All you need to do is tell us where you’d like your donation to go. You may choose to allocate your donation among one or more of these organizations: Doctors Without Borders, Save the Children, The Nature Conservancy, Conservation International or FINCA.

Why Expats Fall in Love with Belize
Recent years have seen expats flocking to Belize at an ever-increasing rate. While it’s long been a favorite of scuba divers and explorers, what is it about this Central American nation that’s brought it onto the radar of people looking to relocate there for the long haul? Here are a few of the reasons more and more North Americans are turning to Belize as their retirement destination of choice. 1. It’s physically and linguistically close to the U.S. Belize is the northeastern-most of all the Central American nations, making it the easiest of all to access from the U.S. You can be there in as little as two hours from Houston, or closer to three from a number of other cities in the eastern United States. Sure, expats move abroad looking for a change from their former lives and culture. But it’s still nice to be able to get back to visit friends and family without too much time or hassle. Not to mention, the shorter, less expensive flights make loved ones more likely to come visit you as well. Besides, despite its proximity, Belize offers plenty in the way of new and different experiences.

Simple Pizza Dough
This pizza dough in very easy to make. In this video I show you how to make the basic dough, but in future videos we'll be adding spices to jazz up the taste of our pizzas.

International Sources

VIDEO: TRAVEL: So...I went to Belize and..
spent a few days out in my home land this summer to explore my country from the perspective of an adult. I have not been to Belize in quite some time and wanted to visit my family and seek opportunity for future projects and relationships. There are no bells and whistles added to this video, it was a random clip assortment put together just to push the video content out to the friends and family. While putting it together i was inspired to play around with some weird clip add ins that i felt were necessary to throw in before or after a clip. It was also something to keep me entertained for a lil while. dont let me hold you up... Check it out.. BELIZE

World’s 10 Most Romantic Places To Retire
Fields and pastures, trees and jungle, rivers and livestock. Here and there a small house of concrete block or timber, in the distance the outline of the Maya Mountains. This is the region of Belize known as Cayo. You reach Cayo via one of this country’s three highways, the one headed west. The land in Cayo is fertile. Farmers grow corn and sugarcane, watermelons and citrus. You see Mennonites driving horse-drawn carts and children walking home from school. Everyone going about his or her business, not much bothered by government shutdowns or the mounting deficit. Here, in this land of escape, where life is simple, those things don’t seem to matter or even to register. Life here revolves around the land and values independence above all else.

Central America on the way to further progress
Central America consists of seven independent countries: Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. This continent covers 521,504 square kilometers and has an estimated population of 45 million people (2013). In recent years, the average contribution of the poultry sector to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Central America has been estimated at 2.5% and 12% to the agricultural GDP. The capacity of the poultry business varies, depending on the size of economy and consumption of each country in this region. Belize is a small country with a population of only 356,660 citizens. This country has a surplus of meat and eggs, because its demand is totally covered by domestic supply. According to the annual report of the Belize Poultry Association (BPA) in 2012, production of poultry meat totalled only 17,476 tonnes, with a per capita consumption of 49 kilos. On the other hand, egg consumption fluctuated between 122 and 125 eggs per capita, reaching a national production of about 44.6 million eggs.

Belize Biology Odyssey
This summer, eighteen Hendrix students explored the marine environment in Belize as part of a marine biology taught by Dr. Jenn Dearolf. DR. JENN DEAROLF, ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF BIOLOGY: So in the marine biology class we’ve studied coral reefs and spent a lot of time studying the organisms that they would see on the coral reefs. It's very difficult to expose students here to the marine environment. We study things here at Hendrix, but then we need to get out into the marine environment and actually see it and so we went down to Belize to do that

Exploring an ancient Maya city in Belize
The great cities of the Ancient Maya vanished more than 1000 years ago. Some of the most impressive have been restored, while others are still under investigation. Milpa is one such city, its rapid rise, sudden fall and complex urban structure shedding new light on the precariousness of Maya existence. Professor of Archaeology at Boston University Norman Hammond will give a free public lecture on his work exploring the ancient Maya city of La Milpa in Belize, Central America, this Thursday, at the University of Waikato.