Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#474966 - 10/16/13 06:20 AM Public Consultation : Land Use Development Study
Marty Offline
Invitation: Public Consultation on the Land Use Development Study for Ambergris Caye

The Sustainable Tourism Program (STP) of The Ministry of Tourism and Culture and The Belize Tourism Board, in conjunction with The San Pedro Town Council and Consultant Oriol Monfort will be holding a public consultant on Tuesday 22nd October at 6:30PM at The Lion’s Den on Barrier Reef Drive, San Pedro.

The purpose of this consultation is:

1. To update the community on the Baseline Data Collection, Mapping and planning activities to date.
2. To present the community the draft land use plans and development guidelines.
3. Invite comments and feedback on the Land Use Plans as presented.

All potential stakeholders to include the businesses and residents of Ambergris Caye, real estate agents, industry associations, NGOs and civil society are encouraged to attend.

#475403 - 10/22/13 06:45 AM Re: Public Consultation : Land Use Development Study [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline
Today is the day! Don't forget to attend!

#475425 - 10/22/13 08:01 AM Re: Public Consultation : Land Use Development Study [Re: Marty]
Phil Offline
I've read this several times and have no idea what the meeting is about. Anyone care to enlighten me?

#475477 - 10/22/13 06:29 PM Re: Public Consultation : Land Use Development Study [Re: Marty]
elbert Offline
Usually they serve the purpose of being able to say 'We had a public meeting!'. Remember the minister of Tourism has another agenda for the lands designated for the mexico reserve project.
He hasn't signed yet and says he won't until he gets his specail interest group their piece of the pie.
ACWC initially stated that the concept paper was presented to Honorable Manuel Heredia Jr. on December 15, 2011 and he gave his full support to the project. Two public consultations were also held on January 5th and August 21, 2012. The local government seemed to be onboard with the project.
But later after hearing what effect it might have on development projects that are owned by contributors to his political campaign Heredia said, “Once the proposal allocates areas for dredging for persons that own property within the area, the project has my full support.”
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#475488 - 10/22/13 10:57 PM Re: Public Consultation : Land Use Development Study [Re: Phil]
Short Offline
It is a masterplan for the entire island, determining what can or can't be developed and how much. Enlarging the Hol Chan Marine Park and adding the Mexico Rocks to that I think. There are other areas that are becoming protected like Mata Grande National Park (that is in the lagoon from Journeys end till Costa Maya) and the North of the Island. Our Mayor asked to make the plans available for the public at the town board and the BTB office in San Pedro / the public library buildng. That should take a week and ideas and suggestions can be given for another month.
Live and let live

#475522 - 10/23/13 07:57 AM Re: Public Consultation : Land Use Development Study [Re: Marty]
elbert Offline
The UDP should be ashamed to use the term Master Plan. Three decades of stall and postpone We should look at this as another smoke screen while they permit the clearing of mangrove and dredging of the sea bed. A politician can't make money from selling developers permits and privileges if the island is in reserve or a Master Plan is ratified so it's just not going to be allowed. The public side of their face will say, yes great idea' the other says not until I've gotten all the money I can get out of this.

#475529 - 10/23/13 09:56 AM Re: Public Consultation : Land Use Development Study [Re: Marty]
SFJeff Offline
FInd myself agreeing w/ Elbert here... So they have a meeting at the Lion's Den to validate postponing stuff another month... then of course it'll be the holidays, so nothing will get done/signed. Then they'll be all kinds of beginning of the year stuff to attend to... This (the MX Rocks/Mata-Cayo Francis Reserve) is not going to be signed off on for another half year... any wagers?

And RE: "Master Plan" for the island??? That's existed for how long? Is it three decades? Was just never made "law" rather than simply a "guideline" ...1/2 the projects on the island (and most of the ones that started/stalled/stopped) would never have begun if the Master Plan was actually ratified.

#475532 - 10/23/13 11:06 AM Re: Public Consultation : Land Use Development Study [Re: SFJeff]
elbert Offline
Originally Posted By: SFJeff
FInd myself agreeing w/ Elbert here...

Jeff you should seek help this could be the start of being a Cynic :-)
The moneys already donated to the reserve could be a problem if the reserve isn't declared a reserve.
Would be a shame to loose such a large grant over the greed of a Minster. Especially a Minister of Tourism.
When is the next election?

#475537 - 10/23/13 12:19 PM Re: Public Consultation : Land Use Development Study [Re: Marty]
Amanda Syme Offline
They announced that the Master plan should become legislated and effective starting in 6 months. This is the final opportunity for the public and stakeholders to submit recommendations, suggestions and complaints.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,698 Topics
461,211 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.