Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47506 01/22/02 04:33 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi. Has anyone stayed at this place. It looks pretty good on the internet pics. I am looking for a place within walking distance to town, with a nice beach, but quiet. Also looking for fun bars and good restaurants nearby. Thanks

G
G
Haven't stayed there myself, visited Lorie (who runs it) and friends who stay there. It's quiet, not a far walk to anything and everyone I've talked has enjoyed staying there and Lorie is great!!! Go for it!

I've stayed there and visited a few times. First off, it's not on the beach but a lot or so back. The rooms are small but comfortable enough. The rooms on the north side probably are better, as there's a wall close to the rooms on the south side. It's really more of a small hotel or inn, with I think six rooms on the first floor and the owner's quarters above, than a B&B, but breakfast is included. Depending on the rate, it could be a good place if you don't need to be on the beach or have a pool.

For not much more money (US$95 including tax), you might also look at Coconuts which has larger rooms, includes a continental breakfast and use of bikes, and is on the beach (but again no pool) and is only a little farther south.

--Lan Sluder

Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
UpClose Central America
San Pedro Cool (coming soon)

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
B
B
I've stayed at Changes in Latitudes - it's very nice, basic, good breakfast, and a fun owner/manager.

Cap'n Ron
Reef Adventures
San Pedro, Belize
M
M
I had a wonderful time at Changes in Latitudes. I stayed with some friends for 10 days in June. Lori and crew really took care of us: setting up some diving instruction, tours and day trips, and some delicious breakfasts. All at a great price. The water is about 100 feet away, bars and restaurants are a short walk (5 minutes) along the beach.

B
B
Go There/ Go There/ Go There.
We have traveled to different Islands every year since we got married. This Island and Changes in Lattitudes are THE BEST !!!!!!
It's everything your asking for. We stayed for two weeks. The owner (Lori) was great about hooking us up with the right boat captain to suit our interests. Go There.
The Jacks

S
S
I stayed at Latitudes in june small rooms but incredibly clean. The breakfast is the best on the island and the staff is fantastic. If your looking for a B&B atmosphere this is the place for you. Tell Lori I said hi.
Rick Halcyon Days Travel
Ontario Canada

I stay there everytime I go to the island.Lori is great and will see that your stay is great.She knows everyone in the tour busines and can set you up with all the tours.

W
W
Hey - Changes in Latitudes is one of the best B&B's I have stayed in (except maybe a couple in Ireland where you can't beat the bacon and the bread!). Not sure where this Lan person is coming from. The rooms are European style with comfortable beds, hot showers and airconditioning. I thought it was great value! You get a breakfast that you would pay about $30 BZE for anywhere else. I experienced a mixture of what Lori calls a Canadian and Belize breakfast menu! I had everything from eggs with fryjacks or homemade tortillas, to sausage and back bacon. There was Belizean coffee, cereal, fresh fruits, and lime juice also on offer every morning. The kitchen staff are adorable and made for a happy to start to every day!

I liked the view from Lori's upper deck where you can see the waves breaking over the reef and the garden area is beautiful. I sat there to enjoy a deadly Belikan and write my postcards after a day of snorkeling. Fortunately she is close enough to walk to town to post them!

I had one of the rooms by the wall but found it great as it kept out the hot sun and kept down the noise from the street. Lori said it also helped reduce dust from those beautiful sand/dirt roads. I enjoyed walking out my door to the site of climbing flowers over the caribbean blue wall. I thought it added a touch of class for that island feel.

Travelling on a budget, I liked the fact that Lori would let me use the kitchen to do some of my own dinners. There is even a microwave and a blender (I mixed my own cocktails!). There is even a barbeque you can use. The Aussie dollar was worth the same as the Belizean dollar so dinning out every night was too expensive for me. (I know.... they call the Aussie dollar the Pacific peso!). Lori also offers discounted room rates for longer stays and people who book more rooms. (I asked because I am going back again with a few friends!).

In short, I found Changes in Latitudes, really clean, friendly, fun and in a great location close to the beach, town and grocery store etc. Lori really gave me a great orientation right down to personal safety. She "customized" and organised my tour inland for me and offered good advice about saving costs. She had this great night for all the guests when she orgnaised our own personal punta dancing presentations. I had a go at dancing but I definitely need more practice! .

Now, I can't say this for sure but I met some people one night who were talking about how they hated showering in the stinky water. I think one couple were staying at Coconuts as I remember the cute name. Anyway, I asked Lori and she said that well water on the island stinks but lots of hotels on the island use it to save money. Just to be sure, I'd check to find out if the rooms have well or town water, hot water (many places don't) and airconditioning.

I came across Lori's B&B in several guide books including the Rough Guide. Haven't seen Lan's review but I would check out some of the other guide books. B&B's are not supposed to be Holiday Inn's! I wouldn't trade the experience I had at Changes in Latitudes in any way!

Hey Lori - if you are reading this..... hope to see you next year! Pray the Aussie dollar improves!

Chris
S
S
Staying with Lori and the guests at CIL is like staying with family, and is a great way to let the feel of the islands into your heart and mind. Lori is the best there is at arranging any kind of trip, and that service alone makes staying here worthwhile. But on top of that breakfast is great, the staff is friendly as can be, you are almost guaranteed to meet other great people staying there as well. I was forced to spend a night at a fancy hotel on the caye because I booked late, and I couldn't wait to get back to Lori's place. Have Fun!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.