Prime Minister Dean Barrow arrived back in the country on Friday. The media attempted to obtain comment from the Prime Minster in regards to the ongoing slew of allegations against Ministers of Cabinet on what has been coined as “Visa Hustling”. Minister of State in the Ministry of Transport, Edmund Castro, is accused of being part of the visa hustling business. Today we asked another government minister on whether or not he knows anything about visa hustling within the government. Minister of Tourism, Manuel Heredia, told Love News today, that he recalls of recommending an individual to obtain a visa but was never involved in any of the nefarious allegations that are surfacing.

HON. MANUEL HEREDIA

“Definitely I know nothing whatsoever; I can guarantee you that Cabinet has not collectively, as I was asked before, nothing that is misleading nothing collectively has ever been spoken about in Cabinet.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“Have you yourself been approached by someone for you to facilitate a visa for that person?” 

HON. MANUEL HEREDIA

“Personally, I think everybody knows me as a straight forward person as someone who will never try to do anything out of the way so I don’t think they will even try.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“Have you ever heard anything within your government that any other ministers may have been doing so?”

HON. MANUEL HEREDIA

“Not at this point and I believe it is not true and I hope it is not true but what I can say is that all of us is supposed to be working forward to ensure that we have the best image. I know that we have a Prime Minister that this country has ever had and he will not play with anyone of us.  So hence I believe that our colleagues are looking forward and making sure that we can produce a tremendous good job for this country and looking forward to the best interest of this country.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“Have you yourself done a recommendation?”

HON. MANUEL HEREDIA

“As I mentioned to channel 7, yes, for one particular time for a business partner from Caye Caulker that his wife wanted to come to Belize but I gave him a letter of recommendation.  That is normal if you want to seek a job I can give you that similar to that; if it is a genuine person that is there is nothing wrong; if you do it in excess definitely it sends a wrong message but personally, just one during my whole five and a half years I have spent in Government.”

Minister of Tourism, Manuel Heredia.

LOVEFM