Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#47612 - 01/24/02 03:25 PM Panty Ripper
BankerWoman Offline
Anybody willing to part with the closely held knowledge of just what exactly IS a panty ripper? I figured if I read enough posts someone as uninitiated as I would ask but.....no one so far. I realize I may be leading myself into a snipe hunt but OK guys, give. It's obviously some sort of alcoholic libation but WHAT, may I ask, is it composed of and is it humanly possible to drink one and survive to see the next sunrise?

#47613 - 01/24/02 03:51 PM Re: Panty Ripper
KC Offline
LOL! Though you must understand that I have not partaken myself... I have heard that a panty ripper is coconut rum and pineapple juice. I can't give testimony as to if anyone survives until the next morning.

#47614 - 01/24/02 03:52 PM Re: Panty Ripper
CHOOCHOO Offline
BW,

Although I'm not much of an authority on adult beverages, it is my understanding that the infamous "panty ripper" is some combination of pineapple juice (or cane juice) and rum. I suspect that there may another ingredient or two. From what I gather it is a favorite among many of the board members, and is served in copius amounts all over the island. Apparently most have survived.

Personally, on the rare occasion that I allow myself alcholic beverages in San Pedro, my tastes tend more towards vodka and gin. Perhaps even a sip of Blue Curacao for really special circumstances.

CC

#47615 - 01/24/02 04:49 PM Re: Panty Ripper
BankerWoman Offline
Jeez, guys. I've never been to Belize (yet!) and have been drinking that for years (in moderation, of course). Now, mind you, we don't have access to any of that incredible Belizean rum in Iowa but we just call it "Malibu (inferior brand to be sure)and pineapple juice". Leave it to us Midwesterners to express ourselves in the plainest possible language...

Thanks for the info. Will be certain to partake (again in moderation, you know how conservative us Ioweeguns are)of this tropical delight in April. Hope to meet you all!

#47616 - 01/24/02 05:39 PM Re: Panty Ripper
CHOOCHOO Offline
BW,

I'm sure ifyou start peakn' around behind some of those corn silos you'll be able to find a bottle of coconut rum. I mean afterall, even though you're in Iower, you still are in the US. Right? You're going to have to work on this a bit before your trip. Real rum has a alcohol content somewhat higher than the brand Malibu. Or so I've been told, not from personal experience. No, no.

#47617 - 01/24/02 07:40 PM Re: Panty Ripper
BankerWoman Offline
Nope, no corn silos here. We live in a community of 1/2 million people so silos would take up too much people-space I'm afraid (no hogs or cows, either. We are truly deprived). But I'll keep looking for that hi-test coconut rum to get myself in practice. And speaking of coconuts...am hoping to eat some really fresh coconut while I'm there. Can tell you for a fact that there are no coconuts falling from the trees in Iowa and what we can get comes from far away and not nearly as fresh as what I'm hoping to experience. If the worst should happen and there be no coconuts available on AC I guess I will just have to be content with what I can find bottled. What a shame.

#47618 - 01/24/02 08:05 PM Re: Panty Ripper
CHOOCHOO Offline
BW,

Fresh coconuts? OK, here's what ya do in San Pedro. First you need to find this funny lookin' tree (by Iower standards) with kind of a spiral trunk and a clump of leaves at the top that look like Alfalfa's hairdo. This is a palm, and with luck a coconut palm. Now you stand underneath the tree and shake the trunk as hard as you can for as long as you can. DO NOT LOOK UP! This will ruin the ultimate thrill when the fresh coconut "shows up".

#47619 - 01/24/02 08:12 PM Re: Panty Ripper
Mike and Daphne Ryan Offline
BW et al.

When Daphne and I were getting the ingredients for our wedding cake (a West Indian black cake, of course), we stopped at a liquor store in Greenwich Village to get some white rum (main ingredient in black cake). Sweet, shy, and demure Daphne asked the clerk if he had any white rum. He showed us some bacardi (blech). She asked, "Don't you have any J. Wray and Nephew?"

He allowed as how he didn't think so, but Daphne spotted a bottle way up on a high shelf (nothin' wrong with HER eyes). He brought it down. The clerk said, "Lady, this is 151 proof!"

"Oh," said Daphne, "Don't you have the 180?"

"That's illegal!" said the astonished clerk.

"I guess some relatives must have brought the overproof stuff back from Jamaica. Well, If that's all you have, I guess we'll take it" she said sweetly.

The clerk sold it to us with trepidation, constantly reminding her that is was "really stong stuff". God knows what he thought I was doing with her. He shook his head as we left.

The black cake was great! Pieces lasted in our refrigerator for three years. Had to wrap it in wax paper, though --- it ate through the aluminum foil. Probably the plums.

Michael the Monster

#47620 - 01/24/02 08:22 PM Re: Panty Ripper
BankerWoman Offline
Now, Mr. Choochoo you surely be pullin' my leg mon.

We may have snow and ice up here (not this winter!) but we haven't completely frozen our brains. Glad to know you have those funny lookin' trees on AC but I'm not likely to stand real close and wait for the arrival of my appointed choice of fruit (nut? Yes, botanically I think that is correct.) Pretty sure that would be a do-not-pass-GO, gold-plated ticket to the ER. Are you trying to kill off all the travellers to AC in order to keep the 180 proof for yourself ;> ) ?

#47621 - 01/24/02 09:30 PM Re: Panty Ripper
Debbie Offline
Ah yes.... The panty ripper. A concoction fit for the Gods..... Truly yummy. Pinapple and coconut rum. Simple yet heavenly. By all means try it.

LOL @ Chooch and his tidy bowl drink!! A must, I assure you. You will never view the world the same way again.
Debbie

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,048 Topics
462,276 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.