Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47622 01/24/02 10:30 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Never been to Ambergris Caye...how well do the folks speak English there? Do I need a "Spanish for Dummies" book?
AND, planning a day trip to Mayan Ruins, it has been suggested that I wear long pants and hiking boots...any suggestions would be appreciated....arriving 2/6...counting the dayz!!! Does anyone have any Jimmy Buffett music?? [Linked Image] One Particular Harbour??

#47623 01/24/02 10:38 AM
B
B
Greetings SunChaser,

We lost our virginity to Belize just this past 5 weeks. No need for the "SFD" book. Everyone we encounter spoke perfect English and a couple of times when I used my basis Spanish,local people would say "I do not speak any Spanish.

Yes, you should take hiking boots with you. Also, we needed light jackets at night on serveral occasions. Pack bug spray from home because a small can of Off is $16BZE. ($8us)

Do not miss Sweet Basil for lunch. Just north os the cut, open 10-5 daily. Tell Sergi he still needs a haircut. (from Doug and Shawn).

The very best snorkeling we had was at South Water Caye. If you get that far south.

The Original Bad Dog
#47624 01/24/02 01:07 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the info...that was just something my husband brought up, he is still feeling a little leary of this trip out of the country.

#47625 01/24/02 02:19 PM
M
M
Sunchaser --

Tell him that this was formerly British Honduras. It was a Crown Colony -- you know, like Bermuda and Barbados. English is the language of the country.

They make every school child take eight years of Spanish, I've been told, so that they can converse with their neighbors (Mexico and Guatemala). And there are a good many hispanic people there who speak Spanish at home, not unlike up in New Yoahk, except in Belize everybody's English is MUCH better.

Michael the Monster

[This message has been edited by Mike and Daphne Ryan (edited 01-24-2002).]

#47626 01/24/02 03:39 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, I will be sure to tell him. He is just uneasy about the entire trip with the things that have happened in the past 4 months. So, will you be a part of the crowd at BC's on Sunday, the 10th of Feb? Where the heck is that place, anyway??

#47627 01/24/02 04:49 PM
M
M
Sunchaser - (There were some floating barge-houses named after you.)

We're planning to be there. I have long blond hair, a long white forked beard. My wife is honey coloured with black hair with white strands (she's had 'em since I met here when she was 24), sort of East Indian looking hair, one part of her multi-ethnic heritage (African, South American native, & Welsh as well - your typical West Indian stock - no China Royal, though. Makes her look exactly like a Polynesian.)

Someone else should tell you exactly where the Beach Club is. It's near the center of everything - near Fido's I think. But it's not like you can get lost in San Pedro. (Well, depending on how many blue holes you drink, I suppose.)

MtM

#47628 01/24/02 08:07 PM
SunChaser-Tell your hubby he'll love it.You can talk easily with anyone you meet and they all are very inerested in listening to you.BC'S is not for beach club although it seem's like one. It is named after the owners.We will also be there with Mike and Daphne.It is well marked and you will find it along the beach about 1/2 way between Ramon's and Fido's. I think you will like the music you hear but I don't think the "Hemisphere Dancer" will be docking for us to see the real thing [Linked Image] If you request some Buffet of the local players you just might get lucky enough to hear some new versions of the same songs= DON'T MISS THE CHANCE TO SEE BAREFOOT SKINNY He'll show ya the way. drop an email to me if you'd like Duane
[email protected]

YA CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME
#47629 01/24/02 08:21 PM
In many cases, the people in Belize speak better and more grammatically correct English than we do. NOT a problem. As for traveling, don't let your life be ruled by fear. That's what those rotton bastards want. Don't let them do that to you. Go and enjoy yourselves. And while there have a blue hole, tidy bowl or panty ripper in their honor!!!! Best way to thumb your nose at them........ [Linked Image]
Debbie

#47630 01/24/02 08:39 PM
Debbie is exactly right. Don't let the 9/11 bullshit steal your lunch. If you do then they succeed.
B C 's is a popular palapa type beach bar 1 minute from the airport. It has survived a few hurricanes (designed and built by Jim Hanna) and is a local gringo hangout.
The Pier Lounge is a cool hangout too!!
Go Patriots!!!!
Jim Hanna

[This message has been edited by Pier Lounge (edited 01-24-2002).]

Jim
#47631 01/25/02 12:32 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Believe me, I am ready to be there!! AND I am sure we will be making the rounds.

Mike Ryan - wish I had something out of the ordinary to identify myself, middle-age female, brown eyes/hair.
AND I am sure the local folks will "love" (sarcasticly said) listening to me...I have a very southern/country accent (NC), HA!!
They will probably "cringe" when I ask for a blue "hoooole" drink.

[This message has been edited by SunChaser (edited 01-25-2002).]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.