Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#476596 11/05/13 04:27 PM
OP Offline
Greetings ... my first time to the forum. We'll be in SP for 4 months, starting December. Deciding whether to use BTL for internet or go with the SMART gizmo. Last year we used BTL with the second slowest service - it was adequate. Don't do much except for email, FB, forums, banking. Has anyone had any negative experience with SMART? Thanks.

Only thing I have heard about smart from my friend who uses it is that it gets used up fairly fast if you do a lot of net time. She often supplements elsewhere to not burn up her supply too fast.

She also said it is good to get the mifi option over a dongle if you plan to use it with wifi phone as well as at home internet.

Their website used to have a page where you could move slider bars for how much you do various things like check emails watch video and so on and it would give you an estimate of you how much you would use monthly. I cannot seem to find that page anymore. If I do will post.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

OP Offline
Thanx for that Tacogirl. Will only need it for our laptop, so looks like the dongle would be sufficient. I'm an IT dinosaur so your help is appreciated.

We have internet through Coral Cable and also are trying out a friends Smart mifi for a couple months. I switch between the 2 often to see which I like best. My laptop use is for emails, facebook, banking and news info. No work or business use. I do not see a difference between the 2 options. Download times seem the same. Both have excellent signal strength. Friends say the mifi option is usually cheaper unless you use the internet for extended periods each day. Mifi is also portable but not important to me.

Dennis
S
S
I have Smart on my iPad, Coral Cable at home and BTL at work. I mainly use the iPad connection when I'm out sailing and I get great coverage and speed (give or take) all the way down to Livingston, Guatemala. HOWEVER, I have almost no reception on our dock in front of the Palms there it's pretty much useless and I use a laptop hard wired with an extender up to the main office. Coral Cable is fine at home and if I'm using YouTube and videos are slow I use the iPad and Apple TV as it's much faster. BTL at the office seems to be the fastest but when it goes down they are no help at all and will tell you someone will be there within 5 days, I use the iPad on Smart in those cases.

The moral of the story is cover all bases...

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.