Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#47711 - 01/24/02 11:18 PM ac hotels
scott meyer Offline
could any of you fine humans give me a comparison of three hotels in ac that i'm looking at....martha's,ruby's and the spindrift...thank you

#47712 - 01/24/02 11:27 PM Re: ac hotels
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Martha's is the most budget-like of the three. Clean, not on the water. Ruby's is the most popular budget place on the island, with cheap rooms plus newer ones with A/C and private baths. Good little restaurant. Spindrift is an ugly three-story concrete hotel, a bit upmarket from either of the other two, with a variety of rooms from fairly inexpensive to moderate. Caliente, the restaurant, is good though a bit pricey. The Pier Lounge is popular.

--Lan Sluder

* Martha's, Pescador Drive and Ambergris Street, P.O. Box 27, San Pedro; tel. 501-26-2053, fax 26-2589; e-mail miguelperez@btl.net; www.AmbergrisCaye.com/marthas/index.html In the middle of town, not on the water, but a good budget choice with 12 clean rooms in a three-story wood building. No air conditioning and no phones in rooms. Rates US$27.50 double off-season, US$35 in-season, including tax. Monthly rates available off-season. Bottom line: Definitely stretches your lodging dollar.

* * + Spindrift, Barrier Reef Drive, San Pedro; tel. 800-688-0161 or 501-26-2174, fax 26-2251; e-mail spinhotel@btl.net; www.AmbergrisCaye.com/spindrift/index.html This dominating three-story concrete hotel wonít win any awards from Architectural Digest, but it is on the water in the center of town, with 22 rooms and 2 one-bedroom apartments. All but the cheapest rooms have air-conditioning. Caliente restaurant is on the first floor, and the Pier Lounge here hosts the "famous chicken drop" at which drinkers bet on where a chicken will poop. Doubles US$48 to $83, apartments US$110, all plus tax and 5% service. Bottom-line: In-town convenience and a good place if you like chickens.

†* * Rubie's (also known as Ruby's), Barrier Reef Drive, P.O. Box 56, San Pedro, tel. 501-26-2063, fax 26-2434; www.AmbergrisCaye.com/rubys/index.html This is the favorite of many value-conscious visitors. Rooms in the old wooden building are basic but clean, most with shared baths; those on the street side can be a little noisy. Year-round rates: older rooms with fans, US$15 to $30 double plus tax (cheaper rooms have share baths); rooms in a new concrete addition on the ocean side sport A/C and private baths and go for around US$48 plus tax, but still an excellent value. Good inexpensive breakfasts and light meals in the first-floor restaurant. It's often full. Bottom line: One of the island's best values. †

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 02-09-2002).]
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#47713 - 01/24/02 11:56 PM Re: ac hotels
scott meyer Offline
thanks lan,
by the way i sent you a money order for the subscription the other day which you should get any day now my and i must say it's a great publication a must read for anyone going own to belize. i just hope i can get another one before i leave on 2/7/02...

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.