Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#477373 11/13/13 04:04 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Hello there!
First time poster here (have been lurking for awhile though). I've been to Belize before, but stayed in an all-inclusive off Dangriga.

I'm planning a family trip to AC mid February and am curious how the shops/restaurants feel about credit cards. I'd prefer to swipe my Visa for most purchases (I have been accused of being a mile-wh0re...) rather than carrying cash for a 2 week visit. But I fully understand that CC's can make life difficult for some vendors. Would really love the opinion of any AC business owners that use this site!

In the event it's an "all-cash" response - Question number 2: Should I plan on all BZD or can I expect to simply half my bills and pay in USD?

I hate being unprepared.

Number One Problem is a Rate Sucker called the Foreign transaction fee unless you have a card that has none.

S
S
CC is fine in most places unless you're wanting to eat at more authentic "non-touristy" restaurants on the side and back streets. If you do bring US dollars make sure they don't have single mark on them of any kind (not even the slightest bit of tear, ink or coffee) or they won't be accepted. It's taken me until today to get rid of $60US I was given in change from a bar last Friday night.

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for the comment Mr. Bill. For those that aren't aware of using credit cards out of country this is definately something that should be mentioned. For me, between the rewards and piece of mind/ease of use, the fees are worth it.

O
OP Offline
O
Hi there Simon! Thanks for the great tip about USD bills!! That is something I wouldn't have thought of.

Certainly I expect to pay a street vendor cash for a couple bananas. Im more interested in the $200 dinner/drink tab, large rental costs, etc.

Travelers checks work too. You can go in any bank and cash them if you do not want to carry too much cash at one time.
When I was visiting I only used my credit card for things that I may have to get some refund on - and places that required a credit card for deposit. Yes, the international charges are high and even though it is illegal some places charge a service fee.
You will need a credit card to make you local flight reservations and to reserve some tours, etc.
Be sure and notify you credit card company that you will be in this country (or any other you travel through). Otherwise they may block you due to "unusual activity."

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
There are plenty of cards now with no foreign transaction fees. Almost every one accepts a credit card except for the small places.

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for all the great replies. I could have assumed that credit cards were in wide use, but we all know how assuming goes wink.

Scubalady - thanks for the travelers check tip. Honestly I've never used them. Definately sounds like a good option if I can cash them at any of the local banks in San Pedro.

Now on to the fun decisions like choosing a dive shop...

But there is one restaurant that you must go to and it does not accept credit cards: Estel's

Don't miss it on the beach right next to central park for breakfast and or lunch. Open 6-6 closed on (i forgot)! blush

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks azbob - exactly the kind of detail I'm hoping for. I'll be at the PV's, so should be a quick walk for the family.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.