Flooding in the West: Arizona Area in Teakettle affected by constant rains

On Tuesday we headed to Crooked Tree where we found parts of the village under at least four feet of water. The rains are not letting up and further downpour is forecasted in the days ahead. There are serious health concerns since residents have to wade through the water to get to their houses.� Today, we were called out to Arizona, a community just behind Teakettle on the George Price Highway, where the conditions have residents on edge. Duane Moody reports.

Duane Moody, Reporting

From Crooked Tree on the Phillip Goldson Highway to the Arizona Area in Teakettle Village off the George Price Highway, flooding is causing havoc. In Teakettle, the water levels are not as damning but the residents are experiencing inconveniences.� Residents say that three weeks ago waters were up to two feet inside their houses. Today several yards remain inundated.

Voice of: Emilsa Useda, Resident, Arizona Area

"I think it is because we are surrounded by hills, so all the waters from the hills, they come right here and find a place in the village. So all the houses that are below, they are all getting flooded. See this house."

Duane Moody

"I notice that your dad is here digging a little drain just so the water can flow out."

Voice of: Emilsa Useda

"Yes because if he noh do the drainage, all the water woulda come inside. So everybody ina di whole village�everybody the make drains ina dehn side deh. My mom had a ferriage and the water went right through so she had to lift up the refridge and put it on the bed so she couldn't sleep that night when the water really rise up high."

Duane Moody

"Are the waters finally going down though?"

"Well they go down when the sun comes up, but when it starts to rain again the water goes up again."

Voice of: Amelia Pop, Resident, Arizona Area

"Right now ih noh really flooded, but when it gets flooded, it reach way to the step."

Duane Moody

"How do you guys get in and out of the yard when it is so high?"

Voice of: Amelia Pop

"It is hard to come out."

The constant downpour has left the streets in deplorable conditions and students and laborers must wade through the mud to get to school, work and back home.

"Only one street we have that is working right now; the main street going to Pook's Hill�only that one is working right now. All the ones here, they are all very muddy and no car can pass there because they get stuck."

Duane Moody

"So you guys just got to literally walk through the mud to go to school, to go to work?"

"Yeah every kid is wearing booths to go to school; they can’t carry on their uniform shoes�.too much mud, too much water."

Duane Moody

"Do you find that the kids are getting sick?"

"Yeah my son, he has fresh cold right now because dehn can’t come out to go to school."

Duane Moody

"So dehn noh di go dah school any at all?"

"Yes dehn di go dah school, but ih hard fi make dehn come out. Right now dehn could come out wah lee bit because the water goh down wah lee bit. But sometimes, like yesterday, the water reach way up t my knee."

Marcus Kingston

According to village chairman, Marcus Kingston many families have been affected since October twenty-fourth.

Marcus Kingston, Chairman, Teakettle Village

"In some people's house, there was at least two feet of water and people were trying to save some of their household items-their refridge, their sofa-and setting it on top of tables. I've tried my best to talk to them and tell them what to do and we've informed them likewise that we have shelters if they need to go to shelters."

According to Kingston, the Ministry of Works has visited the area and residents have been told that as soon as the weather conditions improve, repairs will be made to the roads and the drainage system. Duane Moody for News Five.

Channel 5