Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Last Thursday, residents of Caye Caulker voiced their discontentment with the ferrying of sand dredged off the coast of the island for use in neighboring San Pedro.� A group of angry citizens proceeded to block the path of several dump trucks, preventing them from offloading sand onto a waiting ferry.� The material, they argue, should be used to repair faulty streets on the island.� According to chairperson Wayne Miller, the village council is bound to a contract with businessman Damian Chamberlain.� That particular agreement, nonetheless, expires at the end of the month.� On Friday, Chamberlain met with residents in Caye Caulker, at the end of which an amicable agreement was struck.� The residents are prepared to purchase the sand from Chamberlain.� But where is the area representative and Minister of Tourism in all of this?� Over the weekend, the media caught up with Belize Rural South area representative Manuel Heredia who said that help is coming their way.

Manuel Heredia Jr., Area Representative, Belize Rural South

"I've heard about it but definitely I don't know what are the issues because I haven't been to Caye Caulker."

Reporter

Manuel Heredia Jr.

"Can you explain to us what is the situation with Caye Caulker?� They're saying that they believe that they've been neglected by you as their area representative and as the Minister of Tourism who their main [source of] revenue comes under your portfolio.� How do you try to make amends with those citizens on Caye Caulker that you are working to get their island up to the level that San Pedro is?"

Manuel Heredia Jr.

"You know, when people react it's because of something that they don't like but if you can recall the rain is something natural.� Something natural that is all over Belize, all over our region and if you go to the island of San Pedro it's likewise and resources are limited.� So, our prime minister had made an extra effort to make sure that they assist every single area of Belize and Caye Caulker and San Pedro will be no exception.� And I have given the goods and services the same way, sometimes even more than what San Pedro gets."

Reporter

"Sir, I know that one thing they want to know is that if the government would be able to support buying the sand from the company and keeping it in Caye Caulker because it really came from their island, the dredging outside of their coastline?"

Manuel Heredia Jr.

"Let me be very clear on that.� Anything that is on the seabed is the property of the Government of Belize, not for the residents of any particular island.� Likewise in San Pedro, they have done likewise.� They dredge and an island in front of Belize was filled with sand that came from San Pedro.� A perfect example, Cozumel has a sand bank, Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres beaches from sand taken from Cozumel.� Probably the residents might [disagree] but it's not the property of the residents.� It's the property of the Government of Belize and the chairman, if you saw the chairman, he said it clearly, the sand is for Mr. Chamberlain, he does what he wants with the sand.� Government will give them material, the right material to use in the streets that they need.� With this rains, if you put that sand over there it's a waste of money, it's a waste of time.� So they, we have the expertise, we have the people.� Ministry of Works will be going over there shortly and will make sure that they do an assessment and the government will provide some funding to be able to assist them.� To these people it's all about politics, it's not about reality, it's politics."

Channel 5

D
D
The company sells a product without making it easy to find out the phone number or price.
Were they surprised that it didn't sell?
Anyone know these two bits of important info?

M
M
There is a story/money trail here for anyone with the seeds to dig it up.
The guy didn't buy a dredge and trucks and just show up without paying someone.
He's entitled to a profit, but where did the money go that should be used for improvements?

E
E
Sic em, Martyd

"Manuel Heredia Jr.
"Let me be very clear on that. Anything that is on the seabed is the property of the Government of Belize, not for the residents of any particular island. Likewise in San Pedro, they have done likewis
e."

Remember that Mr. Heredia said he would not sign off on the Mexico Rocks Reserve until the dredging interest where addressed. He obviously has a large interest in the dredging. Dredging possess a huge threat to the marine environment, The marine environment that provides all of us in tourism a livelihood and Mr. Hereadia is the minister of Tourism. It's unimaginable that he would be a proponent of dredging however it is also unquestionable that he is.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
N
N
A couple folks have posted here of how dredging in and of itself is some sort of environmental disaster. A dredge is simply a dredge as a bulldozer is simply a bulldozer. Nobody wants to use either in an insensitive way. Sure, even when properly planned and permitted there will be some disruption to the benthic community, shredded turtlegrass and such. Luckily this normally repairs itself quite quickly in the area worked. The dredgers are avoiding the hell out of this material anyway. They're after sand not mud. The other concern of course is off-site turbidity, allowing sand to reach coral. I kayaked thru the site in question when the dredge was at full tilt and can assure you the turbidity reached less than 30 ft. from shore for a length of only about 50 ft, nowhere near as much as we see near most beaches when the seas kick up. This island needs sand, a lot of it. If you want to bad mouth dredging along Caye Caulkers shoreline as environmentally unsustainable please provide the evidence.

E
E
You sound like a dredger to me.

M
M
The report in this link pretty much addresses the issues of dredging near sea grasses and coral reefs.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X12001981

C
C
"I've heard about it but definitely I don't know what are the issues because I haven't been to Caye Caulker."
The above from a quote from Heridia...
It dosnt matter who can buy the sand, the environmental inpact is what the problem is. Raping the sand.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
D
D
My guys hand dredged an area the size of a ten ft circle and the turtle grass took twenty years to repair itself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 109 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day