Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#481062 12/29/13 09:20 AM
Y
OP Offline
Y
We are getting ready to move to Belize in a few months, ive heard we will need a round trip ticket? Is this true?

You usually need to have a return ticket or onward ticket, however if you arrive on a one way ticket you can usually be admitted into the country if you can prove you have sufficient funds to live in Belize and remember you will need to check in with immigration on a monthly basis and each time you may need to provide proof that you have the financial ability to support yourself.

Y
OP Offline
Y
Perfect. I knew we would have to show monthly means of support. What do they ask for as proof upon entering?

Probably cash and a bank statement.

Y
OP Offline
Y
Well i cant see carrying a ton of cash so i can always grab a balance from an atm

C
C
All you need to do is buy a bus ticket from Belize City to Mexico. Or a water taxi ticket to Chetumal. Have that on you when you fly out of the U.S. These days they dont even bother much with the one way tickets. You dont want to chance it. So the story goes you have proof of leaving Belize. Thats all they want to see.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
The issue, in Belize and elsewhere, is rarely with immigration in the destination country but with the airline that you fly. Quite often (though not always) an airline agent checking you in or checking your passport will require a roundtrip or onward air ticket, or some other proof of onward travel, as the agent is following the letter of the rules of Belize or other destination country.

Again, this does not happen every time you fly, but it happens frequently enough that if you look at various travel forums and boards you will find quite a few examples of passengers who have been denied boarding or who have had to buy a refundable onward/return ticket before they were allowed to board.

This has happened in fact to members of my own family, though not involving travel to Belize -- in one case it was to Hong Kong and in another to Budapest. You can ask the airline you're flying for their policy, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

But to be clear ... over the past 23 or 24 years I've entered Belize by air, land and boat probably 50 times and have never once been asked by Belize immigration to either show an onward/return ticket or demonstrate proof of funds.

(Of course, if you are a citizen or an official resident or have other legal status in the destination country, none of this applies.)

E
E
Well, lo and behold. Lan Scuder finally said something I agree with( I think)

E
E
Lperdue, I just sent you a PM regarding my experience with a one way ticket from the US on American Airlines which I flew on December 14th, 2013.

K
K
Is showing Immigration a letter (proof of a guaranteed monthly pension) sufficient to prove you have means to support yourself ?

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.