Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofers: Christmas Play
“I hear that Wyatt is going to be in a Christmas Play at his school,” I said. “Yeah,” Chris said. “That‘s what he tells me.” My band was on break at BC’s and we sat at one of the tables on the beach. “Davin was in one last week at his school,” Dulce said. “He […]

Congratulations Nancy Ivon Santana!
Nancy Ivon Santana, a graduate of San Pedro High School graduated from La Universidad Modular Abierta in El Salvador on Thursday Dec 12th. Nancy who has been in El Salvador for the past six years pursuing her Law Degree will now be practicing law in Belize. Congratulations from Mom, Dad and the entire family. The San Pedro Sun also wishes Nancy all the best in her budding career.

Under the Stars: Alberto Moreno and Oliva Galves
Congratulations to Alberto Moreno and Olivia Galvez, who, after a beautiful year-long courtship have become engaged. The loving couple has plans of tying the knot in early 2014. We wish them a union filled with love and happiness. May your special day be everything you dream of.

Doctor Love: Retirement
Dear Doctor Love, My wife and I have been looking for possible places for us to live when I retire in a few years. I will not be a rich man when I retire but I will have a comfortable, steady income. What I am saying is that, although money and cost of living are […]

Misc Belizean Sources

Tastes of Thailand Re-opens
We are now back in San Pedro and after 3 months work on the property we have just reopened Tastes of Thailand. We reopened a week or so ago, though we only have 6 tables so reservation would be advisable. John and Thipaya PS we have Tastes of Thailand face book page I believe it will come up Tastes of Thailand in Belize.

22 Year Old Killed In Traffic Accident
A road traffic accident on the night of Christmas Eve claimed the life of one Calcutta Village resident. Tonight the family of 22 year old Armin Nair Rodriguez is mourning his death after he was knocked down while riding his bicycle in the Village of San Joaquin. Reporter Victor Castillo has the story from Corozal. 22 year old Armin Nair Rodriguez, a resident of Calcutta Village in the Corozal did not get to spend Christmas with his family as he had promised. Rodriguez’s life was cut short after he met his fate between miles 79 and 80 on the Philip Goldson Highway, just a few yards away from his home. According to Corozal Police, acting upon information received of a traffic accident in San Joaquin Village they were dispatch to the area where upon their arrival they discovered the motionless body of which was later identify to be of Armin Nair Rodriquez.

Havoc Avoided On Christmas Day Boat Capsizes With Ten Tourist
A Christmas day river tour in Orange Walk Town almost ended in tragedy; luckily passengers of the vessel escaped serious injury. Reporter Maria Novelo has that story and filed the following report. Sometime around 2pm on Christmas Day, ten visiting tourists, who were onboard this 25foot vessel suffered an unexpected mishap as it capsized while adrift on the new river. The vessel named “Fu dee River’ which belongs to Lamanai Eco Adventures and rented by Cruise Solutions, was being piloted by boat captain Felix Vellos at the time. CTV3 News understands that the vessel had just left from the Lamanai Maya Ruin when it flipped over after catching a large wave from another passing boat. The boat captain, we are reliably informed, lost control of the vessel in the wake of the wave. Luckily, other tour guides who were in the area saw the vessel and the distressed passengers in the water and rendered aid.

Resident Of Santa Martha Investigated For Unlicensed Firearm
A resident of Santa Martha Village is tonight facing charges for unlicensed firearm and handling stolen goods. Police report that on Wednesday, December 25th, at about 8:00pm Orange Walk, Police conducted a search at the residence of Edgar Garcia of Santa Martha Village and when asked for information regarding a stolen firearm, Edgar Garcia retrieved a red bag from a swamp that was located behind his house and handed the bag to the police which contained a gun belt, a gun barrel along with parts of a 16 gauge firearm. Edgar Garcia was informed of the offence committed. Police detained 34 year old Edgar Garcia of Santa Martha Village and a 17 year old of Santa Martha Village pending investigation for Unlicensed Firearm and Handling Stolen Goods.

Two Persons Stabbed During Altercation
Two Carmelita residents spent the latter part of Christmas day with stitches at the Northern Regional Hospital following an altercation police reports. At about 10:30 on Wednesday night police visited the Emergency Ward at the NRH where they saw 28 year old Enrique Ocampo with two stab wounds to his left side of his back and 22 year old Minor Jordan, a Guatemalan national of Carmelita Village with a large curt wound to his left arm. Preliminary investigations revealed that, Jordan was socializing with some friends at the residence of Davis Fernandez when he was approached by Ocampo who inflicted the chop wounds with a machete.

Man Accused of Sexually Assaulting His Mentally Challenged Stepdaughter
Police in Corozal are investigating a rape incident that occurred in that municipality on Thursday December 26th. Police report that they received information of a female at the Corozal Hospital that she was sexually assaulted. Police visited the hospital where they spoke with a Hispanic female of Sarteneja Village who reported that sometime between Thursday 19th December and Monday 23rd December 2013 her 18 year old mentally challenged sister of Sarteneja Village was sexually assaulted by her step father. Police investigation continues.

Christmas Day Claims The Life of Four In Horrible Traffic Accident
Tragedy struck on Wednesday, Christmas Day in Ladyville when four young person’s lost their lives in an unfortunate traffic accident. Police report that sometime around four in the afternoon twenty-two year old Hector Daniel Gongora, a student of Lake Garden Ladyville Village was driving his red four door Isuzu Pickup truck towards Ladyville. At the time, he was accompanied by twenty year old Henry Gabourel Reyes, seventeen year old Dulce Yanira Cobb and twenty-three year old Shakir Shamir Monima. Police investigations reveal that Gongora lost control of the vehicle between miles seven and eight on the Phillip Goldson Highway and collided into a tree. The vehicle was extensively damaged and according to police reports, all four persons sustained multiple head and body injuries and were unconscious by the time they responded. Reyes, a Belizean messenger of an Antelope Street Extension Address in Belize City was seated on the passenger’s seat, Cobb a student of Daly Street Belize City was seated in the back behind the driver, Monima Belizean messenger also of Daly Street, Belize City was seated next to Cobb.

A Trip Up North on Ambergris Caye: Ak’Bol Yoga Resort, Lazy Croc’s BBQ, Feliz Bar and Odd Weather
Yesterday started off grey and a bit cool but we could see the sun…up north. So my friends, their golf cart and I headed over the bridge to hang out and find it. Here are some pictures of what I call “North Ambergris Caye”. If you are unfamiliar with our island, many of the buildings and population are around San Pedro town on the southern end. And then there is a toll bridge over “the Cut” and as you head north, it’s more “suburban”. More homes and resorts and less businesses… Our first stop was about 1.5 miles north at Ak’Bol Yoga Resort. They have a great dock for swimming and sunning and a very cute bar/restaurant. I got out my camera and realized that MY BATTERY WAS DEAD! SO…here is my first IPhone 4s blog post. We lazed about on the dock, ate some hummus, saw a very cool orange octopus and then headed about 1/3 mile north to Lazy Croc’s BBQ (for the FULL scoop on this hot spot, check out the post below). They were smoking 200lbs of ribs and some chickens. I had to take a look…

“Friends in Low Places” in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.
Out on the first floor western (lagoon side) veranda by around 05.30 hours yesterday with – yes, you’ve guessed- a mug of black coffee and my iPad. I spent around an hour out there -just enough time for me to catch up on the news via The Times online and have a second mug of coffee. I then decided that I deserved a breakfast – an Estel’s breakfast – so I showered, shaved and got dressed (adding a sweat top to my usual attire of ‘T’ shirt and shorts because it was a little breezy and there was a chill in the air – don’t know that I am now equipped to handle the weather in the UK at the moment) and took the drive to ‘Town. A less bumpy ride than it has been of late because they have carried out some more repair work on the road to the bridge. I was ready to go when Rubio and Mike arrived to recommence work on the fence so I unlocked the store room/garage so that they could get their tools and left for a very enjoyable breakfast. They always are at Estel’s though. By the time I got back home Rubio and Mike had made really good progress on the fence for the southern side of our lot and had completed fitting the horizontal posts that they started the day before

Twocanview Inaugural Blog Radio Show 12/29/2013
Today Dec 29, 2013 marked the inaugural blog radio show for Twocanview. My first guest was Hubert Pipersburg. Hubert explained pubic policy; the importance of effective public policy; and helped me examine the Christmas Cheer Program implemented in Belize- Was it good public policy? Please click on the following link to listen to the discussion: Blog Radio 12/29/2013 Also please donate to a great initiative to uplift the lives of elderly Belizeans who are living in very deplorable conditions by clicking the following link. Improve the lives of Belizeans at Home

International Sources

St. Mark's Refuge biologist takes bird houses to Belize
Michael Keys and his son, Larkin, will hike deep into the open savanna of pine trees and brush, carrying ladders and chain saws. Keys will climb 30 feet up a pine tree and spend three hours carving a hole in the tree to insert a wooden box. Within weeks, yellow-headed parrots will nest in Keys’ artificial cavities and produce offspring scientists hope can boost the population of the endangered species. It’s not your typical vacation in Belize, a small Central American country on the Caribbean coast. But it can make a difference. “This is a species that could go extinct and I have this one specialized skill that can help,” Keys said. “I’m not a heart surgeon or anything. So this is my contribution to helping the habitat.” Keys, 42, is a biologist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; since 1998 he has been stationed at the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge. He and his son are leaving Jan. 19 for Belize, where they will spend 18 days installing artificial cavities. Though Keys is doing this on his own dime, he welcomes contributions (see box). This is Keys’ second trip to Belize; in January 2012 he spent two weeks installing 10 artificial cavities in Payne’s Creek National Forest. He hopes to install another 10 artificial cavities in the government-owned forest this trip, with Larkin, 19, a budding photojournalist, documenting the effort.

Upcoming Destinations Of 2014
2013 is coming to a close and we will shortly be welcoming 2014! This can only mean one thing…it will be time to start planning your next holiday and the only question is, where to? We’ve done our research and have come up with exciting and upcoming destinations to give you a helping hand. Head to Ambergris Caye in Belize, a hidden gem full of unspoiled beaches and tropical surroundings. Ambergris Caye is a prime location for diving and snorkelling, near the second largest barrier reef in the world.

Planning a Trip: Guidebook Versus the Web
I recently asked my friend Doug if he still uses guidebooks to plan his trips abroad. He’s a smart guy and a veteran traveler, so I figured he would have a thoughtful reason one way or the other. He did not. “I probably don’t use guidebooks because I’ve essentially forgotten they exist,” he said. I’m guessing Doug is not alone. Sales of international travel guides in the United States are down 42 percent since 2006, according to the Nielsen BookScan Travel Publishing Yearbook. As online resources have expanded, I’ll bet lots of people have shifted their travel planning to the web without giving it any thought at all. And I suspect some who still use guidebooks think they’re wasting money for what they could find online free. But are they? I decided to try an experiment: I would buy a brand-new guidebook, comb through it, then to try to replicate or improve upon what I found in the free but chaotic bounty of the World Wide Web. I bought and read most of the Lonely Planet’s Hungary guide (which I chose because Lonely Planet is popular among Frugal Traveler readers and I know nothing about Hungary) and then got to work.

In Belize, teaching youth life-skills to prepare for workplace
For Diangelo Ramos, a young man living in Belize, surviving after he was thrown out of his house at 13 took determination and courage. “I was drinking at school, missing classes,” he recalled. ”My teacher said she would not give up on me because she knew I could change.” Diangelo participated in a youth engagement programme implemented by UNDP. The Southside Youth Success project, established in 2012, is a coordinated system that provides mentoring, life-skills, training and job placements for vulnerable youths in Southside Belize City (SBC), the most violent area of the country. It focuses on preventing “most-at-risk” youth, in particular young men, who come from the most marginalized parts of Belizean society, from entering gangs and provides them with the life-skills and knowledge base to enter the workforce instead. “Today I think I have changed,” Diangelo said after completing the programme.