Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#48114 - 02/04/02 02:30 AM HUSTLER TOURS THE NAME SAYS IT ALL
diverdude Offline
So my wife and I decide on the last day of our beautiful diving vacation to go on the inland tour to Altun Ha/ maruba spa. So we get on the boat ,Its a big boat 38 foot I think there was 12 or 14 of us on It. It had I think twin 150s driving It (a very fast boat indeed)so here we are cruising across the bay and up the river and through the mangroves zipping just as fast as we could around blind corners ,no need to worry says the guide no one will be coming the other way during these hours . (I thought to my self when he said that that 1 day I'm sure you will be surprised )so we make it to bamba / then to the ruins/ then to maruba spa which I thought was Incredible, so we get Back to the boat take off and start going like were nuts again and sure enough around the corner I look up and were getting ready to smash a boat about the same size as us,Head on we were doing about 40 mph so there was no stopping and no where to steer to (the river was just too narrow)so needless to say we ended up slamming into the other boat then crashing into the mangrove at about 40mph ,most people were smart enough to jump to the floor of the boat and amazingly no one seemed hurt. Now we had to figure a way to get the boat back in the water, so the other boat tries pulling us out. but this doesnt work so 5 or 6 of the guys get out into the mangrove and the mud and lift and push until its back in the water.It didnt hurt the boat except for some lost paint so we were soon off and running again but at a much more sensible speed.
Now I realize that accidents happen but I just hope that someone learns from this because the next time the passengers might not be so lucky.

#48115 - 02/04/02 10:35 AM Re: HUSTLER TOURS THE NAME SAYS IT ALL
Chloe Offline
OMG..............if it looks dangerous it, is!
That is why I love my guide Danny Guerrero, he drives the boat smooth like gramma's rocking chair. I hate rough speed in a boat, just not fun to feel like you have been beaten up, after the ride.
Dare To Deviate

#48116 - 02/04/02 12:00 PM Re: HUSTLER TOURS THE NAME SAYS IT ALL
dd- were the 5 or 6 guys who pulled the boat out workers for hustler or guests?

if it was employees, well, again, stuff happens. at least no one got hurt. but if it was you guys, the tourists, pulling it out, i suppose you shoulda had some restitution.

too bad either way. don't let it spoil your opinions about the rest of yer trip.

#48117 - 02/04/02 12:31 PM Re: HUSTLER TOURS THE NAME SAYS IT ALL
Debbie Offline
I am thankful that no one was hurt or worse. It easily could have happened. What shocks me is that the owner of hustler didn't come to where you were staying and check on all of you. Just courtesy. And if you didn't get a refund, a free meal or a formal apology would have have been nice. I'm shocked. We've used Hustler before, and never had a problem, but then again, we didn't do the Maruba spa thing.... I'm so sorry it spoiled your day.

#48118 - 02/04/02 01:23 PM Re: HUSTLER TOURS THE NAME SAYS IT ALL
diverdude Offline
They were the guests that pulled the boat out but never the less we did have a great time and will return again someday,But there's lots of other places out there we want to dive first.

#48119 - 02/05/02 12:38 AM Re: HUSTLER TOURS THE NAME SAYS IT ALL
RobertE Offline
I've used Hustler several times for diving and would highly recommend them and I using them again in May.

What a lot of people don't realize is when they book a tour (note that I said tour, not diving) with a company it may not be the actual tour operator. Hustler may have booked the tour, but the boat and guides may have been part of another operation.

This is very common on AC for tours. I don't have all the facts on this particular trip but just wanted to let people know so generalizations and accusations are not loosely thrown around.

#48120 - 02/05/02 10:05 AM Re: HUSTLER TOURS THE NAME SAYS IT ALL
bywarren Offline
Diverdude was on a boat owned and operated by Hustler. The boat they ran into was the Maruba boat coming back from a snorkle trip, and to my understanding, was going at a safe speed. The problem arises because to do a Lamanai trip if the boats go up the Northern River at a safe speed it makes for a very long day. And, some of the boat drivers think it is a macho thing showing off their boat driving and endangering the tourists. It is a miracle that no one has been seriously hurt as yet. Dave, the owner of Hustler, is out of the country and I am sure is not aware of this situation as yet. I would hope that he will address it to Diverdude's satisfaction when he becomes aware of it. This is not another case of "shit happens". It is a case of "all is well that ends well", fortunatly. And, just another example of some of the things that go on here that should not and could be prevented if only people acted more responsibly.

#48121 - 02/05/02 12:48 PM Re: HUSTLER TOURS THE NAME SAYS IT ALL
sandybeach Offline
ByWarren you have the correct story. Unfortunately these incidents compromise the reputation of other tour companies who opperate in a safe and responsible manner. It was very lucky that no one was hurt badley.

#48122 - 02/05/02 09:23 PM Re: HUSTLER TOURS THE NAME SAYS IT ALL
rickcheri Offline
For a "native" it is perfectly fine to do the mangroves in a boat or wherever, at a more enhanced speed...we do it everday here..."I Can't Drive 55"..lol...they will become more accustomed to more visitors and respond accordingly...things happen always for a reason....I nearly drowned out there in July 2000....capsizing a boat on the OTHER side of the reef.....long and HORRID story...especially when you still have to pass over the reef (without a boatLOL) and try and stay safe..the reef is to be respected and can cause ruckus for you if it wants.... as is ALL the Ocean....they will adapt..remember... it's different for them, to!! C and sometimes it is diferent from us!!

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 02-05-2002).]

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,705 Topics
461,224 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.