Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48150 02/05/02 01:04 PM
G
Gaelen Offline OP
OP Offline
G
We're now at 26 days and counting, and I have what may seem like a stupid question! [Linked Image]

We're planning to snorkel at least a few days at Ambergris, and I'm wondering if it makes more sense to buy some cheap masks, snorkels & fins and bring them with us, or if you can rent them somewhere.

Also, if anyone has any good suggestions about where it's best to snorkel, they would be greatly appreciated!

Gaelen
Concord, CA

A leaky mask can ruin a snorkel trip, so I prefer to bring my own. Snorkels are cheap - why risk sucking someone else's spit?
Fins are bulky to pack - and cheap to rent, so we rent those.
Snorkel: of course Hol Chan is great. Night snorkeling there is awesome.
Mexico Rocks my favorite snorkel spot.
Tres cocos is close and beautiful.
Many places to see between AC & CC.
Belize it!

N
N
I can tell you from experience that you don't want to go out and buy cheap equipment. This can ruin a snorkeling trip. Your mask will leak, your fins will rub blisters on your feet, and you will have a horrible time. If you plan on snorkeling more than just in Belize, I would invest in decent snorkel gear. It can make all the difference. A good snorkel mask will form to your face (don't share your mask with others). This reduces the chance of leaking. And a good pair of fins can be quite comfortable. If you don't want to invest in quality gear, the dive shops in Belize have good equipment for rent. Many of the people on our trip opted for this and were pleased with what they got. One other little tip for snorkeling, put a little bit of baby shampoo and water in your mask before snorkeling to keep it from fogging up. This works better than the expensive no fog stuff you buy in the dive stores.

Call Alfonse while you're there and he can take you to the best snorkeling spots. He is very knowledgeable and loves his job.

Have fun!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
always throwing a wrench in it, i did just fine with my mask & snorkel set from target. it wasn't the cheapest, but at $30 for the set i was perfectly happy. (try them out in the bathtub first, duh). i rented flippers, 'cause, big deal, but i agree with the spit comment. eeewww.

hubby has $$$ mask, snorkel & fins from the dive shop, and he still got blisters on his feet. so, go figure. luckily, i always travel with waterproof band-aids and neosporin!

Enrigue at Aqua Dive, did a great job fitting our snorkelers, with mask snorkel and fins. They don't just throw one at you, they help you fit it, and they check before you leave. My Hubby's expensive mask, leaks, but my middle of the road mask works well. I think too much sunscreen on your face, makes the mask leak. When you think you have the strap tight enough, well make it tighter....LOL
If you are concerned about the left over spit, take your own alcohol and wash the mouth piece.
Guides don't always charge the rental fee for the equipment. I have never been charged.

Dare To Deviate
Our family brings masks and snorkels. thats it. we like the fit of a mask thats set to our face.

now certainly thats not a necessity. you can for sure rent masks taht fit. its certainly better to rent than buy cheap ones. the rentals are not cheapos.

but its kind of like renting ski boots. If only your face/feet have been in them, you don't have to worry about getting the size right, you mess with them over and over and get to know their settings well.

so in a perfect world, i'd never carry fins, and would bring a mask. If its not something you are going to do a lot, just rent.

as to where to snorkle, i'd ask your guide. they will know all the spots, you can read them over here:
//AmbergrisCaye.com/pages/town/divesites.html

and snorkeling around the top of the blue hole was fabulous.

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 02-09-2002).]

A
A
Check out DiversDirect.com - they usually have decent package deals - or soon, Costco will probably have mask/snorkel sets.

Whether or not you buy fins, or rent, I'd recommend getting some lycra socks - I've used them for years and haven't gotten blisters since I started wearing them. Beats the heck out of bandaids and neosporin!

[This message has been edited by ACfan (edited 02-05-2002).]

[This message has been edited by ACfan (edited 02-05-2002).]

T
T
We always bring our own. It's a pain to lug it around, but we like the independence of having our own. Not having to pay extra to rent. And it's already fitted to us.

KC Offline
I just bought a really nice snorkel and mask (Body Glove) at Costo. It was 25.00.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.