Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
M
Originally Posted by Nick Barton
Anyone would think they are putting a highway in - I just want to be able to get to town on my golfcart at any time of the year without having to take on huge or multiple potholes full of water!

Was the road in that condition when you bought? It was when I did. It was part of my decision making process.
Also, if the path was restricted to golf carts, which is the only thing it is designated for, we would be able to traverse without the multiple potholes, which are created by the vehicles (taxi's, trucks, etc) that were never supposed to be allowed in the first place.

N
N
I bought an apartment in a ski resort without a ski lift because I anticipated the lift would come - and it did! I bought a piece of land on AC 12 years ago and built a house we love because I anticipated the track would be eventually improved and I could buy a boat and did that too. I bought an apartment in the financial centre of London anticipating it would become more residential with shops and lots of restaurants and it did! It is called forward thinking! So once the track is usable I will be able fully to enjoy all three locations. Haven't sold any of them so far! But seeing as I am old and fat perhaps one day I will sell - to those who like to have everything just so from day one!

me too nick..forward thinking is what the town is doing too now....this does not take rocket science to figure out.....more people...more people...more people...what to do ....oh just leave it the same....not

Mayahouse, self-centered selfish rubbish as usual. Sorry you did not do proper due diligence when you bought your house to allow you to figure out that the road was one foot away from your building. Accept this fact, enjoy the increase in value of your home once the road is in, and if you can't accept it, sell it and make a profit.

And, all that trash talk about the road being "golf cart only".....what nonsense. Manhattan Island was once "wigwam only" but that's all changed now, hasn't it?

It seems there is a lot of selfishness concerning the ROAD North. Some people used the road when they were building their homes/condos/resorts, but upon completing their building wanted no-one else to be able to use the road. The island is growing and growing fast, the resorts up North account for a large proportion of the islands economy, with a road in place this will only increase the positive experience of our visitors and residents from up North. As Chris stated the road has always been a road, not a cart track. I think what worries some people is that they have built their homes too close to their property line so now the traffic will pass close to their house.:)The road is coming and it will improve the North of the island, this is just the first stage, there is a lot more to come.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
M
M
You know what you can do, Chris. I've never made this personal, and I'm not going to stoop to your level now. You comments should be removed. My points are all accurate, valid, and focused on the future of this island. Yours are personal attacks, and very childish.

Mayahouse, if you are posting your points of view because you are "focused on the future of this island" rather than the fact that the road runs right by your property and you don't like it I will remove my comments.

Again, I am sorry you did not do due diligence before you bought your property, but this is not the town council's fault. They and the government are merely going to pave the existing road due to the increased requirement for basic infrastructure development.

As for your assertion that the road was once designated for golf carts only, that obviously changed years ago. It's not something that just happened and as you well know reversal is never going to happen.

Surely you can make the imminent road paving work to your advantage by negotiating for a speed bump in the area of your property?

Again, "Well Done" to all concerned in making this important work happen. So many people will benefit from it.

M
M
Chris - You know nothing at all about me, nor what I did before I bought my property. I certainly don't need any of your pathetic and insincere attempts to appease me, as I have no respect for you or your comments. Go peddle your drivel elsewhere. If you want to continue to "call me out", have the cojones to take it off-line and contact me directly.

On a non personal note, it is interesting to me how people pick and choose what infrastructure improvements they endorse. Reminds me of "NIMBY". Not that I agree with the priorities of what improvements should take precedent, but I find it nieve to think with all the effort to promote tourism and the subsequent development, that with that won't come more traffic and the need for improved roads as the island grows and expands.
San Pedro has long evolved from a small fishing village into a tourist destination on which the economy depends.
It would be nice if more thought was given to better controlling the rate of development based on the available infrastructure to support that level of development. But to expect that existing roads not be improved is irrational.

M
M
If I could explain a bit more of my position, bywarren, I would love to have the designated cart path (as it has never formally been approved as anything else) be improved. Chris (who built, I believe, all of the Bermuda condos) put in a very short concrete golf cart path which is still there, and for the tiny length it is and after all this time, it continues to work beautifully. I would love to see something like that be put in for a many miles north as possible. My objections are to the continuous lies and non-approved changes that take place based on who has the most money to influence the decisions. When the bridge was put in, over many objections, we were told that no trucks/vehicles would be allowed to cross. Then, wouldn't you know it, they started coming across, just as we had predicted. We were told the same thing then, "we can't go back". And it just continues to evolve like that (as I sit here typing and some maniac is going by at 40+ miles an hour...and another one to boot). There are NO PLANS, especially for long-term maintenance and sustainability. There is no vision, no buy-in, no leadership team. It's just shoot from the hip, never repair the damage that is done, blame it on "we can't go back now", rather than doing some simple long-term planning. It shouldn't be one person's decision, without consultation, information, impact assessments, etc. It just shouldn't happen the way it is happening. And I will always stand by my belief in that I know why most people come to Belize. It's to GET AWAY FROM THE RAT RACE!! Not to jump right back into it. They don't want Cancun, they want peace and quiet. They want quaintness. Look at the videos they post on youtube. It's the sandy roads, the bicycles, the golf carts, the wildlife, the palm trees. Not loud taxi's, not speeding vehicles, not traffic back up's because of all of the vehicles that have no place on an island of this size and lack of infrastructure. And I for one detest all of the outsiders that come here and then want to change it. If you didn't like it the way it was, why move/buy here. I came to live like a Belizean, and become part of their culture. Not to try and change it and them. I would have stayed where I was had that been what I wanted. And to this day, when I buy materials, I have them brought to my house using a local boat owner, or a local with a golf cart and trailer. My comments have absolutely zero to do with NIMBY. I am an environmental/animal/behavioral scientist, and I adhere to my beliefs by the decisions I make and the actions I take.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
2 members (dabunk, JayinOhio), 228 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.