Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Hello! We are traveling to Ambergris in March and have a teenager who needs to be gluten free. Can anyone recommend places to eat or grocery shop?
thank you!

Gluten free, Hmmmm! Just getting unspoiled meats and such is iffy sometimes. This ain't the US or the like. Selections aren't the greatest.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Greenhouse for shopping. Might want to bring a few spacial quick snacks along as well. Nuts & fruit are healthy snacks readily available.
I have a friend who has this issue and he has no problem ordering food in restaurants - he chooses carefully from the menu and enjoys his food. Salads, grilled fish, etc - all good.

Hon Offline
My guess is that most restaurants will cook you a gluten free meal as long as you yourself are aware of the foods that contain gluten. Stay with basic things like rice and beans, tacos made with corn tortillas, grilled meats and fish without sauce (but with homemade salsa should be fine), fruits and veggies etc. Take the time to explain that your teen cannot have anything that contains wheat or wheat flour and I'm sure you will be taken care of. I think gluten free is actually easy around here.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
JZB Offline
Blue Water Grill
Wild Mangos
Caliente
Red Ginger
Elvis Kitchen

These restaurants are very accommodating to diners allergic to gluten. I've eaten at all of them with a friend who has celiac. Before ordering, just make sure your server understands that you (your teenager) has a gluten allergy. You would be surprised how knowledagle these little small town restaurants are. wink

I'm sure more restaurants are gluten-free-friendly but these are the ones I can personally vouch for. You will definately not go hungry!

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks to everyone who answered my question! Great ideas! We can't wait to be there!
Michelle

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.