Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#483870 01/23/14 07:16 PM
H
OP Offline
H
I am a 52 year old single woman perhaps looking to retire in Ambergris Caye. I was hoping to come on a vacation this year to check out the island. Can someone give me an insight on safety for a single woman on your beautiful island? If I take precautions at night and walking alone, would I feel safe on my own?

E
E
If you are "Close Combat" qualified, you should be just fine.

T
T
The simple answer to that questions is yes. You have to use common sense and always be aware. Stumbling down the beach drunk at 3:00AM while fanning yourself with $100 bills is not recommended.

C
C
I'm also a woman of a certain age, living alone in San Pedro. I love it! I think it's a wonderful place for women to visit and live on their own. I feel more free and about as safe here as when I lived in Philadelphia, Chicago, Cleveland, and Birmingham Alabama. I don't generally walk the beach alone at night, or go to clubs alone, or wear flashy jewelry, or leave tempting items in tempting places. I walk like I know what I'm doing, acknowledging the people I see. Out & about I usually wear my purse across my chest after a friend fake grabbed it from his bike (to make a point). If for some reason I didn't think it was safe for me to walk somewhere alone, I'd spring for a taxi. I pay attention to the security measures locals take, and ask my friends about how to do what I want relatively safely (or if it's just not a good idea). In fact, when I moved I asked friends to find a safe and cheap place for me. They found one with metal window blinds, a strong door plus screen door, and families around. When I'm home asleep, I keep my solid door locked but when awake I often keep it open to catch the breeze. When I'm going on a trip (like fishing at Turneffe or exploring the mainland), I tell at least one other person where I'm going, with whom and when I expect to be back; and I let my traveling companions know someone knows all that. I also usually follow the Belizean custom of being friendly and letting few people into my home. How safe you'd feel is hard for me to say. I hope you do come and see how it suits you.

I don't know who cleanhead is but she does have a clear head. I totally agree. If you don't buy drugs from drug dealers you will be even safer.

I am 76 and have been coming here since '98 and have lived here for a year. have never felt afraid. If you know how to have the right attitude in the states bring it with you.

Common sense and a good dog are your best allies. There are a lot of single mature women on the island who do not hang out in bars.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I agree with cleanhead 100%. I have been coming to San Pedro alone since 2006. Be smart about your actions and be aware of your surroundings.

A hug is the shortest distance between friends. ~ Author Unknown
I am 57 and have been to San Pedro a lot since 2004 (coming back in April) and have always felt safe. However, I too use common sense and don't take chances such as walking the beach alone at night and I'm particular about the streets I walk on after dark too. My plan is to retire there within the next 2-5 years I love it so much.

Brenda from East Tennessee
S
S
I have lived in San Pedro for > 6 years and feel less safe than ever! No way would I move here as a single female and have to constantly monitor every movement, but that is just me...

P
P
I have lived here almost 13 years and recently persuaded my 73 yr old Mum (don't tell her I posted her age in public) to move down and live in her own place. Unsurprisingly I wouldn't have done this if I didn't think she'd be safe.

Will she be safe? Shit happens and maybe not, but she's a hell of a lot safer than she would have been in most 1st World Cities in the same circumstance - and it's a hell of a lot nicer here too.

It's about Quality not Quantity.

P
P
I didn't mean that to belittle SnoopysMom. Just give a flip side to the coin. She's right, it has changed. So has everywhere else I'd imagine and safe is relative to where and what you are used to. We never locked our doors when we first moved here - well once we got used to not locking them automatically that is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.