Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#483990 - 01/25/14 04:02 AM Photographing Belize from the Air
Marty Offline

Over the last 20 years, Tony Rath and LightHawk have teamed up to photograph the jungles, coastline, and reefs of Belize from the air countless times. Tony shares what heís learned over the years about making aerial images with LightHawk.

My flight day begins with a motion sickness pill and a good breakfast. Even the hardiest stomach can churn when banked 45 degrees while peering through a viewfinder. A peek into my gear bag reveals two camera bodies, two wide angle and a couple telephoto lenses, extra batteries and CF cards. If we will be shooting over water, then a polarizer filter is a must. A flash (for in plane photos), batteries, lens cleaning equipment, and notebook and pen round out my kit. I slip on long pants, t-shirt and a long sleeve shirt, as it can get cold at altitude. A pair of hiking boots rounds out this photographerís ensemble – a holdover from my military days.

One rainstorm following the other in the Turneffe Atoll, Belize. Tony Rath Photography

One rainstorm following the other in the Turneffe Atoll, Belize. Tony Rath Photography

LightHawk volunteer pilots excel at pre-flight planning. Maps are unfolded, routes drawn, and our mission discussed until we are all on the same page. Weather is carefully studied, forms are signed, last minute instructions given and then we board the plane.† The whole process is professional and exhilarating.

There are two things you should know about these flights. First, they are photographer friendly. They have to be. LightHawk collaborates with photographers not only to capture unique perspectives of our environment, but to assist conservation efforts across North and Central America.

Second, understand that these are great pilots. They know where the sun is and to keep it at my back (unless requested otherwise). They know how to circle so the subjects stays within my view, not theirs. They know when to ease up, climb high, avoid bad weather and follow a pre-arranged flight. All this means that I can concentrate on collecting visual data or unique perspectives.

Lighthawk airplane taking off. Tony Rath Photography

Lighthawk airplane taking off. Tony Rath Photography

The LightHawk pilots also put safety as their top priority. My wife likes knowing that Iím secured by a harness with multiple points of attachment, in addition to the regular seatbelt, when we fly with the rear door removed. Voice-activated headphones allow direct communication with the pilot, and other passengers on board, including the mission leader who guides the flight.

There is no more efficient way of spotting a jabiru stork or harpy eagle nest than gliding above the jungle canopy. Climb 1,000 feet above the sea and manatees, dolphins and whales suddenly appear. Steep banking at the first call of “manatee” allows me to locate, focus and document the creature in its nature habitat. Biologists on board make note of the precise location, numbers and species of the mammals.

Biologists record the GPS coordinates of marine mammals spotted during the LightHawk survey flight. Tony Rath Photography

Biologists record the GPS coordinates of marine mammals spotted during the LightHawk survey flight. Tony Rath Photography

In dozens of flights with LightHawk volunteer pilots, Iíve learned that seeing the world from above lends a perspective that changes hearts, minds and often policy. The curve of the earth, and the immensity and complexity of our environment reveals a hidden beauty, hidden no longer due to the symbiosis of the LightHawk pilot and the photographer.

Photographer Tony Rath self portrait with Cessna 206. Tony Rath Photography

Photographer Tony Rath self portrait with Cessna 206. Tony Rath Photography

Tony Rath has worked as a diver and underwater photographer for the Smithsonian Institution; diving on oilrigs off California; and captaining a sailboat across the Atlantic Ocean and through the Mediterranean and North Seas. He first visited Belize in 1979, and moved there permanently in 1988. Since then he has explored and photographed most of Belize by land, sea and air.

National Geographic

#484213 - 01/27/14 10:00 AM Re: Photographing Belize from the Air [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
FANTASTIC! Thank you for sharing.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (lovey and thurston, 4 invisible), 40 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,300 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.